The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Im about to grab a dell xps 13inch 4 core model(for travelling and when i need more mobility) and possibly the 15inch version 6 core one as well for work for the same price as one macbook pro 15inch i7/i9 equivalent

This lens was the final nail in the coffin for me on dslr. Its rubbish for anything that moves at all. Wide open the performance was atrocious even when it did hit that magical 1 in 10 sharp images lol
That combo on my a7r3 and a9 performs like magic. I get keepers after keepers after keepers

The detail from A7iii and 24-105 G is astounding, this is about 1/4 of the frame.
Shooting RAW you hardly need touch anything.
They have definitely changed colours since my RX100V - very natural and a little closer to Canon, skin tones look lovely.

28519660537_f8551f026a_k.jpg

Last edited:
There's a bit of a survey and write up at Fstoppers about how people feel about the possible CSC offerings from Canon and Nikon...

https://fstoppers.com/originals/mir...l-about-future-canon-and-nikon-cameras-266229
Mmm, "Mirrorless Smackdown: How Photographers Feel About the Future of Canon and Nikon Cameras", So he did a little survey to see if people attracted to articles by a fan of mirrorless cameras will be attracted to survey about mirrorless cameras, and will use the results to indicate that all photographers think the same as him. Ok then. :rolleyes: For him it seems to be Sony, Canon, Nikon and... Oh, there is no one else apparently.

So this is a survey about how some people feel about the upcoming Canon and Nikon mirrorless cameras with little to no concrete information about what they will have to compete with Sony. But then then that is not as exciting as a "Smackdown". :rolleyes:

My not-so-bold prediction is that the nikon mirrorless camera will be pretty brilliant. As good or as near to good in most ways as the A7iii. But, it'll cost £3k from release. There will be bugger all lenses for the first two years and the official AF adapter will be around £3-400. So pretty much the bodies alone will cost as much as it did to change entirely to a Sony system. And Nikon being Nikon, they'll make a few stupid, irritating design decisions and there'll be at least one recall in the first year...

All conjecture of course, but this was my main reason for not holding off to see what Nikon would do.

Nikon may amaze us all with backwards compatibility to scalloped lenses.

And with software that makes all their lenses instantly autofocus.

I've got to trust my a7RII more, as with the Goodwood Members' Meeting I came away from the Festival of Speed a bit deflated about my photos (all 1900 of them), but a quick cull last night of a small section of them confirms that as last time, a) the keeper rate was through the roof, and b) loads of stuff I'm very happy with. I grabbed a few as I went...

Goodwood FoS 2018 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Recharged the batteries and off to RIAT next...

I've got to trust my a7RII more, as with the Goodwood Members' Meeting I came away from the Festival of Speed a bit deflated about my photos (all 1900 of them), but a quick cull last night of a small section of them confirms that as last time, a) the keeper rate was through the roof, and b) loads of stuff I'm very happy with. I grabbed a few as I went...

Recharged the batteries and off to RIAT next...

Great shots

Mmm, "Mirrorless Smackdown: How Photographers Feel About the Future of Canon and Nikon Cameras", So he did a little survey to see if people attracted to articles by a fan of mirrorless cameras will be attracted to survey about mirrorless cameras, and will use the results to indicate that all photographers think the same as him. Ok then. :rolleyes: For him it seems to be Sony, Canon, Nikon and... Oh, there is no one else apparently.

So this is a survey about how some people feel about the upcoming Canon and Nikon mirrorless cameras with little to no concrete information about what they will have to compete with Sony. But then then that is not as exciting as a "Smackdown". :rolleyes:

er no. That's not what he said and I doubt very much it's what he meant either but what we can always count on s someone on line to misunderstand, misrepresent and make sweeping generalisations. Well done :D

er no. That's not what he said and I doubt very much it's what he meant either but what we can always count on s someone on line to misunderstand, misrepresent and make sweeping generalisations. Well done :D
The title of his click bait is a 'sweeping generalisation'.

First, it was a bit exciting to see that only 11 percent of those who voted plan on sticking with DSLRs.
Showing his bias towards mirrorless cameras before the results. :rolleyes:

What's more likely (and what rumors seem to indicate)
So no facts then. :thinking:

I was also surprised that while the vast majority of people plan to invest in mirrorless in some fashion
The question for his survey was "Canon and Nikon Owners: Will you buy a mirrorless camera from your brand?"

His results were;
  1. Yes, without a doubt. (13.96 percent)
  2. Yes, but only if they keep the same lens mount. (28.05 percent)
  3. Maybe, depends on the feature set and price. (33.41 percent)
  4. No, I'm staying with DSLRs. (11.26 percent)
  5. No, I plan to switch brands. (13.32 percent)
Now because of the way he has asked the question, and the answer options he gave, he has read the results as only 11.26% sticking with DSLRs, but are the people who gave #3 as their answer switching to mirrorless or staying with DSLRs depending on the feature set and price? Who knows? He seems to be counting the people who answered #3 as buying mirrorless cameras, which may be the case, but if for example maybe they didn't, that would be 44.67% sticking with DSLRs, and for me 55.33% isn't a vast majority. With such an ambiguous question #3 the survey is flawed, and so the conclusions are open to interpretation.

3153 people replied to his survey, and while they may all be photographers are they 'all photographers' as the click bait title insinuates.
"Mirrorless Smackdown: How Photographers Feel...". I think not. If that part of the title is not a sweeping generalisation then I don't know what is. :rolleyes:

Maybe I have misunderstood, misrepresented and made sweeping generalisations, I don't think I have btw, ;) but I doubt we will agree on this article because you and the author have interpreted the results one way, and I another. :thinking: It was a flawed survey and the title is click bait imho.

For those that actually want to know numbers there's some on this page. The key finding for this discussion is that shipments from January to May this year totalled 2,849,193 SLRs against 1,678,336 mirrorless so the SLR design continues to dominate. Manufacturers of fixed lens cameras only shipped 3,481,961 units in the same period as smartphones and interchangeable lens cameras continue to eat into their market.

For those that actually want to know numbers there's some on this page. The key finding for this discussion is that shipments from January to May this year totalled 2,849,193 SLRs against 1,678,336 mirrorless so the SLR design continues to dominate. Manufacturers of fixed lens cameras only shipped 3,481,961 units in the same period as smartphones and interchangeable lens cameras continue to eat into their market.
The question isn't how many units of each. The question how much each has grown.

The question isn't how many units of each. The question how much each has grown.
You'll need to look back through the previous figures such as the numbers for January to April 2017. That showed 2,386,311 SLRs against 1,360,040 mirrorless which is 19% growth for SLRs against 23% for mirrorless BUT there's a one month discrepancy there so not like for like. If you want more accuracy you'll have to dig out the numbers for yourself.

That shows the trend, but the numbers tell you what is selling now. If you were to see internet articles and forums you would think that mirrorless is more popular and the DSLR is virtually dead, but the numbers tell a different story. People want to embrace the new and evangelise whilst the majority just use DSLRs and keep themselves to themselves. With the mirrorless cameras there is more going on, as the advancements come quick and fast compared to the DSLR format, hence this thread compared to any other DSLR thread. ;)

Don't get me wrong, mirrorless is the future, as it is the sector growing the most, or slowing down the least, ;) and the manufactures will obviously follow the money, or they go bust. But the DSLR is not quite the way of the Dodo yet. ;)

That shows the trend, but the numbers tell you what is selling now. If you were to see internet articles and forums you would think that mirrorless is more popular and the DSLR is virtually dead, but the numbers tell a different story. People want to embrace the new and evangelise whilst the majority just use DSLRs and keep themselves to themselves. With the mirrorless cameras there is more going on, as the advancements come quick and fast compared to the DSLR format, hence this thread compared to any other DSLR thread. ;)

Don't get me wrong, mirrorless is the future, as it is the sector growing the most, or slowing down the least, ;) and the manufactures will obviously follow the money, or they go bust. But the DSLR is not quite the way of the Dodo yet. ;)

Don't think I ever said DSLRs were dead. I'd say only the latest Sonys post-A9 is really replacements for DSLRs for pro-style shooting. That too only 3 rather new bodies vs. generations of great reliable DSLR+lenses.

But Nikon and canon seem to be making the move too now. so future seems to be headed towards FF mirrorless mostly!

Didn't get round to do any tests this weekend.... except one quick one. 1:1 screenshot. Click to view a little bigger.

Last edited:
Don't think I ever said DSLRs were dead. I'd say only the latest Sonys post-A9 is really replacements for DSLRs for pro-style shooting. That too only 3 rather new bodies vs. generations of great reliable DSLR+lenses.

But Nikon and canon seem to be making the move too now. so future seems to be headed towards FF mirrorless mostly!
I think I said if you look at internet websites and forums you would think that the DSLR was dead and that everyone was buying mirrorless cameras. That is not the case. ;) There is obviously a push by websites, bloggers and reviewers towards mirrorless as that has been were the growth and rapid innovation has been happening, so generating content to fill your webpages and so money. :rolleyes: A lot of that of that innovation has been to get as good as, but hopefully better than DSLRs in some areas, which they are just about doing, and have started to get the depth of first party lenses many have been craving.

The flawed survey that started this tangent made it sound like all photographers want mirrorless cameras, which depending on how you interpret his results, is or isn't the vast (of the small number of people who replied to his flawed survey) number of people wanting to change that as he made it sound.

Still, something to talk about, and no doubt the author of the survey has had many views. ;)

Didn't get round to do any tests this weekend.... except one quick one. 1:1 screenshot. Click to view a little bigger.

certainly less noticeable CA in sigma. I wonder how they compare centre-mid frame? (as suppose to corners)

certainly less noticeable CA in sigma. I wonder how they compare centre-mid frame? (as suppose to corners)

That pic is a crop into the centreish top 1/3rd of the frame (I moved the 1:1 crop to fill the frame). Sharpness difference is pretty big but I think thats also down to the CA / glow the Zeiss exhibits, contrast drops and fine detail is lost.

Maybe this is better, this is a 100% crop from the RAW in PS then output to jpg and uploaded. As you can see theres quite a big difference. In sharpness and CA.

Last edited:
Maybe this is better, this is a 100% crop from the RAW in PS then output to jpg and uploaded. As you can see theres quite a big difference. In sharpness and CA.

damn you, I was so sure about the zeiss 35mm/1.4 for all of one day!! :banghead:

My other half asked if the second shot of my posted samples was taken on my phone. Someone who has absolutely no idea but to judge the image for what it is.

I'll let you know if I have any AF lock ups, so far none, haven't seen f1.4 or Deci report any.

Not at all bothered about slightly better video AF when the manual focus ring is good and I have a 55 if I'm lazy.

Why's he got a filter on the sigma and not the sz?

Last edited:
Anyone watching the World Cup final and that rain?!

That’s what Sony needs to make to withstand those kind of weather at a minimum.

My other half asked if the second shot of my posted samples was taken on my phone. Someone who has absolutely no idea but to judge the image for what it is.

I'll let you know if I have any AF lock ups, so far none, haven't seen f1.4 or Deci report any.

Not at all bothered about slightly better video AF when the manual focus ring is good and I have a 55 if I'm lazy.

Well, the point is that your priorities are different, neither are perfect so you pick your poison.

Clearly JV has decided from his own testing that the Zeiss is the one for him, despite the massive price gap.

Well, the point is that your priorities are different, neither are perfect so you pick your poison.

Clearly JV has decided from his own testing that the Zeiss is the one for him, despite the massive price gap.

Of course, he's a video guy so that's pretty obvious.... It has the edge in video af and 4k isnt 24 or 42mp when you scrutinize.

Why's he got a filter on the sigma and not the sz?

Nothing to report for either of our Sigmas. Everything is fine.

Just seen Panamoz are doing the A9 for 2800... I love the A7III but that is so tempting.

Back