The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I had both these but sold them. didn't really use them much and also redged wasn't much lighter than my feisol CT3342. Also I find feisol to be more stable and nicer to use :)

It's not comparable at all, the feisol CT3342 folded length is 60cm, it is DOULBE of the Redged. Apples and oranges.

That's why I have my Manfrotto, they have their different purpose, the Manfrotto is much sturdy but that won't fit inside my messenger bag.

It's not comparable at all, the feisol CT3342 folded length is 60cm, it is DOULBE of the Redged. Apples and oranges.

That's why I have my Manfrotto, they have their different purpose, the Manfrotto is much sturdy but that won't fit inside my messenger bag.

well CT3442 is 48cm if you want shorter folded length (of course redged is even shorter). Not entirely apples and oranges because feisol weighs the same while providing better height, stability and build.
If shortest folded length is most important factor then of course redged wins....

well CT3442 is 48cm if you want shorter folded length (of course redged is even shorter). Not entirely apples and oranges because feisol weighs the same while providing better height, stability and build.
If shortest folded length is most important factor then of course redged wins....

48cm is still not comparable.

even 35cm is not comparable.

Not even 32cm because my test was to fit a tripod in a messenger bag and most messenger bag are A4 size, alas 30cm.

To be comparable it needs to fit into a messenger bag.

It's not about the weight so much about the folded length.

Last edited:
i use a Sirui T2205X, its a really high quality, well made, light and compact tripod

i use a Sirui T2205X, its a really high quality, well made, light and compact tripod

I did a lot of research a few years ago into what tripod to get and 1 criteria was the length. the fold up length, for me max 30cm because of the bag. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. So "short at 35cm" is still 5cm too long and I had to rule it out no matter how nice it is.

The only compromise I have with the Redged is the max height at 108cm.

I wonder if Sony and Zeiss went through a silent divorce... We haven't seen any Sony zeiss recently :thinking:
Or is it because Zeiss started their own line of lenses of FE lenses...

What do you want to use it for?

If for studio kind of thing, then it doesn't matter how small or big it is - you will need several of them with a trigger plus light stands and brollies/softboxes and other stuff anyway.

For day to day shooting, do you really need a flash? I find that a fast lens and Auto ISO eliminate the need for one. Just learn how to use available (natural or not) light.

Some off camera flash work, but mainly for a carry around flash for just in case situations. I have a couple of speedlite specific brollies/softboxes.

When was the last one and when was the first G-Master?

If my memory serves me right last one was the 50mm/1.4. the first GMs were 24-70mm/2.8, 85mm/1.4 and 70-200mm/2.8. think these three were either announced togeather or in very close proximity.

Has anyone tried Eye EM?

I have been giving it a go and seems more intelligent then instagram ie it automatically generates the relivant hashtags for you and you can add your pics to the market place to make money

A tripod for landscape photography is a different beast than one for most other uses. You can buy small, light and easy to carry, but in the end you will get more results with a long, heavy tripod.

I have been through 4 tripods that started small and light and worked up to using my Benro that was purchased to hold my Nikon D810 and 500mm F4 - it is a beast.

This is a video (click it) of an ok day on Mam Tor - I have been up there when you struggled to stand up in the wind.
20170415_192018 by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Last edited:
A tripod for landscape photography is a different beast than one for most other uses. You can buy small, light and easy to carry, but in the end you will get more results with a long, heavy tripod.

I have been through 4 tripods that started small and light and worked up to using my Benro that was purchased to hold my Nikon D810 and 500mm F4 - it is a beast.

This is an ok day on Mam Tor - I have been up there when you struggled to stand up in the wind.

Dave.
lol which part of the photo is in focus? :D

This is an ok day on Mam Tor - I have been up there when you struggled to stand up in the wind.

Dave.

I use my tripod mainly for landscapes and so far haven't had issues. When I do I may rethink my choice :)

Dave.

Exactly!

With IBIS , you can get away with no tripod for landscape during the day

Not if you are using ND filters and doing long exposures.
I tend to use a lot ND filters and go for very long exposures, I need a very sturdy tripod and that's where some of the pack small tripods fail.

Seriously impressed with the Sony A7 III....... is the Sony A9 worth the price over the Sony A7 III for most users..... honestly I don't think it is. :eek:
In practice I am not finding the rear LCD and EVF significantly worse than the A9, yes their is a difference but its not a life & death difference.
I prefer using it in 8fps live view mode vs 10fps though.
I do miss the dedicated drive mode & focus mode dial of the A9.

Overall the Sony A7 III is worth the £1999 price tag, no question about it.
Even better for those go bagged the cheaper discounted offers.

Last edited:
Back