The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I’d have kept my Golf R had I not had a child! Loved it - does everything I need from a car, really. It’s kinda hard to use more than 300-350bhp round here anyway. Far too many bored coppers.

Cheers for that. Seems pretty good, considering the cost.

And I actually quite like the current range of Volvos.. probably a bit dull to drive, though?

In any case, it’ll be 1-2 years before I sell the Audi. I’ll probably end up with a 335d Touring, or a 5 series. Audi’s a bit boring (interior is much better than everyone else, other than Volvo, imo)

View attachment 124416

The GF's Dad and brother both have 335d touring, they are great and go like stink. That engine is a beast.

Dials look old fashioned though compared with the new tech in new audis IMO.

A couple of my more interesting cars. These were taken with my Nikon SLR and were scanned on a desktop scanner thingy at work so the quality isn't good.

Elan SE, I did over 100k miles in this.

Car-Elan-C.jpg

Elise, the most dynamic car I've owned and despite what you might think looking at the interior there's more room than you think and that car was christened :D

Car-Elise-1.jpg

I used to have a wall covered in A3 sized prints of cars.

Last edited:
Will somebody please buy that A6000 in the classifieds. £280 is waaaay too reasonable.

The GF's Dad and brother both have 335d touring, they are great and go like stink. That engine is a beast.

Dials look old fashioned though compared with the new tech in new audis IMO.

Yeah I certainly got bored of my BMW interior - it’s just not changed in 10 odd years. That’s what brought me to the Audi at first - I also looked at Merc.. but I hate the current Merc interiors.

The Allroad also munched through the recent 2-3ft of snow we had up here, with literally no bother at all. That’s a huge plus, for me. I go up north quite a lot and it’s pothole city up there, again the suspension on the Allroad is so well dampened you barely notice. Maybe I can spec adaptive suspension on a 335/535d and buy it in x drive guise. mmm.

Yeah I certainly got bored of my BMW interior - it’s just not changed in 10 odd years. That’s what brought me to the Audi at first - I also looked at Merc.. but I hate the current Merc interiors.

The Allroad also munched through the recent 2-3ft of snow we had up here, with literally no bother at all. That’s a huge plus, for me. I go up north quite a lot and it’s pothole city up there, again the suspension on the Allroad is so well dampened you barely notice. Maybe I can spec adaptive suspension on a 335/535d and buy it in x drive guise. mmm.
BMW interiors had a massive overhaul 5 years ago :p

BMW interiors had a massive overhaul 5 years ago [emoji14]

Massive is probably stretching it. They still look very similar to what they always have - I test drove a M135i in 2015 (before buying the Golf R), then tested the 535d last year before buying the Audi. Meh.

Massive is probably stretching it. They still look very similar to what they always have - I test drove a M135i in 2015 (before buying the Golf R), then tested the 535d last year before buying the Audi. Meh.
Well we’ll agree to disagree then as the difference between the interior I had in my E92’s and the f30’s is pretty significant to my eyes (y)

Are BMW's less hated these days?

I remember test driving one and sitting at a junction waiting to turn left and no one would let me out. There were some traffic lights further down the road and when the traffic backed up to my junction people just stopped across the junction blocking me in. I sat there through three light changes before I got out. If that's what daily usage is like I'd never have one. At least with my Lotus people would happily let me out.

Well we’ll agree to disagree then as the difference between the interior I had in my E92’s and the f30’s is pretty significant to my eyes (y)

I’ve owned everything from an e46, e87, e92 & had the f30s on test for a couple of days. Sure, they got overhauled.. but it’s still pretty standard BMW fare. Current Audi/Volvo are leagues ahead, imo. (y)

Here’s a couple of images. Hardly a massive leap - other than the size and shape of the wheel... they’re pretty similar. In fact, I prefer the older style nav screen placement, this recent tack on screen phenomenon sucks.

View attachment 124462

View attachment 124463

Last edited:
Well, they often go brand new for £399 with the 16-50mm lens. Once the lens is sold it’s only an extra £40 for a brand new one :)
Stop it.

I keep being tempted by these but I have MFT and a box full of lenses and I'm pretty sure that MFT is the better choice for me with IMO better handling (two control dials, one front and one back) and smaller cheaper lenses.

Are BMW's less hated these days?

I remember test driving one and sitting at a junction waiting to turn left and no one would let me out. There were some traffic lights further down the road and when the traffic backed up to my junction people just stopped across the junction blocking me in. I sat there through three light changes before I got out. If that's what daily usage is like I'd never have one. At least with my Lotus people would happily let me out.

I noticed a huge change in other people’s perceptions of me after selling my last BMW. People actually let me out of junctions! I got tailgated way, way less! Nobody gave me the finger for no reason!

So, in my case, 100% yes. Literally had zero hassle after that.

I noticed a huge change in other people’s perceptions of me after selling my last BMW. People actually let me out of junctions! I got tailgated way, way less! Nobody gave me the finger for no reason!

So, in my case, 100% yes. Literally had zero hassle after that.

I used to get abuse in my Lotus Elan and Elise. Worst in the Elan was on a local A road when a biker reached down and smacked my wing mirror off before taking off like a bat out of. I took a second to get over the shock of what he'd done and then tore off after him, caught him PDQ and he took an exist and stopped briefly at traffic lights, I jumped out of the car and thankfully off he went through the red light and another red further down the road. I say thankfully as I'd have kicked seven shades out of him and I suppose I'm the one who the police would have taken an interest in. So, he cost me well over a £100 for a damaged wing mirror for what? Driving anything like a nice car where I live just gets way too much agro. I got shouted at, sweared at, spat at, tailgated, driven at, not every time I went out but enough to make it a PITA. In those days I was a hot head and took nothing off anyone so it always amused me when those spitting and shouting took off like their trousers were on fire when I stopped the car and got out :D

I had a Boxster for a few years and people used to come up to me just to tell me how sh!t it was. My standard reply was "Good job you're a sad B***ard who'll never afford to own one then." :D Thankfully no one seems to care about MX5's.

I’ve owned everything from an e46, e87, e92 & had the f30s on test for a couple of days. Sure, they got overhauled.. but it’s still pretty standard BMW fare. Current Audi/Volvo are leagues ahead, imo. (y)

Here’s a couple of images. Hardly a massive leap - other than the size and shape of the wheel... they’re pretty similar. In fact, I prefer the older style nav screen placement, this recent tack on screen phenomenon sucks.

View attachment 124462

View attachment 124463
I can’t view those images but assuming they’re similar to this? Apart from having the main things in the same place they’re pretty different looking ;)

89B1E0A2-FDB6-43AF-B2AA-6C9F199C8EF2.jpeg

I prefer the older interior as well, the newer one reminds me of a Halfords stereo display :LOL: Fortunately my X5 is somewhere in between. I agree that Audi interiors are nice though. I’m not a massive fan of Merc interiors but the A45 AMG’s is nice.

I can’t view those images but assuming they’re similar to this? Apart from having the main things in the same place they’re pretty different looking ;)

View attachment 124464

I prefer the older interior as well, the newer one reminds me of a Halfords stereo display :LOL: Fortunately my X5 is somewhere in between. I agree that Audi interiors are nice though. I’m not a massive fan of Merc interiors but the A45 AMG’s is nice.

You can tell it's evolved, as opposed to radically different.

As opposed to Audi with their virtual cockpit and Volvo's big iPad looking centre console.

U201jhK.jpg

aYNfQcl.jpg

Youve all got too much money for my liking.the most expensive car ive ever owned was a Micra till the other half wrote it off,thats when i gave up on cars and went fully pushbike.
Never looked back.
Think i need to move to the cheap compacts thread :dummy:

Youve all got too much money for my liking.the most expensive car ive ever owned was a Micra till the other half wrote it off,thats when i gave up on cars and went fully pushbike.
Never looked back.
Think i need to move to the cheap compacts thread :dummy:

You are not alone, I still drive a Honda civic sport from 2000 which was handed down to me :p

Sorry to interrupt with Sony/Photography related business...

I really quickly skimmed through some photos from last week - just to try some processing out to see if it would work across differently scenarios. I think I'm wondering if I've made the whites too flat now I see them in the thread. The green shadows is going to be a matter of taste.

Here's a few photos,

If there's a particular lens I have anyone want to see, I can always try to find a good example of that lens output

35/50/85 1.4
16-35, 24-70, 70-200 2.8

Playing with Processing - Wedding by dancook1982, on Flickr

Last edited:

I really quickly skimmed through some photos from last week - just to try some processing out to see if it would work across differently scenarios. I think I'm wondering if I've made the whites too flat now I see them in the thread. The green shadows is going to be a matter of taste.

Here's a few photos,

If there's a particular lens I have anyone want to see, I can always try to find a good example of that lens output

35/50/85 1.4
16-35, 24-70, 70-200 2.8

I like the processing, to my taste it could do with a tiny little bit less green but I like the muted tones and overall feel of the images.

What Tom said... I'd buy it if it was more reasonable ;)

I must have missed the price of new ones, I thought used ones were very cheap when we started seeing them in the classifieds for £300. New or used that's a good camera for the money but I think I'll get a Panny GX9.

Here's a few photos,

35/50/85 1.4
16-35, 24-70, 70-200 2.8

Great images but the processing is not to my taste tbh. They do look a little flat (as though they're shot on a dark overcast day, which of course they could have been ;)) and there's too much of a green hue for me. As you say though, it's all purely taste and as long as you and/or clients are happy that's what matters. The actual shots are great though.

Great images but the processing is not to my taste tbh. They do look a little flat (as though they're shot on a dark overcast day, which of course they could have been ;)) and there's too much of a green hue for me. As you say though, it's all purely taste and as long as you and/or clients are happy that's what matters. The actual shots are great though.

i'm not delivering to the client (the main tog will process all), and my processing is still a work in progress.. I agree with too much green in the shadows, I will work on it before I start delivering to my own client (Louise's brother, his wedding in July)

I borrowed a Samyang 35/2.8 off a friend of mine last night to test out the performance on my A7 and am seriously impressed. The AF speed is excellent and it's a tiny lens. Ok, I know it's 'only' 2.8 but it's sharp wide open and weighs next to nothing so seems like a bargain of a lens.

I bought a used Sony 35mm f2.8 and it's my most used AF lens but I don't know if it justifies the price over the Samyang. The Samyang wasn't out when I bought the Sony.

i'm not delivering to the client (the main tog will process all), and my processing is still a work in progress.. I agree with too much green in the shadows, I will work on it before I start delivering to my own client (Louise's brother, his wedding in July)
It is a pain trying to develop a preset that you're happy with for most shots when you change cameras isn't it? Took me ages to be finally happy with one for my Olympus and D750. I've now got to develop one for my D850 although I think it's just going to require a minor tweak from the D750. The colours do seem slightly more Canon-esque to my eyes, whereas the D750 were more true to life. Could also be in part down to WB too, there's some new auto WB settings on the D850, it has 3 auto WB settings (normal, keeping warm colours and keeping white [reducing warm colours]) as well as natural light auto. They're getting too sophisticated/complicated for their own good :eek: ;)

I wish I had your eye for a photo though (y)

Back