The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Are the two SSD same spec? :thinking:

No they aren't, running another internal SSD which is newer than the C: and it results are better

USB 3.0 can handle 640MBps, so pure speed isn't the issue - doesn't mean there can't be something else which impacts performance in certain scenarios.

My other, Sandisk Ultra II internal SSD performs better than the Crucial I have in C:

sanint.png

Last edited:
Would it be a good idea to sell the kit lens and upgrade to the FE 24-70mm f4?

Last edited:
Would it be a good idea to get rid of the kit lens and upgrade to a FE 24-70mm f4?

Perhaps wait for the tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens and pricing before making this choice?
The rumour site said its price will be released tomorrow for pre-orders

Try the kit lens and see what you think and decide if you'll use it :D

I bought one as I thought it'd come in handy but I haven't used it other than testing it to see if it was any good, and I think it is but I mostly use primes. I do think it's a good lens though for anyone looking for a standard range zoom. I've still got mine as if I sell it I'll no doubt decide I want it the next day.

I haven't used the 24-70 f/4 but I'm told it performs like a decent kit lens. Which would be fine if it wasn't priced like an exceptional lens.

I'd personally stick with the kit lens for its convenience, wait for something new (like the aforementioned Tamron) or save up for the 24-105mm f/4.

Kit lens is ok but no better than that. So probably yes. Wouldn’t pay full price for the 24-70 either though. It was £599 at currys the other day, not sure about now.

It's the best "kit" type lens I've ever used. It's compact, lightweight and plenty sharp enough. I think it's hard to fault it as a variable aperture standard zoom.

Perhaps wait for the tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens and pricing before making this choice?
The rumour site said its price will be released tomorrow for pre-orders

I looked on their website and didn't find any for the Sony, didn't know they had one being released.

Whats the rumour site? Sorry.

Kit lens is ok but no better than that. So probably yes. Wouldn’t pay full price for the 24-70 either though. It was £599 at currys the other day, not sure about now.

Did see the lens but it's out of stock everywhere. That's where I managed to pick the camera up from as well.

I sold a 28-70mm Sony on eBay for £211 last year, 18-55mm Fuji sell for £220ish on here....
Not really a fair comparison, should compare eBay vs. eBay or here vs. here. I had an offer for £160 on here not to long back got 28-70

Question, is there any way to set one of the Custom buttons to toggle between 2 focus modes?

So I set it to wide, but Press C1 will Toggle to Spot, press it again it'll be back to wide.

Can I do that?

Question, is there any way to set one of the Custom buttons to toggle between 2 focus modes?

So I set it to wide, but Press C1 will Toggle to Spot, press it again it'll be back to wide.

Can I do that?
Yea you can assign a custom hold button i think its called where you can set any camera settings including af to be activated

I haven't used the 24-70 f/4 but I'm told it performs like a decent kit lens. Which would be fine if it wasn't priced like an exceptional lens.

I'd personally stick with the kit lens for its convenience, wait for something new (like the aforementioned Tamron) or save up for the 24-105mm f/4.
My understanding of the 24-70mm is that the early ones weren’t great but they tweaked something under the radar and the latter ones are better, I’m not sure when the transition was though. From the many samples I’ve seen it looks a good performer to me, certainly better than a standard kit lens. As for price, we’ll it’s Sony and it’s got a Zeiss label on it so that clearly doubles the cost ;) Tbh though there’s a lot of lenses that don’t justify the cost. It’s like my Nikon 24-120mm f4 that I sold recently, well worth the £450 I paid, but if I’d paid the full retail of £900 (I think it was at the time) I’d have been disappointed.

My understanding of the 24-70mm is that the early ones weren’t great but they tweaked something under the radar and the latter ones are better, I’m not sure when the transition was though. From the many samples I’ve seen it looks a good performer to me, certainly better than a standard kit lens. As for price, we’ll it’s Sony and it’s got a Zeiss label on it so that clearly doubles the cost ;) Tbh though there’s a lot of lenses that don’t justify the cost. It’s like my Nikon 24-120mm f4 that I sold recently, well worth the £450 I paid, but if I’d paid the full retail of £900 (I think it was at the time) I’d have been disappointed.

Nah, I just think people don't know about lenses as much as they think they do and they end up moaning on internet forums. (Not that I know a huge lot :D )
The 24-70mm/4 suffers from field of curvature just like is APS-C brother 16-70mm which also has mixed reviews. Both these lenses are rather small for what they are and hence not corrected fully in optics for shooting brick walls :p
But if someone does want to shoot 3d stuff (you know to get a break from shooting brick walls) they fair pretty well.

And yes 16-70mm is overpriced and so is 24-70mm/4 but a good price at the discounted £600.

Tbh though there’s a lot of lenses that don’t justify the cost. It’s like my Nikon 24-120mm f4 that I sold recently, well worth the £450 I paid, but if I’d paid the full retail of £900 (I think it was at the time) I’d have been disappointed.

That's the rub, the second hand prices suck for Sony and as I'm allergic to buying new, it's a tiny bit annoying.

Recommendations for a camera bag....

I have never paid £2k for a lens, and it’s going to be Sigma.....they are meant to be cheaper lol

The nearest I got to £2k was my 35Lmk2, but having held the sample in the sigma stand I know at least where the money had gone.

I have never paid £2k for a lens, and it’s going to be Sigma.....they are meant to be cheaper lol

The nearest I got to £2k was my 35Lmk2, but having held the sample in the sigma stand I know at least where the money had gone.
But it's more expensive than the Nikkor :eek:

They might as well not release this lens in Nikon F mount :p

Back