The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Hiya. How's it going all? What have I missed?

I haven't taken a picture outside of the house and garden for weeks, just too busy, and by the shortage of pictures in this thread it looks like a few others have been busy too. As this is a kit thread but everyone also likes pretty pictures peeps could always post pictures taken with new kit or just pretty pictures whenever they have time to take them and post them :D

I have bought some old lenses though for when I can eventually use them :D Nikon pre ai 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and f2 and a Miranda 24mm f2.8 in Canon FD fit, breechlock.

I'm looking for an l-plate/bracket for Sony a7iii so I can use it portrait mode too when doing panos. There don't seem to be many options at the moment and I have just seen your Smallrig.
Do you know if when fitted you can still open the flap and connect an intervalometer?

As an alternative to the smallrig (whose base was a little too chunky for my taste), the Gabale L plate (see EBay) has a slide adjustable vertical plate that allows clearance for cables when in portrait. I’m very impressed by it - well made, nicely dimensioned and finished and essentially a clone of the RRS bracket at a fraction of the price.

As an alternative to the smallrig (whose base was a little too chunky for my taste), the Gabale L plate (see EBay) has a slide adjustable vertical plate that allows clearance for cables when in portrait. I’m very impressed by it - well made, nicely dimensioned and finished and essentially a clone of the RRS bracket at a fraction of the price.

I've got the Gabale and Smallrig, the build and fit of the Gabale I find much nicer. I only got the Smallrig as well as it has a deeper base for grip, I just wish it was styled and built more like the Gabale.

I've got the Gabale and Smallrig, the build and fit of the Gabale I find much nicer. I only got the Smallrig as well as it has a deeper base for grip, I just wish it was styled and built more like the Gabale.

It’s well thought out (well probably RRS did the thinking). I find the depth increase about perfect for my average size hands, though I was content with the dangling pinky too so perhaps I’m not too demanding in these regards. I like that the width of the vertical plate is quite elegant in that its generous width allows access to the port covers and almost perfectly protects that end of the camera from damage. Also and completely irrelevant, I like the cold metallic feeling it adds to the camera

Last edited:

It’s well thought out (well probably RRS did the thinking). I find the depth increase about perfect for my average size hands, though I was content with the dangling pinky too so perhaps I’m not too demanding in these regards. I like that the width of the vertical plate is quite elegant in that its generous width allows access to the port covers and almost perfectly protects that end of the camera from damage. Also and completely irrelevant, I like the cold metallic feeling it adds to the camera

How do you find it with the battery door on the l bracket I am debating between these two at the moment, also how far does the bracket extend out, it’s important to me find a solution that allows me to mount it in portrait mode and use a cable release

Thanks

How do you find it with the battery door on the l bracket I am debating between these two at the moment, also how far does the bracket extend out, it’s important to me find a solution that allows me to mount it in portrait mode and use a cable release

Thanks

Battery door just fine. There is a little quick release on the battery door to allow for removal with a battery grip. Slide the little quick release and relocate to the L bracket. Takes 2 seconds. I was stressed about this aspect befire I bought it, but it works perfectly. Vertical bit extends out by up to about an inch from the camera. Personally, I’ll never move it and will just use the ball at 90 degrees if I need the remote and need a vertical orientation. I did try it though and it’s fine but I’d trust my approach to give me greater rigidity on those rare occasions as extending a QR plate out like that gives potential for vibration induced movement and I trust my expensive head and tripod to offer greater rigidity than an L bracket, but I’m a professional engineer so I’m probably overly conscious of things like this.

Battery door just fine. There is a little quick release on the battery door to allow for removal with a battery grip. Slide the little quick release and relocate to the L bracket. Takes 2 seconds. I was stressed about this aspect befire I bought it, but it works perfectly. Vertical bit extends out by up to about an inch from the camera. Personally, I’ll never move it and will just use the ball at 90 degrees if I need the remote and need a vertical orientation. I did try it though and it’s fine but I’d trust my approach to give me greater rigidity on those rare occasions as extending a QR plate out like that gives potential for vibration induced movement and I trust my expensive head and tripod to offer greater rigidity than an L bracket, but I’m a professional engineer so I’m probably overly conscious of things like this.

Thanks, how thick is the extension arm that comes out, that’s the appeal of the small rig as in the eBay photos it looks beefier, so reduces the chance of those vibrations, but then the gable comes in sexy red

Thanks, how thick is the extension arm that comes out, that’s the appeal of the small rig as in the eBay photos it looks beefier, so reduces the chance of those vibrations, but then the gable comes in sexy red

It’s well engineered and solid - 5mm plate - smallrig might be stronger still. You may also wish to look at the Sunwayfoto bracket as that’s entirely one piece. I bought mine in black - didn’t want any more bling on it - white lenses are bad enough lol. Smallrig makes the camera 10mm taller than the Gabale - I’d say that was the key difference here. The Gabale is a close, but not identical clone of the Really Right Stuff bracket. https://system.na1.netsuite.com/cor...313&c=3705077&h=5ca5bb5ab873006019f4&_xt=.pdf

I have it and it is probably my most used lens, I like the 35mm for a walkabout focal length and also have the wider end for landscape if needed. In addition it is nice and compact. I pair it with a 55mm or 85mm for a family day out kit

As to the bad, not really found any in a year of ownership
+1. I had it for a few years before I traded all in as I wanted to experience Leica once in my life. Firmly back in the A7 fold now I have scratched that itch and next to get on the list once the piggy bank full.

Thanks a lot guys! Seems like what I'm looking for, I'm not too keen on the depth of the Smallrig.
With the Gabale mounted on camera is there still a threaded hole to attach a Blackrapid strap?

Also, where is the allen key kept? Same as on the RRS or Smallrig?

Finally where did you get yours from? The one son eBay take forever for delivery.

Well I've given in and joined the gang. A7 iii, 85mm 1.8 and Samyang 35mm 2.8 arrived today, had a quick play and liking it. I had the original A7 but never keen on it, Sony have fixed alot of the issues I had with the original and it seems a much more solid camera. Currently debating which 50 to get, torn between the Sigma 50mm and the Sony 55mm

Well I've given in and joined the gang. A7 iii, 85mm 1.8 and Samyang 35mm 2.8 arrived today, had a quick play and liking it. I had the original A7 but never keen on it, Sony have fixed alot of the issues I had with the original and it seems a much more solid camera. Currently debating which 50 to get, torn between the Sigma 50mm and the Sony 55mm

Ive owned the 55 Zeiss and currently the native 50 Art

The Zeiss has faster AF, lightweight and AF for video is much better

The Art has that beautiful 50 1.4 look and is razor sharp but is huge in comparison. Focus and accuracy is bang on and I love the pop you get from 1.4 lenses

Cant really go wrong with either tbh

Ive owned the 55 Zeiss and currently the native 50 Art

The Zeiss has faster AF, lightweight and AF for video is much better

The Art has that beautiful 50 1.4 look and is razor sharp but is huge in comparison. Focus and accuracy is bang on and I love the pop you get from 1.4 lenses

Cant really go wrong with either tbh

Yeah leaning more towards the 55mm more for size, I had the Sigma 35mm art on a D750 and I loved that lens which is why I'm looking at the 50mm. Decisions, decisions.

Yeah leaning more towards the 55mm more for size, I had the Sigma 35mm art on a D750 and I loved that lens which is why I'm looking at the 50mm. Decisions, decisions.

I think it depends on what you are after the lens for. If you are looking for a lens to add as a compact travel option, then you can't go wrong with the 55mm, however if you don't really care about the extra weight and size, then you won't be disappointed by the Sigma. Personally I went with the 55mm due to size and weight, I also have the 35mm Art which although I love it, I find I rarely use it now. I prefer the more compact 15-35mm f4 for a walkabout lens. Thats just what suits my style and use, obviously yours may differ.

In short both are great, another thing to consider is that the 55mm seems to be lens that everyone will probably own at some point, meaning that if you keep your eye out for a second hand lightly used one, you probably won't lose much money if you decide that it isn't for you.

I'd go with 55mm any day. Zeiss rendering is lot better than ART 50. I especially dislike the ART 50's bokeh and not to mention it's huge for very little gain (or in some cases a loss).

I think it depends on what you are after the lens for. If you are looking for a lens to add as a compact travel option, then you can't go wrong with the 55mm, however if you don't really care about the extra weight and size, then you won't be disappointed by the Sigma. Personally I went with the 55mm due to size and weight, I also have the 35mm Art which although I love it, I find I rarely use it now. I prefer the more compact 15-35mm f4 for a walkabout lens. Thats just what suits my style and use, obviously yours may differ.

In short both are great, another thing to consider is that the 55mm seems to be lens that everyone will probably own at some point, meaning that if you keep your eye out for a second hand lightly used one, you probably won't lose much money if you decide that it isn't for you.

That's why I brought the 35mm 2.8 as small lens for when I'm out and about, just need a fast lens for low light. Alot of people do say the 55mm is seriously good.

I'd go with 55mm any day. Zeiss rendering is lot better than ART 50. I especially dislike the ART 50's bokeh and not to mention it's huge for very little gain (or in some cases a loss).

I'll have to do some digging around and look at some samples.

The Sigma Art 50 is probably the sharpest lens I’ve ever used but it does come at the cost of size, the Sigma 35mm is a little more manageable size wise!!

Can’t go wrong with the 55mm though, personally I’m not a fan but it sharp and has a huge following.

Thanks a lot guys! Seems like what I'm looking for, I'm not too keen on the depth of the Smallrig.
With the Gabale mounted on camera is there still a threaded hole to attach a Blackrapid strap?

Also, where is the allen key kept? Same as on the RRS or Smallrig?

Finally where did you get yours from? The one son eBay take forever for delivery.

I don’t know what thread Black rapid uses but there are 2x 3/8 threaded holes available - one on the base, and one on the vertical. There isn’t an Allen key slot that I can see, so in this respect it differs from the RRS version. However, it is tool-less in that the slide fixing screw has a coin slot. The main fixing screw is Allen only if that’s a factor, ie regularly needing to remove the L bracket entirely in the field.

I got mine from AliExpress. Took less than 2 weeks.

I spent a lot of time looking at both, I like to use a 50mm a lot even indoors so a 55mm makes that a little more difficult. The kicker for me was the onion bokeh on the 55mm, once seen cannot be unseen... If I do get more Sony gear I might still get the 55mm as well just for the size though.

Im near sure on my A9 I was able to switch the mech shutter on and off with a custom button (efcs off)

Anyway other than in the menu of doing this on the A7III ?

Im near sure on my A9 I was able to switch the mech shutter on and off with a custom button (efcs off)

Anyway other than in the menu of doing this on the A7III ?

On my A7RII I can toggle between silent shooting and mechanical with custom button. But there isn't a quick access for EFCS. I believe it was introduced in A9 so would be surprised if it's not on A7III

I don’t know what thread Black rapid uses but there are 2x 3/8 threaded holes available - one on the base, and one on the vertical. There isn’t an Allen key slot that I can see, so in this respect it differs from the RRS version. However, it is tool-less in that the slide fixing screw has a coin slot. The main fixing screw is Allen only if that’s a factor, ie regularly needing to remove the L bracket entirely in the field.

I got mine from AliExpress. Took less than 2 weeks.

Thanks again!
The Blackrapid screws into the plate mount hole of the camera, are the two extra holes the same size as the camera one?
No big deal with the allen key, i will keep it in the bag.

Last edited:
Yeah it was definitely on my A9
On my A7RII I can toggle between silent shooting and mechanical with custom button. But there isn't a quick access for EFCS. I believe it was introduced in A9 so would be surprised if it's not on A7III

Im surprised they havent added EFCS off when on faster shutter speeds as an option

As I've now have Sony, Canon and Fuji I have been thinking about what the future holds, which is the best, which do I like using the most, which I will actually use the most etc. Whilst having a good think about this, I check my email and I have two separate emails from MPB... One saying "Sell us your Canon gear" and the other "Sell us your Fuji gear"... It's a conspiracy!!! :D

I don't understand why heft and metal is synonymous to build quality in the lens world. Plastic can be every bit as durable and strong.

To me feels like a solid well made lens. Not to mention better sealed than Sony :p

I think it's a man thing and more specifically a man commenting on an area he knows little about thing, a bit like the guys on Top Gear declaring what's quality and what isn't by slamming doors and stroking the alcantara. It always makes me cringe.

Yes, "plastic" can be very tough. In the 70's I was fixing "plastic" industrial equipment and you could sit and hit it with a hammer all day long or run a truck over it with no effect and I'm sure that there are even better materials available today. Metal doesn't really give isolation from impact but other materials do, try hitting a metal product with delicate internals with a hammer and it'll be trash. Quality should be about selecting the right materials for the product and its use not a snap proclamation based on how heavy something is and harping back to when metal was used because there wasn't anything else but a lot of people and especially men like heavy metal toys, I tend to prefer precision and light controls.

As I've now have Sony, Canon and Fuji I have been thinking about what the future holds, which is the best, which do I like using the most, which I will actually use the most etc. Whilst having a good think about this, I check my email and I have two separate emails from MPB... One saying "Sell us your Canon gear" and the other "Sell us your Fuji gear"... It's a conspiracy!!! :D

A lot of people see APS-C as the sweet spot of quality / bulk and weight but personally I have issues I can't get over with Fuji's marketing bs and Xtrans. Lovely looking cameras but I'd choose a Sony A6xxx every time.

TBH the newer APS-C cameras would be fine for me if it wasn't for the fact that I like compact primes and with them an A7 isn't significantly bigger than a top end APS-C plus I like using old film era lenses.

A lot of people see APS-C as the sweet spot of quality / bulk and weight but personally I have issues I can't get over with Fuji's marketing bs and Xtrans. Lovely looking cameras but I'd choose a Sony A6xxx every time.

TBH the newer APS-C cameras would be fine for me if it wasn't for the fact that I like compact primes and with them an A7 isn't significantly bigger than a top end APS-C plus I like using old film era lenses.

Yeah, I'm considering using manual lenses for something more compact. I'm not a fan of the Sony APS-C cameras or lens line up tbh. No matter what I'll at least keep the old X-T1 with 35mm. If the X-T3 rumour of having a stacked sensor proves true it's going to be hard for me to ignore.

Some interesting points there ^^^. The 100-400 is an absolute wonder, I'll be shooting the Festival of Speed and RIAT back to back with in a few weeks, I don't think people have believed me before when I said it simply does not miss focus (mine on a a7RII) but it does require a slightly different mindset with framing as he mentioned.

76MM by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Thoughts... what’s the best quality small prime for the A9/A7RIII?

Looking for a day to day walk around so either 35/50mm.

Last edited:
Thoughts... what’s the best quality small prime for the A9/A7RIII?

Looking for a day to day walk around so either 35/50mm.

Hard to look past either the Sony 35mm f2.8 or the Samyang 35mm f2.8 - both basically the same size but the Samyang is a lot cheaper!

Back