The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sony has posted about grey imports, they really don't seem to want to know them, when it comes to repairs/recalls etc your on your own.

"Sony has been made aware that a number of retailers import genuine Sony goods from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) & Switzerland for sale to EEA & Swiss consumers. Often these products are intended for the US or Asian markets that may require different standards and legal compliance.

If you are a resident in the EEA or Switzerland and buy a product from one of these retailers or purchase a product outside of the EEA & Switzerland, we would like you to be aware that there are risks associated with buying what is termed as a "Grey Import". A grey (or parallel) import may be described as a non-counterfeit product sourced from outside the EEA & Switzerland.

EEA & Swiss consumers may find that grey import products do not meet their expectations because the products were not configured and tailored for their local market. For example:

• They may not have a CE mark which is required under European laws and shows (i.a.) that the product meets European safety requirements and can therefore be placed on the European market.
  • Grey imports are not covered by the Sony EEA & Switzerland repair policy and therefore service support will not be covered by the Sony manufacturing guarantee*. This also means there is no in-warranty coverage even for dead on arrival products, at an EEA or Swiss repair centre. You can use the following link to learn more about our warranty policy:
    http://services.sony.co.uk/support/en/warranty/general.
  • Given that Sony does not intend to place grey import products on the EEA & Swiss market, such products are ineligible to benefit from European promotional campaigns.
  • The box may not contain an EEA or Swiss power supply (adapter/cord) or may potentially include a power supply that was not provided by Sony and therefore Sony was unable to run respective quality checks.
  • Products and accessories which were intended for different countries/regions might not be compatible with each other.
You can use the following link to find an authorised Sony dealer near you:
https://www.sony.co.uk/dealerlocator/search"

Sony has posted about grey imports, they really don't seem to want to know them, when it comes to repairs/recalls etc your on your own.

"Sony has been made aware that a number of retailers import genuine Sony goods from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) & Switzerland for sale to EEA & Swiss consumers. Often these products are intended for the US or Asian markets that may require different standards and legal compliance.

If you are a resident in the EEA or Switzerland and buy a product from one of these retailers or purchase a product outside of the EEA & Switzerland, we would like you to be aware that there are risks associated with buying what is termed as a "Grey Import". A grey (or parallel) import may be described as a non-counterfeit product sourced from outside the EEA & Switzerland.

EEA & Swiss consumers may find that grey import products do not meet their expectations because the products were not configured and tailored for their local market. For example:

• They may not have a CE mark which is required under European laws and shows (i.a.) that the product meets European safety requirements and can therefore be placed on the European market.
  • Grey imports are not covered by the Sony EEA & Switzerland repair policy and therefore service support will not be covered by the Sony manufacturing guarantee*. This also means there is no in-warranty coverage even for dead on arrival products, at an EEA or Swiss repair centre. You can use the following link to learn more about our warranty policy:
  • Given that Sony does not intend to place grey import products on the EEA & Swiss market, such products are ineligible to benefit from European promotional campaigns.
  • The box may not contain an EEA or Swiss power supply (adapter/cord) or may potentially include a power supply that was not provided by Sony and therefore Sony was unable to run respective quality checks.
  • Products and accessories which were intended for different countries/regions might not be compatible with each other.
so all that waffle says is no warranty cover, nothing new or a surprise really is it, it says nothing about a problem paying them to repair it. so not on your own as far as i can see

Yes they are for sale. I have had one for about a month now. A word of caution though. Should you try to update the Firmware using a Mac the Samyang software lens station software doesn't seem to work. Fortunately I have a second laptop running Windows and it worked just fine.
Trev, I would be extremely greatful if you could lend me the dock so I can update my 35mm 1.4 I am buying

Totally understand if you can't but id post it back in bomb proof packaging lol

I have been thinking about moving from Nikon and going mirrorless for quite a while now and after the release of the latest Sony models, and trying one too, I think I'm ready to swap systems.
I'm trying to decide between the a7r iii and the a9....I wish the a9 had the pixel count of the a7riii or the a7 the autofocus of the a9 :)
So I'm thinking of going for the a9, it will work great for weddings, children and pets, as well as wildlife photography....then when I have a chance, and funds, I will probably get a used a7r for landscape and product photography and take advantage of the extra pixel count.

Does this sound like a good plan?

I have been thinking about moving from Nikon and going mirrorless for quite a while now and after the release of the latest Sony models, and trying one too, I think I'm ready to swap systems.
I'm trying to decide between the a7r iii and the a9....I wish the a9 had the pixel count of the a7riii or the a7 the autofocus of the a9 :)
So I'm thinking of going for the a9, it will work great for weddings, children and pets, as well as wildlife photography....then when I have a chance, and funds, I will probably get a used a7r for landscape and product photography and take advantage of the extra pixel count.

Does this sound like a good plan?
I done the same thing. However I got the A7R2 for when I need extra resolution

I absolutely love the A9. I find it to be the best camera I've ever owned. Simply amazing! You'll never look back

Costing a bit less than an A9...

I have an old manual 35mm lens arriving today and I'm quite excited :D

Does anyone have any experience with the A6000 kit lens (16-50 powerzoom)? I've just received one and I was surprised at how noisy it is when zooming. Using the powerzoom rocker it's quieter than using the lens ring to zoom. When using the lens ring I can almost feel it as much as hear it.

Not really sure that’s anything new to be honest, its always been the case that Panamoz or whoever else just pays for the repair, its not covered via the UK warranty at all.
Nikon have been known to honour recalls even with grey stock but they seem to be the exception.

Does anyone have any experience with the A6000 kit lens (16-50 powerzoom)? I've just received one and I was surprised at how noisy it is when zooming. Using the powerzoom rocker it's quieter than using the lens ring to zoom. When using the lens ring I can almost feel it as much as hear it.

If I remember correctly that is the norm. You use the rocker switch provided.

Normal.

Not really sure that’s anything new to be honest, its always been the case that Panamoz or whoever else just pays for the repair, its not covered via the UK warranty at all.
Nikon have been known to honour recalls even with grey stock but they seem to be the exception.

My point was what happens when Sony says no to working on it because it doesn't have a CE mark?

Bin it and get the 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T, it's just a gem with the A6000. (y)

It may be a lovely lens but it's also a big fat lump on a small camera and one of the reasons why I haven't bought into the A6xxx line is that there's no compact 24mm f1.8.

I've used the power zoom and found the power zoom part frustrating and next to impossible to get the framing spot on but I suppose it is compact.

It may be a lovely lens but it's also a big fat lump on a small camera and one of the reasons why I haven't bought into the A6xxx line is that there's no compact 24mm f1.8.

If there's no compact 24mm f1.8 why did you put a bid on an A6000 on eBay not very long ago?

If you're skint say so don't dream up excuses all the time.

I used a 16-50 for sometime and found it perfectly usable. How does someone asking for advice on the workings, warrant the slagging off of equipment?

If there's no compact 24mm f1.8 why did you put a bid on an A6000 on eBay not very long ago?

If you're skint say so don't dream up excuses all the time.

Mr Swiss, I retired at 49 so that I can spend my time on here reading your inane posts. Spending time making money seems so pointless when I can spend my time reading your little digs at people which by the way make me feel so much better about myself :D

Spending my hard earned (well, not really hard earned as I rarely actually worked hard) money is a different thing though as I know all my folding and change by name, they're all my friends and I hate parting with them unless it's for yet another 35 or 50mm lens to add to the absolute mountain of 35 and 50mm lenses I already own :D

Yes I'd sort of like to own an A6xxx but the lens situation does put me off as firstly there's no compact 24mm f1.8 to compare to my Oly 17mm f1.8 and secondly there's no nice compact standard range 2.8 zoom either to compare to my Panny 12-35mm f2.8 and then I get to thinking that the wide angle zoom is a big fat expensive lump compared to my Oly 9-18mm and the long zoom isn't tempting either compared to my tiny but adequate Panny 45-150mm and I realise that have just about everything covered by MFT and changing to an A6xxx has swings and roundabouts but mostly although tempting isn't all that tempting that I simply have too :( I might get one one day though :D

Can't believe that @Swiss Toni 's pointless/unhelpful post has had so much attention :D As has been pointed out I was not slagging the lens off merely trying to find out if the behavior I was experiencing was normal. Seems it is, so that's fine. Toni if you can tell me how to take shots wider than 24mm or longer than 24mm and somehow fit that lens into a jacket pocket then I'll maybe take your response a bit more seriously.

Ive always fancied an a6000 however when Sony messed up by removing the electronic level and failed to address the back dial but concentrated on speed, it made me look elsewhere. Not sure what it is but the a6300 & a6500 dont appeal? In the way of lenses I think Sony need to sharpen up their poor quality 16-70 as it is a nicely sized/weight unit.

Last edited:
Despite it's handling foibles (they really should IMO go back to a Nex 7 style body) and lens possible shortcomings I think that A6xxx system is an attractive system and if I didn't have a box full of MFT gear I'd probably buy into the system especially as it'd make sense as I could use the same lenses on both cameras, A7 and A6xxx. I'd certainly buy an A6xxx rather than live with Xtrans.

Having just reviewed some of my pics I think its finally time I learnt how to clean the sensor. At first I thought it was the lens, however I then checked multiple lenses and they are all the same.

Anyone got any recommendations on what to use?

Can't believe that @Swiss Toni 's pointless/unhelpful post has had so much attention :D As has been pointed out I was not slagging the lens off merely trying to find out if the behavior I was experiencing was normal. Seems it is, so that's fine. Toni if you can tell me how to take shots wider than 24mm or longer than 24mm and somehow fit that lens into a jacket pocket then I'll maybe take your response a bit more seriously.

If you don’t want AF, an OM Zuiko 24/2.8 fits nicely. If you want a real wide angle, the Samyang 12/2 is awesome and easily fits in a coat pocket.

Last edited:
For cleaning I use Eclipse fluid and Pec Pads.

I wrap a pec pad around a slice cut from an old credit card, tape it in place and then add a drop of fluid. I use a slice cut from a credit card because it flexes and I therefore can't put too much pressure on the sensor whilst cleaning.

I use pec pads and fluid rather than ready made cleaning pads not because I'm tight (honest :D) but because I'm tight and I could run out of cleaning pads but I'm unlikely to run out of fluid and pec pads :D

Having just reviewed some of my pics I think its finally time I learnt how to clean the sensor. At first I thought it was the lens, however I then checked multiple lenses and they are all the same.

Anyone got any recommendations on what to use?

It's not so bad. The thought of cleaning it is worse than the actual procedure!!

Back