The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

You could probably buy an A7riii and used it in FF and crop mode instead of walking around with 2 bodies and sets of lenses.

Well I could but I already have the A72 and A6300, I like the A6300 + crop lenses as an alternate small compact system, I don't take the crop lenses when I'm out with the A72 kit just pop the small A6300 body into the front compartment of my camera bag.
I used to have the A7R2 and cropped that in pp rather than in camera when using the 70-300 if required, you get about 18Mp in crop mode on the A7R2 or 3.

It IS just too big.

I tried it on the 5D4, on that it is not that bad, and kind of well balanced. On the A7 with that extra inch, it is the size of a 70-200 almost for an 85mm which for my 35/85 combo, it becomes cumbersome. Impossible certainly not, but definitely cumbersome.

It was why I got the 85/1.8 in the first place.

I am not sure the advantages of the Sigma is worth it's size.

It isn't and same applies for 50mm ART. In fact I rather use FE55 and FE85/1.8 than the huge unnecessary lumps of glass.

I am trying to find a side by side image of both lenses online but can't find one….

edit- nvm

6UwhLUD.jpg

Last edited:
It isn't and same applies for 50mm ART. In fact I rather use FE55 and FE85/1.8 than the huge unnecessary lumps of glass.

Ah says the person who's not even tried the combo. The 50art is definitely better than the 55, I'll agree about the 85 though, that art is massive....

Last edited:
Ah says the person who's not even tried the combo. The 50art is definitely better than the 55.
No it isn't.

I have had both lenses. Owned FE55 when it was released and had borrowed 50mm ART on a-mount. 50mm art is an unnecessarily huge chunk of glass with worst rendering of all the 50mm 1.4s I have used.

No it isn't.

I have had both lenses. Owned FE55 when it was released and had borrowed 50mm ART on a-mount. 50mm art is an unnecessarily huge chunk of glass with worst rendering of all the 50mm 1.4s I have used.

It is definitely better and renders better than the boring 55. Sharper, more MC and smoother.

It is definitely better and renders better than the boring 55. Sharper, more MC and smoother.

It's not better, it's simply huge. With that much glass if it's not shaper then what else would justify its existence lol :p

It's not better, it's simply huge. With that much glass if it's not shaper then what else would justify its existence lol :p

Exactly, it's better optically, like I said. Just like the 35 art destroys the Zeiss you thought was better. :p

What are you doing about 35 btw?

Last edited:
Exactly, it's better optically, like I said. Just like the 35 art destroys the Zeiss you thought was better. :p

What are you doing about 35 btw?
I wouldn't say destroys and it has it's benefits

Erm... I don't know yet. Thinking of buying that 100-400mm GM. I also had to pay for car insurance, road tax and MOT this month. Also need to book flight tickets got October holiday.
So I am bit streched right now.

I'm wondering how many people on here have 2 bodies for general walk about. Fact is I'm apparently useless at keeping the exposed sensor clean when I change lenses, even when I change at home I invariably finish up cleaning the sensor eventually.
Goodness knows what I'd be like in a dusty and breezy urban environment.
I'm considering buying an A7ii as a companion to my A7Riii and for instance having my little 35mm 2.8 on one and a 16-35 on the other for wider shots when in town for general shooting. My 2 main reasons for choosing the A7ii is IBIS and relative cheapness used.
Thanks for the replies, I shall be on the lookout for an A7ii :)

I wouldn't say destroys and it has it's benefits

Erm... I don't know yet. Thinking of buying that 100-400mm GM. I also had to pay for car insurance, road tax and MOT this month. Also need to book flight tickets got October holiday.
So I am bit streched right now.

Same here, the 100-400 is incredible, a friend bought it with the 1.4x TC, really impressed.

I think Nikon need to be at least on Par personally, but I don't think it will matter to the masses if it's not tbh. If it's half decent I'm sure it will sell well even if the internet shoots it down in flames ;)

I think Nikon need to be at least on Par personally, but I don't think it will matter to the masses if it's not tbh. If it's half decent I'm sure it will sell well even if the internet shoots it down in flames ;)

Yup, it will, its another FF mirrorless option (finally), especially for Nikon users who dont want to switch.

^
I saw that video after reading this:
https://www.35mmc.com/16/01/2017/sony-a7rii-review/
I'm going to have a lie down:D

What a strange article and guy :D

I disagree a bit with his closing comments about simple cameras. Taking pictures with my A7 and a manual lens is a very simple experience as I'm ignoring 99% of the cameras features :D Just because a camera has more than one button and a few pages of menus doesn't mean you have to spend all day fiddling with them :D

I disagree a bit with his closing comments about simple cameras. Taking pictures with my A7 and a manual lens is a very simple experience as I'm ignoring 99% of the cameras features :D Just because a camera has more than one button and a few pages of menus doesn't mean you have to spend all day fiddling with them :D

I love that I can assign loads of custom functions. Less menu, more speed.

I love that I can assign loads of custom functions. Less menu, more speed.

Yes, this is something that the online haters can't seem to see.

Yes the menus on modern cameras can be extensive and complicated but once you've waded through them and set the camera up how you want it there shouldn't be too much need to go back into the menus :D And some cameras allow multiple custom set ups which you can call up very easily :D

Or you can do as I do a lot of the time and just use the camera in aperture or manual modes with just the shutter button and the front and back dials. To get simpler I'd have to pick up my Kodak Instamatic.

Very true Alan,since acquiring my m100 I've taken the minilistic
approach and couldn't bhappier.actually I've got Twist to thank for sending me the Canon offer link,cheers

Last edited:
Very true Alan,since acquiring my m100 I've taken the minsmilistic approach and couldn't be happier.actually I've got Twist to thank for sending me the Canon offer link,cheers

I'm still gutted that you bought my G1.... and then sold it on!!!!!!!

That camera was very possibly the best handling camera I ever had and the IQ was gorgeous from ISO 100-400. I still look at pictures and files I got from that camera.

The G7 that replaced it was a massive disappointment.... Shutter shock galore and the grip was a funny shape and just didn't feel comfortable for me at all, every time I picked that camera up it annoyed the hell out of me. Great image quality though, sports car handling and speed and a lovely EVF.

Last edited:
Yes, this is something that the online haters can't seem to see.

Yes the menus on modern cameras can be extensive and complicated but once you've waded through them and set the camera up how you want it there shouldn't be too much need to go back into the menus :D And some cameras allow multiple custom set ups which you can call up very easily :D

Or you can do as I do a lot of the time and just use the camera in aperture or manual modes with just the shutter button and the front and back dials. To get simpler I'd have to pick up my Kodak Instamatic.
Or stick it in auto and forget it :ROFLMAO:

I would agree with him on one point - how quickly Sony tend to make their own recent models seem redundant. The A7 is only out a few years it seems, and even the A7II is deemed 'old' by many. Mention that you're thinking of buying one and no doubt the bigger spenders will try push an A7III on you. Sure the III is a remarkable camera, but does this mean the A7 original or mkII are suddenly useless? I don't think so, but it's such a fast moving system you will always feel that bit left behind. Meanwhile over with Nikon tonnes of 'old' D810 users are more than satisfied and never felt the need to bump to the 850, there doesn't seem to be that same kind of pressure.

I would agree with him on one point - how quickly Sony tend to make their own recent models seem redundant. The A7 is only out a few years it seems, and even the A7II is deemed 'old' by many. Mention that you're thinking of buying one and no doubt the bigger spenders will try push an A7III on you. Sure the III is a remarkable camera, but does this mean the A7 original or mkII are suddenly useless? I don't think so, but it's such a fast moving system you will always feel that bit left behind. Meanwhile over with Nikon tonnes of 'old' D810 users are more than satisfied and never felt the need to bump to the 850, there doesn't seem to be that same kind of pressure.

I disagree with the redundancy view, when the A7X comes out the previous ones don't stop working and who cares what other people think if you use an older camera?

Some people should maybe try to stop looking at the latest thing and deciding they simply have to have it and instead look at their own realistic real world requirements. What do the people complaining about new cameras want? Sony to only introduce new models like Canon do with pretty much zero innovation and the tiniest of changes every 5 years?

:D

I disagree with the redundancy view, when the A7X comes out the previous ones don't stop working and who cares what other people think if you use an older camera?

Some people should maybe try to stop looking at the latest thing and deciding they simply have to have it and instead look at their own realistic real world requirements. What do the people complaining about new cameras want? Sony to only introduce new models like Canon do with pretty much zero innovation and the tiniest of changes every 5 years?

:D

That's not how I see it, but it's how Sony treat their own older models. As soon as a new one is on the market they seem to shun the older ones. You'll have to ask those people I guess. I have never been one for the latest and greatest, I am pretty tight when it comes to spends on gear. I will always be a model or 2 behind and 'I' am fine with that, but I'm not talking about me personally. I actually am looking at the A7II, it's the lenses put me off, any of the ones I fancy are way too pricey. Though Samyang's new AF line intrigues me, as I know their optics are excellent

Last edited:
That's not how I see it, but it's how Sony treat their own older models. As soon as a new one is on the market they seem to shun the older ones. You'll have to ask those people I guess. I have never been one for the latest and greatest, I am pretty tight when it comes to spends on gear. I will always be a model or 2 behind and 'I' am fine with that, but I'm not talking about me personally. I actually am looking at the A7II, it's the lenses put me off, any of the ones I fancy are way too pricey. Though Samyang's new AF line intrigues me, as I know their optics are excellent

Dunno about Sony shunning the old models. They're possibly the only maker still selling older generation cameras, A7 and A6000 for example. Maybe putting them on the back burner is more apt :D with little chance of firmware updates but even so maybe the older stuff is very possibly still good enough for most people if they're honest about their needs. Just my opinion, YMMV, but I was happy with my 5D except for the bulk and weight and until I realised I could take pictures at ISO's into the thousand with a camera half the size :D

Sony don't shun old models! They are still selling the original a7 brand new...

Where can I buy a brand new Canon 5d3?

Dunno about Sony shunning the old models. They're possibly the only maker still selling older generation cameras, A7 and A6000 for example. Maybe putting them on the back burner is more apt :D with little chance of firmware updates but even so maybe the older stuff is very possibly still good enough for most people if they're honest about their needs. Just my opinion, YMMV, but I was happy with my 5D except for the bulk and weight and until I realised I could take pictures at ISO's into the thousand with a camera half the size :D

I know people who have the A7III and all I've seen them do is post family 'snaps' on FB, but hey, it's their money. I'd love the III but can't afford it, plain simple. The high ISO capabilities is the biggest attraction with Sony. I feel like I 'need' IBIS, and that's what I love about my G80, but ... if you have insanely good ISO performance you don't need that IBIS near as much. The A7II has both, though I'm sure the IBIS is nothing on Panasonic's, it would be good enough for stills, if only even a couple of stops. I've been eyeing Canon too, the 80D looks ideal for me, lack of 4K doesn't bother me - I don't plan on pretending to be Casey Nesitat anytime soon, I think even he shoots 1080p mostly! which is odd, as it's his mass following that run the comment section on every other camera review demanding 4K

Back