The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I tell you one thing, shooing EVF with the TSE is perfect, because with TSE, if you get perfect exposure on a photo without any tilt or shift, the second you tilt, depending which direction you are doing it, you are either introducing more light or reducing light into the sensor without changing the aperture. With OVF you are guessing how much light it is changing, one direction you have to compensate for MORE, the other with less. I've shot many shots completely blown because I forgot, all because I tilt.

Also with DMF, you can see exactly where the focus plane is, instead of kind of guessing that's roughly where it is.

I toyed with thd idea of getting a 3rd party one when I had Canon but I never got around to it. It was a Harbiteli... or something like that.

Any good intervalometer for the A7III? Preferably wired.

Hello all

I'm thinking of buying a Used A7ii - anything to look out for ?

To keep weight down I will be looking at the AF Samyang lenses...

cheers

As I was missing the Leica Q, finally decided to buy the 28mm f2.0 FE lens.

Probably should have gotten this instead of the 35mm 2.8 I got a while back and sold on after a week.

smaller than all my other lenses, should be nice for street photography and be a bit more discrete and less heavy

As I was missing the Leica Q, finally decided to buy the 28mm f2.0 FE lens.

Probably should have gotten this instead of the 35mm 2.8 I got a while back and sold on after a week.

smaller than all my other lenses, should be nice for street photography and be a bit more discrete and less heavy

Should've kept the q

Did a nice shoot in the woods today with mk3 and the 35 sigma and 85 L 1.2 all adapted!

It only flipped out on me 2 or 3 times during the shoot(losing af) but did well most of the time

3000 photos shot this weekend (two weddings, over 22 hours), nearly all of them with either the Sigma 35mm 1.4 or Sigma 85mm 1.4, both Canon fit with the MC-11 adaptor on a7RIIs.

Just culled them, one (ONE!) out of focus shot from the whole lot. Considering that included birds of prey in a dark church and 10pm fireworks with a dancing couple I'm pretty pleased to say the least. First time assigning Eye AF to the toggle switch and using the centre button to 'back button' focus as well, can't believe I've not done that before now!

I'm struggling to process what a a7III and the native Sigma Arts would be like as my combos really were perfect.

3000 photos shot this weekend (two weddings, over 22 hours), nearly all of them with either the Sigma 35mm 1.4 or Sigma 85mm 1.4, both Canon fit with the MC-11 adaptor on a7RIIs.

Just culled them, one (ONE!) out of focus shot from the whole lot. Considering that included birds of prey in a dark church and 10pm fireworks with a dancing couple I'm pretty pleased to say the least. First time assigning Eye AF to the toggle switch and using the centre button to 'back button' focus as well, can't believe I've not done that before now!

I'm struggling to process what a a7III and the native Sigma Arts would be like as my combos really were perfect.
What body where you using? (Edit rIi’s can’t read clearly, have been thinking of getting one as stop gap solution as well but the reasons below put me off)

Tbh the main advantages of the a7iii are dual card slots, bigger battery, and the af point selection joystick which is awesome compared the older way of selecting af points on the Sony’s. Although I still wish the af point was a different colour to grey

Last edited:

So all shot at 1.4 ? or f 11? or...

The AF is good but not that good.

The AF is good but not that good.

As in you don't think I only had one OOF photo from 3000? Happy to confirm otherwise, have no reason to oversell it. Probably 40% Eye AF, the rest just standard AF-C with a medium AF box. On both days the only slowdown was the first dance (i.e. very dark).

So all shot at 1.4 ? or f 11? or...

A very large percentage at f1.4 (for both the 35 and 85). Bumped up to f3.2 or thereabouts for most of the group shots.

Tbh the main advantages of the a7iii are dual card slots, bigger battery, and the af point selection joystick

I found the battery life to be fine, I used two per camera each day but even then that was with giving myself a very comfortable buffer, usually changing them before 20%. At a guess I would have been averaging 600 shots per battery had I ran them down further. They are permanently in Airplane mode which I would guess helps a bit. I have a couple of OEMs and the rest Ravpower, they are all just mixed together as I've noticed no difference between them.

The AF point selection was/is easily the biggest annoyance with the a7RII. Fine for Eye AF as that's pretty remarkable for hanging on, but regular AF-C could be fiddly at times. I've set it all up with custom buttons to be as quick as is possible but yep, if anything was going to push me into an upgrade it would be that.

Last edited:
A7RII was actually quite good for tracking. It did struggle a little on low light. I think sometimes people exaggerate the issues.

A7RII was actually quite good for tracking. It did struggle a little on low light. I think sometimes people exaggerate the issues.

Quite good. Not amazing like d750 or a7iii. The new cameras ime are without a doubt better.

Quite good. Not amazing like d750 or a7iii. The new cameras ime are without a doubt better.
Where did I say it wasn't better. Newer bodies being better doesn't mean older one was bad. It was still good.

Is still good :) I really have no brand loyalty whatsoever and zero reason to justify whatever gear is in my bag (still got Fuji gear hanging around), but I'd honestly put the a7RII alongside the D750 for pretty much everything I've shot. For example covering the Festival of Speed, shot the exact same angles all day with both systems and there is absolutely nothing in it. The few areas where the Sony is clearly deficient are, for me, easily made up for by the inherent benefits of mirrorless (more so in a wedding environment).

I do get surprised at the number of people on forums (not here, necessarily) shying people away from the a7RII. I appreciate the a7III / a7RIII is a bit special, but considering the price of a7RIIs these days it's one hell of a good buy and I'd say more than capable of being more camera than the majority of users would need. Oddly enough not something I hear so much with Nikon DSLRs, with the D750 still highly recommended despite the D850 being on the scene.

A7RII doesn’t have dual card slots hence I wouldn’t consider it for weddings. D750 does.

Last edited:
A7 and Canon 85mm f1.8 go bramble picking...

Butterfly at 100%.

1-DSC01370-c.jpg

1-DSC01397.jpg

1-DSC01378.jpg

It's a bit dreamy and some shots were affected by flare and glare and it maybe doesn't stand up to pixel peeping too well at the wider apertures, but it's ok :D

Well here's a surprise...

The rumor site is saying that Zeiss will launch a FF fixed lens camera using Sony tech...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4...rame-camera-a-rebranded-rx1rii/#disqus_thread

Or maybe it's a Zeiss branded Sony?

I was wondering only yesterday if Sony would have another go at the FF fixed lens compact market. I'm sure I've read that the RX1 was soundly thrashed in sales by the Leica so maybe they'll (Sony and / or Zeiss) have another go...

Last edited:
I thought I might weaken and buy a modern lens, FE 85mm f1.8, but when I looked everywhere seems to be out of stock.

Last edited:
Woof buying a af lens? Wait what!

There's more of a chance of Brexit being canceled then woof buying a af lens!

Yeah I know but... using the FD yesterday the light wasn't brilliant and it suffered a little with flaring and glare and the like causing a lack of contrast in some areas in some shots and of course it's softer at the wider apertures than a modern lens and there's the interesting bokeh at f1.8 too :D so all in all I was thinking of getting a modern lens as a I took a couple of shots which disappointed me. The FD isn't my best 85mm, I think the Rokkor f2 is better, and I could have used a lens hood but really none of these lenses is going to match a modern lens like the 85mm f1.8 so I thought I'd get one for the couple of times a year I'll use it and actually I might use it more. I did like the Sigma 85mm f1.4 on my 5D.

So, if I get the 85mm f1.8 I'll have the following modern lenses...

35mm f2.8, 55mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8 and 28-70mm lit lens plus the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 and 35mm f1.4. I know some would say that the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 isn't a modern lens but compared to the FD, Zuiko and Rokkor 35's I have it most definitely is :D At some point I may also add a 20mm or there abouts too as Iiked the Sigma 20mm f1.8 on my 5D, the one catching my eye at the moment is the Tokina Firin 20mm f2.

Last edited:
Back