The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Cars and Sigma lenses.

The CZ 35 isn't that bad :p

y04WNPm.jpg

Airport international, mate. Looks really neat and inconspicuous. We had a mandatory check in bag order with easyjet and when I opened the bag and explained to them the cost of the gear, they let it through.

Those think tank bags feel bullet proof. Couldn't recommend them more.

I have been looking at them, they do feel good too.

After the dog got me up at 6 a.m. and I had to wrestle with the problem of a squirrel trapped inside a bird feeder:eek: I thought I'd play with the 85mm Batis recently bought on here. I decided to look at bokeh at different apertures of the same subject:

42801523442_47d17d7426_c.jpg

F4

42801523052_6c03deeb9a_c.jpg

F5.6

42850132921_14fea9bc59_c.jpg

F8
All on A7R3. I didn't get any more as canine intrusions prevented me. Images simply cropped and exported from Lightroom.

I was quite pleased with the bokeh all through this short range, even the F8 wasn't too bad to my eyes.

Last edited:
Might take the Sonys out for a pre-wedding shoot today. The only reason I say *might* is that I don't get my 35mm lenses until tomorrow and that is my main lens for this type of shoot.

Last edited:
Well folks I've decided to move on the A7r3 - struggling for any kind of motivation right now or indeed much time for shooting and really would rather spend some of the cash elsewhere.
Also struggling with trying to justify the cost of some of the glass I'd like (telephoto) when I know I could buy something that does 95% of the job for about 25% of the price in a Nikon mount.
I'm sure its not farewell, I do love using the Sony stuff but the wallet has to trump having an expensive bit of kit sitting unused, might even just pickup a cheap used D610/D750 and a 35mm and make do with that for a while!

Well folks I've decided to move on the A7r3 - struggling for any kind of motivation right now or indeed much time for shooting and really would rather spend some of the cash elsewhere.
Also struggling with trying to justify the cost of some of the glass I'd like (telephoto) when I know I could buy something that does 95% of the job for about 25% of the price in a Nikon mount.
I'm sure its not farewell, I do love using the Sony stuff but the wallet has to trump having an expensive bit of kit sitting unused, might even just pickup a cheap used D610/D750 and a 35mm and make do with that for a while!

Lol, you do the same thing over and over.

Lol, you do the same thing over and over.
There are many people on this and other forums who do this and while I don't tend to buy and sell too often I can see the attraction of chopping and changing and using different kit. A change is as good as a rest etc.

Chris, I do wonder if all this gear swapping and expense could be a bit wearing and maybe a part of the lack of motivation... along with lack of time and money sat in gear not doing anything of course.

As an antidote to expensive unused kit I'd recommend a Panny GX80 and Olympus 17mm f1.8 :D or a 1" thingy like the Panny TZ100/TZ200 or even just an original cheap A7 and a cheap legacy 35 or 50mm.

Hope you hang in and get some motivation to continue with photography when time and money allow.

There are many people on this and other forums who do this and while I don't tend to buy and sell too often I can see the attraction of chopping and changing and using different kit. A change is as good as a rest etc.

Chris, I do wonder if all this gear swapping and expense could be a bit wearing and maybe a part of the lack of motivation... along with lack of time and money sat in gear not doing anything of course.

As an antidote to expensive unused kit I'd recommend a Panny GX80 and Olympus 17mm f1.8 :D or a 1" thingy like the Panny TZ100/TZ200 or even just an original cheap A7 and a cheap legacy 35 or 50mm.

Hope you hang in and get some motivation to continue with photography when time and money allow.

I think Chris case is interesting because he'll go from a 2k setup to 6k or whatever Fuji MF to 3/4k Sony and round again within a space of weeks, maybe it is just an idea to have a break till he can be bothered to take pics again, the cameras dont seem to be the issue here.

Ive done this and taken a fairly lengthy break and it did help. Tbh though, with the money you're losing @chrism_scotland just hold onto the gear, its not going to devalue less than you're selling it for now and if you keep buying or selling till you get motivated you're going to lose so much money.

Last edited:
Changing gear won't make your photo look better, however, the grass is always greener on the other fence :D

Whilst I think that's probably true when chopping and changing between roughly similar gear sadly I think to an extent it often does when the gear is less equal and definitely so in some instances.

Anyway...

More on my new old Minolta 24mm f2.8 :D

It has a macro setting and I was pretty sure that it was indeed focusing quite a bit closer to subjects than my other 24mm's so I checked it against my Zuiko and Rokkor 24mm f2.8's and just for fun also against a Rokkor 50mm and Voigtlander 35mm and the Minolta focussed much closer and got the subject much bigger in the frame. OK, macro isn't really my intended use for this lens but a close focus ability is nice for when going for that effect.

Hi all. Off to South of France for a week.

What gear should I bring in terms of lenses?

100-400 is a given as I'll be shooting some f1 cars.

I wanna do some video work too so was thinking of bringing few primes that cover the 25 to 85 or bring a 24-70 f2.8? Thing is my gimbal can't cater for that lens. Too heavy.

Primes I have are batis 25 85 zeiss Sony 55 and finally samyang 35.

Taking 2 camera bodies. A9 and a7r3

The rumor site reports a Sigma firmware update for an adapter and some lenses...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sigma-firmware-updates/#disqus_thread

They say...

"Sigma released new firmware updates for the MC-11 adapter and lenses:

Sigma MC-11 EF-E 2018/06/12 v.1.14

• It has become compatible with the SIGMA 105mm F1.4 DG HSM|Art for Canon.
  • It has become compatible with the SIGMA interchangeable lenses for Canon that have the latest firmware Ver.2.01.
Art lenses (e.g. 1.4/50) 2018/06/12 v2.01

• It has corrected the phenomenon that the continuous shooting speed of some SIGMA interchangeable lenses with firmware Ver.2.00 decreases in certain combinations with some cameras.
Here are the 2.01 updates for the following lenses:
18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM A013
24-35mm F2 DG HSM A015
24-70mm F2.8 DG OS HSM A017
35mm F1.4 DG HSM A012
50mm F1.4 DG HSM A014
85mm F1.4 DG HSM A016
135mm F1.8 DG HSM A017
100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM C017"

The rumor site reports a Sigma firmware update for an adapter and some lenses...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sigma-firmware-updates/#disqus_thread

They say...

"Sigma released new firmware updates for the MC-11 adapter and lenses:

Sigma MC-11 EF-E 2018/06/12 v.1.14

• It has become compatible with the SIGMA 105mm F1.4 DG HSM|Art for Canon.
  • It has become compatible with the SIGMA interchangeable lenses for Canon that have the latest firmware Ver.2.01.
Art lenses (e.g. 1.4/50) 2018/06/12 v2.01

• It has corrected the phenomenon that the continuous shooting speed of some SIGMA interchangeable lenses with firmware Ver.2.00 decreases in certain combinations with some cameras.
Here are the 2.01 updates for the following lenses:
18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM A013
24-35mm F2 DG HSM A015
24-70mm F2.8 DG OS HSM A017
35mm F1.4 DG HSM A012
50mm F1.4 DG HSM A014
85mm F1.4 DG HSM A016
135mm F1.8 DG HSM A017
100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM C017"

Does the lens updates apply to e mount ?

Does the lens updates apply to e mount ?

Dunno... If you follow the link to the lens firmware page next to each lens there's a "detail" you can click on which gives more... detail.

I've had a quick look and it seems to say slightly different things for each lens so if you have any of these lenses or are interesting in buying any I'd guess it's worth doing the update.

Obviously this is EF Mount only at the moment but it’s good to see how compact the new AF 85/1.4 is from Samyang.

IMG_1529329379.724844.jpg

Will be good to see if a future FE version is this compact (obviously with a spacer for the flange depth).

Obviously this is EF Mount only at the moment but it’s good to see how compact the new AF 85/1.4 is from Samyang.

View attachment 128851

Will be good to see if a future FE version is this compact (obviously with a spacer for the flange depth).

Samyang will get excited in producing this similar lens in FE mount :D

PS.

Not Sony related but as I'm here... There's a thread on this site and someones posted pictures of his "little man." I don't suppose I'm the only one who was intrigued but nervous when clicking the link.

Just seen that Sigmas other E mount glass (16mm etc) can be firmware updated via the camera. Hopefully this will be the case for the Native art lenses too

A little public ridicule never hurt anyone... Well OK it did but what does anyone buying into Canon's hobbled CSC expect.

And just to be clear :D

Just seen that Sigmas other E mount glass (16mm etc) can be firmware updated via the camera. Hopefully this will be the case for the Native art lenses too

Where did you see this?

Any word on the ART 35 replacement?

Where did you see this?

Any word on the ART 35 replacement?

On sigmas website the information about the other e mount lenses is done via the camera and an exe file.

Ive been testing all 3 lenses pretty extensively and the 85 actually does something similar when jumping between long range focus. Very very rarely. Ive a feeling it may may a property of these lenses or maybe something a firmware update may sort

I shot a wedding on saturday with the 35 50 and 85 and they didnt miss a single shot and I never once noticed the focus quirk. They were extremely impressive. I may not even bother to send it back

Shooting another wedding today and I will decide tonight what to do. UK Digital have one held for me and will post it once I send them tracking of the one I have

The downside is my lower back was pretty sore carting the gear about for 13 hours

Back