The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Thanks for all the reply’s plenty of interesting food for thought, Unfortunately the person who was buying my last canon body has pulled out etc, so it’s back on eBay with a £1 fees offer, hopefully I can squeeze some extra value out of it.

The sensible solution will be the 7iii, as trying to do more weddings etc, but at the same time I do a lot of landscapes etc so the extra resolution has some benefits as well, a well priced 2nd Rii shouldn’t hopefully lose any value so might be an option to get it have a play see how it goes then sell on for hopefully the same price /very little lose. Will just have to wait and see and hope the grey import price further drops on the a7iii not in a huge rush either.

I wouldn't dismiss the a7RII, it's a bit of a bargain now and it was only 5 minutes ago that it had game changing AF. I'll be holding onto mine for a good few years, served me really well during the winter wedding season (so lots of darkness) and has easily handled everything I've thrown at it, which has been a fair bit to say the least.

I wouldn't dismiss the a7RII, it's a bit of a bargain now and it was only 5 minutes ago that it had game changing AF. I'll be holding onto mine for a good few years, served me really well during the winter wedding season (so lots of darkness) and has easily handled everything I've thrown at it, which has been a fair bit to say the least.

Never had game changing af... Had alright af. The MK3s and a9 are game changers/DSLR challengers/beaters. It is a very good camera though.

That is lovely David :D

Just playing with the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 bokeh whilst waiting for Mrs WW.

Whole picture @f3.5, my car hiding behind some flowers...

DSC01159.jpg

100% crop...

DSC01159-1.jpg

I suppose change is good and keeps everything fresh.

Welcome... home :D

I think I'm going in the other direction and getting a bit bored with the hardware now. I've been thinking of getting rid of most of my kit and just keeping the bare minimum. Maybe just keeping half a dozen 50mm lenses and maybe just 10 or 12 35mm's, maybe just two 85's, two 28's and maybe just three 24mm's. And a few others.

I think that after you've got to grips with exposure and what the buttons all do just about everything else is opinion really (and maybe exposure is too) and if someone wants to blur or stop moving things who am/you I to judge.

:D

Fair comment and I was only making a joke because the other posters were asking about rotor blur but Jonney got the other end of the stick I think.

Fair comment and I was only making a joke because the other posters were asking about rotor blur but Jonney got the other end of the stick I think.

Or has he??? Maybe it's a case of whoosh in another direction...

PS.

I think that after you've got to grips with exposure and what the buttons all do just about everything else is opinion really (and maybe exposure is too) and if someone wants to blur or stop moving things who am/you to judge.

I really like blurring static subjects, makes everything look better and everyone feel drunk.

I really like blurring static subjects, makes everything look better and everyone feel drunk.

That's a style that makes some people look more attractive too and of course some of the most famous photographs are not exactly razor sharp across the frame. Take a look at some of these in this little article...

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2018/07/03/hcb-early-years/

"There are no rules. No generalizations." I'd extend that to most if not all aspects of photography.

The blur just gives an image more life and I'm not sure anything else in Jonney image would be adversely affected by a slower speed?

There's the blokes hanging from it, I wasn't there so I don't know what shutter speed would have frozen them but blurred the blades. Maybe Jonney will explain his choice or maybe there's no answer other than "that's the picture I (he) wanted" :D

Possibly but the swinging crew members would be blurred.

Yup.

If there I think I might have shot a series of shots stepping through the shutter speeds and picked the one that worked best. If there was time to do that.

That's a style that makes some people look more attractive too and of course some of the most famous photographs are not exactly razor sharp across the frame. Take a look at some of these in this little article...

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2018/07/03/hcb-early-years/

"There are no rules. No generalizations." I'd extend that to most if not all aspects of photography.

Can you see how he uses a slow shutter speed to indicate movement (moving subject) and make the image more interesting?

Last edited:
How would that change anything? It is a mighty fine camera though :p you should get it.

My point was (as I'm sure you know) that a picture doesn't necessarily have to be sharp, blurred, in focus, correctly exposed or anything else, and an extra point is that sometimes it maybe does :D Plus kit sometimes matters to get the effect you want and one thing HCB didn't have was fast responsive kit and if he'd had it he'd maybe have produced different pictures.

PS.
The picture that got me hooked on photography was one I took when I was 10 of my sister stroking a horse. The sun was behind them and they came out as pretty much just silhouettes and as the camera was fixed focus and they were pretty close they were a bit OOF too and I thought WoW a camera is not just for accurately capturing a picture of what's there, you can make a different picture too.

But I digress.

I like Jonney's shot.

Last edited:
My point was (as I'm sure you know) that a picture doesn't necessarily have to be sharp, blurred, in focus, correctly exposed or anything else, and an extra point is that sometimes it maybe does :D Plus kit sometimes matters to get the effect you want and one thing HCB didn't have was fast responsive kit and if he'd had it he'd maybe have produced different pictures.

PS.
The picture that got me hooked on photography was one I took when I was 10 of my sister stroking a horse. The sun was behind them and they came out as pretty much just silhouettes and as the camera was fixed focus and they were pretty close they were a bit OOF too and I thought WoW a camera is not just for accurately capturing a picture of what's there, you can make a different picture too.

But I digress.

I like Jonney's shot.

I like his shot, I just think if a slower shutter speed was considered it could've been much better. He could've gotten prop blur and frozen rope guys at 1/250 or even slower no problem.

Ever see this? The camera shutter speed synced with the helicopter's blades:

It's odd looking, as our brain expects to see movement/blurring of the blades [there is some movement, just slightly] Pretty cool.

I tend to agree that I'd prefer personally to see some blurred movement, but it's up to the shooter, it's still a cool image.

Last edited:
Back