The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If I told you that I'd have to kill you!
yo.gif
Ive heard that before :D

So the Wilkinson offer on the Sony A7 III ends tonight, really tempted to get one as a second body and try and put a end to Sony GAS. :D

£1700 is a good saving which includes 3 year extended warranty.

No more lenses as got all bases covered.

I was tempted until I couldn’t find the A7iii

I was tempted until I couldn’t find the A7iii

Just make sure you add their £1.99 cleaning cloths and boom, £300 off.
I’m going to give it a miss with the hope my local dealership can match it. :)
£1700 is a good price!

Been a while since posting on here, so here are some images from my only serious outing this year

First outing with my new 16-35 f/4 ordered for DigitalRev - glad I did in Jan as prices have gone through the roof now

A7r + 16-35 f/4
26494300268_5ba915f12d_c.jpg

A7r + 16-35 f/4
40616524312_874a8e097d_c.jpg

A7r + 16-35 f/4
40706623112_cf7c990542_c.jpg

A7 + 70-200 f/4
38903118300_164794a97d_c.jpg

Last edited:
How quickly do Sony prices tend to fall after initial release?

That's my reasoning, if you don't need it now then best to wait for price drops. There's a considerable price difference between Europe and the rest of the world so I'd expect the price to drop faster once demand isn't as high.

How quickly do Sony prices tend to fall after initial release?

About 6 months but sonys not really price cutting these days as they've changed their strategy. Plus, this camera is in worldwide shortage, the demand is very high..... supply and demand.

Imo it'll be a while before prices drop by 300 quid.

Last edited:
About 6 months but sonys not really price cutting these days as they've changed their strategy. Plus, this camera is in worldwide shortage, the demand is very high..... supply and demand.

I was tempted last night by the Wilkinson offer but needed to sleep on it. But alas the offer was ending so I didn’t make that call!

Does the A7iii share exact same screen as A7Riii? Just looking at screen protectors ‘just in case’ I got an A7iii.

I was tempted last night by the Wilkinson offer but needed to sleep on it. But alas the offer was ending so I didn’t make that call!
Me either :D but that hasn't ruled it out in the future.

I have calculated that I could just about afford the A7iii with Samyang 35mm and 70-200 2.8 but that’s it!

This would be if I trade lenses to WEX which means waiting for their stock too.

Then would need charger and battery!!

Does the A7iii share exact same screen as A7Riii? Just looking at screen protectors ‘just in case’ I got an A7iii.
Yes I believe the screen is physically the same size.

The price is crazy!

Sony PCK-LG1 Screen Protect Glass Sheet

I have calculated that I could just about afford the A7iii with Samyang 35mm and 70-200 2.8 but that’s it!

This would be if I trade lenses to WEX which means waiting for their stock too.

Then would need charger and battery!!

The battery will last a long time and you can always charge it in body? Buy them later if required?

Yeah, just checked the A7riii and that's not gone down at all yet I don't think, likewise the D850. Seems cameras don't have an initial drop off anymore, will be interesting to see what happens when the demand drops.

It's not the same screen, the A7Riii is a better quality screen with more resolution. Size wise they're probably the same though (y). Nice to see you've got your priorities in order ;)

Yeah, just checked the A7riii and that's not gone down at all yet I don't think, likewise the D850. Seems cameras don't have an initial drop off anymore, will be interesting to see what happens when the demand drops.

It's not the same screen, the A7Riii is a better quality screen with more resolution. Size wise they're probably the same though (y). Nice to see you've got your priorities in order ;)

Hahaha! Cheapest accessory and no need to pre order lol

Talking about price and money the value of GBP has risen yet again... but cameras still at the rip-off price :mad:

I doubt prices will drop anytime soon.

I bought my Sony A7R II's for £1999 each when they were first released.
The A7R II is currently £2399!! :eek: and thats after the Sony A7R III has been released too!

Last edited:
Another wedding, between Goodwood, New York and weddings my a7RII has taken quite the hammering recently.

Interestingly, from my last 3 weddings, over 90% of delivered photos have been with the Zeiss 55mm 1.8. I've always been a 35/85 shooter but lately I've really enjoying the consistency of one focal length. I'm tempted to chop everything in (28/55/85) and go with the 24-105mm f4 and 50mm 1.4. Just not sure if I'll regret the switch from the 55 to the 50.

Wedding by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
Another wedding, between Goodwood, New York and weddings my a7RII has taken quite the hammering recently.

Interestingly, from my last 3 weddings, over 90% of delivered photos have been with the Zeiss 55mm 1.8. I've always been a 35/85 shooter but lately I've really enjoying the consistency of one focal length. I'm tempted to chop it in the for 50mm 1.4 as given how much I use the focal length it wouldn't cost too much to switch. Worried I'll regret it though.

Wedding by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Great capture,
the Sony Zeiss 50mm f1.4 is a big beast of a lens compared to the baby Otus.
Do you need the buttery effect and f1.4 of the 50mm? :D

Great capture,
the Sony Zeiss 50mm f1.4 is a big beast of a lens compared to the baby Otus.
Do you need the buttery effect and f1.4 of the 50mm? :D

The size is my main concern as I don't think I really need the 1.4, I just love the rendering (I've never fallen for the 55 in that way). Also not sure how much slower AF would be in the real world.

Severely tempted by the A7iii. Will have to wait for the price to decrease though I think. We're off to Canada this summer and the exchange rate at the moment is favourable too so that may be a factor. I've been the dark a bit with mirrorless and not really looked into it that much but since doing some research I find myself asking why I never considered it before!

What's the situation with third party lenses? Coming from a Nikon DX!

Interestingly, from my last 3 weddings, over 90% of delivered photos have been with the Zeiss 55mm 1.8. I've always been a 35/85 shooter but lately I've really enjoying the consistency of one focal length. I'm tempted to chop everything in (28/55/85) and go with the 24-105mm f4 and 50mm 1.4. Just not sure if I'll regret the switch from the 55 to the 50.

:) I didn't even know there was a 50mm 1.4 - thanks for enlightening me..

Oh it's all A mount isn't it..

My main problem is i need the 70-200 so that only leaves budget for something cheap as a walk about! The 28-70 is an option but looks a bit meh!

I do like 50mm, but I tried the 1.8 and wasn’t keen and the sensible option is a 35mm as it can capture most situations until I can afford a better standard zoom.

Plus the Samyang gets pretty good feedback and it’s so small too!! Downfall it’s 2.8, not 1.8.

Back