The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Dunno... Hang on while I have a think...

50's.
Sony 55mm f1.8 AF.
Nikon 50mm f1.4, f2.
Minolta 55mm f1.7 MC, f1.4, f1.2 MD's.
Zuiko 50mm f1.8, f1.4.
FD 50mm f1.8, f1.4.
Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro in MD fit.
So that's 11? Maybe.

35's.
Sony 35mm f2.8 AF.
Voigtlander f1.4.
Nikon f2.8.
FD f2.8.
Rokkor f2.8 MC, f1.8 MD.
Zuiko f2.8.
And that's 7? Or there abouts.

In my defence they are all different in look at their widest apertures and they vary in build and handling :D
You need a mitakon 50mm f0.95 to complete this :D

Last edited:
I didn't plan to buy a lens today, but….

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/20-off-almost-everything-uk-ebay-using-us-discount-now-live-2950568

Soooo…with max of $100 off, makes the Sony 85/1.8 the perfect candidate. There were a cheaper one from the EU but UK stock…..maximise my chances of getting that £50 cash back rebate!

l5DtCLA.png

Still waiting on my sigmas so i've been playing around in menu systems. I've a few small gripes that would be very easily sorted with firmware.

1) the clock has no second counter making it tough to time-sync our 4 bodies. I've figured a way of doing it but it's more convoluted and less accurate than the 'Time Sync' function in Nikon software. If they don't hold their time well this will be a major annoyance.
2) No Lossless compressed. Been argued online to death, but I just don't understand why they don't have this.
3) No way of quickly switching on/off auto ISO. This is super easy on a Nikon. Although I do like that i've managed to do away with having to press-diall-press to select ISO and I now have it assigned to the back wheel with no button pressing required.
4) Touchscreen is welcome coming from a D750 but it's still very limited. In this age of advanced touchscreens you kinda expect more. Much, much more.

One gripe I don't have is with the menu system. I love the depth and customisability of it.I don't get how people find it complicated. Sony have made it that you don't really even need to go into it after your initial setup (for stills work at least).

One gripe I don't have is with the menu system. I love the depth and customisability of it.I don't get how people find it complicated. Sony have made it that you don't really even need to go into it after your initial setup (for stills work at least).

Yup. It's the same with my Panny cameras, I only go into the menu to format the card or set the clock and if there's anything else I can't think what it is at the moment. I suppose I may be pretty easily pleased but I just don't understand the menu angst we see on line.

And on the subject of menu angst... Thom Hogan reviews the A7III...

http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/a...x-camera-reviews/sony-a7-mark-iii-camera.html

Well, what else did I expect? :D

D750 v A7III...

http://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/the-nikon-d750-versus-the.html

:D

"I’m going to tell you a story: give me a D850 and I’ll shoot rings around someone shooting with an A7Rm3. Just better images, and achieved more easily, and with a broader choice of lenses. Give me a D7500 and I’ll shoot rings around someone shooting with an A6500. Better images, achieved more easily, and with a broader choice of useful lenses despite...cough...buzz, buzz. That Nikon can’t tell this story is disappointing. But then, what do you expect when you cut your advertising budget into non-existence?"

Last edited:

http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/a...x-camera-reviews/sony-a7-mark-iii-camera.html

D750 v A7III...

"I’m going to tell you a story: give me a D850 and I’ll shoot rings around someone shooting with an A7Rm3. Just better images, and achieved more easily, and with a broader choice of lenses. Give me a D7500 and I’ll shoot rings around someone shooting with an A6500. Better images, achieved more easily, and with a broader choice of useful lenses despite...cough...buzz, buzz. That Nikon can’t tell this story is disappointing. But then, what do you expect when you cut your advertising budget into non-existence?"

I saw this posted in the D750 thread and it made me chuckle.

Dunno what I expected from him really, in fact I probably could have had a good stab at writing the piece for him... "Whinge about menu's (check) small buttons, ergonomics, (check) it's no smaller than a DSLR anyway (check) lack of connectivity (check) no back catalogue of lenses and Nikon (and grudgingly Canon) have so many more (check)... anything else? Oh yes... Nikon are soooo much better... (check)... if only they could get their act together (check.)"

I know I'm not exactly typical but I don't care about 99.9% of that, I just want a small form mirrorless camera with vaguely competitive image quality.

Dunno what I expected from him really, in fact I probably could have had a good stab at writing the piece for him... "Whinge about menu's (check) small buttons, ergonomics, (check) it's no smaller than a DSLR anyway (check) lack of connectivity (check) no back catalogue of lenses and Nikon (and grudgingly Canon) have so many more (check)... anything else? Oh yes... Nikon are soooo much better... (check)... if only they could get their act together (check.)"

I know I'm not exactly typical but I don't care about 99.9% of that, I just want a small form mirrorless camera with vaguely competitive image quality.

Horses for courses

D750 v A7III...

He's comparing it to the D750, but has a go at the Sony for bad menus, poor touchscreen and ergonomics. D750 has no touchscreen and LV focusing is awful. The menu system is older than some high school children and just as annoying at times. I love the grip of the D750 but it doesn't have a dedicated AF-ON button - Nikon deliberately hamstrung it in many ways. And as for "handling in rain or snow with gloves on' I've shot in an Icelandic winter with the D750 and it's difficult to use any DSLR when gloved up.

If he's doing a like for like comparison, the A7iii shames my beloved D750 in almost every way. And if he wants a car comparison, the A7iii is an Audi RS6 Avant.

On the plus side, reviews like this will hopefully help me sell my old NIkon gear easily.

Maybe I'm just a hardy northerner but I've taken pictures in -20 and below in Kazakhstan mountains in snow and in your typical cold wet winters in northern England, which I've been told feel colder than Kazakh winters because we have a wet cold, apparently, and I think I agree with that... whatever... I hardly ever wear gloves and certainly not when taking pictures. There have been times when I've been a little bit cold :D so I have taken pictures with a gloved left hand and when I'm not actually using the camera I put my hands in my pockets for a quick warm and then get on with it :D

Sigma Imaging UK says they are hoping they receive stock of the FE35 this month.

Wonder why its been delayed so much. Annoying.

Yeah they seemed abit miffed everytime I rang them lol

Sigma Imaging UK says they are hoping they receive stock of the FE35 this month.

Wonder why its been delayed so much. Annoying.

Wilkinson cameras says they are still busy completing ART 50 orders, so they have no sight of ART 35 yet from distributors. one of the reasons I gave up on it

@nandbytes Have you got the 28-75 yet or still waiting?
I ended up cancelling my pre order a couple of days ago which has freed up £650 which I'm tempted to put towards the A7III

What is it with Zeiss releasing slightly non traditional focal lengths

25mm, 55mm and now 40mm.

Although between a 35/2.8 or a 40/2.0 I’d go for the 2.0 all day long.

I recall Olympus making a 40mm way back which they described in their brochure as useful for reporters, being more or less a normal perspective but fitting more in the frame. Never seen it new or used though. I guess it would make a good street/candid lens.

Dunno... Hang on while I have a think...

50's.
Sony 55mm f1.8 AF.
Nikon 50mm f1.4, f2.
Minolta 55mm f1.7 MC, f1.4, f1.2 MD's.
Zuiko 50mm f1.8, f1.4.
FD 50mm f1.8, f1.4.
Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro in MD fit.
So that's 11? Maybe.

35's.
Sony 35mm f2.8 AF.
Voigtlander f1.4.
Nikon f2.8.
FD f2.8.
Rokkor f2.8 MC, f1.8 MD.
Zuiko f2.8.
And that's 7? Or there abouts.

In my defence they are all different in look at their widest apertures and they vary in build and handling :D

Would the above beautifully insane collection in any way help justify me buying a 25mm loxia when I've already got a 25 batis? Want to keep the batis, but want the loxia more.

When you look at Alan's collection, then having 2 x 25mm lenses doesn't seem excessive.

They will render quite differently I'm sure, so you can choose the best lens for each subject.

There you go, does that make you feel better and help justify your purchase!

I recall Olympus making a 40mm way back which they described in their brochure as useful for reporters, being more or less a normal perspective but fitting more in the frame. Never seen it new or used though. I guess it would make a good street/candid lens.
Yup, both Oly and Minolta made manual focus 40mm f2's and they often crop up on evil bay but they do seem rather pricey, maybe between £200--£300 and more if you'll pay it. Voigtlander did the f2 Ultron and I'm sure there's a Pentax pancake one too and maybe more.

I fancy just about all of those :D but have the modern Voigtlander f1.2 and a Rokkor 45mm f2.

When you look at Alan's collection, then having 2 x 25mm lenses doesn't seem excessive.

They will render quite differently I'm sure, so you can choose the best lens for each subject.

There you go, does that make you feel better and help justify your purchase!

Reason enough.

Well if the Sigma 35 is delayed I might have to look at procuring another Samyang 1.4 instead... although it’s annoying that the places that are a lot cheaper don’t have stock!!!

Im going to wait on the Sigma. I wont be buying another Samyang after debating it. Have been looking at the images I shot with it and I dont like how it renders at all. The bokeh has a very strange artificial look I find. I will be shooting the next 3-4 weddings with a 16-35 and the 2 sigma art lenses I have unfortunately, no 35 until later in the month

Cashback claimed 3rd June and in my bank today. 5 days, Well done Sony.

Nice. My previous claim took two weeks which I was already impressed with. My recent canon claim took ages (6 weeks)

Have you had both the sony 24-105 and the tamron 28-75 Chris, if so which did you prefer?

Honestly I’m happy with the Tamron, yes its missing a couple of things (24mm for one!) and I’m surprised how much I miss the on-len custom button but for £700 I don’t think I can complain.
I need to do some more shooting and try it for some night shots but I’m not seeing any real difference the 24-105 (which seems to bear out the more technical comparisons)

Back