The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

jFRmPkK.jpg

Ws0GZLT.jpg

3fJiCpI.jpg

FlnJO0n.jpg

Went and had a look at a few cameras today. Ruled out the Fuji's not comfortable to hold, likewise the Olympus system.

Anyone upgraded from the A7 to A7II? Is there much difference in feek with grip and placement of buttons.

Also did see the Canon M50 which I quite liked, anyone own one and any feedback?

Last edited:
Went and had a look at a few cameras today. Ruled out the Fuji's not comfortable to hold, likewise the Olympus system.

Anyone upgraded from the A7 to A7II? Is there much difference in feek with grip and placement of buttons.

Also did see the Canon M50 which I quite liked, anyone own one and any feedback?

I went from an a7 to a7ii in the past, I personally found the a7ii much nicer to hold, it's slightly bigger than the the a7 with a bigger grip and more significantly has built in image stabilisation.

Who turned up for the photo walk Jonny and Dan I guess shame it was right down south

Ergonomically it's widely accepted that A7II is better but I prefer the original A7 bodies. The rest of A7 are just bulky IMO.

I owned the M50 briefly. Great camera in terms of usability and ergonomics, AF was very good for video but image quality and AF for stills was not as good as the old A6000 I had at the time.

Wagwan, im planning a big photo walk between june/july and wanna know which day's you can do. Plenty of notice! Hope you can come https://doodle.com/poll/56datka7t28cf5d6 check that link and add the dates you can do. They all skip vital World Cup footy games so we wont miss anything vital!

Why not head north and walk on the beach or in the hills for 4 or 5 hours?

Wilkinson Cameras say they have stock of the A7 III (via online chat). Still says pre order but I've ordered one this afternoon and they assure me that they have stock and it will be dispatched tomorrow!

Last edited:
Maybe autumn's photo walk but how far north?
I live in Cleveland (was Teesside.) When I can I spend a day walking on the beach or the Cleveland hills but sadly Mrs Woof Woof can't keep up.

One thing which might interest some is it's Goth weekend at Whitby next weekend. I probably wont go as it'll be packed but for those of you into street it might be fun.

Here's the Goths in 2017...

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/gallery/2017/oct/30/whitby-goth-weekend-in-pictures

I prefer the beach between Redcar and Saltburn to Whitby.

I live in Cleveland (was Teesside.) When I can I spend a day walking on the beach or the Cleveland hills but sadly Mrs Woof Woof can't keep up.

One thing which might interest some is it's Goth weekend at Whitby next weekend. I probably wont go as it'll be packed but for those of you into street it might be fun.

Here's the Goths in 2017...

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/gallery/2017/oct/30/whitby-goth-weekend-in-pictures

I prefer the beach between Redcar and Saltburn to Whitby.
I am planning to do one in Lake District actually. Possibly next year.

It would be a 2/3 day one and involving accommodation

Hi everyone, been lurking here a while reading up whilst awaiting delivery of my A7III which came today! So far, very pleased with it from the few test shots I've done around the house of my wife and daughter. However, I'm having a hard time to get the Eye AF set-up properly even after watching some You Tube videos on it. I've set-up the AEL button to be for Eye AF and I've put the focus mode in AF-Continuous but still it's a big rectangle that's more face-sized than eye sized that is tracking focus. What am I doing wrong? It's been a bit hit and miss with locking focus on the nearest eye so far (more hit than miss to be fair) but thinking there must be one detail lacking to have it track eyes and not faces.

Related to that, how do you all quickly switch back to another focus method if you change from portraits to landscapes etc, and what focus method are you using for these?

Just trying to adjust as been with Nikon about 9 years and not really ventured away from them so much until now.

Hi everyone, been lurking here a while reading up whilst awaiting delivery of my A7III which came today! So far, very pleased with it from the few test shots I've done around the house of my wife and daughter. However, I'm having a hard time to get the Eye AF set-up properly even after watching some You Tube videos on it. I've set-up the AEL button to be for Eye AF and I've put the focus mode in AF-Continuous but still it's a big rectangle that's more face-sized than eye sized that is tracking focus. What am I doing wrong? It's been a bit hit and miss with locking focus on the nearest eye so far (more hit than miss to be fair) but thinking there must be one detail lacking to have it track eyes and not faces.

Related to that, how do you all quickly switch back to another focus method if you change from portraits to landscapes etc, and what focus method are you using for these?

Just trying to adjust as been with Nikon about 9 years and not really ventured away from them so much until now.

Silly question, but are you holding down the button that you’ve assigned to eye af?

Silly question, but are you holding down the button that you’ve assigned to eye af?
Do you hold that down or the AF-ON? The last video I watched suggested you hold down the AF-ON but I have a feeling that might be for an older model or something. Lenses are great BTW, thanks again!

Back