The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

WEX, no idea.
Sigma 50, next few weeks I believe.
17-40, it should work ok.
Get the largest and fastest size you need and afford. I have 64-256G cards.
UHS-2 is worth it only if you shoot loads (like 40 shots) in a row.

Thanks. Or general availability at any place would be good to provide a general idea if you know? How long did it take for your one to arrive after ordering?

Thanks. Or general availability at any place would be good to provide a general idea if you know? How long did it take for your one to arrive after ordering?

I got mine on a whim at the photography show before most people soooooo I’m an bad example.

Do you know any other e mount zooms that are as small, quiet and cost about 80-100 quid? The lens is very quiet ime.

every manual zoom is quiet. The AF is quiet on 16-50mm also. The zooming is not so quiet.

18-55mm costs a little less but its not PZ.

I am planning to sell my A7iii next week as soon as I receive my A7Riii... If any one is interested...

I put the mc-11 adapter on my A7R3 with the Sigma 150-600C tonight and I’m not impressed, AF was problematic as was stabilisation.
I had bought the 100-400 thinking that the 1.4 tc from Sony would be a formality to obtain but no such luck. It doesn’t seem to be available anywhere in the world. 400mm is just too short for my purposes so until Sony manage to produce the TC I’ll have to try and get on with the Sigma.

I'm very happy with my latest lens :D

The walk to the shops on a lovely hot sunny day...

DSC00207-1.jpg

It's sharp enough at 100%.

DSC00215-C-1.jpg

It's nice enough for a cheap old lens. Pound Shop solar lights :D

DSC00223-1.jpg

This might be my last Sony related buy for a while as I can't think of anything else I want. Maybe I'll get a nice compact AF 35mm f1.8/2 if one comes out.

Last edited:
Reactions: nog
every manual zoom is quiet. The AF is quiet on 16-50mm also. The zooming is not so quiet.

18-55mm costs a little less but its not PZ.

Im glad you agree with my initial comment then....

...fast silent AF for video. I never said the manual zoom wasn't noisy.... the lever zoom isnt to bad.

Im glad you agree with my initial comment then....

...fast silent AF for video. I never said the manual zoom wasn't noisy.... the lever zoom isnt to bad.

yes the AF is silent but zooming is which kinda defeats the point of PZ doesn't it?
Its quite a nice lens especially on A7 series for 4k video in super35. hmm... may be I should just keep mine :D

yes the AF is silent but zooming is which kinda defeats the point of PZ doesn't it?
Its quite a nice lens especially on A7 series for 4k video in super35. hmm... may be I should just keep mine :D

What are you filming, studio documentaries? If you zoom that much in video you're doing it wrong anyway.

I'm surprised by how negative some of the responses to the review have been, to me it looks like a perfectly good just not exceptional lens?

You’ll always get the amateurs shooting pictures of their cats who think that buying anything other than the most expensive option will mean they won’t get the results they want.

Having watched a few reviews and looked at the output I think the Tamron looks like an excellent option at a price that’s more realistic.

What are you filming, studio documentaries? If you zoom that much in video you're doing it wrong anyway.
My brief experience with the PZ is you can’t zoom smoothly, so near on useless for video (unless you don’t zoom)

I keep forgetting I can zoom with it, I’m too used to primes.

My brief experience with the PZ is you can’t zoom smoothly, so near on useless for video (unless you don’t zoom)

No quite, you have multiple focal lengths, just because you have a zoom for video doesn't mean you zoom constantly while shooting the clip. It is pretty smooth, I just tried it again, I have the a5100 which has a more sensitive/smoother zoom lever at the shutter.

Last edited:

I always just used it for what it is, a very small general purpose kit lens. It’s got middle of the road variable aperture and a reasonable APS-C zoom range. It’s never going to deliver shallow depth of field portraits or long tele photography but it’s a <£100 general purpose lens.

22142127676_087ae48173_o.jpg

22142309916_0883ea902f_o.jpg

21545600524_0540fd2003_o.jpg

Had an impromptu walk yesterday evening around Entwistle reservoir.

bf2FxSJ.jpg

60ojYJQ.jpg

I always just used it for what it is, a very small general purpose kit lens. It’s got middle of the road variable aperture and a reasonable APS-C zoom range. It’s never going to deliver shallow depth of field portraits or long tele photography but it’s a <£100 general purpose lens.

View attachment 126879

View attachment 126880

View attachment 126881
How've you uploaded these Steve as they look very pixelated like bad jpeg artefacting on my screen, are they really low res?

Any opinions on the Loxia 21mm on a A7R2.
Only downside is it is manual focus only which i have not tried before as all my previous camera`s lenses have been AF

I see Cameraworld have it at £1,099 at the minute which seems to be the cheapest.

Any opinions on the Loxia 21mm on a A7R2.
Only downside is it is manual focus only which i have not tried before as all my previous camera`s lenses have been AF

I see Cameraworld have it at £1,099 at the minute which seems to be the cheapest.

Dunno how good that lens is but accurate MF is easy if you have time with the magnified view.

If you want AF Tokina do a MF 20mm f2 that's received good reviews and an AF version is available to pre order at some places but I don't know when it'll be in stock, maybe Google it for more info.

It was a blue sky and it looks blue here? Have you checked your screen calibration? :0)

you may have a point Steve,does anyone else see the purple in the blue and white

night and day difference,look fine from those links,no im using a mac

The ones on here doe have purple 'blotches' and as I said they look pixelated/blocky like a really poor quality file. But I agree with Snake, they look fine on flickr. I'm using Mac too, and yes my screen is calibrated :p

The ones on here doe have purple 'blotches' and as I said they look pixelated/blocky like a really poor quality file. But I agree with Snake, they look fine on flickr. I'm using Mac too, and yes my screen is calibrated :p

It will be the app compression on upload. I’m on my phone so it’s hard to get the BBCode from the Flickr app instead. I was only uploading them to show that the kit 16-50 wasn’t a bad walkabout lens!

Back