The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

New teaser for the Nikon Mirrorless is out folks :eek: :D GAS is bubbling.

Well what's odd is that when I try it now to replicate (albeit with a different lens) it IS responsive :D I wonder if there's a particular circumstance it happens....

I guess the only way to know is to try the same lens again and see if it's a physical issue with the blades slowing it or if it's just a software delay?

I guess the only way to know is to try the same lens again and see if it's a physical issue with the blades slowing it or if it's just a software delay?

Just tried it, there's a slight delay, if you take a photo - it does not become immediately responsive

I imagine in my impatience - I take a photo at the wrong aperture, quickly roll the dial 3-4 clicks and take another ... but it's still at f1.4 - because I'm working by feel and not by reading the numbers.

Anybody using any of the Sony teleconverters?
If so, are they any good?

I'm thinking of adding the 2x SEL20TC to my 70-200GM for the extra reach. Ideally I'd go for the 100-400 lens but it will only be for just the occasional use so I don't want to spend that much money.

Last edited:
Anybody using any of the Sony teleconverters?
If so, are they any good?

I'm thinking of adding the 2x SEL20TC to my 70-200GM for the extra reach. Ideally I'd go for the 100-400 lens but it will only be for just the occasional use so I don't want to spend that much money.
From what I have heard the 2.0x TC degrades IQ considerable, I ended up going for the 1.4x TC. [emoji4]

Last edited:
Joined the A7 club with a mark 1 [£899 plus £150 cashback with the I-think-it's-very-good-indeed 28-70 kit], enjoying the legacy glass. Canon FD 300/5.6 I've just picked up... boy, what a lens! Incredibly sharp even at 5.6, the crop ability of the A7 sensor is excellent. Already looking forward to picking up an A7III when version 6 comes out! 1/1000 and ISO on the back dial, the manual focus is smooth as butter and fast as a fox... Oh, and the little Samyang 35/2.8 makes the whole camera a genuine pocket affair. Full frame 35 and I actually take it everywhere... glad to be back!

Now, I have enough to be getting on with but thinking about a wide wide at some point. Usual suspects it seems are FD 20mm/2.8, OM 21mm, the Samyang 14mm FE [manual focus] or even the 24mm AF soon to be released [like the size, seems a natural companion to the 35]. Which wides are you guys rocking?

Last edited:
@danbroad try any of the Loxia's like the 21mm it's small / light / sharp and beautifully made and lovely to use. Only downside is they aren't cheap but definitely worth it

Joined the A7 club with a mark 1 [£899 plus £150 cashback with the I-think-it's-very-good-indeed 28-70 kit], enjoying the legacy glass. Canon FD 300/5.6 I've just picked up... boy, what a lens! Incredibly sharp even at 5.6, the crop ability of the A7 sensor is excellent. Already looking forward to picking up an A7III when version 6 comes out! 1/1000 and ISO on the back dial, the manual focus is smooth as butter and fast as a fox... Oh, and the little Samyang 35/2.8 makes the whole camera a genuine pocket affair. Full frame 35 and I actually take it everywhere... glad to be back!

Now, I have enough to be getting on with but thinking about a wide wide at some point. Usual suspects it seems are FD 20mm/2.8, OM 21mm, the Samyang 14mm FE [manual focus] or even the 24mm AF soon to be released [like the size, seems a natural companion to the 35]. Which wides are you guys rocking?

I have several old 24mm lenses but also 19 and 17mm f3.5's. I thought that these wider lenses might be weak in the corners and maybe need to be cropped but after using them I decided that they're good uncropped and a lot cheaper than a camera maker branded 20mm film era lens :D

Hi I tried this combination on an A7RII and it was virtually unusable so I sold it, however I have recently purchased a A7III and I to am curious to know if it is any better so I am in the process of purchasing another one used this time
having heard so many conflicting stories I decided it was the only way to find out the truth of the matter, I should be able to let you know how I get on in a week or so.
A bit late with this but the lens I had arranged to buy fell through so it took a while to get another one, this one is actually the sport version so I am not really sure if this will perform any differently, the first thing I did was update the firmware in the camera, the lens, the mc-11, and even the dock,
I have found the results to be excellent the AFC is very good indeed judging this against the 100-400 GM the sony is noticeably better but when adding the 1.4 converter the difference is not much at all and as I use these lens's for birding I use the converter the majority of the time the Sigma wins mainly because of the extra 2/3stop advantage at the long end, the extra 40mm won't hurt either, so the conclusion is that the Sigma suits my needs better, I expect some will tell me I'm wrong but I don't much care about that
Things I will miss about the Sony the light weight, the quiet operation, the close focus and the bragging rights.
Expect to see the Sony lens and the converter in the classified section soon.

Regards Bob

From what I have heard the 2.0x TC degrades IQ considerable, I ended up going for the 1.4x TC. [emoji4]

x1.4 does not really add up much to the 70-200 :(
I've just read of a few people happy using the 2x with the 100-400....should work fine on the 70-200 too I suppose? :rolleyes:

Bit of a change of direction with the Sony gear, I got fed up of working out crop conversions etc and lack of front wheel on the A6000, so that's gone and replaced with an original A7. Also just bought a 28mm F2 lens, so looking forward to it all coming and having a play. Next up Sony 85mm 1.8 FE.

Bit of a change of direction with the Sony gear, I got fed up of working out crop conversions etc and lack of front wheel on the A6000, so that's gone and replaced with an original A7. Also just bought a 28mm F2 lens, so looking forward to it all coming and having a play. Next up Sony 85mm 1.8 FE.

Don't expect fast AF like the d750 or a6000.

Any reason your package only offers digital delivery? (i.e. no option for albums etc?)
Are albums a thing of the past?
I don't think I am that old and out of touch! :D

It's because my business is as complete as that website :D wanted to get the core finished first before I started adding extras.

But to be fair I'm personally not that fussed about weddings albums..

It's because my business is as complete as that website :D wanted to get the core finished first before I started adding extras.

Wedding albums is the only reason I don't do weddings lol. I don't have the time and patience to prepare one and deliver it customised to someone's requirements. Seems like a lot of work and faff. If you can make it work with only digital I may join you :D

Wedding albums is the only reason I don't do weddings lol. I don't have the time and patience to prepare one and deliver it customised to someone's requirements. Seems like a lot of work and faff. If you can make it work with only digital I may join you :D

There will be a market for it i'm sure :)

I am in borderline Surrey, so it would be interesting to follow your business and see how you do in this area :)
Good luck and congrats on taking the plunge to change careers. Something I find scary and hard to do.

Thanks, I feel knackered right now - have to put it down to the weather not the wedding... else it might put me off for life :)

Well I've selected a few images for those not wanting to trawl through 700+
https://gallery.danielcook.com/maddyandnick/

Nick & Maddy by dancook1982, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks, I feel knackered right now - have to put it down to the weather not the wedding... else it might put me off for life :)

Great work,
did the Sony A9's perform ok, any issues? :)

Great work,
did the Sony A9's perform ok, any issues? :)

Only the delayed responsiveness of the aperture dial after taking a photo, doesn't work for about a whole second.. but otherwise worked fine

I'm just realising now i might have lost two batteries :( damnit

When we got married we desperately wanted a wedding album and got quite a fancy one (for the time), even getting smaller copies for the family. How many times have I, or family members looked at those albums? Once, maybe twice. For me it's been a total waste of money, I only ever look at the images digitally. I think albums are just one of those things we're 'trained' to think we want/need but in reality don't. I think if you can find a way of tactfully portraying this to customers you'll be golden with digital only format, well maybe 99% digital with a print or two of their favourite image.

Great stuff Dan, there are others in the albums that I really like too. I hear you use the term shutter drag a lot, is this just slow sync flash or something else?

Just FYI these images look a bit soft on TP (viewed on Safari on Mac) but I know they're not as I've seen the originals (y)

Only the delayed responsiveness of the aperture dial after taking a photo, doesn't work for about a whole second.. but otherwise worked fine
What's this?

When we got married we desperately wanted a wedding album and got quite a fancy one (for the time), even getting smaller copies for the family. How many times have I, or family members looked at those albums? Once, maybe twice. For me it's been a total waste of money, I only ever look at the images digitally. I think albums are just one of those things we're 'trained' to think we want/need but in reality don't. I think if you can find a way of tactfully portraying this to customers you'll be golden with digital only format, well maybe 99% digital with a print or two of their favourite image.

Great stuff Dan, there are others in the albums that I really like too. I hear you use the term shutter drag a lot, is this just slow sync flash or something else?

Just FYI these images look a bit soft on TP (viewed on Safari on Mac) but I know they're not as I've seen the originals (y)

I agree. We only shoot a handful of weddings each year but have never been asked for anything other than Digital’s.

What's this?

When I take a photo, if I INSTANTLY roll the aperture wheel (with the same finger mind so it has to travel there first) then the aperture doesn't change in the first 4-5 clicks.

Yes just slow shutter and rear curtain flash

You should get a real PC ;)

Returned my Sony Zeiss 35mm/1.4. I found a small scratch on the front element when I was taking pictures for the sale thread here.
Teaches me not to trust any shops when they say optics is perfect. :rolleyes:
Was bought from LCE Manchester.

Last edited:

Might wanna fix this, first! :p

derp.jpeg

Back