The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yep £2600, no special deal..

Piling my Canon gear sales into this. It had better work otherwise I could become a councillor for Canon to pis*ed off Canon users who want to throw their Canon / (or for that matter Nikon) towel in to get them to keep the faith. AFAIAC DSLR is way overweight for an Old Git like me so hopefully it's me singing Hastalavista Baby however I realise I am winging it and could be out on a limb but hey if so I can sell you a bargain. :banana:
I wil pre order soon too.

5d3 will become my sports camera. A7r2 for landscape studio work and a7s for night time /Street shots

The Batis, will wait for reviews and hopefully a small price cut :D

Ken Rockwell has had a rant about using adapters with lenses on mirrorless. As this is something I've done for a few years I feel able to comment, so I will...

Ken, you're talking crap. Go into this knowing the pros and cons and if you are even half conscious you can get good results. In fact many of the shots I'm most happy with have been taken in recent years with adapted lenses on CSC's.

The idea of an A7 really floats my boat and I'm sure the 85mm Batis is incredible, but an A7Rii and 85mm is no lighter than a D750 + 85mm 1.8G and considerably more expensive to boot :eek:

Well, the Batis will be a relatively big fat prime for a CSC but I think I'm right in saying that the Sony + Batis combo still comes out at about 100g lighter so the questions for you are...

Is that significant?
and...
Would I rather have a big fat dinosaur DSLR or a 42mp CSC with an EVF, IBIS and the ability to shoot silently.

Last edited:
Ken Rockwell has had a rant about using adapters with lenses on mirrorless. As this is something I've done for a few years I feel able to comment, so I will...

Ken, you're talking crap. Go into this knowing the pros and cons and if you are even half conscious you can get good results. In fact many of the shots I'm most happy with have been taken in recent years with adapted lenses on CSC's.

ken being ken

I'm in my own little world at the moment shooting with an a99 (remember that!), for a 3 year old camera it really does feel current (aside from lacking Wifi), I love it. I guess the a7RII has effectively killed any hope of another FF A-Mount, which is a shame given the incredible glass that as it stands is still likely to operate best on a native camera (Zeiss 135mm 1.8, for example) and for which there is no FE alternative.

It's a reasonable compromise for me at the moment, advantages of a DSLR but with an EVF (which I can't live without now) and the chance to own some of my favourite glass of all time. The A7II low light AF just wasn't cutting it for me (in terms of speed, not accuracy), quite a bit behind the Fuji X-T1, which surprised me somewhat.

Will be very interesting going forward to see if a) Sony offer an adaptor that allows screw drive A-mount lenses to operate using the a7RII pdaf, and b) whether continuous AF (with FE and A glass) will genuinely be close to that of a DSLR/SLT.

I'm in my own little world at the moment shooting with an a99 (remember that!), for a 3 year old camera it really does feel current (aside from lacking Wifi), I love it. I guess the a7RII has effectively killed any hope of another FF A-Mount, which is a shame given the incredible glass that as it stands is still likely to operate best on a native camera (Zeiss 135mm 1.8, for example) and for which there is no FE alternative.

It's a reasonable compromise for me at the moment, advantages of a DSLR but with an EVF (which I can't live without now) and the chance to own some of my favourite glass of all time. The A7II low light AF just wasn't cutting it for me (in terms of speed, not accuracy), quite a bit behind the Fuji X-T1, which surprised me somewhat.

Will be very interesting going forward to see if a) Sony offer an adaptor that allows screw drive A-mount lenses to operate using the a7RII pdaf, and b) whether continuous AF (with FE and A glass) will genuinely be close to that of a DSLR/SLT.
I'm using an A99 with all the Zeiss glass and I haven't given up hope (just yet!) of a mk2, technically it's not even due for replacement yet on its 3 year cycle so let's wait. If not I'll happily go an A7Riii yep (3) as by then they'll have the af with slr lenses completely nailed.

Considering how great the a7 is there sure are a lot of people ditching them shortly after buying. Guess people still like to use those dinosaur cameras.

I'm looking forward to real world a7rii reviews and hopefully trying one myself. I hope it lives up to its hype.

Considering how great the a7 is there sure are a lot of people ditching them shortly after buying. Guess people still like to use those dinosaur cameras.

I've fully embraced mirrorless but right now none of them offer exactly what I want considering my varied requirements (weddings and Motorsport, amongst other things). Fuji was awesome but I missed full-frame, Sony are so nearly there and I think the a7RII might just nail it, but it's completely off the table until it's a little more affordable.

The a99 is my weird hybrid love child that is offering me a bit of both for now (EVF and superb AF) and will happily get me through the rest of this wedding and sport season.

Last edited:

I'm looking forward to real world a7rii reviews and hopefully trying one myself. I hope it lives up to its hype.

Nah, it's just me ditching a lot of them. As you well know, I've tried and sold an A7, A7S and A7II. The A7R just might stick around - at least until the A7RII is affordable - the jury is still out on that.

A user can have both like me hehe

You get this with new stuff. Just look at the number of Fuji threads in the classified section here, there's so many Fuji's for sale you'd think they attacked children and small animals. I think it's just people jumping on new kit too quickly or maybe over exercising the credit card and then bailing out. As I've said before, the only way I'll go back to humping a big fat DSLR with a flappy mirror about is if there's a gun to my head.

Nah, it's just me ditching a lot of them. As you well know, I've tried and sold an A7, A7S and A7II. The A7R just might stick around - at least until the A7RII is affordable - the jury is still out on that.

But didn't you ditch them all because you found the d7200 (and still do) to be the better all rounder? I know that's the camera you've kept the longest so far throughout your switching.

I've fully embraced mirrorless but right now none of them offer exactly what I want considering my varied requirements (weddings and Motorsport, amongst other things). Fuji was awesome but I missed full-frame, Sony are so nearly there and I think the a7RII might just nail it, but it's completely off the table until it's a little more affordable.

The a99 is my weird hybrid love child that is offering me a bit of both for now (EVF and superb AF) and will happily get me through the rest of this wedding and sport season.

This is exactly how I feel, for me it's not quite there yet and works better as a system alongside. I know it'll get there eventually though.

I took my dinosaur D800 out last weekend, and it is so much quicker at autofocus than the A7R - BUT - this time that advantage was cancelled out by the disadvantages!
I missed the tilting rear screen, I missed the evf (being able to see the effects on the screen or in the evf is very useful), but most of all in the bright sunshine I couldn't see the shots on the screen. With the Sony I can review images in the evf, brilliant.
I also had forgotten how heavy the Nikon was going to be with the holy trinity of lenses and a fast portrait lens on my shoulder for the day.
Enough to convince me that when it comes, i will sell the Nikon kit and the A7R, and purchase the A7Rii.

But didn't you ditch them all because you found the d7200 (and still do) to be the better all rounder? I know that's the camera you've kept the longest so far throughout your switching.

Yep, I've been going back and forward between CSC and DSLR for about three years now. Each time the CSC is almost there but not quite. Each time the DSLR is big and clumsy and I miss the EVF. Right now the D7200s are good workhorses but the A7R is doing a lot of things right. I'm going to try it out and about with a 35mm and see how it does. Or sell the lot and get a Leica Q :D

Yep, I've been going back and forward between CSC and DSLR for about three years now. Each time the CSC is almost there but not quite. Each time the DSLR is big and clumsy and I miss the EVF. Right now the D7200s are good workhorses but the A7R is doing a lot of things right. I'm going to try it out and about with a 35mm and see how it does. Or sell the lot and get a Leica Q :D

Leica Q looks lovely, shame its not 35mm.

Leica Q looks lovely, shame its not 35mm.

It does. Still think A7x is more useful and prob just as capable.

It's a shame the 35/1.4 is so massive. After Alan's experience above, I'm going for the 2.8. I reckon it'll do a great job. I think I'm hoping for an 85 Loxia rather than the Batis. Again, it's massive and I don't need AF for portraits.

I think I'm hoping for an 85 Loxia rather than the Batis. Again, it's massive and I don't need AF for portraits.
I think that more Sony lenses like the 28mm f2 would be great for people who would accept less than Zeiss ultimate image quality for the advantages of smaller size and less cost.

I have 3 manual 85's and it's not my most used focal length so I could easily hold off buying a Batis for a while in the hope that a smaller and cheaper Sony 85 f1.8 or f2 comes along.

u could do lae3 and sal85 2.8 I think, tho Sam af is like in lens screw drive :/

I'm found of my a77ii , fond.

I think that more Sony lenses like the 28mm f2 would be great for people who would accept less than Zeiss ultimate image quality for the advantages of smaller size and less cost.

That's what I've also been saying. They really could increase overall sales significantly by bringing out a series like the nikon gs. Cheap bodies good performing lenses and good value overall.

I think the bodies are well priced, well the A7 is anyway.

It's cheap native glass that's the issue. Until recently nearly all the lenses were either Zeiss, or Sony G, so basically top of the line range (I know the 2470 isn't all that). The only normal lenses are the 28-70, 28, and the 24-240 (that I barely seen a single sharp photo from)

Probably a long term strategy. They want to be taken seriously first, building a lens lineup by churning out a lot of mediocre and average lenses would see them get panned even worse than only putting out expensive glass probably :p

Probably a long term strategy. They want to be taken seriously first, building a lens lineup by churning out a lot of mediocre and average lenses would see them get panned even worse than only putting out expensive glass probably :p

Sure because nikkor GS are really crap :rolleyes:

I didn't say that they were!!

But the point is Nikon have the higher end stuff sorted before they bring out the consumer lenses, that was what i was saying

I think that the policy of going for mostly higher end lenses is probably the right one, as JVC says Sony would have been pilloried if they'd done otherwise.

I'm impressed with this slightly less high end 35mm f2.8. With the lens profile selected in CS5 everything looks good to me. Colours are nice and I haven't seen any nasties and the images stand up to 100% viewing. What's not to like :D

It's almost a waste of time posting 100% crops to show sharpness as I can't get the best out of Photobucket but here goes anyway... it's sharp on my screen.

Last edited:
In the process of selling all my Nikon gear at the moment, mainly due to lack of time shooting.

My future plans were to pick up an A7 at a later date when I have some free time. It's starting to look like a lot of places are starting to not stock the A7 anymore? I couldn't find anything official, but it might force me to get one now with the cash back offer.

In the process of selling all my Nikon gear at the moment, mainly due to lack of time shooting.

My future plans were to pick up an A7 at a later date when I have some free time. It's starting to look like a lot of places are starting to not stock the A7 anymore? I couldn't find anything official, but it might force me to get one now with the cash back offer.

.... always used market. But with current cashback its a bargain.

.... always used market. But with current cashback its a bargain.

I've considered that and you're right that is probably where I would look into buying, but my concern is we're waiting for a good value fairly last minute honeymoon right now so I would potentially need a camera at fairly short notice!

So Sony have filed a patent for a 28-70 f4 updating the kit lens presumably, I read a rumour about this a while back. Would have been nicer to have a 24-85 though.
Also, not A7 related but turns out Fuji are putting the A7000 sensor in the new Xpro2. Good move for fuji, shame they have to wait 6 months though.

Fuji dropping the x-trans sensor says it all, a flop! [emoji23] Sony seem to be leading in sensor design / fabrication.

So Sony have filed a patent for a 28-70 f4 updating the kit lens presumably, I read a rumour about this a while back. Would have been nicer to have a 24-85 though.
Also, not A7 related but turns out Fuji are putting the A7000 sensor in the new Xpro2. Good move for fuji, shame they have to wait 6 months though.

Wonder if they will purposefully make it worse than the 24-70, after all, in theory it should be but then itll just be a huge stinking pile of poo.

But will it be bayer or X trans.

Back