The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Recent purchase a few weeks ago - another Contax Zeiss lens, this time a Distagon 35mm f/2.8 MMJ. 35 is one of my favourite focal lengths and Clocktower in Brighton had one at a reasonable price.

Certainly it's better than some reports I'd read. It suffers perhaps in comparison with the C/Y Distagon 28mm f/2.8 MM, which is genuinely great, but my copy at least is a solid performer and gives little away to its wider sibling.

I now have a useful kit of fairly compact C/Y primes that cover most places between 28mm and 135mm, all with the same 52mm filter size. That will do me fine when I don't need anything faster, wider or longer, which is most of the time.

I think I've been making reasonably good use of the Distagon 35... here are a few examples

Shakedog
by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Lexicon

Parallel Lines

Frobisher Crescent

Great Arthur House

Last edited:
So....which is the BEST Sony camera for sports?

Answer - Sony A9, super fast sports pro camera. I had one. I missed the 42mp files so I sold the A9 and purchased the A7R3 (which I love, by the way!)

Today I received an email from Bennetts (motorcycle insurance brokers) - Dear Sir, Congratulations, you have been chosen to win the following for the British Superbike weekend in Cadwell Park,

- 2 x weekend general admission tickets that’ll get you access on 17th-19th August.

- An exhilarating safety car lap for you and your guest on Sunday 19th August.

- 2 x race day VIP hospitality passes including a grid walk

Ah well, I'm sure the A7R3 will still take pictures!

Has anyone used the Sigma 150-600 lens with the MC-11 adapter on the Sony - I plan on hiring one for the weekend if it is a good combination.

Thanks.
You don't need A9 for this. Even the A7RII would do fairly well since the action is reasonably predictable. If you are going to rent anyway you are better off renting Sony 100-400mm. Most reports suggest sigma is terrible at AF especially past 400mm with mc-11.

You don't need A9 for this. Even the A7RII would do fairly well since the action is reasonably predictable. If you are going to rent anyway you are better off renting Sony 100-400mm. Most reports suggest sigma is terrible at AF especially past 400mm with mc-11.

I ‘m not bothered about not having the A9, just sod’s law that I get a chance at action photography after selling it.
I will look at the sony lens option, is that with the la-ea3 adapter?

Last edited:

Answer - Sony A9, super fast sports pro camera. I had one. I missed the 42mp files so I sold the A9 and purchased the A7R3 (which I love, by the way!)

Today I received an email from Bennetts (motorcycle insurance brokers) - Dear Sir, Congratulations, you have been chosen to win the following for the British Superbike weekend in Cadwell Park,

- 2 x weekend general admission tickets that’ll get you access on 17th-19th August.

Has anyone used the Sigma 150-600 lens with the MC-11 adapter on the Sony - I plan on hiring one for the weekend if it is a good combination.

Thanks.

Hi David, I would be tempted to leave any long lens at home and just enjoy your prize rather than worry about 'on track' action.

I don't know if you have been to Cadwell before on a BSB weekend but it will be absolutely heaving! Cadwell has only one decent place to photograph from and that is the Mountain Section. You won't have any special access to the track to take photographs so your best pictures will be where you have got access - around the paddock and a standard lens will be fine for this.

200mm will cover the Mountain Section.

Enjoy your prize.

Hi David, I would be tempted to leave any long lens at home and just enjoy your prize rather than worry about 'on track' action.

I don't know if you have been to Cadwell before on a BSB weekend but it will be absolutely heaving! Cadwell has only one decent place to photograph from and that is the Mountain Section. You won't have any special access to the track to take photographs so your best pictures will be where you have got access - around the paddock and a standard lens will be fine for this.

200mm will cover the Mountain Section.

Enjoy your prize.

Thank you for the information, I haven’t been to Cadwell Park so will rethink lenses.

I ‘m not bothered about not having the A9, just sod’s law that I get a chance at action photography after selling it.
I will look at the sony lens option, is that with the la-ea3 adapter?
No as mentioned above it's a native lens.

There is also a smaller 70-300mm if you decide go for a smaller size one in the end. You'll do just fine with 300-400mm reach especially with the cropping power of A7RIII

Just for fun while waiting for Mrs WW, A7 and Voigtlander 35mm 100% crops at f1.4, 2 and 8 and then with a 50mm macro. Focus is on the little thingy indicated...

1-35-1-4-DSC01291.jpg

35-2-DSC01292.jpg

35-8-DSC01284.jpg

50-DSC01260.jpg

@woof woof have you ordered the Sony A7 III yet? :D ;)

I've thought about it but honestly there's no point and I'd just be buying stuff for the sake of buying a new toy, not that there's anything wrong with buying new toys but most of the time I use manual lenses and even when I use af I don't need fast focus plus to be honest I'm losing interest in the kit and could probably get by perfectly well with a kit lens, a fast prime and my macro for either my Sony A7 or my MFT cameras. Even a fast prime is ok for flower shots and the like once cropped. I do want to keep the A7 though for old film era lenses and for when I want the best picture quality I can get from a small form camera and lens.

If my A7 dies I'll probably get whatever is current at the time but for now it's perfectly fine :D

I've actually been thinking about buying a car, maybe an Aston Martin or a Jag or maybe a Range Rover as I've never had a 4x4. Any of those would eat into the new toy budget.

PS.
I've been thinking about this lot but I doubt I'll sell anything yet.

Minolta fit...

Min.jpg

Olympus fit...

Oly.jpg

Canon FD and Nikon fit...

Can.jpg

There's duplication and even triplication there which you guys wont understand :D but they do all have their own look at wider apertures.

Thanks.

You will be ok getting track shots on the Friday and Saturday but it will be heaving on the Sunday. Lot of places you be fine with 200mm, bottom of the mountain, the first part of Hall bends. But they are quite a few spots where longer are very handy, the run between Hall bends and the hairpin, Charlies in and out,
shooting the chicane after Mansfield from Coppice bank and the exit of Coppice itself.
Either way as been already said wouldn't bother taking pictures Sunday unless your hospitality passes will get you inside by the mountain section (probably wont but you can hope).

A7iii or A7Rii?

Moving to Sony, I can probably manage to go for either of the above. Mainly for family shots, portraits and travel. Which would you recommend?

A7iii or A7Rii?

Moving to Sony, I can probably manage to go for either of the above. Mainly for family shots, portraits and travel. Which would you recommend?

Another vote for the Sony A7 III.
I have one along side my Sony A9.
Pound for pound, the Sony A7 III is unbeatable compared to what’s out on the market.

A7iii or A7Rii?

iii

If the Rii is like the Riii it’s a little frustrating when reviewing etc too.

Just a daft shot of LED solar lights at ISO12800 and 0.5 seconds - handheld.
9:45pm about an hour after sunset locally.

lights.jpg

iii

If the Rii is like the Riii it’s a little frustrating when reviewing etc too.
RII was pretty slow but Riii supports UHSII cards with which it's fast with single shots and low bursts. Haven't tried fast bursts yet...

RII was pretty slow but Riii supports UHSII cards with which it's fast with single shots and low bursts. Haven't tried fast bursts yet...
It has decent buffer for fast burst mode. Slightly more than the Canon 5d4.

Once it fills it takes ages to clear

Back