The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Is 7000 actuations a lot for a used A7? I have spotted one for a decent price but dont know if this is high?

7000 isn’t high in my opinion, as long as the body is tidy and functioning it should be ok. :)
The original A7 does represent good value but keep in mind that Sony lens prices aren’t cheap.
The Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 pair really well with the A7, making it a rather small/light setup.
Keep a spare battery or two if you intend to shoot a lot.

Ello, long time no see :D

Well, i've been in NZ for just short of 5 months now, however, i've been that busy i've not had much time for photography, however, it hasn't stopped me GASsing :D

Just purchased a Sigma 16mm F/1.4 and Sony FE 70-300 G OSS yesterday, the sigma worked out at $669nz (about £330), which i've just noticed is about £100 less than UK pricing, the Sony, i got from the Sony store here in Auckland, it was up for $2499, i was going to hire it for a cruise i'm going on, but it would have been $400 to hire, so i thought sod it, i want it, i may as well buy it, so i agreed to buy it for $2499, went to the till to buy it, they said i could have it for $2124 (£1030ish). I wasn't going to argue with that haha. Anyway, that gets delivered on Friday and completes my kit now. However, i'mm not happy with my manfrotto tri medium backpack so that's going to have to change soon. Also, now, i just need to get out and use my kit now LOL.

Well you are living in a beautiful country so should be plenty of opportunities to get out shoot. I’d love to go back to NZ.

Off to Amsterdam tonight for a long weekend, considering taking the least kit I’ve taken in a long time:

A7riii
Batis 18mm
Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f2
Sony 85mm f1.8 FE

Leaving the 24-70 at home, am I mad???

Feel like I’m missing something around 50mm.....

Off to Amsterdam tonight for a long weekend, considering taking the least kit I’ve taken in a long time:

A7riii
Batis 18mm
Sony 85mm f1.8 FE

Just take the Sony A7R III, Sony 24-70mm and 85mm lenses :D

A7riii
Batis 18mm
Sony 85mm f1.8 FE

Just take the Sony A7R III, Sony 24-70mm and 85mm lenses :D

Just leave all the camera gear at home and get stoned for the whole weekend. :wideyed:

A7riii
Batis 18mm
Sony 85mm f1.8 FE

From your list my choice would be the camera and the 28mm.

Have a nice time :D

Or better still the Mk1, less of a loss when you fall in a canal with it. Mine made it back with me.

I bought a 1" compact Panny TZ100 to see what all the fuss was about and I think it's pretty good :D It's not as good as MFT and the pictures are a bit soft when looking closely but for whole image use it's fine and the pictures can take quite a bit of ham fisted processing such as boosting the shadows without falling apart.

For anyone who's interested there's a thread...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/panasonic-tz100.653653/

Any details about how the A9 performs in mechanical shutter mode?

So far I've understood the EVF stutters as you shoot and AF tracking is diminished between shots.

Anyone got any first hand experience with this, compared to electronic shutter, to help me understand how limiting it would be?

Also would you buy an A9 just to use mechanical shutter? for the most taxing event.

Last edited:
Any details about how the A9 performs in mechanical shutter mode?

So far I've understood the EVF stutters as you shoot and AF tracking is diminished between shots.

Anyone got any first hand experience with this, compared to electronic shutter, to help me understand how limiting it would be?

Also would you buy an A9 just to use mechanical shutter? for the most taxing event.

Why buy an a9 to use mechanical and crippled af and 5fps? Kinda pointless when even a mid or entry ff DSLR would perform better.

Why buy an a9 to use mechanical and crippled af and 5fps? Kinda pointless when even a mid or entry ff DSLR would perform better.

Thanks, just wanted to confirm what I was thinking was correct.

The most taxing event which I had me considering the A9, I'd have to gimp the A9 because it won't fire flashes in electronic shutter mode. So indeed it would be a pointless purchase

Thanks, just wanted to confirm what I was thinking was correct.

The most taxing event which I had me considering the A9, I'd have to gimp the A9 because it won't fire flashes in electronic shutter mode. So indeed it would be a pointless purchase

D850

In all my years of using flash I've never ever shot at 5 frames a second and the flash could keep up.

My usage of flash with the A9 has been as good as any dslr I've owned (for my usage)

90% of my photography doesn't involve alot of flash so it wasnt too big of a deal to me either way, though I'm pleasantly surprised

The A9 is by far and away the best camera I've ever used. Nothing else comes close IMO

In all my years of using flash I've never ever shot at 5 frames a second and the flash could keep up.

My usage of flash with the A9 has been as good as any dslr I've owned (for my usage)

90% of my photography doesn't involve alot of flash so it wasnt too big of a deal to me either way, though I'm pleasantly surprised

The A9 is by far and away the best camera I've ever used. Nothing else comes close IMO
This is the opinion of many photographers out in the field. :)

Maybe but this is a chat forum on 'tinternet so you have to get into character and throw hyperbole and insults left right and centre which should be easy as we all know that any DSLR is smaller, lighter, cheaper and just better in every way :D

My flashes (portable strobes or whatever) will fire 100% of the time at 1/128th at 11 FPS until my buffer fills at 33 shots.

5 FPS shouldn't be any kind of an issue.

Last edited:
Maybe but this is a chat forum on 'tinternet so you have to get into character and throw hyperbole and insults left right and centre which should be easy as we all know that any DSLR is smaller, lighter, cheaper and just better in every way :D

I feel the whole "Who needs to do that? the camera works fine for me" defensive line is in character.

It's difficult to actually find people who want to discuss cameras objectively.

I feel the whole "Who needs to do that? the camera works fine for me" defensive line is in character.

It's difficult to actually find people who want to discuss cameras objectively.

I'm not having a pop at you or your needs and you weren't in mind when I posted so there's no need for you to get upset... I've seen your pictures and I've read your posts and I believe you use kit in the real world and that you have real requirements but we've all seen people who complain about kit and features and insist they need this or that ability and perhaps we suspect they live in an internet forum fantasy land.

Clarification over... Carry on :D

I'm not having a pop at you or your needs and you weren't in mind when I posted so there's no need for you to get upset... I've seen your pictures and I've read your posts and I believe you use kit in the real world and that you have real requirements but we've all seen people who complain about kit and features and insist they need this or that ability and perhaps we suspect they live in an internet forum fantasy land.
Confucius he say........"when in a hole stop digging" ;)

Getting some other input on the A9 AF in mechanical mode, yes the EVF 'lags' or 'stutters' but it does not affect the AF performance :) which is good.

For anyone interested in the 24-105 at the bargain price of £1062 on pre-order at Amazon (has been in my basket for a while), the xxxxxxx’s have put the price up to £1200 today

I wonder what the new Tamron is? Or maybe part ex my 16-35 for the 24-70 f2.8!

The Sony A9 beast is back in my hands, Sony have given it a full checkup too.
The repair was a lot more than just a new screw it seems. (See letter)
Unfortunately it was reset to factory defaults :(

IMG_0116.jpg

Back