The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Is that a Grand Master in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me, Sir!

This is a story i've told before. 6 months ago I went to Japan.

Backpack with MBP, headphones, Nintendo Switch, 5D4, 35L, Sigma 50A, 85L. Bag is easily like 10kg.

Leg 1 - Heathrow to Tokyo, BA, 23kg luggage, no problem. Except I have an internal flight straight away.

Leg 2 - Tokyo to Fukuoka with Jetstar, weight limit 7kg.

Checked in suitcase and got to the gate and saw them with a scales on the floor weighing everyone's bags.

I then proceed to put the headphones over my head, filters and batteries in my jeans pockets. A 35L in left coat pocket and 50A in right coat pocket. Managed to just squeeze in under the weight limit.

Of course 10 ft after the scales when i was in the tunnel I put everything back inside the bag.

Last edited:
Sony competition...

Steve Huff reports that the rumored new Leica FF camera is actually a $21k special edition M10 and the new small camera is a rebadged Panny TZ200...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2018/...10-the-new-edition-zagato-car-home-or-camera/

Well whoopie doo on both counts.

I have the similar TZ100 and it's a nice camera, I just don't understand anyone who buys these rebadged Pannys at inflated prices.

This is a story i've told before. 6 months ago I went to Japan...

I take a soft sports bag as carry on and I put my cameras inside in their own bags plus my jacket if I take it off. This has never been a problem but at Abu Dhabi last year they had the smallest trays I've ever seen, I'm sure they were smaller than other years and they declared my bag as oversized but I took my jacket out and as it's a soft bag I just scrunched it up so it fit. My point being you can't be sure unless you read the small print, if it's there.

I take a soft sports bag as carry on and I put my cameras inside in their own bags plus my jacket if I take it off. This has never been a problem but at Abu Dhabi last year they had the smallest trays I've ever seen, I'm sure they were smaller than other years and they declared my bag as oversized but I took my jacket out and as it's a soft bag I just scrunched it up so it fit. My point being you can't be sure unless you read the small print, if it's there.

Generally I go for BA due to the 23kg weight limit but Jetstar has a 7kg.

The other time i couldn't carry my gear on carry on was when i had the pelican with me. Which survived but both latches were open when i got it back, only held together with the padlocks. That was with United.

Another travel thing...

I've given up putting my bag in the overhead after I saw some clown ramming his hard case in time after time to make room for it. I felt like chinning him.

Nikon uses its own processing and they used to get better results from Sony sensors than Sony could but that's changed. I thought the a6k was the best selling mirrorless worldwide.

Worldwide I don't know, I was on about their home market of Japan where Olympus have been ruling the roost for mirrorless and for the last two years Canon have edged out Sony to take second place.

They say a picture paints a thousand words but you could maybe condense them to "Dad, I'm soooo disappointed in you." :D

4xd750 bodies, 2x85mm, 2x35mm 24mm and 45mm, flashes, batteries and chargers. All in one think tank bag. Never had anyone stop me or weigh the bag. Viva aer lingus!

4xd750 bodies, 2x85mm, 2x35mm 24mm and 45mm, flashes, batteries and chargers. All in one think tank bag. Never had anyone stop me or weigh the bag. Viva aer lingus!

Which think tank bag for that lot Dec?

I’m a fan of the bags and could do with upgrading my ‘store most kit’ bag.

I use a Think Tank Respective 6 as hand luggage when travelling on planes. It is like a Tardis and holds all I ever need. Really pleased with it and would recommend it or one of the others from their range to suit your needs.

Whats the handiest way to toggle face detect off and on? Like when Im shooting a portrait and want to focus on eyelashes etc shooting downwards.

Thanks

Which think tank bag for that lot Dec?

I’m a fan of the bags and could do with upgrading my ‘store most kit’ bag.

Airport international, mate. Looks really neat and inconspicuous. We had a mandatory check in bag order with easyjet and when I opened the bag and explained to them the cost of the gear, they let it through.

Those think tank bags feel bullet proof. Couldn't recommend them more.

Whats the handiest way to toggle face detect off and on? Like when Im shooting a portrait and want to focus on eyelashes etc shooting downwards.

Thanks
Custom button, or second fastest will be having it in the fn menu

The customisation is really, really great. It would be stubborn of Nikon and Canon not to follow that model with their future mirrorless cameras. I'd love a front C5 button - nestled between the lens mount and grip like Nikon have.

How’s the sigma 35mm going, and did you ever have the Samyang version, would be interesting to hear a direct comparison

The Sigma 35 is in a different league to the Samyang

I actually didn't like the bokeh or rendering of the Samyang looking back on images

Sharper, faster and infinitely more consistent. Had abit of a quirk with the AF and gonna get another one to see if it has the same issue. About to shoot a wedding with all Sony and Sigma art natives so ill let you know how I get on. Done shoots with the 50 and 85, theyre absolutely perfect

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sigma 35 is in a different league to the Samyang

I actually didn't like the bokeh or rendering of the Samyang looking back on images

Sharper, faster and infinitely more consistent. Had abit of a quirk with the AF and gonna get another one to see if it has the same issue. About to shoot a wedding with all Sony and Sigma art natives so ill let you know how I get on. Done shoots with the 50 and 85, theyre absolutely perfect

Which Samyang did you have? 1.4 or 2.8?

Oh no - that's a bit of a nightmare - which airline was checking weight of carry on bags and I'll be sure never to book with them ever again! For travel, I'm anticipating a 35mm (or 16-35), 55mm, 85mm primes combo but I do mix and match. I found even with the Fuji, I'd tend to leave the 50-140 behind to keep my bag light, so in practice, I should at most be considering the F4 Sony which is about the same as the Fuji lens physically. On the other hand, I can justify a logic that says fair enough, you won't always want to carry this lens, but if you have it, then at least if you need it, you can bring it along. That's when I start to think the 100-400 fits that logic, as it's big, but no bigger than the 2.8 that I'd also leave at home often lol. I need help.

It was Thomson, 7KG limit but I reminded them that they need to combine the carrier limit of 27kg for the suitcase as per their terms and conditions. The checkin person grudingly agreed.

stick a lens or 2 in your pocket.

Done that before….

I can't believe I didn't think of that.. looks like next time it will be 10kg.. ;)

I can't believe I didn't think of that.. looks like next time it will be 10kg.. ;)

Come to think of it, I had my camera with a lens swing over my shoulder too so technically I was wearing every piece of camera gear I had. She didn't make me put the camera back in in the bag.

Which have you tried? I notice there are quite a few brands now. I've always found Ex-Pro replacements to be decent for other cameras I've owned.

Ive 4 originals and a few 3rd party ones. They drain about twice as fast. Qumox is the brand

I got a cheap old lens today :D so just incase anyone is interested...

It's a Miranda 24mm f2.8 in Canon FD fit, actually breech lock... It seems ok, vignetting is epic at f2.8 needing maybe a +80 correction in CS5 and is reduced at f8 and possibly gone at f11. That's disappointing and worse than I expected but at least it's within the range of my software (CS5) to correct. It seems sharp enough and one nice thing is that it focuses closer than you'd think which is nice for effect. The bokeh seems quite nice for a wide lens, which is also nice :D

I can't go out today so my test shots have just been in the garden and garage.

DSC00664.jpg

DSC00737.jpg

DSC00745.jpg

DSC00766.jpg

This is a 100% crop and it wont look as sharp here as on my screen but I'll post it anyway...

DSC00700.jpg

I could have paid more for a Canon lens and I would have preferred a non breech lock one but this Miranda is ok once the vignetting is corrected and the close focus and bokeh are nice, and it was cheaper :D

Last edited:
MX5 :D My 3rd. Mrs WW in the background.

DSC08831.jpg

The only MG's I've had are a 67 MGB Roadster and a rubber bumper Midget. I did look at the MGF and test drove several over a period of time but they all had iffy handling when pushing on (probably too much pushing on but I was a hooligan) probably due to the hydrogas suspension needing to be properly fettled. My mam had Metro's and they used to go lopsided and needed regular topping up. It worried me that brand new cars had these issues, anyway for that reason I much preferred the MG TF and I wish I'd had one of those.

MX5 :D My 3rd. Mrs WW in the background.

View attachment 128762

The only MG's I've had are a 67 MGB Roadster and a rubber bumper Midget. I did look at the MGF and test drove several over a period of time but they all had iffy handling when pushing on (probably too much pushing on but I was a hooligan) probably due to the hydrogas suspension needing to be properly fettled. My mam had Metro's and they used to go lopsided and needed regular topping up. It worried me that brand new cars had these issues, anyway for that reason I much preferred the MG TF and I wish I'd had one of those.

lol, I just worked out it was an MX5 :D The MG's have a similar metal strip there but it's curved and doesn't have the raised fixing.

Much to my shame I have a MG TF 160 rotting away on my drive :(

lol, I just worked out it was an MX5 :D The MG's have a similar metal strip there but it's curved and doesn't have the raised fixing.

Much to my shame I have a MG TF 160 rotting away on my drive :(

You should look after it. Like I said, I do regret not getting one and the TF's are IMO good cars with more involving handing than the MX5 but without the knife edge of the Lotus Elise and of course they're much more practical than an Elise. Mine was an early one with the ceramic and aluminium brakes and they were lethal in the wet.

You should look after it. Like I said, I do regret not getting one and the TF's are IMO good cars with more involving handing than the MX5 but without the knife edge of the Lotus Elise and of course they're much more practical than an Elise. Mine was an early one with the ceramic and aluminium brakes and they were lethal in the wet.

It had stood for a couple of years, I made an effort to get it going again but it ended in disaster. It started up fine, but next thing I know oil starts pouring out of the engine. Turned it off immediately and I'm not sure if it is just a seal that has perished or oil filter has rotted, or both! It had also thrown a belt or two. I don't mind getting my hand dirty, but I'm no mechanic. So to my shame it has now sat there for another couple of years :(

I mean to get it up onto axle mounts this year to have a better look. I've said that the last couple of years though!

Quick off topic pic, and then I shall say no more on the matter before the thread police descend :D

P1060067
by JJ, on Flickr

Last edited:
We can fend off the forum police :D

That's very nice and I'm sure it's worth sorting. Will you persevere, get it going and keep it? I'm sure there'd be a market for it if you gave up.

I have a good old practical Hyundai Getz as well but I do like to get the MX5 out when I can, which isn't often as at the moment I'm not getting any free time.

I got a cheap old lens today :D so just incase anyone is interested...

It's a Miranda 24mm f2.8 in Canon FD fit, actually breech lock... It seems ok, vignetting is epic at f2.8 needing maybe a +80 correction in CS5 and is reduced at f8 and possibly gone at f11. That's disappointing and worse than I expected but at least it's within the range of my software (CS5) to correct. It seems sharp enough and one nice thing is that it focuses closer than you'd think which is nice for effect. The bokeh seems quite nice for a wide lens, which is also nice :D

I can't go out today so my test shots have just been in the garden and garage.

View attachment 128757

View attachment 128758

View attachment 128759

View attachment 128760

This is a 100% crop and it wont look as sharp here as on my screen but I'll post it anyway...

View attachment 128761

I could have paid more for a Canon lens and I would have preferred a non breech lock one but this Miranda is ok once the vignetting is corrected and the close focus and bokeh are nice, and it was cheaper :D

That 1st one is really nice, love that.

Quick off topic pic, and then I shall say no more on the matter before the thread police descend :D

Unlike the people over at the fuji thread we recognise that its possible to have a life outside Sony gear :D
and hence people may talk about other things that (god forbid) is not sony related :D

Last edited:
We can fend off the forum police :D

That's very nice and I'm sure it's worth sorting. Will you persevere, get it going and keep it? I'm sure there'd be a market for it if you gave up.

I have a good old practical Hyundai Getz as well but I do like to get the MX5 out when I can, which isn't often as at the moment I'm not getting any free time.

I'd love to, garden is nearly sorted (that's been taking up weekends of late) then I'll get another pair of axle stands and at least start the process. It's a great little car and it really deserves to be running.

It had stood for a couple of years, I made an effort to get it going again but it ended in disaster. It started up fine, but next thing I know pull starts pouring out of the engine. Turned it off immediately and I'm not sure if it is just a seal that has perished or oil filter has rotted, or both! It had also thrown a belt or two. I don't mind getting my hand dirty, but I'm no mechanic. So to my shame it has now sat there for another couple of years :(

I mean to get it up onto axle mounts this year to have a better look. I've said that the last couple of years though!

P1060067
by JJ, on Flickr

Really nice looking car, I've been looking at MX5's for some cheap, fun thrills now that I'm not really needing a car for everyday.

I used to be very into cars and I've had some nice ones but small two seat soft tops are what I like best and I think MX5's or MG's take some beating for fun at any price.

Last edited:
Back