The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Jase - I am not sure what focal range you currently take out with you but as has already been mentioned above the F4 lenses do save on weight and money.

If I was looking to travel light but still retain excellent quality I would choose the A7R3 with the 16-35 2.8GM and the 24-105 F4G.

The 16-35GM is utterly superb and reviews are saying the same about the 24-105.

That will give you 16 to 105mm - I rarely shoot over 100mm with the 70-200 I carry but your usage may vary.

You will save weight in the body and I think the 16-35 2.8 GM is actually the same weight as the Nikon 16-35 F4.

Dave..

Hi Dave, my usual kit is Nikon D850, 16-35, 24-70, 70-200 and a DJI Mavic Pro together with filters, torches etc (sometimes I'll switch the 16-35 for my 14-24).

I can obviously cut the Mavic out, the 70-200 I find useful but I would say is the least used on most landscape shoots.

It would be interesting to have a change and see how I get on with it. If I've got time I may go to a camera store over the weekend, it's going to kill me not being able to do my landscape/mountain photography over the summer.

Hi Dave, my usual kit is Nikon D850, 16-35, 24-70, 70-200 and a DJI Mavic Pro together with filters, torches etc (sometimes I'll switch the 16-35 for my 14-24).

I can obviously cut the Mavic out, the 70-200 I find useful but I would say is the least used on most landscape shoots.

It would be interesting to have a change and see how I get on with it. If I've got time I may go to a camera store over the weekend, it's going to kill me not being able to do my landscape/mountain photography over the summer.

I would check what focal length you have used the 70-200 at and if under / around 105mm max then you have an answer with the 24-105.

Or consider the 70-200 F4 - the Nikon version is a great lens and will save you quite a lot of weight in the bag.

In all seriousness you could just get out with the D850, 16-35 and buy yourself a 24-120 F4. At least you would still be taking pictures :)

Update on the 35, I have noticed that when I focus sometimes between things it will like half jump to get focus, then stop for a fraction of a second then jump into focus. The 50 and 85 definitely dont do this and it just doesnt seem right to me

The images are razor sharp and the focus is really accurate though! Bit of a head scratcher

Update on the 35, I have noticed that when I focus sometimes between things it will like half jump to get focus, then stop for a fraction of a second then jump into focus. The 50 and 85 definitely dont do this and it just doesnt seem right to me

The images are razor sharp and the focus is really accurate though! Bit of a head scratcher
umm sounds worse then my sigma art 35mm canon adapted

I think the latest rumor is that Canon are releasing an APS-C CSC this September and both Canon and Nikon releasing a FF second quarter next year. Sony will have sold a lot of MKIII bodies by then. It'll be interesting to see what Sony do in APS-C, I'd like to see an APS-C RF style body with dials front and back for aperture and shutter and a compensation dial rather than the one dial and back wheel arrangement. I think they could also do a mini SLR style APS-C for those who prefer that layout.

APS-C sensor body again? Another M5 wannabee body, sigh ... disappointing but :canon: :p:D

It sounds like its micro adjusting, which mirrorless systems do, it may be more noticeable because its slower than the 50/85.

I think the latest rumor is that Canon are releasing an APS-C CSC this September and both Canon and Nikon releasing a FF second quarter next year. Sony will have sold a lot of MKIII bodies by then. It'll be interesting to see what Sony do in APS-C, I'd like to see an APS-C RF style body with dials front and back for aperture and shutter and a compensation dial rather than the one dial and back wheel arrangement. I think they could also do a mini SLR style APS-C for those who prefer that layout.

Woohoo another Canon CSC APSC......... put it in the bin. Wheres the poo emoji!

Last edited:
APS-C sensor body again? Another M5 wannabee body, sigh ... disappointing but :canon: :p:D
There's a few Sony APS-C cameras to choose from but none afaik have the more traditional twin dials, one front and one back, and some do prefer the mini dslr form plus of course there are those who see aps-c as the sweet spot mix of quality v bulk and weight.

From a manufacturing point of view I'm sure they could do one pdq as per Fuji, Oly and Panny.

It sounds like its micro adjusting, which mirrorless systems do, it may be more noticeable because its slower than the 50/85.

It doesnt always do it and its really fast otherwise. Im seriously impressed with it bar that quirk. Im not sure its meant to do it though so may get another one sent out ! Be gutted if the replacement wasnt as sharp though lol

It doesnt always do it and its really fast otherwise. Im seriously impressed with it bar that quirk. Im not sure its meant to do it though so may get another one sent out ! Be gutted if the replacement wasnt as sharp though lol

Go for it if you think its really faulty, sounds like a characteristic as its not a constant fault..... like not AFing at all. Could be its not picking up the contrast enough or there isnt enough contrast between the 2 objects which is confusing the AF system.

Last edited:
Try something definitive like a box or deo can or something at close range on a window cill, focus on the deo can get lock (snap) then move at least 2 small AF squares away from the edge of the can and lock on the background (whatever that is and snap) so you're moving from close to fairly far.

You should have a can snap and a BG snap... both locked in focus.

Last edited:
Try something definitive like a box or deo can or something at close range on a window cill, focus on the deo can get lock (snap) then move at least 2 small AF squares away from the edge of the can and lock on the background (whatever that is) so you're moving from close to fairly far.

Sometimes it just doesnt do it and its the same sort of target. Its really fast and accurate, i just noticed it and thought it was maybe a quirk of the lens.

The accuracy like I say is about as good as ive seen

To be honest I've not noticed much of a difference at all AF performance wise between my adapted 35mm Art and FE mount 50mm Art. This is in good light, I'd expect to see a difference in low light?

Ive noticed a huge difference in good light and even more so in low light with extreme AF tests (its what I like so...), what I wouldn't consider acceptable has become very good. The 35 and MC11 hit rate with subject tracking toward me was nowhere near what Im seeing with the native mount 50. Posed stuff the MC11 is a good option though and it locks fast.

Ive noticed a huge difference in good light and even more so in low light with extreme AF tests (its what I like so...), what I wouldn't consider acceptable has become very good. The 35 and MC11 hit rate with subject tracking toward me was nowhere near what Im seeing with the native mount 50. Posed stuff the MC11 is a good option though and it locks fast.

Hmmm, I wonder if it is an A7III/A9 difference? I haven't used the 35 to track someone sprinting at me (not really my choice of lens for that!), but it's perfectly fine for walking/playing about so far.

Hmmm, I wonder if it is an A7III/A9 difference? I haven't used the 35 to track someone sprinting at me (not really my choice of lens for that!), but it's perfectly fine for walking/playing about so far.

If it works for you theres not much point in going for native, save the quids for something else. (y)

Thought i’d say hi to the thread as a recent Sony convert who has recently moved from Canon 5D3 to Fuji X-T2 and now to Sony A7RIII. I’m impressed with the camera so far - bit of a learning curve but impressed at flexibility and customisation options. Have bought 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, and 55 1.8/851.8 thus far. No telezoom yet and struggling on that front. 70-200 (4 or 2.8), 70-300 G or 100-400. I have conflicting requirements where I want the best possible, the lightest possible, Black not white, the fastest possible, the most versatile, the best value etc. From experience, I know I will instantly and permanently regret whichever aspect turns out to be the compromise. I’m sure you’ve all been there. Or is it just me? lol!

If it works for you theres not much point in going for native, save the quids for something else. (y)

I've only bought the 50mm as my old one wouldn't work with the converter, it's nice to have a native lens as well :D

My plan is to wait and see what Canikon bring to the table. I'm liking the A9 though, especially as I've sorted out the handling, will my patience hold... :eek:

I've only bought the 50mm as my old one wouldn't work with the converter, it's nice to have a native lens as well :D

My plan is to wait and see what Canikon bring to the table. I'm liking the A9 though, especially as I've sorted out the handling, will my patience hold... :eek:

Well it'll have to unless you want an eosm or Nikon 1..... Spits. I really hope they bring something worthwhile but canon has that mindset about tiny increments and crippling.

I know the Sigma lenses are going to be the size that they are, but with every lens adding that extra 2 inches….you are going to need a new bag/case.

e.g., it won't fit standing up in my pelican for example. Those who wants to sell their DSLR gear and replace it like for like (especially if you get Sigma lenses) really need to think twice.

6oAOyJZ.jpg

I know the Sigma lenses are going to be the size that they are, but with every lens adding that extra 2 inches….you are going to need a new bag/case.

e.g., it won't fit standing up in my pelican for example. Those who wants to sell their DSLR gear and replace it like for like (especially if you get Sigma lenses) really need to think twice.

6oAOyJZ.jpg

2 inches? Time to get your ruler fixed.

Thought i’d say hi to the thread as a recent Sony convert who has recently moved from Canon 5D3 to Fuji X-T2 and now to Sony A7RIII. I’m impressed with the camera so far - bit of a learning curve but impressed at flexibility and customisation options. Have bought 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, and 55 1.8/851.8 thus far. No telezoom yet and struggling on that front. 70-200 (4 or 2.8), 70-300 G or 100-400. I have conflicting requirements where I want the best possible, the lightest possible, Black not white, the fastest possible, the most versatile, the best value etc. From experience, I know I will instantly and permanently regret whichever aspect turns out to be the compromise. I’m sure you’ve all been there. Or is it just me? lol!

Have to admit I absolutely love the 70-200 2.8 especially (wait for it) for portrait shots. The background separation is supreme and really makes the subject stand out.

Hmm I went from Canon 5D -> Canon 1D MK IV -> Nikon D300S -> Nikon D3 -> Olympus EM-5 (for portability) -> Sony A7R III.

I have not really regretted any of it, my favourite jump by far was moving from heavy DSLR to the Oly kit. With the Sony lenses (especially the glass I like) it is back to heavier/more bulky but no where near as much as the DSLR stuff.

The A7R III is certainly a learning curve and it is a constant reminder to me how much this amazing mirrorless technology has come on.

Sony need the sensor sales. It'll be interesting to see if the mkIII's finally get Sony selling more mirrorless than Canon in Japan.

I thought Nikon use the base Sony sensor but still add their tech around its implementation in their cameras?

Sony need the sensor sales. It'll be interesting to see if the mkIII's finally get Sony selling more mirrorless than Canon in Japan.

I thought Nikon use the base Sony sensor but still add their tech around its implementation in their cameras?

Quite a few camera companies use Sony sensors - I think Canon started selling their sensors to other companies in 2016; two years on from when their new fabrication plan went live.

Here is a good answer back in 2015

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/69457/what-camera-companies-make-their-own-sensors

Have to admit I absolutely love the 70-200 2.8 especially (wait for it) for portrait shots. The background separation is supreme and really makes the subject stand out.

Hmm I went from Canon 5D -> Canon 1D MK IV -> Nikon D300S -> Nikon D3 -> Olympus EM-5 (for portability) -> Sony A7R III.

I have not really regretted any of it, my favourite jump by far was moving from heavy DSLR to the Oly kit. With the Sony lenses (especially the glass I like) it is back to heavier/more bulky but no where near as much as the DSLR stuff.

The A7R III is certainly a learning curve and it is a constant reminder to me how much this amazing mirrorless technology has come on.

I think I'd reached a point on my 5D3 when the 5D4 came out at an incredibly expensive launch price, that I was done with Canon. The limited tiny incremental upgrades, the crippling, the holding back of features, pricing strategy, and what was obsolescent mirror technology made me think there was no point in buying mirrored cameras any more when they were so expensive, so big, but would be worth so little in relatively short order. The X-T2 cost me little more to buy than amount the 5D4 has depreciated. I'm back up size wise to full frame and I'm good with that as long as I can reduce the size for when I want to travel light. I think the size of the Sony means it can be both a serious FF camera, and a reasonably compact travel camera with superb quality. I'm not naive enough to think it won't depreciate more than the X-T2 costs, but it's cost me a lot less than the 5D4 would have done. (That's if I ignore the extra premium for the lenses....) I'd like the 70-200 2.8, but need to get over the size and weight of that or at least persuade myself I'll not leave it at home as often as I did with the Canon 2.8 II. In ideal world, I'd have an F4 for travel, and an F2.8 for everything else, but I don't use those Focal Lengths hugely, and I'm strictly amateur use now (I just like nice gear :) ) so both is out of the question. I think it will end up being the 2.8 version, with tape around the white bits.

I think I'd reached a point on my 5D3 when the 5D4 came out at an incredibly expensive launch price, that I was done with Canon. The limited tiny incremental upgrades, the crippling, the holding back of features, pricing strategy, and what was obsolescent mirror technology made me think there was no point in buying mirrored cameras any more when they were so expensive, so big, but would be worth so little in relatively short order. The X-T2 cost me little more to buy than amount the 5D4 has depreciated. I'm back up size wise to full frame and I'm good with that as long as I can reduce the size for when I want to travel light. I think the size of the Sony means it can be both a serious FF camera, and a reasonably compact travel camera with superb quality. I'm not naive enough to think it won't depreciate more than the X-T2 costs, but it's cost me a lot less than the 5D4 would have done. (That's if I ignore the extra premium for the lenses....) I'd like the 70-200 2.8, but need to get over the size and weight of that or at least persuade myself I'll not leave it at home as often as I did with the Canon 2.8 II. In ideal world, I'd have an F4 for travel, and an F2.8 for everything else, but I don't use those Focal Lengths hugely, and I'm strictly amateur use now (I just like nice gear :) ) so both is out of the question. I think it will end up being the 2.8 version, with tape around the white bits.

Yes, the weight is definitely a determining factor on what you plan to do with it. I don't mind to be honest but it can be a pain if you have all your lenses in one bag, I'm deffo amateur with no interest in the commercial/pro aspect but I know what I like hence the selection.

Somewhat amusingly I took a 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 and the 85mm 1.8 with me three weeks ago to Cyprus ! Ended up having an argument with the checkin staff (i mean come on it was like .5 kg over the limit) and the missus was having kittens in case it got damaged/stolen but you know.. insurance.

Check-in allowed me to take the camera onboard in the end and I loved taking the kit to get those holiday snaps. Obviously had to keep the missus happy too by doing the odd beach walk. Ahem.

Nikon uses its own processing and they used to get better results from Sony sensors than Sony could but that's changed. I thought the a6k was the best selling mirrorless worldwide.

Yes, the weight is definitely a determining factor on what you plan to do with it. I don't mind to be honest but it can be a pain if you have all your lenses in one bag, I'm deffo amateur with no interest in the commercial/pro aspect but I know what I like hence the selection.

Somewhat amusingly I took a 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 and the 85mm 1.8 with me three weeks ago to Cyprus ! Ended up having an argument with the checkin staff (i mean come on it was like .5 kg over the limit) and the missus was having kittens in case it got damaged/stolen but you know.. insurance.

Check-in allowed me to take the camera onboard in the end and I loved taking the kit to get those holiday snaps. Obviously had to keep the missus happy too by doing the odd beach walk. Ahem.

Oh no - that's a bit of a nightmare - which airline was checking weight of carry on bags and I'll be sure never to book with them ever again! For travel, I'm anticipating a 35mm (or 16-35), 55mm, 85mm primes combo but I do mix and match. I found even with the Fuji, I'd tend to leave the 50-140 behind to keep my bag light, so in practice, I should at most be considering the F4 Sony which is about the same as the Fuji lens physically. On the other hand, I can justify a logic that says fair enough, you won't always want to carry this lens, but if you have it, then at least if you need it, you can bring it along. That's when I start to think the 100-400 fits that logic, as it's big, but no bigger than the 2.8 that I'd also leave at home often lol. I need help.

stick a lens or 2 in your pocket.

Done that before….

Back