The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Precisely what I've done. There are also discounts on memory cards available at wex when purchasing A7s. You never know I may even like the bag!

Would never get my cards from them that 32GB at £44 is £24.49 at MyMemory.

Likewise - I've a C/Y Zeiss 50mm that suffers mirror strike on my 5D and my FDs are compromised by the register distance being slightly longer than EF mount. I'm longing to try out my FD 20/2.8, 28/2.0, 35/2.0 SSC and 135/2.5 SC on one of these.

Have you tried a different adapter? I'm using those from seller Tesarphoto on ebay and have no probs with the 50/1.7 AE/MM or 50/1.4 AE/MM on 5D or 6D :)

My credit card, all by itself, just logged on to a well known seller and ordered me an A7+kit lens and I should be getting a fee bag with my order.
That's terrible Alan.... Shocking what CC's can do these days.

I look forward to seeing your 5D for sale ;)

That's terrible Alan.... Shocking what CC's can do these days.

I look forward to seeing your 5D for sale ;)

You wouldn't want it would you?I thought that like me you were a CSC fan.

It all depands on how the A7's EVF performs really. I don't shoot gigs any more but I'd like to do more night shooting and my G1 is worse than useless for it so if the A7 causes me eye strain I'll be keeping my 5D. If the Sony is usable in low light I'll probably sell my 5D and three remaining lenses.

I will probably get a GX7 too as I think I'd like to run the two systems (MFT + FF.)

No... not for me, but reckon you'll be selling up as I suspect the Sony will be a lot better than the 5d in terms of dynamic range....

I'm not sure that DR is that much of a problem in itself apart from the issue of hitting the max shutter speed and that shouldn't be a problem with a base ISO of 100 and a max shutter speed of 1/8000, at least it isn't a problem with my 5D and wasn't with my 20D.

My G1, despite having limited DR by todays standards does quite well with its in view histogram and as I've posted here several times, I actually find it easier to shoot in difficult lighting with my G1 and its histogram despite its lack of DR as with the 5D I have to guess how much compo to dial in... review... and probably shoot agian.

I've done several little side by side shots with my 5D and G1 and I have posted this example before...

I got this first time with my G1 and although I had to find a balance and the shadows had to be lifted it's ok and nothing is blown. With my 5D I'd have had to guess the exposure and getting it first time would really have been just luck.

Last edited:
Personally I think its great news Alan's credit card has ordered an A7 : exactly the kind of customer who's opinions I will value regarding this reasonably-priced compact-enough black&orange-enough short-flange 35mm digicam.
It appears to tick all the boxes, now let's see what it's really like.

Castle Cameras are advertising the 55mm at £699, which is £50 cheaper than Amazon and over £200 off list price

http://www.castlecameras.co.uk/sony-e-55mm-f18

Might be a mis-price as the listing says Supplier Code: SEL35F28Z.AE which is the 35 2.8. Worth a try in a case they honour it though? :) Might also be correct of course given that it's only £50 cheaper than amazon and therefore not an obvious mis-price?

Last edited:
Aha. They have the code for the 55/1.8 on the 35/2.8 page - I think they've got the two products mixed up.

Personally I think its great news Alan's credit card has ordered an A7 : exactly the kind of customer who's opinions I will value regarding this reasonably-priced compact-enough black&orange-enough short-flange 35mm digicam.
It appears to tick all the boxes, now let's see what it's really like.

And it's cost me... not a lot... as I made over £1,300 selling off DSLR lenses I haven't used for 6 months or more. If the A7 can fully replace my 5D I'll be able to sell some more gear and then the A7 will have been FREE! Or I may actually be in profit as long as no one mentions the 35 or 55mm too often.

Last edited:
Can't wait for it to get here, but I really need to figure out a lens lineup! Could get Canon EFS AF adapter and go with a 17-40L for a reasonable price, or I have the opportunity of a Nikon 17-35 that I can use on my S5, F100 and A7R for peanuts. Or I could get a Sigma 12-24 in Nikon mount that would also work on all 3 and be able to replace my Tokina 11-16 as well. Hmmm..... Sony better get an AF ultrawide in the bag early on or I'm going to be sleepless for a very long time!

I recently sold my Canon fit Sigma 12-24mm, it's an amazing lens and together with the Sigma 85mm f1.4 persuaded me to go for the 5D.

I think I'll be happy with my 50mm f1.4, 85mm f2 and a wide... I have 35mm f1.8 and 24 and 28mm f2.8's and any of those will make a nice three lens set.

Just for giggles, I opened up some a7 and a7r RAW files from Imaging Resource (http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera-reviews/sony/a7r/sony-a7rA7.HTM) in the Sony software and switched off noise reduction before exporting to TIF. Even when downsized to 20MP the images at ISO6400 and above show more noise than other cameras in the class including the D600, D800, 5D III and 6D. It also looks like the Sony files have been sharpened somehow in RAW, even with sharpening switched off. Hmm.

Last edited:
With this camera, I might have been persuaded to consider non-analogue image-making for the first time.

But sorry Sony, for me and my 'Street' stuff, I like a whispering shutter.

No definitive reviews yet, i'd expect them in couple of weeks along with the bodies. For the price i would expect them to be top quality.

Personally I'm much more interested in spec, bulk and weight than sharpness as I'm sure that the lenses will be sharp enough, it's just not something I'd worry about.

I've gone for the smaller size zeiss 35 from amazon at £598
and the sony a7 with kit lens direct from sony with 6.06% cash back with topcashback
not many reviews so i hope I've made the choice!!

Great stuff, and you can always buy yourself a legacy 50mm f1.7/1.8 for £15 and an adapter for £10.

I've ordered the kit lens for occasional use but until I get bored with them I'll mostly be using my manual Rokkors.

Looks like Adobe have the Camera RAW update for these now for those that wanted to check out the raw files.

Looks like Adobe have the Camera RAW update for these now for those that wanted to check out the raw files.

No time to do any full analysis or post any results but as the sales process normally involves two stages;
1. Why should I buy?
2. Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy?

I am at stage 2 and playing with the sample RAW files in Lightroom is quite marvelous. Detail and DR are very impressive. Mind you. I think a lot of my processing will have to be done on an 8GB RAM PC downstairs unless my new job supplies a high spec 64 bit laptop.

My CS5 wont open them and DNG wont convert them. I'm hoping that DNG will be updated but I know that CS5 will not be which annoys me very much as it was such an expensive package... in the region of £600 as I remember. I hope Adobe burn in hell... :mad:

I did manage to open some in UFRaw but they looked horrible and I couldn't rescue them so I will have to use the Sony software until DNG comes good.

I do want to avoid giving Adobe any more money after feeling as if I've been mugged over CS5 and if I have to buy anything I hope it can be a non Adobe product.

I think I'll wait and see how I get on with the Sony software or DNG as I don't really want to give Adobe any more money and therefore I don't want to download any Adobe software as I want to avoid giving them money if at all possible. If there's nothing else I'll have to give LR a go but at the moment I'll hold off... so bitter am I over CS5 not being able to use the latest version of camera raw.

FWIW, that's been how Adobe have played it with their Camera RAW updates since it first shipped - versions of Camera RAW released after a new version of Photoshop require the new version of Photoshop and new cameras are added to the new version of Camera RAW only.

I've been using a properly licensed coy of Photoshop since v2.5 back in the early 90s. I bought a CS6 upgrade to avoid having to move to Creative Cloud and its monthly fees, so I'll have to rely on Lightroom alone in future.

Decided im going to wait until the 24-70 is released and then buy that with an A7, i dont require the extra MPs the lack of AA filter would be nice but the A7 seems to have better features for use as a general use camera.

FWIW, that's been how Adobe have played it with their Camera RAW updates since it first shipped - versions of Camera RAW released after a new version of Photoshop require the new version of Photoshop and new cameras are added to the new version of Camera RAW only.

Just because they've always shafted customers doesn't make it any more acceptable. I paid in the region of £600 for software that they stopped updating 2 years later and the universe will end before I'll happily give them another penny of my money.

If they gave updates for a stated period, maybe 5 years, I could maybe accept what they've done but to get 2 years out of a £600 product and then find it wont work with new gear is very poor customer service IMVHO and I really hope someone brngs out an alternative that'll take the market from Adobe.

I should have learned my lesson after CS2 but I gave them another chance but twice bitten and no more and if I do but new softwere I'll try my best to make sure it's not Adobe.

My CS5 wont open them and DNG wont convert them. I'm hoping that DNG will be updated but I know that CS5 will not be which annoys me very much as it was such an expensive package... in the region of £600 as I remember. I hope Adobe burn in hell... :mad:

I did manage to open some in UFRaw but they looked horrible and I couldn't rescue them so I will have to use the Sony software until DNG comes good.

I do want to avoid giving Adobe any more money after feeling as if I've been mugged over CS5 and if I have to buy anything I hope it can be a non Adobe product.

Have you found a good bulk DNG converter btw?

Just a thought, the metaraw plugin is available for very little and lets you open raw files from new cameras in old releases of Photoshop. It uses the latest available dng converter and opens them in camera raw. Very nifty indeed and you can download a trial copy to check it works (I can now open 6D files in cs5). Obviously the latest dng converter needs to be available for download first though.

Just a thought, the metaraw plugin is available for very little and lets you open raw files from new cameras in old releases of Photoshop. It uses the latest available dng converter and opens them in camera raw. Very nifty indeed and you can download a trial copy to check it works (I can now open 6D files in cs5). Obviously the latest dng converter needs to be available for download first though.

Thanks. Have made a note of that.

I think a lot of my processing will have to be done on an 8GB RAM PC downstairs unless my new job supplies a high spec 64 bit laptop.

Conveniently enough, in the last couple of days, work has just provided me with a new 15" MacBook Pro Retina :)

Alan - when is the Sony due?

I think I read somewhere that they were due in in early December but I've had no ETA from the supplier as yet.

Back