The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

There was some delivery about 2 weeks ago and there were stock in a few places but it's all gone now it seems.

Ah right. I've got 2 here from Park that I haven't opened, ordered when I was expecting to keep the A7riii, might stick then up for sale rather than return.

Anyone help ?

The screen on my A7ii only comes on intermittently. EVF is ok but when I take the camera from my eye mostly it doesn't revert to the screen.

So I micro adjusted my Samyang yesterday..... via the lens station that @trevjm let me use (what a gent!).

I thought performance was very good from the factory at -1 but I thought Id see what the AF adjust function does out of curiosity. I was impressed to see that -2 gave better results but -3 was amazing....

The whole FW update and adjust is incredibly easy, testing obviously takes time.

This is a 1:1 screen grab from LR with no enhancement.

Last edited:
So I micro adjusted my Samyang yesterday..... via the lens station that @trevjm let me use (what a gent!).

I thought performance was very good from the factory at -1 but I thought Id see what the AF adjust function does out of curiosity. I was impressed to see that -2 gave better results but -3 was amazing....

The whole FW update and adjust is incredibly easy, testing obviously takes time.

This is a 1:1 screen grab from LR with no enhancement.

I thought the focus adjustment was for adapted A-mount lenses, it shouldn't be needed for native?

I thought the focus adjustment was for adapted A-mount lenses, it shouldn't be needed for native?

That's what I thought. I didn't think it was possible to micro adjust a native E mount lens due to how the autofocus works on sensor

The 16-35 f4 lens is a lens I bought for Gimbal video work but it's a stellar stills lens !

Lovely pictures :D and whenever someone posts about this lens I want one :D but I have a manual 17mm and a 9-18mm for MFT so the expense isn't really justified :( I still want one though :D

Lovely pictures :D and whenever someone posts about this lens I want one :D but I have a manual 17mm and a 9-18mm for MFT so the expense isn't really justified :( I still want one though :D

With Sony lenses you dont unless you get a dud. I guess 3rd party haven't quite got the af system figured out. Sony could be holding back the info.

With Sony lenses you dont unless you get a dud. I guess 3rd party haven't quite got the af system figured out. Sony could be holding back the info.

Twist, you've used the wrong quote mate... Didn't have a tipple with your breakfast did you?

:D

Doh! She's got me doing Ikea... a beer sounds good though. Gonna be hot again today.

It was lovely here and in the space of 10 minutes we've gone from blue skies to looking like we're going to get a thunder storm. I can't go out again today so I don't care about the weather and I'm hoping for a photogenic day on Monday.

On one hand, yes it is cool, but on the other hand, no it's not. A major feature of mirrorless for me is that you don't have to MFA lenses :(

:agree:

If this is the case glad I went with zeiss... MFA is one thing I don't miss. Samyang has got something very very wrong if you need to MFA it!!!

I doubt it... but we'll see
(They may release docks for fw updates but MFA shouldn't needed)

Yup, wait and see, side by side today, the Zeiss CAF EYE AF is definitely better, stickier and hit rate higher in High fps.

So IQ tested and now AF all done. Never spent so much time with testing 2 lenses.

Last edited:
I doubt it... but we'll see
(They may release docks for fw updates but MFA shouldn't needed)
I'm pretty certain that the MFA that twist made on the lens doesn't factor into AF on a native e mount lens, 3rd party or otherwise

The focus reading is taken directly from the cameras sensor. There is nothing to calibrate in the lens as such. I believe the Samyang AF micro adjust feature in the software will be for the DSLR equivs that are launching now

I'm pretty certain that the MFA that twist made on the lens doesn't factor into AF on a native e mount lens, 3rd party or otherwise

The focus reading is taken directly from the cameras sensor. There is nothing to calibrate in the lens as such. I believe the Samyang AF micro adjust feature in the software will be for the DSLR equivs that are launching now

Wrong. It does. I tested multiple times and just did again.

Focus on birds head/eye..... I deliberately changed the lens from -3 to 0 via lens station.

Amazon.com will post the a7iii to the UK if anyone is interested. They add all the customs charges automatically so it comes in just over £1800 with the current exchange rate.

Amazon.com will post the a7iii to the UK if anyone is interested. They add all the customs charges automatically so it comes in just over £1800 with the current exchange rate.

... with no UK warranty. Check out Wilkinson Cameras.

Samyang 35 1.4, you can't adjust Sony lenses.

Dude you're the only person I've ever heard that micro adjusted for e mount. Not a single review etc or anything mentions it

I definitely think it is there for DSLR

Dude you're the only person I've ever heard that micro adjusted for e mount. Not a single review etc or anything mentions it

Or samyang is doing something weird

Even after I just proved it.... on an a7iii.

Last edited:
Back