The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sony don't shun old models! They are still selling the original a7 brand new...

Where can I buy a brand new Canon 5d3?

Sony are? or the warehouses that are lumbered with tonnes of them? When was the last firmware for it?

5DIII?? at least use proper comparisons, that camera is a lot older than the A7

Last edited:
The A7 and A7II etc are still in production AFAIK, ditto the older A6xxx, maybe I'm wrong but I'm sure I read that somewhere. Dunno when the last firmware update was.

The A7 and A7II etc are still in production AFAIK, ditto the older A6xxx, maybe I'm wrong but I'm sure I read that somewhere. Dunno when the last firmware update was.
they are indeed still in production. Last firmware update was a while ago I think. Basically once newer gen is out, old gen stops getting any updates :(

BOOM just over a year ago

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce7-series/ilce-7m2

and you can buy it brand new still.

Benefits and improvements from the latest update
  • Improved operability of the camera:
    1. Improved operability when AF area is set to flexible spot
      See here for details.
    2. Added Live View Display into custom button assignation
    3. Added Set File Name function
  • Supports visible light LED in external flash for AF (HVL-F45RM)
  • Improved release time lag when wireless flash is used
  • Improved overall stability of the camera

It was a big update too unlike what canikon offers..

Sony are. You can buy those directly from Sony.

A72 and r2 got an update early last year I think it was. Fw 4.x

Fair enough. It most be more the 'fanboys' that shun the older models. I've seen comments and posts pretty much steering people away from the older models with the push to the MkIII. Have to say, don't see that on here, which is good.

BOOM just over a year ago

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce7-series/ilce-7m2

and you can buy it brand new still.

Benefits and improvements from the latest update
  • Improved operability of the camera:
    1. Improved operability when AF area is set to flexible spot
      See here for details.
    2. Added Live View Display into custom button assignation
    3. Added Set File Name function
  • Supports visible light LED in external flash for AF (HVL-F45RM)
  • Improved release time lag when wireless flash is used
  • Improved overall stability of the camera

It was a big update too unlike what canikon offers..

Um, that's the mkII, I meant the A7 original. So don't know what the "Boom" is about - 'Canikons' [such a fanboy word! :D ] maybe don't require as many updates?

Last edited:
Fair enough. It most be more the 'fanboys' that shun the older models. I've seen comments and posts pretty much steering people away from the older models with the push to the MkIII. Have to say, don't see that on here, which is good.
Yea the mk2 is a great camera. So is the r2 as well.

currently the original sony a7 is the cheapest ff body you can buy .

Anyway, I don't get hung up on all that, just going by what I see posted about from more gear-heads than photographers. The A7II looks like it could be ideal for me, will have to do more research but It's a possible.

Fair enough. It most be more the 'fanboys' that shun the older models. I've seen comments and posts pretty much steering people away from the older models with the push to the MkIII. Have to say, don't see that on here, which is good.QUOTE]
No your wrong there Keith Fanboys donuts shun the older models ,take Alan for example :p:D:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Well, the early cameras don't have the AF performance, bells and whistles and there are those who prefer the grip and handling of the later cameras too and then there's the colour issue that some here have a problem with, personally I don't.

I think that even a MK1 A7 series camera can make sense if you go into them knowing the abilities and limitations and judge for yourself :D Especially if all you want is a small form factor camera for taking pictures which don't exactly require sports car like responses.

Last edited:
Well, the early cameras don't have the AF performance, bells and whistles and there are those who prefer the grip and handling of the later cameras too and then there's the colour issue that some here have a problem with, personally I don't.

I think that even a MK1 A7 series camera can make sense if you go into them knowing the abilities and limitations and judge for yourself :D Especially if all you want is a small form factor camera for taking pictures which don't exactly require sports car like responses.

Not really heard the colour issue thing, I ignore a lot of that though as I only ever shoot RAW and tinker with colours to suit myself no matter the camera.

I think part of the problem with older models is, once you have tasted some of the benefits of newer tech, like good touch screen, IBIS, flippy-floppy screens, immersive evf with wysiwyg imagery and 4K video, it's hard to then switch back to older menu systems, no touch screen, static screens etc ... But end results should still matter most. Well, ergonomics too, I think you need to enjoy the feel of the gear to make you want to use it more. One reason I'd look more to the mkII is the better grip, then it's also got IBIS

Last edited:
I would agree with him on one point - how quickly Sony tend to make their own recent models seem redundant. The A7 is only out a few years it seems, and even the A7II is deemed 'old' by many. Mention that you're thinking of buying one and no doubt the bigger spenders will try push an A7III on you. Sure the III is a remarkable camera, but does this mean the A7 original or mkII are suddenly useless? I don't think so, but it's such a fast moving system you will always feel that bit left behind. Meanwhile over with Nikon tonnes of 'old' D810 users are more than satisfied and never felt the need to bump to the 850, there doesn't seem to be that same kind of pressure.

Nope, Sony isnt making their previous models redundant fast, they are still offering them as new cameras to buy so theres even more choice.

Ive typed this before.... the A7, A7s and A7r are VERY different cameras, just because there releases overlap sometimes doesn't mean they are making other cameras redundant, thats like saying all of Canikons cameras make each other redundant.

A7 Oct 2013, A7ii, Nov 2014, A7iii Mar 2018.

D800 Mar 2012, D810 Jul 2014, Jul 2017.

How are they treating their older models? The same way as every other manufacturer trying to push new gear.

Last edited:
Nope, Sony isnt making their previous models redundant fast, they are still offering them as new cameras to buy so theres even more choice.

Ive typed this before.... the A7, A7s and A7r are VERY different cameras, just because there releases overlap sometimes doesn't mean they are making other cameras redundant, thats like saying all of Canikons cameras make each other redundant.

A7 Oct 2013, A7ii, Nov 2014, A7iii Mar 2018.

D800 Mar 2012, D810 Jul 2014, Jul 2017.

How are they treating their older models? The same way as every other manufacturer trying to push new gear.

I never mentioned the alt versions, s/r - just the straight 7 line. We've also pretty much established it's not so much Sony, but their fans that quickly shun the old and push the new. I rarely ever see Nikon D800 users, the original old-at-this-stage D800, being urged to bump to the 810 let alone 850. It's just a different crowd I guess. I used the D800E for years, right up through the 810 era, never felt compelled to upgrade.

I never mentioned the alt versions, s/r - just the straight 7 line. We've also pretty much established it's not so much Sony, but their fans that quickly shun the old and push the new. I rarely ever see Nikon D800 users, the original old-at-this-stage D800, being urged to bump to the 810 let alone 850. It's just a different crowd I guess. I used the D800E for years, right up through the 810 era, never felt compelled to upgrade.

Theres not much difference between the D800 and D810, there is a massive difference between the Mk2 and Mk3 Sony though, its a big improvement in every way so people are excited about the new model, it offers a lot over the Mk2 and just about everything else on the market at the price point.

Theres not much difference between the D800 and D810, there is a massive difference between the Mk2 and Mk3 Sony though, its a big improvement in every way so people are excited about the new model.

I need to do more research on Sony models tbh, but I don't think there was a whole heap between the 7 and mkII?

I need to do more research on Sony models tbh, but I don't think there was a whole heap between the 7 and mkII?

IBIS and phase adapted lenses, I never went for the mk2 because it didn't offer much more, same sensor, same body, similar AF, same battery etc etc. I guess its a similar thing to the D800/810 but that probs offered a bigger leap in AF.

collectors item photo from me as its on the a7r and samyang 35mm f2.8

36mp in the palm of my hand. so, so wanted to love this set-up. lovely image quality. but a mixture of poor focus, hell raising shutter noise and a lack of anything to hold onto really made the a7r2 - while not perfect -a significant upgrade.

Untitled by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

collectors item photo from me as its on the a7r and samyang 35mm f2.8

36mp in the palm of my hand. so, so wanted to love this set-up. lovely image quality. but a mixture of poor focus, hell raising shutter noise and a lack of anything to hold onto really made the a7r2 - while not perfect -a significant upgrade.

Untitled by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

Tell you what I'll print out a nice Fuji badge for you to stick it on your bodies so you can enjoy them :p

I would agree with him on one point - how quickly Sony tend to make their own recent models seem redundant. The A7 is only out a few years it seems, and even the A7II is deemed 'old' by many. Mention that you're thinking of buying one and no doubt the bigger spenders will try push an A7III on you. Sure the III is a remarkable camera, but does this mean the A7 original or mkII are suddenly useless? I don't think so, but it's such a fast moving system you will always feel that bit left behind. Meanwhile over with Nikon tonnes of 'old' D810 users are more than satisfied and never felt the need to bump to the 850, there doesn't seem to be that same kind of pressure.
I think maybe with the A7 series they were playing catch up with DSLR which is why when they've finally caught up the older models seem far more old hat than they should be, ie they're not only behind the latest and greatest but were also behind (in some regards) with the market at the time. I would expect that the A7iii will not become 'long in the tooth' anywhere near as quickly as the A7 and A7ii. Yes there will be a mark iv and mark v at some point, but I don't think there'll be the same rush to 'dismiss' the A7iii as old hat.

We had bramble jam on toast this morning and have just had bramble juice with our snack. Our bramble pies are in the freezer :D

Do it. Just do it

Oh I want one but MFT makes more sense when looking at the lenses. For MFT I have 17, 25 and 45mm f1.8, 9-18mm, 14-42mm, 45-150mm and 12-35mm f2.8. Kit and wide zooms for an A6xxx will be a lot bigger and heavier and more expensive, there's no f2.8 zoom and the 35mm equiv 24mm f1.8 is rather large and expensive. Plus the RF style MFT cameras have front and rear dials for aperture and shutter whereas the A6xxx handling isn't quite as good. IMVHO.

I do want one but I know I'm just being greedy :D

yeah but that'll seriously eat into his Aston Martin funds..
I haven't had the time to even start looking yet but if and when I think it's much more likely to be an F Type or a Range Rover Vogue.

Last edited:
...I have never been one for the latest and greatest, I am pretty tight when it comes to spends on gear. I will always be a model or 2 behind and 'I' am fine with that, but I'm not talking about me personally. I actually am looking at the A7II, it's the lenses put me off, any of the ones I fancy are way too pricey. Though Samyang's new AF line intrigues me, as I know their optics are excellent

Which lenses do you fancy?

Popped out with the 85 today for all of 10 minutes. This thing is so sharp.

Moana by Tim G, on Flickr

Nice photo.

I have an FE85 F1.8 ordered which is due for delivery today :)

Not a lens length that I would normally use but I am trying to stick to primes only having sold both my zooms recently and hopefully I will soon be using the 85 to its full potential.

Last edited:
Nice photo.

I have an FE85 F1.8 ordered which is due for delivery today :)

Not a lens length that I would normally use but I am trying to stick to primes only having sold both my zooms recently and hopefully I will soon be using the 85 to its full potential.

You'll love it, I live at 35 or 85. I just need a better body to take advantage of it :)

Back