The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Plenty of pretty extensive tests of the new i9 15inch MacBook Pro, suffering from processed over heating and as such performance throttling, so much so that under certain circumstances the cheaper i7 version is out performing it.

It’s only under extreme load, but then is exactly why you would by the i9 version

I refuse to upgrade my 2016 MBP to the stupid touchbar ones. You can’t take away the MagSafe port, sd card slot, USB and leave me with 1000 £40 dongles instead. P*ss off, Apple.

Have a wedding tomorrow,

I have the GM zooms and 1.4 primes..

Thinking about going 16-35 GM and 50mm 1.4 za.

I'm wondering about 35mm 1.4 vs the 16-35..

Anyone tried something similar, I know 35 and 85 is popular.

Have a wedding tomorrow,

I have the GM zooms and 1.4 primes..

Thinking about going 16-35 GM and 50mm 1.4 za.

I'm wondering about 35mm 1.4 vs the 16-35..

Anyone tried something similar, I know 35 and 85 is popular.

35/85 all day long.

Wide angle comes out for :-

1 - a general room shot, like the chaos of the going ons in a room at bridal prep. To get the room of the reception in or ceremony. But I take that shot then put the 35mm back on.

You can use the 24mm range on the dance floor when the space is tight, that works.

Bought mine just before the touchbar ones came out. Figured it’d do me for the next 3-4yrs. Has AppleCare, should be fine!

I have hit a wall with mine, its 2010 model that i maxed out the RAM and put in a SSD. Core 2 Duo, which now won't let me install the latest LR, it gives an error by Adobe app, and without the latest LR i can't open my RAW files on the Sony A73….which means the laptop is kinda useless on the go…..

It forced my hand to upgrade really but 8 years is a pretty solid run for a laptop. So if the next one can do that, £2000 is expensive, but it will even out over those years.

I refuse to upgrade my 2016 MBP to the stupid touchbar ones. You can’t take away the MagSafe port, sd card slot, USB and leave me with 1000 £40 dongles instead. P*ss off, Apple.

To play devil's advocate, while I have an older MacBook Pro, I also have a small MacBook for travel. I really love that I can charge it off a battery pack and don't need to buy into apple chargers. I have one dongle (by Hootoo) and it covers everything (SD, HDMI, USB etc) should I need it.

Over the years I've always seen this happen loads. People went mental when they got rid of floppy disc drives. Then again when DVD drives disappeared. Headphone jacks etc etc... USB-C will soon be the norm.

USB C I have no issue with - it’s indeed the future, but not the current. Once everything starts switching over it’ll be a non issue. Removing the SD card slot, reducing port numbers and, for me, the biggest issue - magsafe, was the killer. And I hate the stupid butterfly keys, they’re terrible.

USB C I have no issue with - it’s indeed the future, but not the current. Once everything starts switching over it’ll be a non issue. Removing the SD card slot, reducing port numbers and, for me, the biggest issue - magsafe, was the killer. And I hate the stupid butterfly keys, they’re terrible.

I don't understand why they remove the SD card slot, it's not like you can transfer files from the camera into the computer over wifi whilst it keeps connection using wifi to go online?! Bluetooth transfer of 128G of files? don't make me laugh.

It's not the space issue either, it's not int he 15" and even other people are following suit. I was annoyed with Apple I looked at RAZER and they doo have removed their SD card slots in their laptops, even their big 15.6" model, that thing is twice as thick as the MBP.

I don't understand why they remove the SD card slot, it's not like you can transfer files from the camera into the computer over wifi whilst it keeps connection using wifi to go online?! Bluetooth transfer of 128G of files? don't make me laugh.

It's not the space issue either, it's not int he 15" and even other people are following suit. I was annoyed with Apple I looked at RAZER and they doo have removed their SD card slots in their laptops, even their big 15.6" model, that thing is twice as thick as the MBP.

I don’t understand it, either. I’d rather sacrifice 1mm of thickness for the sake of a useable laptop. Removing I/O and forcing users to purchase dongles just seems like a d*ck move. If you market your laptops to professionals, make it useable for them, no? I’m not sold on the trackpad taking up the entire surface where your palm would normally sit either - can anyone comment on how well palm rejection works?

Have you looked at Dell or Alienware?

I don’t understand it, either. I’d rather sacrifice 1mm of thickness for the sake of a useable laptop. Removing I/O and forcing users to purchase dongles just seems like a d*ck move. If you market your laptops to professionals, make it useable for them, no? I’m not sold on the trackpad taking up the entire surface where your palm would normally sit either - can anyone comment on how well palm rejection works?

Have you looked at Dell or Alienware?

As much as I am fine with a windows machine, I rather not go back to one. The SD card inconvenience would be replace with other inconvenience using a windows machine amongst my other Apple products, the whole little ecosystem i got going.

So i will be getting a MBP under silent protest….whilst bending over and giving Apple my money….grrrrrrrrrrrr

As much as I am fine with a windows machine, I rather not go back to one. The SD card inconvenience would be replace with other inconvenience using a windows machine amongst my other Apple products, the whole little ecosystem i got going.

So i will be getting a MBP under silent protest….whilst bending over and giving Apple my money….grrrrrrrrrrrr

mm, that’s fair enough. There’s literally no way I could go back to Windows. What do you use as your main editing machine?

mm, that’s fair enough. There’s literally no way I could go back to Windows. What do you use as your main editing machine?

I have a last gen (or the one before that, its late 2012 ) iMac which I maxed out when I ordered it, i7, 32G of RAM, Fusion drive etc.

I can edit on it just fine, everything runs, never crashes so no need to upgrade for the sake of it.

Back on topic? I think I want the bigger A7R2 files back!

Loving everything about the A9, but I really miss those huge files so much I am considering looking for a swap for an A7R3!

Your thoughts would be appreciated Guys!

Ouch. Epic hangover. hope this doesn’t affect my creative mojo today.

Thinking of going to Cambridge (I’ve never been). Any recommendations photo-wise?

Hmmmm! … Should I blow the kids' inheritance on a 1972 Triumph Stag and join this exciting vintage club :wideyed:

A7III with Sony 85mm f1.8 lens....

Vintage Club by CFC Photo, on Flickr

:D

Ouch. Epic hangover. hope this doesn’t affect my creative mojo today.

Thinking of going to Cambridge (I’ve never been). Any recommendations photo-wise?
Bit late now but unless you want seas of tourists in shot my advice would be avoid weekends if possible currently, the iconic areas to shoot (Kings college, Queens rd (the backs) views of colleges/punting, mathematical bridge from Silver Street, Time Eater clock on Kind Parade Benet St corner etc) will be swamped. Hope you enjoyed if you went though.

Plenty of pretty extensive tests of the new i9 15inch MacBook Pro, suffering from processed over heating and as such performance throttling, so much so that under certain circumstances the cheaper i7 version is out performing it.

It’s only under extreme load, but then is exactly why you would by the i9 version
You see.

I took my 28-70mm kit lens out today while we walked and picked wild raspberries. It's the first time I've used it outside of the house and garden.

Full picture at 70mm and f5.6 and then 100%. And no, these are not the wild raspberries.

1-DSC01206.jpg

1-DSC01206-1.jpg

It's lost a bit of sharpness in posting it here. On my screen it seems sharp enough anywhere you'd want to put a main subject and I've always thought this is a decent enough kit lens :D

One from a few days ago, A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f11 and ISO 1,000 for 1/1,000 as it was quite windy.

1-DSC01169.jpg

Doing the wedding at the weekend, and I've noticed before - but the dial to change the aperture on the Sony A9 isn't very quick to respond - which is a pain.

Tempted to start using the aperture ring on the lenses where possible.

Doing the wedding at the weekend, and I've noticed before - but the dial to change the aperture on the Sony A9 isn't very quick to respond - which is a pain.

yep the aperture ring is definitely faster

How quickly do you need to change aperture?

Before people who pose for an impromptu group shot lose their enthusiasm

There are also lots of other fleeting moments where you'd want to switch aperture ideally... but it was the group shot which annoyed me :D

Last edited:

I’d go with the ring on the lens all day long

Well what's odd is that when I try it now to replicate (albeit with a different lens) it IS responsive :D I wonder if there's a particular circumstance it happens....
Could it be that some lenses are slower to change than others?

Back