The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I imagine I'll get screamed at in high pitched girly voices, but those Zeiss lenses look ... well, pants! I'm sure they are optically great, but looks-wise, if that matters, they look like a bunch of old vintage lenses with third party hoods to match stuck on. Even the blue Zeiss badge looks tacky. Sorry in advance if that upsets anyone for all the money you spent, but saying what I see.

Last edited:
Not at all, each to their own.
I agree that logos generally are tacky.
There are seven binocuoars in this house and I have two pairs of Steiner Dicovery 10x44 binoculars with gaudy gold logos that at times I 've considered removing with a file. The bins themselves are wonderful, opically Alpha, and perfect for me ergonomically. Tell that to a Zeiss/Leica/Swarovski fanboy and see what response...
Before you ask, why buy two pairs of 10x and not get an 8x? well when I go out with family I know we're seeing the same image. I have two vintage featherweight 1979 Nikon 9x30 for the same reason.

If I were a pro photographer I'd have three f2.8 zooms to cover, plus three bodies.
A photography friend loves using film, with old Nikon gear. He got a 1959 scalloped 50mm lens in mint condition the other week and wants another equally mint f camera to match. He has more camera bodies than I have lenses. A real pain cos you can't use and waste his film the way we all gleefully snap away with pixel-power on new (in my case old fashioned looking mostly manual focus) gear.

And woofwoof, agreed, the centre-pinch lens caps are definitely far better. Why Zeiss, why?

Last edited:
I only wanted it for lolz.

If you just want one because they look nice :D then there's nothing wrong with that. They're expensive for what they are (a plastic lens cap) but it's just a one off expense (unless you lose it) so £23 or whatever you find one for two of them is only about £50 or so and that's well within treat for me money. So get some :D

All important screen protectors arrived yesterday. Got a multi pack as usually go wrong or get annoyed with a tiny spec of dust and in anger throw the protector on the floor :ROFLMAO:

I've said this before, but the best way to install any screen protector and avoid dust is to do it in a humid bathroom after you've had a shower. The water particles clear dust from the air. I've never had a dust spec doing it this way.

Looking semi seriously at the A7 range to compliment my M43 gear (at first).

So, A7 or A72 to look at? Others are out of my range.

I've said conflicting YouTube videos / reports and some advocate the first model and others the second.

Looking semi seriously at the A7 range to compliment my M43 gear (at first).

So, A7 or A72 to look at? Others are out of my range.

I've said conflicting YouTube videos / reports and some advocate the first model and others the second.

If you need Ibis a7ii, if not, a7 imo.

Thanks twist

It’ll be landscapes so I wouldn’t have thought so

If you're using a tripod then the a7 seems a better cheaper bet. The sensor performance is pretty much identical. Keep an eye on Amazon they seem to sometimes do the a7 and kit lens for 720.

Last edited:
I've said this before, but the best way to install any screen protector and avoid dust is to do it in a humid bathroom after you've had a shower. The water particles clear dust from the air. I've never had a dust spec doing it this way.

I read about this yearssss ago, my most impressive one is putting on a screen protector on the iPad 1. Not a single bubble or dust, I was impressed with my own work :D

What does it do?? Anything for the A7iii
Nothing for the Sony A7 III yet. Does it need one?

The Sony A9 firmware is mainly for the FE 400 f2.8 GM, however there might be some bug / general operation stability improvements.

Nothing for the Sony A7 III yet. Does it need one?

The Sony A9 firmware is mainly for the FE 400 f2.8 GM, however there might be some bug / general operation stability improvements.

Nah dont think it need one it just works out of the box lol So the A7iii already works with theFE 400 then

There are loads of things they could change on the A7III with firmware.

• Add seconds to the clock.
  • Make it so that Auto ISO can be turned on/off without having to scroll to base ISO. The way Nikon does it is perfect.
  • Allow the video REC button to be reconfigured like the other C buttons (that way I can make it my EyeAF button)
  • Lossless compressed RAW
  • Full-size Jpeg preview files with RAW (or at least bigger than the current 1616x1080px).
All of these would make the camera better than it is.

• Make it so that Auto ISO can be turned on/off without having to scroll to base ISO. The way Nikon does it is perfect.
  • Allow the video REC button to be reconfigured like the other C buttons (that way I can make it my EyeAF button)
  • Full-size Jpeg preview files with RAW (or at least bigger than the current 1616x1080px).

First two would be great.

They could - of course
They will - most probably not

They could - of course
They will - most probably not

Hey at least what we do get for our £1999 is still good value vs performance, the same can’t be said for the Nikon Z or Canon R! They are going to need way more than just a mild firmware upgrade to make them remotely register on potential buyers are aren’t already in the EOS eco-system. :D lol

At minimum, the scroll feed of the ISO numbers need to have a hard stop either end.
Allow the front wheel to move the focus points.

Not commented on the new Canon and Nikon mirrorless range yet... so far though I haven't seen a lot that would make me buy one over an A7riii.... better weather proofing maybe? But seems a lot of trades offs (Single Slot, Worse battery life despite using the DSLR battery, worse AF....)

Not commented on the new Canon and Nikon mirrorless range yet... so far though I haven't seen a lot that would make me buy one over an A7riii.... better weather proofing maybe? But seems a lot of trades offs (Single Slot, Worse battery life despite using the DSLR battery, worse AF....)
You ain't wrong. ;) :LOL:

Before the fanboy's appear, what you shoot, what you already may have and the potential cost of changing etc affects you choice. :rolleyes:

And of course just being a fanboy stops you from considering anything else regardless. ;) :LOL:

Anyone here own a think tank retrospective 30? Reckon it's too big for mirrorless?

Can anyone recommend an adapter for the A6300 to use Canon lenses please.

Back