The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

hi guys quick question thinking of swapping my 6d for a sony a7 for portraits etc am I right in thinking that the autofocus is really slow compared to a dslr?
Depends what really slow is. In reality it's fractions of a second, perhaps critical for sports but for portraits.....?

Obv a lot of scaremongering on the internet about Af
Would rather know off the actual owners I don't do sports just portraits so I'm guessing adequate with a lens like 35mm 2.8

I suppose focus has always got to be viewed as a combination of body + lens. I only have two AF lenses, the 28-70mm kit lens and the 55mm and both seem fine to me.

I had Canon 20D and 5D and couple of older DSLR's and they seemed fast enough for me with all of my lenses and ditto the A7.

Have you tried looking for vids on Youtube? There's bound to be some focus demo vids. Tracking might be another story but I wouldn't worry too much about still shooting.

Here you go...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2nHiYHPFeU

This one is foreign but it's obvious what's going on :D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MriykjUEuRo

And one last one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxFsKOfUJMI

Last edited:
Obv a lot of scaremongering on the internet about Af
Would rather know off the actual owners I don't do sports just portraits so I'm guessing adequate with a lens like 35mm 2.8

It's rare to find any camera nowadays without lightening quick af and that includes my iPhone. Tracking af can be a very different story and yep high end dslrs do have their advantages but even then only slightly and not for portraits.

Depending on what style of portraits you do I would look at other lens options too.

Looks good that. The question is, do I go for the 35mm or the 28mm? I honestly can't decide.

I'm having a similar quandry with the Nikon 28 v 35 at the moment, really like a 35mm viewpoint but sometimes thing the extra few mm width would be handy.

hi guys quick question thinking of swapping my 6d for a sony a7 for portraits etc am I right in thinking that the autofocus is really slow compared to a dslr?
Compared to a DSLR? Sure it's slower. In good light though the difference is minimal - more than good enough for any portraits. It does bog down a bit by the time you get into the region of ISO3200ish light levels though.

However in exchange for a 0.1s slower focus lock, you get a far more accurate focus lock - no more back/front focus nonsense, etc. - and quality of life benfits such as being able to focus anywhere in the frame, eye detect AF, live exposure preview, histograms, and image review in the viewfinder, etc. For me, I'd never go back to a DSLR for portraits.

Just got a 55 to 62mm step up ring for my 50mm f1.2 and 135mm f2.8 so that I can use my filter holder on them :D

Just a cheapo little thing from the auction site but it made my day :D

I'm having a similar quandry with the Nikon 28 v 35 at the moment, really like a 35mm viewpoint but sometimes thing the extra few mm width would be handy.

As much as I like the 28, I have a 28-70 (albeit it doesn't shoot to 1.8), but I don't know if 1.8 at 28mm would be all that useful to me. A faster 35mm probably would be though...

Are you sticking with the Sony then?

As much as I like the 28, I have a 28-70 (albeit it doesn't shoot to 1.8), but I don't know if 1.8 at 28mm would be all that useful to me. A faster 35mm probably would be though...

Its f2 not 1.8

I have 28 and 35mm lenses. To be honest I think I prefer 35mm but 50mm is my used focal length and 28 gives a bit more differentiation. If you get my drift... I could live with a 35mm and indeed for years I did.

I agree that the difference between f1.8 and f2 isn't worth thinking about, it's bragging rights only.

6 and half a dozen. I'm not crying over .2 of a stop!
Well your little red dude looks like he's crying over something!

Anyway, I picked up an A7r today (cheap - I guess because of the mkII potentially coming out soon), and the AF performance doesn't seem anywhere near as far behind the A7 as I remember it being. Has anyone with access to both noticed it catching up that much since they came out? Maybe my memory is just faulty.

Anyway, I picked up an A7r today (cheap - I guess because of the mkII potentially coming out soon), and the AF performance doesn't seem anywhere near as far behind the A7 as I remember it being. Has anyone with access to both noticed it catching up that much since they came out? Maybe my memory is just faulty.
What's the shutter sound like?

I have 28 and 35mm lenses. To be honest I think I prefer 35mm but 50mm is my used focal length and 28 gives a bit more differentiation. If you get my drift... I could live with a 35mm and indeed for years I did.

I agree that the difference between f1.8 and f2 isn't worth thinking about, it's bragging rights only.

Now you're muddying the water! I plan on getting the 55mm 1.8 FE. As a pair, I guess the 28mm does make more sense. AGHH

It's Radiohead artwork, of course it's crying!

What's the shutter sound like?
Similar to the A7, but while the A7 is a ka-chunk, the r is more of a higher pitched ka-churrr. That probably doesn't help you much though. There's a couple of videos on youtube that may help though. Personally for my needs it doesn't bother me - the A7 has an electronic front curtain that I don't bother to use despite it making only half as much noise. YMMV.

I think I'm going to stick with Nikon actually.... I feel I've found my photography "mojo" again, I've spent a few days with the D800 and actually I think it and a small prime (28/35) will do me as a lighter option when I need it.

Just a heads up folks, firmware version 1.21 is out soon.... think its just bug fixes and for the upcoming FE lenses.

Now you're muddying the water! I plan on getting the 55mm 1.8 FE. As a pair, I guess the 28mm does make more sense. AGHH

I think it all depends on what you want to do.

If you are going to print very large you may want something that's good across the frame but if you are going to view whole images on screen or in less than ginormous prints then you may get away with a lens which is less good. Another factor is AF or not.

I think I've decided that I really only need AF for my 55mm as it's my most used focal length and it's what I tend to use when I'm out with someone else. I like having 28, 85 and 135mm lenses and a macro too but when I use them I usually have more time and can MF. I've pretty much given up printing and mostly view on screen these days too and having time and not wanting huge prints means I can therefore manage with my Rokkor's.

You can get an old manual focus 28mm f2.8 for between £15-30, add an adapter for anything from £10-100 and it's cheaper than an AF 28mm f2.

Depending on use it might be worth thinking about going the MF route.

Last edited:
Yeah, I currently have an ancient Nikon MF 50, which I plan to use mainly to gain experience in manual shooting. I bought a Nikon 18-35, again to manually shoot - but as it's a newer lens the manual ring is loose as hell. No idea if i'll keep it or not, nor any idea if there's a bodge for it. There's no rush, so i'll try the manual thing and see how I get on, it's just a shame modern camera's have horrific manual focus rings. The one I took of my f301 is just lovely - great feel.

I have to say, on the point about AF, I feel the A7 is giving me more keepers (and less missed focus) than the D7000. Slightly (but pleasantly) surprised by that.

I think I'm going to stick with Nikon actually.... I feel I've found my photography "mojo" again, I've spent a few days with the D800 and actually I think it and a small prime (28/35) will do me as a lighter option when I need it.

I give you 6 months. :p

How are you two finding it so difficult to realise Im talking present, not future, wether its 5 or 10 years? Its obvious mirrorless sales will eventually exceed mirrored. Arent you really stating the obvious? If it was that easy don't you think Sony would've already had an AF system as good as Canikons, get real.

Got myself a6000 few weeks ago and don't really see the difference in AF speed between this one and my 7d mark2. Tested with SEL 55-210mm lens and got great results on BIF.

Hey folks - I am considering moving from a Nikon D7100 with some pro glass over to a Sony A7 mainly due to weight considerations.
The only niggle I have with the Sony is the position of the shutter button - it seems a bit awkward to me. I am after opinions of those that have moved from a Nikon over to the Sony - how do you find it in use?
Also I'm a little concerned about the apparent limit of glass available.
I guess I don't need pro glass - just as good as I can get really as its only amateur use for me anyway - mainly landscapes and a few portraits - maybe the odd airshow too

Last edited:
At the moment if you want an A7 you can probably have a choice as to where your shutter button goes as the A7 has it on the top plate and the A7II has it on the grip, forward and angled a bit, more like a DSLR. You should be able to Google your way to pictures of the A7II. For eg...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-7-ii

If you want an A7r or A7s the shutter button will be in the same place as on the A7 but here may be an A7rII along sometime soon. I have the original A7 and I can honestly say that the position of the shutter button doesn't bother me and never has.

I don't know if you've kept up with the new lens releases but if not it may be worth Googling and seeing what's available. The range of lenses seems to be coming along nicely and although there are nowhere near the number of native Sony AF lenses as there are for Canon or Nikon those available seem to be largely aimed at the top end of the market.

Other than the native lenses you can use oodles of others via the appropriate adapter.

Hi guys,

I've just picked up an A7 + 35mm that arrives tomorrow.

Coming from a list of Canon SLRs (400D, 550D, 650D, 6D, 5D) - I'm hoping I find myself carrying this camera more now considering it's size/weight.

Are there any essential accessories etc. that I should look at? Any bargain adapters/lenses I should look out for etc?

I think in a month or two, I want to start looking at another lens - perhaps a zoom for walkaround. Any suggestions what I should be looking at

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
I've looked at the A7II but think that's probably outside my price range at the moment. It does look a better choice though with the shutter button and also 5 axis stabiliser.
The idea of full frame appeals to me too:)

Hi guys,

I've just picked up an A7 + 35mm that arrives tomorrow.

Coming from a list of Canon SLRs (400D, 550D, 650D, 6D, 5D) - I'm hoping I find myself carrying this camera more now considering it's size/weight.

Are there any essential accessories etc. that I should look at? Any bargain adapters/lenses I should look out for etc?

I think in a month or two, I want to start looking at another lens - perhaps a zoom for walkaround. Any suggestions what I should be looking at
I got a Canon ef adapter lens from Amazon for like 100 quid. 3rd of the price of the widely popular metabones adapter

If anyone's selling, or know someone who is selling a 55mm 1.8 FE let me know! I posted in the wanted section, and someone tried to sell me a lens they'd purchased last week for £508, for £550. Then told me I was offending him. I honestly don't understand some people sometimes. Whatever happened to being honest? *sigh*

I got a Canon ef adapter lens from Amazon for like 100 quid. 3rd of the price of the widely popular metabones adapter
What's the AF like? I've seen some on eBay for as little as £40-60

If anyone's selling, or know someone who is selling a 55mm 1.8 FE let me know! I posted in the wanted section, and someone tried to sell me a lens they'd purchased last week for £508, for £550. Then told me I was offending him. I honestly don't understand some people sometimes. Whatever happened to being honest? *sigh*

I don't understand why people are obligated to sell something for what they paid for it?

I've regularly sold things for more than I paid for them - I generally pay what I'm willing to pay for an item and then when I want to move it on, advertise it for the going rate - who wouldn't? :eek:

You should be more concerned about what price you're willing to pay :)

That's fair enough, nobody's saying that you can't sell something for a profit, though. My issue was his double standards, on one hand saying he was only selling to do a favour/good deal to a fellow forum member.. When the reality was he was looking to make a quick buck from me.

The fact is, if he had been honest from the start I'd be cool with it. The fact he wasn't leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

In any case, he was selling something used for more than you could get it new, and for more than he bought it for new. A Sony 55mm FE is not an appreciating asset, or a collectors item.

In any case, he was selling something used for more than you could get it new, and for more than he bought it for new. A Sony 55mm FE is not an appreciating asset, or a collectors item.

Personally I'd never try and make a fast few quid and if I bought something but quickly decided that I didn't want it I'd offer it for sale saying why and knocking a bit off the price. There'll be more for sale so hang in there and you'll get one sooner or later :D

When I moved from Canon DSLR to mirrorless I did actually sell a couple of lenses for more than I'd paid for them but in my defence I'd had them for years and the prices had gone up in the meantime. Before putting them up for sale I check what they were going for at a good used dealer and I then put them for less, they sold quickly and the buyers were happy :D so hopefully what I did was ok :D

I'd agree that right now a used 55mm f1.8 should be sold for less than the cost of a new one but if the cost of new ones goes up over the years the cost of used ones could too.

That's fair enough, nobody's saying that you can't sell something for a profit, though. My issue was his double standards, on one hand saying he was only selling to do a favour/good deal to a fellow forum member.. When the reality was he was looking to make a quick buck from me.

The fact is, if he had been honest from the start I'd be cool with it. The fact he wasn't leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

That's minor. Check sneakers game. People sell sneakers for triple the price. Google the yeezy boots on eBay to see lol

lol, I know. One of my friends is a serial shoe collector - it's almost disturbing. Tell me this though, would you ever pay more money for a used lens that you know was purchased cheaper than it was being sold for when you could buy a brand new one for less?

I'm not on this website to fleece people, i'm on here to talk about things that interest me with like minded people. If I can help them in any way, be it with advice or something I can sell - I most definitely do! I've formed brilliant bonds and friendships (as well as meeting my wife to be on a band forum) on sites like these, so if that means i'll sell something here for less than what I could get elsewhere, but will go to a person or home that really appreciates it, that means more to me than making an extra tenner.

In that sense, maybe i'm a minority here. I hope i'm wrong.

Back