The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Bingo :D

Also this...

The ISO performance of the a7 III holds its own. It’s not up to par with the a9, but I’d say it’s about one stop away. In a “last chance” shooting scenario, the a9 tops out around ISO 25,600 for what I think is acceptable quality whereas I think 12,800 is the limit on the a7 III. Embedded below is a comparison where all images are zoomed to 200 percent. There’s also a download available to see the full-resolution in-camera JPEGs to determine for yourself the image quality.

https://fstoppers.com/originals/hands-sony-a7-iii-new-normal-227593

Are you sure? From what I've seen the a7iii is on par with the a9.... maybe a fraction better.

So does the EVF display what the LCD displays like for like?

For instance in this video he is shooting 10fps In mechanical and it looks smooth. Obviously it’s not panning but is this what would be seen in the EVF?

No they do differ, from what I can see if you set it to 10 fps in the EVF you get a delay when panning but if it's set to 8 it doesn't.

No they do differ, from what I can see if you set it to 10 fps in the EVF you get a delay when panning but if it's set to 8 it doesn't.
Where’ve you seen that? I always thought the EVF was a direct mirror of the LCD tbh. On that video he was shooting at 5fps and still getting lag.

Where’ve you seen that? I always thought the EVF was a direct mirror of the LCD tbh. On that video he was shooting at 5fps and still getting lag.

From the one I'm holding in my hands.

They may be fed from the same source but they're still different displays that render differently, if you swing the camera around it's easier on the eyes via the rear display rather than the EVF.

I'm not really noticing it at 8 fps?

So here's a hopefully simple question.

How do you select multiple photos to delete them on a A7 III?

Bleh, figured it out.

Play > Menu > Delete > Multiple image > select the images one by one > Menu > OK > OK

That's stupid, Sony should know better. Why it doesn't work like every other system I've used where hitting enter checks them then pressing delete deletes all the marked ones I do not know.

Anyone offer a view on autofocus vs X-T2? Seriously contemplating a switch and this is one area I don't want to go backwards.

My gut feeling is that the Sony A7 III is better than the Fuji XT-2 for AF and AF-C.
Eye-AF is useable all the time.
What will you be shooting?

The subject I'm worried about is my kids running round and doing their sports

I think like me you will either need to try one on what you will be shooting or at least wait for some panning shooting from the EVF if that is possible.

Anyone offer a view on autofocus vs X-T2? Seriously contemplating a switch and this is one area I don't want to go backwards.

My gut feeling is that the Sony A7 III is better than the Fuji XT-2 for AF and AF-C.
Eye-AF is useable all the time.
What will you be shooting?

Obviously AF speed will be lens specific, some lenses will just focus faster than others, but @Riz_Guru is probably right, but only that the latest tech will probably always be faster, so will the A7iii be faster than the X-T3?? (probably not) but the A7iv will be.

In this fast paced ever changing hardware (@Riz_Guru loving) spec world, buy into teh system you want, rather than change camera brands at the drop of the hat. I bought into Fuji several years ago as I liked the handling, now the performance got to where I wanted it to be X-T2.

Obviously AF speed will be lens specific, some lenses will just focus faster than others, but @Riz_Guru is probably right, but only that the latest tech will probably always be faster, so will the A7iii be faster than the X-T3?? (probably not) but the A7iv will be.

In this fast paced ever changing hardware (@Riz_Guru loving) spec world, buy into teh system you want, rather than change camera brands at the drop of the hat. I bought into Fuji several years ago as I liked the handling, now the performance got to where I wanted it to be X-T2.
Totally agree....... I wen't from Sony to Fuji and then back to Sony, I just feel at home with Sony.... so does my local camera store! :D lol
I just get all excited when Sony bring out a new body.... GAS is a hard thing to control.... :(

Last edited:
Totally agree....... I wen't from Sony to Fuji and then back to Sony, I just feel at home with Sony.... so does my local camera store! :D lol
I just get all excited when Sony bring out a new body.... GAS is a hard thing to control.... :(

My Gas is either going to turn in to an A7 or new wide angle and maybe trading my 70-200 for the E version lol.

This is the most patient GAS I have had for a while. I usually spend first, think later :ROFLMAO:

My Gas is either going to turn in to an A7 or new wide angle and maybe trading my 70-200 for the E version lol.

This is the most patient GAS I have had for a while. I usually spend first, think later :ROFLMAO:

It's a hard choice when moving from one system to another...... so don't rush.
When I moved from Sony to Fuji I went all out (like I do) lol :D and bought the following...

Fuji XT-2 + Booster Grip
35mm f2.0
56mm f1.2
90mm f2.0
10-24mm f4
16-55mm f2.8
50-140mm f2.8
1.4x TC

I didn't own it long and was lucky enough not to lose much if at all when selling it off.
I used it for one paid wedding shoot and although I could get by, it lacked the high DR/ISO I was used to.... I decided to move back to Sony.

Fuji is a great system and it saves some weight but for me I missed the FF aspect of Sony...... that being said, the cost difference between the systems is massive! It was one of the reasons I moved to Fuji, as it was a cheaper system overall.

You may find yourself in the same situation when you compare Sony to Nikon, the is probably the cheaper system.... so you need to ask yourself if your willing to make that leap and spend that big extra :D

My Sony GAS is low and high...... keep thinking I will get some more lenses and a body.....
I am loved the Fuji 90mm f2.0, so perhaps I will consider the 135mm f1.8 GM when it eventually comes out.
The 90mm f2.8 Macro would be nice too..... oh and the 100-400mm GM.... oh and the..... :D lol

Last edited:
When I moved from Sony to Fuji I went all out (like I do) lol :D and bought the following...

Fuji XT-2 + Booster Grip
35mm f2.0
56mm f1.2
90mm f2.0
10-24mm f4
16-55mm f2.8
50-140mm f2.8
1.4x TC

I didn't own it long and was lucky enough not to lose much if at all when selling it off.
I used it for one paid wedding shoot and although I could get by, it lacked the high DR/ISO I was used to.... I decided to move back to Sony.

Fuji is a great system and it saves some weight but for me I missed the FF aspect of Sony...... that being said, the cost difference between the systems is massive! It was one of the reasons I moved to Fuji, as it was a cheaper system overall.

You may find yourself in the same situation when you compare Sony to Nikon, the is probably the cheaper system.... so you need to ask yourself if your willing to make that leap and spend that big extra :D

My Sony GAS is low and high...... keep thinking I will get some more lenses and a body.....
I am loved the Fuji 90mm f2.0, so perhaps I will consider the 135mm f1.8 GM when it eventually comes out.
The 90mm f2.8 Macro would be nice too..... oh and the 100-400mm GM.... oh and the..... :D lol

i think where you went wrong was not using the right glass for the job. 35mm f2 and a 16-55mm 2.8 without IS are not great for low light. if you had some of the following fast glass: 16mm f1.4, 23mm f1.4, 35mm 1.4 and used flash appropriately your ISO wouldn't have needed to go so high.
I'm surprised the DR wasn't there.

i think where you went wrong was not using the right glass for the job. 35mm f2 and a 16-55mm 2.8 without IS are not great for low light. if you had some of the following fast glass: 16mm f1.4, 23mm f1.4, 35mm 1.4 and used flash appropriately your ISO wouldn't have needed to go so high.
I'm surprised the DR wasn't there.
Perhaps but guess I will never find out now...... G Master's all the way dude! :D
Have you compared the 85mm f1.4 and 100mm f2.8 STF back to back yet?
Which one is staying and which one is going? :)

From the one I'm holding in my hands.

They may be fed from the same source but they're still different displays that render differently, if you swing the camera around it's easier on the eyes via the rear display rather than the EVF.

I'm not really noticing it at 8 fps?
Interesting, thanks. Not great for me that the EVF isn't as good on the eyes, I wouldn't pan using the LCD.

Perhaps but guess I will never find out now...... G Master's all the way dude! :D
Have you compared the 85mm f1.4 and 100mm f2.8 STF back to back yet?
Which one is staying and which one is going? :)

planned on keeping both as serve different purposes. theres a problem with the 85mm though. turned camera on this morning and it made an odd noise. then every time i tried to focus it would make this same noise and not focus. turned it off and on again and it was fine. turned it off and on again and same issue. have contacted the seller to advise so am awaiting a reply otherwise i'll have to dispute it. the thought of sending it to sony to fix scares me.

i have an engagement shoot to do next weekend so the timing isn't great. had just taken more photos to list my 85mm 1.8 elsewhere, but i guess i'll hold onto that while i try to sort this out.

planned on keeping both as serve different purposes. theres a problem with the 85mm though. turned camera on this morning and it made an odd noise. then every time i tried to focus it would make this same noise and not focus. turned it off and on again and it was fine. turned it off and on again and same issue. have contacted the seller to advise so am awaiting a reply otherwise i'll have to dispute it. the thought of sending it to sony to fix scares me.

i have an engagement shoot to do next weekend so the timing isn't great. had just taken more photos to list my 85mm 1.8 elsewhere, but i guess i'll hold onto that while i try to sort this out.

Not great news... hey the thought of sending anything back for a repair is a scary thought.... the cost and potential for damage caused by the repairing make my brain hurt. :D
I think you'd be wise to hold onto the FE 85mm f1.8 for the shoot, the 85mm focal length is quality.
My 85mm 1.4 GM is hibernating at present surround by its G Master brothers! lol :D

Fuji XT-2 + Booster Grip
35mm f2.0
56mm f1.2
90mm f2.0
10-24mm f4
16-55mm f2.8
50-140mm f2.8
1.4x TC

The weight saving is not really part of my decision, mainly because I use the 70-200 nearly all the time so a 160g saving.

Actually if I used the 70-200e it would become a 50g difference lol.

D750 + 50mm is only 100g or so heavier than the Sony too.

Obviously body size is a big difference and I imagine weight saving would be big if going to such as system as Fuji!

If I stick with Nikon I will buy lenses to release GAS. NEVER good to hold that s*** in for too long!!!

Canon are McDonald's. s*** product's but people are sheep.sony are nandos.was unknown before but now everyone jumping on them

nah eos-m is the new upcoming :D

Sony is a spicy curry, you have it even though you know you'll regret it next morning
Canon is a good old jacket potato, reliable, unoffencive and filling

The weight saving is not really part of my decision, mainly because I use the 70-200 nearly all the time so a 160g saving.

Actually if I used the 70-200e it would become a 50g difference lol.

D750 + 50mm is only 100g or so heavier than the Sony too.

Obviously body size is a big difference and I imagine weight saving would be big if going to such as system as Fuji!

If I stick with Nikon I will buy lenses to release GAS. NEVER good to hold that s*** in for too long!!!
How about getting a d850

Back