The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I guess I belong here now! Sold my old kit (D700 + glass, NEX 6) and got myself an A7III just over a month ago. Loving it so far, I was used to the Sony systems having owned the older Nex camera, but this is something else. Loving the new sensor too.
I only have the FE 16-35 f/4 at the moment but I will soon be getting a longer lens. Looking around at the 85 to 105mm prime options.

Is the iq comparable?
Just been trying my 70-200 GM today. It's definitely sharper at 200mm and focussing feels faster also to focus! It's definitely a lens that's a grade or two above the 70-200 f4.
Unlike f4 version (and 100-400FM) the GM doesn't extend when zooming. So at 200mm the F4 version might actually be longer than GM.
The rendering and bokeh is very nice on the GM too.

I guess I belong here now! Sold my old kit (D700 + glass, NEX 6) and got myself an A7III just over a month ago. Loving it so far, I was used to the Sony systems having owned the older Nex camera, but this is something else. Loving the new sensor too.
I only have the FE 16-35 f/4 at the moment but I will soon be getting a longer lens. Looking around at the 85 to 105mm prime options.
Welcome to the dark side :D

There are plenty of options in that focal range depending on your budget and size

Just been trying my 70-200 GM today. It's definitely sharper at 200mm and focussing feels faster also to focus! It's definitely a lens that's a grade or two above the 70-200 f4.
Unlike f4 version (and 100-400FM) the GM doesn't extend when zooming. So at 200mm the F4 version might actually be longer than GM.
Well my tune may change because I'm currently in talks with a local football league to photograph the games and work on my personal project about it so the gm one I would get but I will need to shift my canon version first

Well my tune may change because I'm currently in talks with a local football league to photograph the games and work on my personal project about it so the gm one I would get but I will need to shift my canon version first
Want to exchange mine for your 100-400mm? ;)

Is the A7R III worth the extra bucks compared to the II version ?

I was in the same position Pete and I ended up getting the III.
In my very limited experience of using both cameras it seems to me that you paying extra for the better AF, better handling, better battery life and to me the viewfinder seems better.
The IQ is the same.
Wether it's worth the extra is down to your needs I think, I can remember trying the II eighteen months and after coming from the Fuji I really did not like the way it handled, the body actually had a fault with the IBIS so when I had the chance of getting a refund I did and stuck with the Fuji. Now with hindsight I'm sure if I had got a replacement I would have got use to it a fact borne out by me nearly getting another one.
But I did find swapping to the III much easier and that was coming from what I consider to the best handling camera I have used the X-H1. It was all helped by me borrowing a mates A7RIII and 24-105 for a couple of days a few weeks back so at least I had some idea what I was getting into.

I was in the same position Pete and I ended up getting the III.
In my very limited experience of using both cameras it seems to me that you paying extra for the better AF, better handling, better battery life and to me the viewfinder seems better.
The IQ is the same.
Wether it's worth the extra is down to your needs I think, I can remember trying the II eighteen months and after coming from the Fuji I really did not like the way it handled, the body actually had a fault with the IBIS so when I had the chance of getting a refund I did and stuck with the Fuji. Now with hindsight I'm sure if I had got a replacement I would have got use to it a fact borne out by me nearly getting another one.
But I did find swapping to the III much easier and that was coming from what I consider to the best handling camera I have used the X-H1. It was all helped by me borrowing a mates A7RIII and 24-105 for a couple of days a few weeks back so at least I had some idea what I was getting into.

IQ is slightly better. Especially the noise pattern is much nicer and easier to remove. The colour science has much improved and it's nearly there now.
While I wouldn't buy MK3 just for these they are nice additions with the rest you mentioned.
Also coming from Fuji who have their colour science nailed down I am sure you'd appreciate improvement in that area ;)

Last edited:
Please post that in the Nikon mirrorless thread :LOL:

How is that relevant to a camera that’s not even out? Olympus and Canon are still this market leaders in mirrorless globally I believe which is more relevant at this point in time :D

The Sony FE 70-200mm f4 is a wonderful lens mate, I think the GM is better obviously because its f2.8 and better built.
However if you need to walk about a lot, the f4 is hard to discount.

Prime example, I am off to Dubai soon and I won't be taking my FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM, yes when I went previously I happily took my 70-200mm f4 :D

The GM was a lovely bit of kit. IQ on par with the Nikon ED I have. I would say a bit better built too. Silky smooth zoom and focus rings but with slightly worse paint job.

Never tried the F4, didn’t realise it extended in use though.

IQ is slightly better. Especially the noise pattern is much nicer and easier to remove. The colour science has much improved and it's nearly there now.
While I wouldn't buy MK3 just for these they are nice additions with the rest you mentioned.
Also coming from Fuji who have their colour science nailed down I am sure you'd appreciate improvement in that area ;)

I forgot to mention the colour it is to my eye better, personally I find skin tones to be very nice now on the III and I do appreciate it, mind still miss the Fuji colours and film sims at the minute.
I did read that they improved the noise read out from the sensor ( not remotely the correct term) which I presume that accounts for the improvement.

Last edited:
Now one of these have to go…

hOc43OV.jpg

Surely just pick the one you use the least? Or if you need funds the one that will get the most!

As I don't know the Sony system very well, what's the average price of a good condition A7R II body please ?

Peter
I've got one to sell so please stick something in the Classified/Wanted section if you decide not to go for the III.

How is that relevant to a camera that’s not even out? Olympus and Canon are still this market leaders in mirrorless globally I believe which is more relevant at this point in time :D

The GM was a lovely bit of kit. IQ on par with the Nikon ED I have. I would say a bit better built too. Silky smooth zoom and focus rings but with slightly worse paint job.

Its relevant because it shows a market shift (at least the past 6 months in a large territory) towards FF mirrorless over DSLR, I believe this is the first time this has happened. Wether its Sony or CaNikon doesn't matter but there are still a lot of people in that thread that dont think mirrorless is good enough / is selling poorly.

My F4 has obviously been seized up from when I got it then as there is no way I can get it to extend? :confused::rolleyes: Sounds like you are comparing the GM to the F4 without ever having tried the F4

I’m pretty sure the 70-200mm f4 is internal zooming too (doesn’t extend).
It’s a good lens regardless.

That’s what I thought but thought I read a few pages back that it did. Probably early morning eyes!!

I thought globally Sony was ahead too. Though I have no evidence to back this up but I'll look into it when I have more time....

The GM isn't actually that much bigger in comparison. But it's a lot denser and hence heavier.
Never tried ED but the GM is the best 70-200mm I have used so far (had canon, sigma, Sony a-mount in the past)

I agree paint job doesn't seem so good. Then again it's no surprise most Sony paint job sucks especially so if it's a premium lens to make things just that bit more annoying.

Last edited:
I thought globally Sony was ahead too. Though I have no evidence to back this up but I'll look into it when I have more time....

The f4 extends and at 200mm it's longer than GM. The GM isn't actually that much bigger in comparison. But it's a lot denser and hence heavier.
Never tried ED but the GM is the best 70-200mm I have used so far (had canon, sigma, Sony a-mount in the past)

I agree paint job doesn't seem so good. Then again it's no surprise all Sony print job sucks.

I was just going off this:

https://m.dpreview.com/news/0966656...canon-dominates-dslrs-tops-sony-in-mirrorless

No idea how true reflection it is!!

Strange the F4 extends, thought they would have designed it like the Nikon version. Saying that I would take the 2.8 GM every time even with the weight!

As for it being the best - I can only go on brief use and IQ wise I could not tell the difference between it and the Nikon 70-200 (latest version). Both are ahead of the VRII though.

Not used Canon version so can’t comment!

Last edited:
My F4 has obviously been seized up from when I got it then as there is no way I can get it to extend? :confused::rolleyes: Sounds like you are comparing the GM to the F4 without ever having tried the F4
I owned one for nearly 6months unless my memory is wrong which it well could be.

I was just going off this:

https://m.dpreview.com/news/0966656...canon-dominates-dslrs-tops-sony-in-mirrorless

No idea how true reflection it is!!

Strange the F4 extends, thought they would have designed it like the Nikon version. Saying that I would take the 2.8 GM every time even with the weight!

As for it being the best - I can only go on brief use and IQ wise I could not tell the difference between it and the Nikon 70-200 (latest version). Both are ahead of the VRII though.

Not used Canon version so can’t comment!

But that's just in Japan isn't it?
Thats a smaller market than US/EU.

Canon version was the best in class. Could still well be especially with the new version coming out. I only used it with adapter.

I had f4 long time ago when it first came out. But current owners are saying it doesn't extend. So I apologize for misleading :sorry:

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure the 70-200mm f4 is internal zooming too (doesn’t extend).
It’s a good lens regardless.
Yes it's a great lens. Sharp wide open through out the range and AF was great with A6000. So I am sure it'll be better with more recent bodies.

But that's just in Japan isn't it?
Thats a smaller market than US/EU.

Canon version was the best in class. Could still well be especially with the new version coming out. I only used it with adapter.

I had f4 long time ago when it first came out. But current owners are saying it doesn't extend. So I apologize for misleading :sorry:
The gm is now as good if not better than the Canon apparently. And the mk3 has next to no iq difference. Just a new lick of pain (literally)

I am going to assume that my version must be broken then, as it does not extend externally at all, only the internals move when zooming,

I am going to assume that my version must be broken then, as it does not extend externally at all, only the internals move when zooming,

As others have said the 70-200 F4 zooms internally, not externally so you are ok :)

Might be a bit too niche to be imminent :D Do Nikon do any?

They do and dare as say it, it's not as good as the Canon versions. It is VERY niche and Nikon hasn't updated theirs in quite a long time I believe whereas Canon has been updating some of them quite recently.

Back