The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

For gowd sake don't get a Canon M series, you'll get people banned.

well that my a7r11 sold and all the glass. just didn't enjoy using sony. the sensor was good but the camera just didn't fit my hand well, and for some reason really didn't gel with it. glad i tried it but not sorry its sold. o well onwards and upwards!

What’s next?

What’s next?
well i am just shooting film at present and really enjoying it, its a breath of fresh air (or is that old air :p) but digi wise i will wait and see for now. tbh ive had m4/3 and sony and although the size took up less bag space i missed the ergonomics of dslr but lets see if the mirrorless rumours of canon/nikon come to any thing this year. happy with film for now

Me too.
Any Sony owners around Sheffield? :)
@ Jonneymendoza ? :)

Are you from Sheffield? I'm just down the road in Chez Vegas (y) I wouldn't mind trying the A9 out ;)

I’m not a million miles away. I’m a bit further south near a Derby with my lowly Rii

I must be the only person that hasn't bought a single item.my New year resolutions is going well

I haven’t either (not sure how), although I have a large-isn’t wanted list

I'll leave this here, it should be watched by all GAS addicts and system changers, its not so much about going from one Fuji to another, but about anti-GAS - some of his other videos are quite thought provoking as well.

Great video, and makes perfect sense.
I guess clever marketing and cutting edge technology gets the better of us sometimes. :)

Let the battle commence....

Rumor: Canon full-frame mirrorless already 'being used by select pro photographers'

:D

@JJ (and others) there's some sample RAW/dng files linked from this video that you can have a play with. That 70-200mm looks very sharp.

You can find some downloadable ISO samples from here too.....
https://fstoppers.com/originals/hands-sony-a7-iii-new-normal-227593

Yup, the FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM is a sharp lens, pretty much all the G Master lenses share this trait :)
The FE 70-200mm f4 G is also a very sharp lens....
this shot was taken at 200mm @ f5 ISO 400 on a moving bus on the Sony A7......

https://flic.kr/p/qqnMyh

I would never touch them again with the proverbial barge pole.

I've used them in the past but I just can't see how any competent person could damage the coating so much. I do wish I'd done it myself but time and the thought that they'd do a better job than me only half concentrating lead me to post the lens off. All trust is gone and I can't say I'd use them again.

Do you or anyone have any recommendations for manual lens repair?

Probably hoping for a Canon Pro mirrorless to move to next ;) lol

I read a bit of that article at DPR about the rumored Canon mirrorless...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/32287...lready-being-used-by-select-pro-photographers

I suppose it's inevitable that Canon will have a FF mirrorless at some point as will Nikon, if they survive, but reading vague reports of cameras in the hands of testers the thought that this is all smoke and mirrors to hopefully delay a few Canon die hards from buying a Sony does begin to think about the possibility of crossing my mind :D I'll believe a Canon FF when it's announced.

I've used them in the past but I just can't see how any competent person could damage the coating so much. I do wish I'd done it myself but time and the thought that they'd do a better job than me only half concentrating lead me to post the lens off. All trust is gone and I can't say I'd use them again.

Sell off all your MF lenses, A7 and get a A7 III with a collection of native glass :D

I read a bit of that article at DPR about the rumored Canon mirrorless...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/32287...lready-being-used-by-select-pro-photographers

I suppose it's inevitable that Canon will have a FF mirrorless at some point as will Nikon, if they survive, but reading vague reports of cameras in the hands of testers the thought that this is all smoke and mirrors to hopefully delay a few Canon die hards from buying a Sony does begin to think about the possibility of crossing my mind :D I'll believe a Canon FF when it's announced.

You could be right, guess we’ll have to wait and see. :)

Sell off all your MF lenses, A7 and get a A7 III with a collection of native glass :D

The thing is that the older lenses are nice to use and they give a different look to the modern lenses at wider apertures, at f8+ maybe no one would be able to tell what lens is used but at f1.x to f5.6 or so some of these older lenses do have a look and as I've said before :D all of my 35 and 50mm lenses have their own look. The only downside is that an old FD/Rokkor/Zuiko has to be used with an adapter so can't be as compact as a Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

I have the Sony 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 and they are excellent world class lenses but the old lenses just have a look at wider apertures that's different to that of modern lenses.

Whilst the A7III is no doubt lovely given that I mostly use manual lenses I don't think it'll give me a great deal over my lowly old and creaking A7 :D

Last edited:

I always use, and recommend, Miles Whitehead for any repairs/CLAs. He's always done excellent work on whatever I've sent him and his prices are very good. He's pretty popular though so sometimes there may be a fewer wait.

http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk

@JJ (and others) there's some sample RAW/dng files linked from this video that you can have a play with. That 70-200mm looks very sharp.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPmly9QpJRg

You know I’m still tempted but the lack of dials (that the A9 has on the left) might make things a bit slower and annoying! I can afford the A7iii if I traded my gear to WEX and waited for stock but I’m still not convinced the EVF is going to annoy or hinder me!

You know I’m still tempted but the lack of dials (that the A9 has on the left) might make things a bit slower and annoying! I can afford the A7iii if I traded my gear to WEX and waited for stock but I’m still not convinced the EVF is going to annoy or hinder me!

With a DSLR I always left it in C-AF, remove AF on shutter and used back button focus - so can just set focus with backbutton and let go for S-AF.

The A9 has cool customisation for buttons allowing you to just jump into another AF setup temporarily

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3qpOfaCEzI

rumours say canon is getting serious - http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-fu...g-and-the-wait-wont-be-as-long-as-we-thought/

Tamron 28-75/2.8 will be the last piece of FE equipment I'll be getting now :D

But if they make a body size of their DSLR with no eye-AF then no sale :p

I know I've said this 100 times but I really don't get all this badge lust. Who cares who makes this stuff?

To be honest I like to buy British, the theory being that it keeps people working and paying tax in the UK but none of this stuff is made in the UK so why should I buy a camera made in one Japanese factory over one made in another Japanese factory or in a Japanese owned factory in Chon Buri for that matter? If it's not made in the UK and helping our economy frankly I don't care where it's made and I care even less if it's made by Canon or Sony. Why should I give a flying? And I'm always a bit baffled by those who lust after a Canon/Nikon?whatever over something else.

But one thing that would put me off a Canon is that in recent years they've tended to hobble their products for differentiation whereas Sony is at least throwing more into their stuff at the mo.

Back