The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

tbh i quite liked the samyang 35mm f1.4. its very good and reasonably priced.
It is and was on offer from SRS for £449 very briefly last week.
But I bought my previous Zeiss for £850 admittedly in better cosmetic condition than this one and it sold for over £1K on eBay.
Zeiss is easiest to sell of the lot for no loss IMO.

It is and was on offer from SRS for £449 very briefly last week.
But I bought my previous Zeiss for £850 admittedly in better cosmetic condition than this one and it sold for over £1K on eBay.
Zeiss is easiest to sell of the lot for no loss IMO.

Yeah agree, very rarely see the zeiss go cheap. Your price is attractive but putting my sensible hat on I don’t think I can justify the extra.

Yeah agree, very rarely see the zeiss go cheap. Your price is attractive but putting my sensible hat on I don’t think I can justify the extra.

its not really extra since you eventually you'll get your money back unlike a new samyang or sigma. That's why I haven't yet bought the sigma ART. Its a loss to buy it for me since I don't keep my lenses very long.
(Also with samyang you need to factor in cost of buying the dock for FW update)

Last edited:
its not really extra since you eventually you'll get your money back unlike a new samyang or sigma. That's why I haven't yet bought the sigma ART. Its a loss to buy it for me since I don't keep my lenses very long.
(Also with samyang you need to factor in cost of buying the dock for FW update)

Why don’t you keep them...?

Perhaps already known about, but I thought I'd mention it: This ebook on the A7RIII is actually pretty darned good. I'm not one for reading manuals/books on cameras usually as I like to think I'm a technically (if not artistically) savvy photographer and I'm an Electronics Systems Engineer by profession and a man (who needs manuals?). However, the Sony has so much capability that it's quite handy to have a little more in the way of use cases for some of the more obscure but clever features. I'm only part way through this (it's huge) but am impressed at the level of detail and reasonably light slightly humourous writing style.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Friedman-A...044&sr=8-1&keywords=friedman+archives+a7r+iii

Why don’t you keep them...?

change in priorities, use cases, subjects I shoot or I get bored and sometimes just for the hell of it (like I did with my previous version of FE35/1.4)

I am bit like @addicknchips in this regard expect I don't change systems as often as he does :D

Perhaps already known about, but I thought I'd mention it: This ebook on the A7RIII is actually pretty darned good. I'm not one for reading manuals/books on cameras usually as I like to think I'm a technically (if not artistically) savvy photographer and I'm an Electronics Systems Engineer by profession and a man (who needs manuals?). However, the Sony has so much capability that it's quite handy to have a little more in the way of use cases for some of the more obscure but clever features. I'm only part way through this (it's huge) but am impressed at the level of detail and reasonably light slightly humourous writing style.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Friedman-A...044&sr=8-1&keywords=friedman+archives+a7r+iii

He's been writing guides for Sony cameras since the early A Mount Sony's, I always recommend them.

You can get them direct as well

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/ebooks/index.htm#Sony_Books

I think I am.

I got mine for well under 900, you got both yours for less than 900 and I've seen them elsewhere for less than 900. Both times you looked you bought for under 900, how can you say both times you looked you never saw them for less than 900, that makes no sense!

I did see that, but liked the Amazon price better!

The direct sale has the advantage of a range of formats, in case you don't have a Kindle (I use the pdf version personally), but if Kindle is what you want to red it on, then I'd agree, the Amazon route is preferable.

Indeed it Is the picture I wanted. They where zip lining down the pit straight and I wanted to freeze the helicopter blades.

So I'm baffled at what's happening here lol
There's the blokes hanging from it, I wasn't there so I don't know what shutter speed would have frozen them but blurred the blades. Maybe Jonney will explain his choice or maybe there's no answer other than "that's the picture I (he) wanted" :D

Indeed it Is the picture I wanted. They where zip lining down the pit straight and I wanted to freeze the helicopter blades.

It looks weird when things that are supposed to moving aren't, like some of your f1 shots, the wheels aren't moving, so the car looks like its parked. Helicopter and plane rotors spin, the subject looks static and wrong otherwise, floating or falling.

True I guess.

If you check out the rest of my album.majority of the F1 car's show movement
It looks weird when things that are supposed to moving aren't, like some of your f1 shots, the wheels aren't moving, so the car looks like its parked. Helicopter and plane rotors spin, the subject looks static and wrong otherwise, floating or falling.

I don't understand? He asked why I shot at high speed.

The point was that many people shoot planes/helicopters with a slightly slower shutter speed (and pan with them if required) to introduce more action into the image. Shooting at such a fast shutter speed freezes everything and has less impact.

This photographers' work has loads of excellent examples showing movement;

https://www.instagram.com/lloydhphoto

It was just an observation really and no style is right or wrong obviously.

The point was that many people shoot planes/helicopters with a slightly slower shutter speed (and pan with them if required) to introduce more action into the image. Shooting at such a fast shutter speed freezes everything and has less impact.

This photographers' work has loads of excellent examples showing movement;

https://www.instagram.com/lloydhphoto

It was just an observation really and no style is right or wrong obviously.

been following this guy for a while. posts some cool stuff. think he was on this forum with the d500 at some point?

This is the internet. People you've never met who don't know your intentions and weren't there when the shot was taken obviously know better :D

The direct sale has the advantage of a range of formats, in case you don't have a Kindle (I use the pdf version personally), but if Kindle is what you want to red it on, then I'd agree, the Amazon route is preferable.

As long as I could read it on my ipad, I wasn't too bothered about the format to be honest. Kindle app is free, but the author may get a better revenue if going direct rather than Amazon, so there is that to consider if one is feeling benevolent to a struggling author vs a retail giant. I'm just too cheap to pay more :)

Sure Alan, because these things just magically float. :p

But blurred rotors could have meant blurred blokes... choices choices… and only a very short time to decide what to go for.

Next time you've at an event featuring a similar scene you can make your own choice. As I said, if it was me and I had the time I'd have possibly shot a series of shots stepping through shutter speeds and picked "the best" later. And there's always someone clever enough could maybe add a bit of blur to the rotors post capture but maybe not make blurry blokes sharp.

But blurred rotors could have meant blurred blokes... choices choices… and only a very short time to decide what to go for.

Next time you've at an event featuring a similar scene you can make your own choice. As I said, if it was me and I had the time I'd have possibly shot a series of shots stepping through shutter speeds and picked "the best" later. And there's always someone clever enough could maybe add a bit of blur to the rotors post capture but maybe not make blurry blokes sharp.

Nope, the shutter speed at around 1/200 wouldve been more than enough, they are dead straight not swinging around like a pendulum.

I agree, a series wouldve been a good choice, I never said it wasn't.

Using the crew on the lines as an example, they probably wouldn't have been blurred at 1/250th. It's not like it was suggested he shot with a long exposure.

Back