The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

There is no cashback on the mk2 RX100, it was priced at £200 and I got 50% off plus another tenner haha

I couldn't see cashback on it? I see it's even on the first gen RX100?

There is no cashback on the mk2 RX100, it was priced at £200 and I got 50% off plus another tenner haha

I couldn't see cashback on it? I see it's even on the first gen RX100?
Just looked this up, so original first gen rx100 is on the list but not MK2. Then MK3/4/5 are all on the list.
How odd....

Finished my Goodwood photos today, surprisingly the best motorsport keeper rate I've ever had, not sure if that's the a7RII or 100-400mm (or both) but really a faultless combo. Itching to get out and do more now...

http://www.chrisharrisonphotography.com/new-blog/2018/7/17/festival-of-speed-2018

A good amount of dust crept in during the day though (it was incredibly dusty at it was so dry), despite no lens change after 9.30am, I've struggled with that in the a7RII more than any camera I've had, mirrorless or not.

So I am not keen on the new LR subscription model and want to avoid buying into the subscription for as long as possible.
A7RIII is the last Sony body supported by LR6 which is nice because this is my latest upgrade.
But I realised I won't be getting any updates for new lenses also. This saddens me but adobe lens profiles can be downloaded and addes to LR6 for free - https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2388427

Tested it with the profile for tamron 28-75 FE and it works like a charm :banana:
So no need to upgrade :D

Just posting it here in case it helps someone who hates the subscription model with a passion like I do :p

:eek::eek::eek:

Haha.. appreciate you taking the time to comment, Peter. :) It's nothing like my usual photographic interests, but I tried a few flower snaps last week just for something different. To be honest, I was very happy how they turned out.
Just had a long look at '''Your Snaps', holy moly, simply beautiful quality work! Were they all captured with the Sony can I ask please?

Regards;
Pete

Finished my Goodwood photos today, surprisingly the best motorsport keeper rate I've ever had, not sure if that's the a7RII or 100-400mm (or both) but really a faultless combo. Itching to get out and do more now...

http://www.chrisharrisonphotography.com/new-blog/2018/7/17/festival-of-speed-2018

A good amount of dust crept in during the day though (it was incredibly dusty at it was so dry), despite no lens change after 9.30am, I've struggled with that in the a7RII more than any camera I've had, mirrorless or not.
wow some awesome stuff

Is anyone using a a7rii alongside a a7iii or have use both, and can give a good comparison etc of stuff like auto focus etc.

I have a a7iii and am looking at getting a second body, the 7rii seems to come in at pretty good value second hand at the moment, so was wondering if it is worth considering as something to compliment the 7iii and give a higher MP option etc. or is it just worth saving and getting a second 7iii,

Thanks

Is anyone using a a7rii alongside a a7iii or have use both, and can give a good comparison etc of stuff like auto focus etc.

I have a a7iii and am looking at getting a second body, the 7rii seems to come in at pretty good value second hand at the moment, so was wondering if it is worth considering as something to compliment the 7iii and give a higher MP option etc. or is it just worth saving and getting a second 7iii,

Thanks

Save and get another 7III. Its not even close to the standard of the 7III. Then your files will match etc. The R2 files are a fair bit different colour wise

Just had a long look at '''Your Snaps', holy moly, simply beautiful quality work! Were they all captured with the Sony can I ask please?

Regards;
Pete
Hey Peter. No, I think there are only one or two pictures (if any) on there that were taken with the Sony A7iii. They are mainly with my old Canon 7d and my Fuji X-T1 (sold last weekend). There are also half a dozen or so that were taken with a borrowed Canon 6d. I'm guilty of neglecting my wee website over the last year or so. I must update it with some more snaps... Including my recent flowery ones! Haha..

Last edited by a moderator:
Was reading this:

https://sonyalpha.blog/2018/07/10/sigma-35mm-f-1-4-dg-hsm-art/

Unfortunately, the not reliable AF in AF-S is a big hurdle and you will need to stick to AFC. I hope Sigma can fix it with a firmware update or better quality control with other samples of this lens
If you don’t have the money for the Sony Distagon FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss (1100-1500 euros) take a look at the very good Samyang 35mm F1.4 AF which has also a very good sharpness, fast AF (even if not as fast as Sigma and Sony) and reliable AF (better than Sigma)

Thanks

I recently sold my A7RII to a forum member and recently upgraded to A7RIII.
Unless you need the A7III AF performance in a second body I'd get the A7RII. The AF is fairly decent but not as good (perfectly useable mind you, Chris above posted some excellent action shots slowing what its AF can do). the sensor is simply awesome and you also get better EVF.

Though the biggest annoyance IMO will be maintaining two different set of batteries.

My FE35/1.4 up in sales again!

I really can't make up my mind on this lol :banghead:

I recently sold my A7RII to a forum member and recently upgraded to A7RIII.
Unless you need the A7III AF performance in a second body I'd get the A7RII. The AF is fairly decent but not as good (perfectly useable mind you, Chris above posted some excellent action shots slowing what its AF can do). the sensor is simply awesome and you also get better EVF.

Though the biggest annoyance IMO will be maintaining two different set of batteries.

The a7rii has a better evf than a7iii?

Thanks

Get another a7iii imo.

RIAT wasn't my finest day photographically. I forgot just how much shorter 400mm on a full frame camera is compared to my last two efforts (200-500mm on the D750, and 100-400mm on the X-T2), particularly as they had full displays this year due to the glorious weather, so planes were generally further away.

Good fun trying though, for the first time I left the standard AF settings behind and went with the Wide AF-C mode, amazing watching the little boxes track a plane effortlessly, it genuinely didn't miss a beat all day long. I've got to try an a7III at some point because I'm struggling to see where or how noticeable the AF improvements will be.

RIAT 2018 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

RIAT 2018 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

The a7rii has a better evf than a7iii?
Thought it did. Perhaps I was wrong, too hard to verify on my phone so I'll take your word for it :)

I'd still suggest A7RII for him unless he needs the extra AF performance.

Thought it did. Perhaps I was wrong, too hard to verify on my phone so I'll take your word for it :)

I'd still suggest A7RII for him unless he needs the extra AF performance.

Better battery life, much better af, faster FPS, colour, much better buffer, video, menu system, usbC, Bluetooth, 1 stop more DR at base, better grip.

So a few things different.

Better battery life, much better af, faster FPS, colour, much better buffer, video, menu system, usbC, Bluetooth, 1 stop more DR at base, better grip.

So a few things different.

not any discernible difference in DR. Already mentioned the battery. There is a noticeable difference in resolution.
Sure A7III has a few more benefits added inc. nicer ergonomics. But I wouldn't buy another of the same unless I really needed them professionally for example.

A7RII colour isn't bad. but may be annoying also since its different to MK3.

Last edited:
not any discernible difference in DR. Already mentioned the battery. There is a noticeable difference in resolution.
Sure A7III has a few more benefits added inc. nicer ergonomics. But I wouldn't buy another of the same unless I really needed them professionally for example.

1 stop is a lot in post.... So really the 1 reason to buy an a7rii is resolution Vs a number of very big improvements the a7iii has.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Not reeeaaaallllly Sony...

There's a Voigtlander Bessa R in the for sale section for £180 plus postage. That's a very nice RF for not a lot of money and they're just lovely to use. I had one with a Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 color Skopar, I always regretted selling it and I am tempted but I know that my days with film are done and gone... But that camera could be used with a lens/lenses that'll also fit on an A7 via an adapter :D

Last edited:
That didn’t last long, is it potentially a poor version, or are you just undecided on if you like the 35mm, seem to go through a lot of them.

if it was a poor version I'd have just sent it back (in fact I still can, I've had it just under a week). Its also under warranty from LCE.

Yeah undecided :thinking:

I got a pretty good price from LCE IMO, so I thought may be someone here might want to make use of the savings.

Thanks for all the reply’s plenty of interesting food for thought, Unfortunately the person who was buying my last canon body has pulled out etc, so it’s back on eBay with a £1 fees offer, hopefully I can squeeze some extra value out of it.

The sensible solution will be the 7iii, as trying to do more weddings etc, but at the same time I do a lot of landscapes etc so the extra resolution has some benefits as well, a well priced 2nd Rii shouldn’t hopefully lose any value so might be an option to get it have a play see how it goes then sell on for hopefully the same price /very little lose. Will just have to wait and see and hope the grey import price further drops on the a7iii not in a huge rush either.

Thanks for all the reply’s plenty of interesting food for thought, Unfortunately the person who was buying my last canon body has pulled out etc, so it’s back on eBay with a £1 fees offer, hopefully I can squeeze some extra value out of it.

The sensible solution will be the 7iii, as trying to do more weddings etc, but at the same time I do a lot of landscapes etc so the extra resolution has some benefits as well, a well priced 2nd Rii shouldn’t hopefully lose any value so might be an option to get it have a play see how it goes then sell on for hopefully the same price /very little lose. Will just have to wait and see and hope the grey import price further drops on the a7iii not in a huge rush either.

if its for professional use I'd stay clear of A7RII or anything before it. Get an A7III or A7RIII :)

if its for professional use I'd stay clear of A7RII or anything before it. Get an A7III or A7RIII :)
not quite full Pro use yet, aspirational and working o hopefully be. otherwise it would be a no brainer business expense as it would be fully paying for itself through work, rather than out of my pocket

Back