The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

That's an idea :D but a nice compact 35mm f1.8 is imo a better idea :D

The no charger thing is weird, bit like Olympus not giving hoods with [most of] their lenses. It's a cheap lump of plastic!

I only got one of those usb plug charger thingies with my last 2 Panasonic mft cameras and maybe with the TZ100 too. It seems to be the way these days. I always buy a charger.

I only got one of those usb plug charger thingies with my last 2 Panasonic mft cameras and maybe with the TZ100 too. It seems to be the way these days. I always buy a charger.

I've never bought a camera that didn't have a separate charger, got a proper one with the G80 which was just 7mths back, they kind of have to put them in with that though as it doesn't do usb charging.

I watched this and came away thinking…..if only that Nikon has Eye-AF……and makes me realise my decision to wait for the Sony E-Mount to be the right thing to do.

I watched this and came away thinking…..if only that Nikon has Eye-AF……and makes me realise my decision to wait for the Sony E-Mount to be the right thing to do.

I'd still pick nikon over sigma if I was a nikon shooter. That sigma is another huge lump of glass that's unnecessarily big. For the same reason I'd pick the 85GM or FE50/55 zeiss over sigma 85 ART or 50 ART. Apart from the 35mm ART the rest of them seem are simply huge. Sure they have marginal gain in sharpness but that comes with disproportionate increase in bulk.

How are you finding the 85GM btw?

Interesting difference in the FoV, I wonder what the actual focal lengths are.

Now one of these have to go…

hOc43OV.jpg

The smallest and lightest would probably win for me but with this sort of lens it's as much about the look so which do you prefer look wise Ray?

And for those of us who don't own any of them which performs best AF and IQ wise?

Only took like 3 photos with the GM to make sure that it works.

Focus seems fine, not tested for sharpness but I presume it to be good. Colours on the EVF/LCD certainly looks warmer than the 1.8.

As for looks....it seems the 1.2 isn't that much larger next to the 1.8 for much bigger reward in aperture but more than double the weight, in fact it's the heaviest of the 3.

Only took like 3 photos with the GM to make sure that it works.

Focus seems fine, not tested for sharpness but I presume it to be good. Colours on the EVF/LCD certainly looks warmer than the 1.8.

As for looks....it seems the 1.2 isn't that much larger next to the 1.8 for much bigger reward in aperture but more than double the weight, in fact it's the heaviest of the 3.
1.2L is about same size as GM on Sony if you add the adapter.
Focus is good just not 1.8 fast

F1.2L is definitely the hardest to use. I know a few people who refused to use it for work. The slow focussing coupled with shallow DoF and possibility of DSLR calibration misfocus made it rather hard to get keepers.

lose the gm. keep the 1.8 which is bar far the quickest to focus of all three. then use the 1.2 when you want that little bit of magic.

The 1.2 is harder but not impossible. However, it is without doubt on a technical level the worst performance AF lens of any 85 lens out there.

Focus is slow (but accurate).

CA is bad.

Sharpness is worst of all the 85mm I’ve tried, including the Canon 85/1.8, I can’t imagine the new Cano 85/1.4L being bad. So if you pixel peep, you will hate it.

However it is a 1.2 lens, an auto focus one at that and I shoot it at 1.2 a lot, in fact focus for me isn’t a problem, I have taken some of my favourite images with it, at 1.2. That’s what you are paying for, that 1.2.

The Sony 85GM and the new Canon 85/1.4L are much modern lens designs and strikes that balance of AF with bokeh much better. The Sony has 11 blades which should help with the bokeh quality for being a 1.4 (not 1.2).

The smallest and lightest would probably win for me but with this sort of lens it's as much about the look so which do you prefer look wise Ray?

And for those of us who don't own any of them which performs best AF and IQ wise?

AF - FE85 > 85GM > 85L

IQ is bit of a hard one to rank since different people prefer different things. As you see above Ray absolutely loves his 85L while F/1.4 doesn't seem to like it much. May its a marmite thing lol.
FE85 is sharp from wide open and bokeh is half-decent. 85GM is also very sharp from wide open has one of the best rendering+bokeh. 85L is the softest of the lot but has shallower DoF and the dreamy rendering thing going for it.

The comment sections under articles like that are nothing but cringe inducing. How does one become a 'fanboy'? It baffles me. A lot of it is pure case of "I bought into this, therefore it is the best!" - Most popular rarely means best, or the likes of Justin Bieber would be a musical legend.

I thought console wars were childish over the years but 'photographers and vloggers take the cake these days.

Last edited:
The comment sections under articles like that are nothing but cringe inducing. How does one become a 'fanboy'? It baffles me. A lot of it is pure case of "I bought into this, therefore it is the best!" - Most popular rarely means best, or the likes of Justin Bieber would be a musical legend.

I thought console wars were childish over the years but 'photographers and vloggers take the cake these days.

Yeah things get a personal for some reason especially so on dpreview.

I can understand having a bias towards whatever you shoot since you naturally know more about it. But things like 'Nikon will overtake Sony' soon or 'Sony have killed Nikon and canon' is simply meaningless. If it was so easy to predict the future why would anyone go under :p

Yeah things get a personal for some reason especially so on dpreview.

I can understand having a bias towards whatever you shoot since you naturally know more about it. But things like 'Nikon will overtake Sony' soon or 'Sony have killed Nikon and canon' is simply meaningless. If it was so easy to predict the future why would anyone go under :p

I was always a swinger ... :D I'd swing from Playstation to Xbox to Dreamcast to Nintendo when it came to consoles, I'm a bit like that with cameras too. It's whatever I fancy at that time, never been overly loyal to any one - or I'd still be shooting Nikon. I get that people can become tied to any system, it's expensive gear, you always lose when switching over - But those guys, sheesh, at least they make this place seem ultra friendly :ROFLMAO:

Back