The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

New samyang 35mm/1.4 going for £449 @ebay from SRS. I believe someone here was looking at one?

Nothing to report for either of our Sigmas. Everything is fine.

Just seen Panamoz are doing the A9 for 2800... I love the A7III but that is so tempting.

Its an incredible camera. The silent mode is so much better and being able to shoot up to 1/32000 shutter in bright light with primes

If they added the video profiles we would never have got rid of it

My other half asked if the second shot of my posted samples was taken on my phone. Someone who has absolutely no idea but to judge the image for what it is.

I'll let you know if I have any AF lock ups, so far none, haven't seen f1.4 or Deci report any.

Not at all bothered about slightly better video AF when the manual focus ring is good and I have a 55 if I'm lazy.

Why's he got a filter on the sigma and not the sz?

Same with us. No issues other than the video AF not being as good as Id hoped but its still very usable for alot of situations!

Ended up buying the Tamron 28-75 for video and its amazing !!

Its an incredible camera. The silent mode is so much better and being able to shoot up to 1/32000 shutter in bright light with primes

Do you find 1/8000 limiting? Cant say I have even at f1.4 with this heatwave, if it does clip its easy to pull back in post.

Last edited:
Do you find 1/8000 limiting? Cant say I have even at f1.4 with this heatwave, if it does clip its easy to pull back in post.

At the last 5 weddings I have and have had to stop down lol

Still amazing none the less

Anyone here own the Sigma 70mm art macro??? About to pull the trigger maybe on one. Is it designed for dslr primarily ?

I have on odd occasion hit it but like you I simply put up with it and recover back whatever I can in post. It's so rare I wouldn't switch bodies just for this, nice to have though.

Anyone here own the Sigma 70mm art macro??? About to pull the trigger maybe on one. Is it designed for dslr primarily ?

It's a DSLR lens for sure but it'll work on mirrorless no problem as far as IQ is concerned.
But the FE90 isn't that much more expensive especially with the current cashback offer. Definitely a better lens. It's one of the best macro lens out there.

It's a DSLR lens for sure but it'll work on mirrorless no problem as far as IQ is concerned.
But the FE90 isn't that much more expensive especially with the current cashback offer. Definitely a better lens. It's one of the best macro lens out there.

I'd also just get the Sony, better macro FL.

£410 quid from e infinity. Uses focus by wire system, doesnt seem to have a bolted on bit?

£410 quid from e infinity. Uses focus by wire system, doesnt seem to have a bolted on bit?
Don't think FE90 is focus by wire. It has distance marking on the body of the lens. Doesn't extend out which is kinda nice too.

Not sure what you mean by 'bolted on bit'

Last edited:

Don't tell me that, Tony! Silent mode banding is the only thing really letting the A7 down.

The drive mode/AF dial on the top is also something I could do with. But is it worth £800 to me... probably not.

Don't tell me that, Tony! Silent mode banding is the only thing really letting the A7 down.

The drive mode/AF dial on the top is also something I could do with. But is it worth £800 to me... probably not.

I only use silent mode during the service really but when I had the A9 it was on silent mode 100% of the time. I think with the way you guys shoot, high volume etc it would be great. 100% worth 2800. I paid £4300 :exit:

Don't think FE90 is focus by wire. It has distance marking on the body of the lens. Doesn't extend out which is kinda nice too.

Not sure what you mean by 'bolted on bit'

No I meant the Sigma Art pal

The art lenses on e mount have abit extra on them, I dont think the 70mm has.. thats what I meant by bolted on bit

I have on odd occasion hit it but like you I simply put up with it and recover back whatever I can in post. It's so rare I wouldn't switch bodies just for this, nice to have though.

Even at f1.2 I have few problems but honestly sometimes what's shown as blown in the file just doesn't matter in the whole picture.

I only use silent mode during the service really but when I had the A9 it was on silent mode 100% of the time. I think with the way you guys shoot, high volume etc it would be great. 100% worth 2800. I paid £4300 :exit:

No question it's worth 2800. If I was buying one body, I'd go for it. But buying 4 (by panamoz prices) it would be £7400 v £11400. That's £4k extra for a dial and better silent shooting. 20fps is wasted on me and there's a slight dip in DR and low light ability, on paper at least.

No I meant the Sigma Art pal

The art lenses on e mount have abit extra on them, I dont think the 70mm has.. thats what I meant by bolted on bit
Ah it does have that bit :)
It also extends out when you go to 1:1 which I don't like.

If you don't need AF and 1:1 and are happy with 1:2 there is a voigtlander 65mm f2 in sales.

Last edited:
No question it's worth 2800. If I was buying one body, I'd go for it. But buying 4 (by panamoz prices) it would be £7400 v £11400. That's £4k extra for a dial and better silent shooting. 20fps is wasted on me and there's a slight dip in DR and low light ability, on paper at least.

Very true ! Im very happy with the A7III and at half the cost of what I paid for the A9, its a very similar camera

Thanks for that info dude. Promptly changing my mind here lol

Actually would love a light 85mm :thinking:

You should try the 85 Batis, mate...

Very true ! Im very happy with the A7III and at half the cost of what I paid for the A9, its a very similar camera

The interesting thing will be if the A9 (grey) is £2800, what will CaNikon do about their mirrorless prices. The Nikon one will be around that price, based on past pricing form. It would have to be an absolute beast to go up against the A9 and the leaked specs suggest it can't match it.

FE85/1.8 with give your ART a run for its size and money ;)

Ive owned the Sony 85, Batis 85 and Art 85 currently. Ive never had a 1.4 lens as sharp and accurate. It is insanely good and will be all I use for pro work

Might go for the Sony down to cost, might also be nice for video !! Not sure I could stretch to the batis atm as I have a new tripod to buy too

Samyang 24mm 2.8, has anyone got one of these yet? would be interested to hear any feed back on it. Looking at 24mm prime options, and liking the size of this...

Stop it.

I do fancy an A6xxx camera but I keep coming back to MFT and its smaller lenses suiting me better. I still fancy one though :D

PS.
I've just done a quick Google and I can't see an A6500 at anywhere near £500.

Last edited:
Almost bought the 6300 but the A7 with 28-70 for £450 was impossible to resist. Just need to figure out a use for it now.

Stop it.

I do fancy an A6xxx camera but I keep coming back to MFT and its smaller lenses suiting me better. I still fancy one though :D

PS.
I've just done a quick Google and I can't see an A6500 at anywhere near £500.

If you are prime member grab the A6500 from amazon warehouse for £800. then claim £300 cashback.
:D

Back