The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm now in possession of a gleaming new A7R III - watching the battery charge from 1 bar to 3 bars is agonising! (just reached 1 bar after 40 mins or so).

Well.. just tried the new camera with the Metabones V and a Canon 24-70mm USM II and the Eye EF is epic and I love the focus peaking feature - amaze balls!

The Sony 70-200mm f2.8 OSS (or whatever it is called) arrives tomorrow so will be interesting to see how the AF speed compares. Either way, I'm going to have a busy weekend. :D

Nope. Great battery life, excellent AF (not quite as good as the D5 but still bloody great). Weather sealing questionable. TBH amazing camera.

Also check lenses suit. I know you like your quality.

What's wrong with the quality of the Sony lenses? aren't they on par with the canon 24-70 and 70-200?

I love the Leica SL quality, shame it's not built for fast AF work.

Is there any reason not to choose A9 for

Weddings
Fashion Walks - needing multiple good photos of every model in quick succession (buffer rate/af)
Mixed light/led theatre rehearsals/events/performance
Sports, outdoor/indoor
Orchestral performances

with it's silent shutter ability and "super AF", buffer should be fine too right to keep going?

Consistency, reliability important - I don't want to be missing shots, unless I messed up.

it's seems like it's going to be the perfect camera on spec.

What's wrong with the quality of the Sony lenses? aren't they on par with the canon 24-70 and 70-200?

I love the Leica SL quality, shame it's not built for fast AF work.

Is there any reason not to choose A9 for

Weddings
Fashion Walks - needing multiple good photos of every model in quick succession (buffer rate/af)
Mixed light/led theatre rehearsals/events/performance
Sports, outdoor/indoor
Orchestral performances

with it's silent shutter ability and "super AF", buffer should be fine too right to keep going?

Consistency, reliability important - I don't want to be missing shots, unless I messed up.

it's seems like it's going to be the perfect camera on spec.

The zooms are very good, the primes have mixed build. Nikon now has the best 70200.

Sony doesn't actively go on about weather sealing, from what I've read it's no pentax/Canikon, do a bit of research.

Mixed light you may get some banding.

No camera is perfect.

Nope. Great battery life
"Great" compared to what?

Official manufacturers' figures:
* Canon 1D X Mk II = 1210
* Canon 5D Mk IV = 900
* Sony A9 = 480

One other thing to consider is whether you'll get on with the electronic viewfinder. The EVF on the A9 is a big improvement on the A7, but even so it suffers from pixellation, moiré, and flicker under artificial light. I could live with it, perhaps, but on balancr I think personally I'd rather not. Some people definitely can't. Most of the people posting here apparently can. YMMV.

One other thing to consider is whether you'll get on with the electronic viewfinder. The EVF on the A9 is a big improvement on the A7, but even so it suffers from pixellation, moiré, and flicker under artificial light. I could live with it, perhaps, but on balancr I think personally I'd rather not. Some people definitely can't. Most of the people posting here apparently can. YMMV.

His SL has an evf.

I'm now in possession of a gleaming new A7R III - watching the battery charge from 1 bar to 3 bars is agonising! (just reached 1 bar after 40 mins or so).

I got mine just before Christmas, bought an extra battery as a matter of course, Charged the first one, put it in the camera and didn't need to replace it for two weeks!!!

I got mine just before Christmas, bought an extra battery as a matter of course, Charged the first one, put it in the camera and didn't need to replace it for two weeks!!!
But how many pics did you take! ;) I've had a battery in a Nikon D300S for over a year that I haven't used, and there is still about 80% charge still in it. :LOL:

Honestly get the A9 for your needs @Dan as it can do what you want it to do but in a much lighter body vs a 1dx2 or d5..

This is where the A9 really shines. Pro work in taxing conditions/scenarios

In a bizarre twist I have decided to part with my Sigma 35mm Art and NOT replace it with another, not even the FE when it is finally announced! Although I do love the lens and think that it is excellent, I have just been going through my LR metadata and discovered that out of all the shots Ive taken most are at either f4 or above. So in theory most of the images could have been taken with the 16-35 f4. The only reason Ive tended to keep it was for the low light ability, In reality most of the shots taken in low light could have been taken with a wider lens (and probably would have looked better). Ultimately this is helping me justify my latest bout of GAS as I am contemplating getting either the Batis 18mm or 25mm for landscapes and maybe a touch of astro. The Laowa 15mm is appealing but Im not sure about the lack of AF or weather resistance

But how many pics did you take! ;) I've had a battery in a Nikon D300S for over a year that I haven't used, and there is still about 80% charge still in it. :LOL:

Only a few hundred, most of my time was taken going through and sorting out the menu options, custom settings etc,

Got my new A9 delivered. Looking for a messenger style bag to carry in and a few prime lenses during weddings. Mainly 28 55 and 85 primes to keep it as light as possible. Any suggestions? Also a small Godox flash too.

Billingham Hadley pro? got my A7riii + 50mm fitted, 85mm F1.8, fuji X-pro1 + 35mm 1.4 fitted, 60mm F2.4 macro, + hoods for all the previous lenses, + Panasonic LX100, + XiTs & TT350s + odds and ends in mine and theres a pocket in the back for a small laptop or iPad.

Last edited:
Back