The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Zeiss 55mm 1.8 is my walkabout. Tiny and sharper than pretty much anything, although a 35 is probably the safer bet as walkabout.

First wedding with the A7iii done. A few quirks and things to get used to but all in all a great experience. It was a 'secret' humanist ceremony in a forest clearing with no amplification so silent shutter was a gift. Although, when I forgot to turn it off the couple (both photographers) were totally freaked out by the silence during portraits.

I'm glad to see that two batteries were enough for a 13 hour day. My wife decided to shoot one D750 and one sony because she still hadn't gotten used to it, but had more or less ditched the D750 halfway through the day. Will be having a look at the IQ and focusing on Monday but from the back of camera, they seemed good. My biggest concern will be the clock. I tried to sync all our cameras but without the second readout, the Sony is a crapshoot (you have to sit there with your phone and time each to the minute).

I shot with a 25/85 Batis, 35art, 55 and my nikon T/S. All worked great but I was most impressed by the 25 Batis. It's a wee gem of a lens - light, quick and sharp. Didn't notice any errant focusing with any lenses and the 85 Sony that my wife was using gave beautiful flare at sunset.

There was nothing that really frustrated me too much. I'm a BB focuser and did find myself hitting the REC button on 5 or 6 occasions - but that's because the D750 BButton is so badly placed, my muscle memory is causing me to overstretch. I might sugru the AF-ON button to make it a little more prominent. Blackout was actually good in silent mode, reassuring me that I had fired off a shot when my ears were telling me otherwise. I was a bit frustrated by the base shutter option when shooting Auto-ISO. There's no option between 1/250 and 1/125 regardless of lens. I used to set my D750 to 1/200 with the 85 and 1/160 with the 35mm. That's yet another 'please fix it with firmware' thing to add to my email to Sony.

All in all, I'm far from my comfort zone just yet but it was as easy as any complete system change could be, really.

First wedding with the A7iii done. A few quirks and things to get used to but all in all a great experience. It was a 'secret' humanist ceremony in a forest clearing with no amplification so silent shutter was a gift. Although, when I forgot to turn it off the couple (both photographers) were totally freaked out by the silence during portraits.

I'm glad to see that two batteries were enough for a 13 hour day. My wife decided to shoot one D750 and one sony because she still hadn't gotten used to it, but had more or less ditched the D750 halfway through the day. Will be having a look at the IQ and focusing on Monday but from the back of camera, they seemed good. My biggest concern will be the clock. I tried to sync all our cameras but without the second readout, the Sony is a crapshoot (you have to sit there with your phone and time each to the minute).

I shot with a 25/85 Batis, 35art, 55 and my nikon T/S. All worked great but I was most impressed by the 25 Batis. It's a wee gem of a lens - light, quick and sharp. Didn't notice any errant focusing with any lenses and the 85 Sony that my wife was using gave beautiful flare at sunset.

There was nothing that really frustrated me too much. I'm a BB focuser and did find myself hitting the REC button on 5 or 6 occasions - but that's because the D750 BButton is so badly placed, my muscle memory is causing me to overstretch. I might sugru the AF-ON button to make it a little more prominent. Blackout was actually good in silent mode, reassuring me that I had fired off a shot when my ears were telling me otherwise. I was a bit frustrated by the base shutter option when shooting Auto-ISO. There's no option between 1/250 and 1/125 regardless of lens. I used to set my D750 to 1/200 with the 85 and 1/160 with the 35mm. That's yet another 'please fix it with firmware' thing to add to my email to Sony.

All in all, I'm far from my comfort zone just yet but it was as easy as any complete system change could be, really.

do you have the new FE 35mm ART? How is the AF performance in AF-C especially?

I was a bit frustrated by the base shutter option when shooting Auto-ISO. There's no option between 1/250 and 1/125 regardless of lens. I used to set my D750 to 1/200 with the 85 and 1/160 with the 35mm. That's yet another 'please fix it with firmware' thing to add to my email to Sony.

I use Aperture priority with auto ISO until the light level causes the shutter speed to drop too low and then I switch to Manual and dial in the aperture and shutter speed I want again with auto ISO.

Is manual mode with dialled in aperture and shutter speed an option to overcome the lack of a setting between 1/125 and 1/250?

I use Aperture priority with auto ISO until the light level causes the shutter speed to drop too low and then I switch to Manual and dial in the aperture and shutter speed I want again with auto ISO.

Is manual mode with dialled in aperture and shutter speed an option to overcome the lack of a setting between 1/125 and 1/250?

That's what I ended up doing. It wasn't ideal but I'll get used to it.

Nice surprise on my early morning run today. A7RII and the ever present 55mm 1.8.

41168946120_ddbf924b58_c.jpg

Ordered the Tamron 28-75 for video use! Anyone here got one yet ?

To jump on the small prime question, what would people recommend for an APSC body. I recently got an A6500 and I’d like a small but nice lens to try and make it into not far off of a pocked camera. I’ve ordered the 35 1.8 to try

Well I been that busy with a new career so not had chance come in here. Any new users?

To jump on the small prime question, what would people recommend for an APSC body. I recently got an A6500 and I’d like a small but nice lens to try and make it into not far off of a pocked camera. I’ve ordered the 35 1.8 to try

My main issue with sony APS-C is they don't have a lens like canon 22mm f2 for their mirrorless and my main issue with canon is they don't have a body like A6500 :D
You can never win lol

I'd suggest the overpriced Sony Zeiss 24mm or the 35mm you have ordered. The Sony 20mm f2.8 is pretty small but not as good.

One thing that puts me off the A6xxx system is the lack of a compact 24mm f1.8 but if that lens isn't too big for you it might be worth a look as it seems to get good reviews.

Hi guys, ive recently joined the Sony Alpha club and purchased an A6500.
So far i only have a cheapo 16-50mm kit lens to use with it.
Im going on a family vacation in mid july and was hoping to buy the 18-105 F4 G lens to take with me but it looks like funds might be a bit tight so close to the holiday so i was wondering if you guys might be able to recommend a nice prime lens to take instead that is a little bit cheaper.
It will mainly be used for capturing images of my children and family.

Hi guys, ive recently joined the Sony Alpha club and purchased an A6500.
So far i only have a cheapo 16-50mm kit lens to use with it.
Im going on a family vacation in mid july and was hoping to buy the 18-105 F4 G lens to take with me but it looks like funds might be a bit tight so close to the holiday so i was wondering if you guys might be able to recommend a nice prime lens to take instead that is a little bit cheaper.
It will mainly be used for capturing images of my children and family.

The Sony 50 f/1.8 and 35 f/1.8 are both decent lenses, also the Sigma 19 f/2.8, 30 f/2.8 and 60 f/2.8 are worth looking at.

The G-Master? No. I haven't made up my mind whether I should get the Sigma, G-Master or stick with the Canon 85/1.2 via MC-11. So got a 1.8 as a stop gap.

We've found the 85 1.8 perfect for weddings, Raymond. The size and lightness is the best thing about it. Probably the quickest focusing of all the lenses I've used too.

Last edited:
Stop it.

It's just a little bit longer and a bit fatter than the 55mm f1.8...

https://camerasize.com/compact/#487.639,487.395,ha,t

Only £550 after cashback :eek:

Or £499 postcash back from LCE. Makes it very tempting to replace my canon 85 1.8, but then i only have one Sony body and one canon body so couldn’t do the 35/85 split

Paid £425 with eBay discount ;)

That was a great deal, have you chanced it with the cash back offer from Sony as well?

The Sony 50 f/1.8 and 35 f/1.8 are both decent lenses, also the Sigma 19 f/2.8, 30 f/2.8 and 60 f/2.8 are worth looking at.
With the 50mm f/1.8, would you recommend the Aps-c version or the FE version? As they are both at a similar price and OSS isn't really a priority i was thinking of maybe getting the FE version as it will be of use should i go full frame in the future.

With the 50mm f/1.8, would you recommend the Aps-c version or the FE version? As they are both at a similar price and OSS isn't really a priority i was thinking of maybe getting the FE version as it will be of use should i go full frame in the future.

I've got the APS-C version on my A6000, and I am very pleased with it.

I've not tried the FE version, but reviews on Dyxum suggest the AF is not great with that lens

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/Sony-FE-50mm-F1.8_review1823.html

(It's always worth checking the reviews on Dyxum when looking to get a lens for Sony, there is obviously an element of owners bias, but it is generally a good pointer to strengths and weaknesses)

I've got the APS-C version on my A6000, and I am very pleased with it.

I've not tried the FE version, but reviews on Dyxum suggest the AF is not great with that lens

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/Sony-FE-50mm-F1.8_review1823.html

(It's always worth checking the reviews on Dyxum when looking to get a lens for Sony, there is obviously an element of owners bias, but it is generally a good pointer to strengths and weaknesses)
Ah yes i can see a lot are not happy with the auto focus. Guess I'll go with the APS-C version then.

Thanks for your help [emoji4]

Back