The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Aaaaanywaaaaay...

The rumor site says that Sony will announce something new on the 26th, the A7III seems to be favourite at 60% chance, they say.

Read all about it...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-product-announcement-february-26/#disqus_thread

I doubt I'll buy an A7III any time soon but for when and if I'm tempted I hope it has an electronic shutter for silent shooting and a focus joystick. Other stuff that could be nice might include being able to link spot metering to the focus point but I don't think anyone has mentioned that. Can any A7x do that?

I did wonder is Sony were holding the A7III back to announce it close to any Canikon CSC announcement. I wonder what Canikon will do and when :D

Aaaaanywaaaaay...

The rumor site says that Sony will announce something new on the 26th, the A7III seems to be favourite at 60% chance, they say.

Read all about it...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-product-announcement-february-26/#disqus_thread

I doubt I'll buy an A7III any time soon but for when and if I'm tempted I hope it has an electronic shutter for silent shooting and a focus joystick. Other stuff that could be nice might include being able to link spot metering to the focus point but I don't think anyone has mentioned that. Can any A7x do that?

I did wonder is Sony were holding the A7III back to announce it close to any Canikon CSC announcement. I wonder what Canikon will do and when :D

I think an a7iii will appeal to most. Well those who don’t need or want 20fps or super high resolution.

It’s going to be interesting for mirrorless users over the next 12 months if Nikon and Canon finally release something good!§

Agreed but “something good” may not cut it anymore as Nikon & Canon’s tried and tested approach will only last so long.
It’s got to make waves, a game changer etc

Agreed but “something good” may not cut it anymore as Nikon & Canon’s tried and tested approach will only last so long.
It’s got to make waves, a game changer etc

A mirrorless d850. Job done.
I don’t think the camera will be the issue. It’ll be playing catch up on the new glass mount

Thinking I might grab an A9 and zoom lens and see how I get on with it before making any rash decisions, Panamoz are out of stock - any good alternatives? or is it all like this

Thinking I might grab an A9 and zoom lens and see how I get on with it before making any rash decisions, Panamoz are out of stock - any good alternatives? or is it all like this
DigitalRev?

Your right, and because of this, Sony have a healthy head start with their G

So basically Nikon are in big trouble by the sounds of it :D

quite possibly yes. which is bad. bad for sony users too. with reduced competition there will be less need to innovate and could mean they will drive their own prices up.

saying that. lets give Nikon some credit. they may release a top end dslr like mirrorless alongside a holy trinity of pro glass. imagine that.

Unless they bring out a 1st party adapter that works very well.
I think they will, but it will just add size and weight.
I can understand why Nikon wan't to go down the new mount route, as this will increase revenue but there is another option too ...

....why not just get a Nikon D850, strip out the old DSLR technology and then replace the internals with cutting edge mirrorless technology keeping everything else the same?
Keep the same lenses/mount and do the same for each of their bodies step by step.... after all there isn't anything wrong Nikon's body design / durability etc.

Nikon and Canon have the “luxury” though of already being way ahead in the DSLR market (whereas Sony were already basically dying in that market when the E Mount was launched)

It may take the pressure off new lenses a little if existing users can A: effectively adapt their existing stuff and B: (Probably more for pro’s) can migrate over to mirrorless gradually, especially as I’d say there’s no way that either Canon or Nikon can release something that’s going to effectively replace all of their main full frame models as they’re too different (5DIV, 5DS/R, 1D).. in fact Canon probably more than anyone seem more keen to keep a lot of differentiation between different models....

Nikon “could” do a mirrorless D850 but based on the current market I’d say the D850 and A7riii are the biggest games in town, why would Nikon threaten that? It’s much more likely we see a D610 level mirrorless from them first I’d say...

quite possibly yes. which is bad. bad for sony users too. with reduced competition there will be less need to innovate and could mean they will drive their own prices up.

saying that. lets give Nikon some credit. they may release a top end dslr like mirrorless alongside a holy trinity of pro glass. imagine that.

That would be awesome, a Nikon A9 with Nikkor Master lenses... :D
I do like Nikon as a brand and I hope they can recover ......

I was having a long chat with my dealership and the real-life sales at the tills is shocking.
They have seen a 50% sales decrease with Canon and Nikon is even worse.
Where as Sony is hitting and surpassing their yearly sales targets year on year. Fuji and Olympus are following the same incline.
The crossing point between Canon sales declines and Sony sales increases isn't far off apparently. :eek:

That would be awesome, a Nikon A9 with Nikkor Master lenses... :D
I do like Nikon as a brand and I hope they can recover ......

I was having a long chat with my dealership and the real-life sales at the tills is shocking.
They have seen a 50% sales decrease with Canon and Nikon is even worse.
Where as Sony is hitting and surpassing their yearly sales targets year on year. Fuji and Olympus are following the same incline.
The crossing point between Canon sales declines and Sony sales increases isn't far off apparently. :eek:

It’s funny though because depending where you go you get a different story, my local shop (Calumet/WEX) barely sold any Sony to the extent that they didn’t really stock much of it, been forced to now since the WEX takeover! But still it appears Canon/Nikon/Fuji is selling a lot more in there, hard to make judgements based on individual stores I guess!

It’s funny though because depending where you go you get a different story, my local shop (Calumet/WEX) barely sold any Sony to the extent that they didn’t really stock much of it, been forced to now since the WEX takeover! But still it appears Canon/Nikon/Fuji is selling a lot more in there, hard to make judgements based on individual stores I guess!
Very true but Nikon's yearly figures have been going in the wrong direction.
If their mirrorless venture fails it could hurt them hard.
So I can understand why they have not rushed into the mirrorless market but its been a bit of "chicken & egg" situation for them.

So I can understand why they have not rushed into the mirrorless market but its been a bit of "chicken & egg" situation for them.

I was quite excited before the D850 reveal about the rumours of an EVF, nothing Sony hasn’t done with the A99/A99ii but you just feel its going to take Nikon or Canon to do it before folk properly accept it in a DSLR body.

Mirrorless tech isn’t about size now (hell the A7riii, Fuji X-H1, etc are getting bigger) but about tech, I personally wouldn’t accept a body smaller than the current A7riii (and even then I need to have at least a decent size L-Grip or Battery Grip on it to be comfy), but just adding some of the tech goodies into say a D850 body would be awesome!

Having used both in the last month (and almost deciding to keep the D850 over the A7riii) I can honestly say that especially with a big lens (24-70) for me anyway the handling of the Nikon frankly poos all over the Sony... that’s somewhere Canon and Nikon can stay on top - add in an EVF, Good Live View, etc but without compromising on size, durability and speed and pro’s will stay where they are....

What worries me is that Nikon and Canon have very loyal followings and even if they bring out a mirrorless camera that's cr@p it'll very probably sell very well. Look at the Canon M series, granted I haven't read the reviews for a while but the last I read tended to give the impression that it was... less than cutting edge... but apparently Canon are number one in some mirrorless markets so people must be buying not because it's cutting edge but because of the badge. I'm sure there are many people who'd rather buy a Canon or Nikon Sopwith Camel rather than a Sony/Fuji Typhoon. Yes a small percentage will want to use their DSLR lenses but maybe market percentage wise they'll be a small percentage and I do think that brand loyalty is a big factor.

It's not that I'm a Sony fan boy or a Canikon hater, I had a Nikon SLR for decades and Canon DSLR's for maybe 10 years but I'd like to see kit sell on merit rather than largely on the badge.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think Nikon are in so much trouble that they are at risk of folding/not being able to crack the mirrorless market.

Who knows, they may have been developing a monster and holding back until Sony iron out the mirrorless issues with focussing abilities etc. They may have a massive lens lineup ready to go upon release etc. Who knows?

Admittedly it'd be a bit of an odd way to do it and also they will need a range of consumer, enthusiast and pro systems ideally.

I reckon they have some sort of strategy around this, whether it will work or not remains to be seen.

Or, they could have just messed up and missed a massive chunk of the market...

I was quite excited before the D850 reveal about the rumours of an EVF, nothing Sony hasn’t done with the A99/A99ii but you just feel its going to take Nikon or Canon to do it before folk properly accept it in a DSLR body.

Mirrorless tech isn’t about size now (hell the A7riii, Fuji X-H1, etc are getting bigger) but about tech, I personally wouldn’t accept a body smaller than the current A7riii (and even then I need to have at least a decent size L-Grip or Battery Grip on it to be comfy), but just adding some of the tech goodies into say a D850 body would be awesome!

Having used both in the last month (and almost deciding to keep the D850 over the A7riii) I can honestly say that especially with a big lens (24-70) for me anyway the handling of the Nikon frankly poos all over the Sony... that’s somewhere Canon and Nikon can stay on top - add in an EVF, Good Live View, etc but without compromising on size, durability and speed and pro’s will stay where they are....

For me they should use the D750 style/size body and get rid of the built in flash, thus being able to shave the front of the flash section (like Sony has) and reduce the height by about 0.5-1cm. That would be spot on.

Thoms been slating Nikon for a while yet they were America's top ilc manufacturer over the busiest period of 2017.

and

" the major Japanese store Map Camera just published their top selling cameras for January 2018:

1. Nikon D850
  2. Sony α7R III
  3. Panasonic LUMIX G9 PRO
  4. Fujifilm X100F
  5. Canon EOS 6D Mark II
  6. Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
  7. Olympus Tough TG-5
  8. Olympus PEN E-PL 8
  9. Fujifilm X-T2
  10. Fujifilm X-T20
The Nikon D850 was also their top selling camera for 2017 followed by the Sony a7r3.

... and The D850 continues to be out of stock in the US... obviously not selling well there.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think Nikon are in so much trouble that they are at risk of folding/not being able to crack the mirrorless market.

Who knows, they may have been developing a monster and holding back until Sony iron out the mirrorless issues with focussing abilities etc. They may have a massive lens lineup ready to go upon release etc. Who knows?

Admittedly it'd be a bit of an odd way to do it and also they will need a range of consumer, enthusiast and pro systems ideally.

I reckon they have some sort of strategy around this, whether it will work or not remains to be seen.

Or, they could have just messed up and missed a massive chunk of the market...

Having worked in manufacturing with companies from all over the world... All the manufacturers have access to the more or less the same technologies (but limited sometimes and to some extent by patents etc...) and even to the same people. The difference is that some companies can't or wont spend the money and effort to become competitive either in people or product and when you've got Japanese companies in the mix there can be a reluctance to admit they're wrong and change tack.

Honest, some of the exchanges I've had with far eastern companies beggers belief.

So, Nikon could do it... but will they is a very different question.

Having worked in manufacturing with companies from all over the world... All the manufacturers have access to the more or less the same technologies (but limited sometimes and to some extent by patents etc...) and even to the same people. The difference is that some companies can't or wont spend the money and effort to become competitive either in people or product and when you've got Japanese companies in the mix there can be a reluctance to admit they're wrong and change tack.

Honest, some of the exchanges I've had with far eastern companies beggers belief.

So, Nikon could do it... but will they is a very different question.

This, Canikon have been playing the waiting game and been to arrogant. Lets hope they have caught a wake up and release something great.

Last edited:

It's a great camera, id personally buy from a well known retailer if spending this kind of cash. Wait for panamoz or dr stock.

Last edited:
This, Canikon have been playing the waiting game and been to arrogant. Lets hope they have caught a wake up and release something great.

Yeah to be fair part of me does wonder if they have been doing it but passed it to some sort of sub design team and said ‘Sony are doing this thing, camera without a mirror or something, have a look it at seeing if we can have a go if you get time’

Yeah to be fair part of me does wonder if they have been doing it but passed it to some sort of sub design team and said ‘Sony are doing this thing, camera without a mirror or something, have a look it at seeing if we can have a go if you get time’

Why do all the r&d when someone else can ;) Get samsung to produce the sensor, the nx1 af was nuts ime, miles better than any other mirrorless at the time. They should've stuck around.

Thoms been slating Nikon for a while yet they were America's top ilc manufacturer over the busiest period of 2017.
No they weren't. Their press release said they sold the most full-frame ILCs, in the USA, in December. Note the number of qualifications in that statement. December isn't the busiest period, Black Friday / Cyber Monday (in November) is. And apparently they were out-sold when you add in crop-sensor ILCs, because otherwise they wouldn't have had to mention full-frame.

Back