The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I tried the Metabones MK1v on the A711 and sent it back the same day, focus was horrible on most of the Canon L glass, 2-3 seconds most times at anything over 70mm

Started using the A7R2 at work today - it's not bad. Tricky to tell what's in and out of focus on the LCD though. Even zoomed in nothing seems that sharp.

A7R2 Wedding Photos by Albert Palmer, on Flickr

Are you shooting raw and JPG together? The preview on my Fuji is pretty poor unless you set it to store JPG files as well :)

Bayer mush is from the sensor losing half to 66% of the data by its design, and then post capture it fills in the gaps, but without sharpning itll look mushy and unsharp. Foveon and Leica monochrome wouldn't have the same issue...

on the video I watched last night tony northrup said dof is now razer thin as the sensors resolve so much

So I guess you did this with manual focus was it hand held what adapter did you use please?

Yes, manual focus, hand held.

I have an adapter from ciecio7 in Poland. It's solid and dependable. I had a couple of m4/3 adapters for different mounts from him for several years before moving to the A7.

He does another cheaper model without the built in tripod mount foot.

Last edited:
Yes, manual focus, hand held.

I have an adapter from ciecio7 in Poland. It's solid and dependable. I had a couple of m4/3 adapters for different mounts from him for several years before moving to the A7.

He does another cheaper model without the built in tripod mount foot.
Great pricing for the adapters unsure what way to go I do many shots in manual though even in the past usually had auto focus makes me ponder would I just miss the shot because my subject moved before I got correct focus

Really like the pricing looking on eBay most BIN prices are over £65 so you got a bargain and you have nailed focusing your lens

Cheers

Allan

Great pricing for the adapters unsure what way to go I do many shots in manual though even in the past usually had auto focus makes me ponder would I just miss the shot because my subject moved before I got correct focus

Really like the pricing looking on eBay most BIN prices are over £65 so you got a bargain and you have nailed focusing your lens

Cheers

Allan

Things do move, but then I don't have to worry about the camera choosing the wrong thing to focus on.

I did buy the 200mm a few years ago before FD prices started going back up a lot. Still have a fair collection of FD bodies to use it with, too.

Just for comparison, here's some Ring Tailed Lemurs taken a couple of weeks ago with the A7 and a 40 year old Canon FD 200mm f/4 SSC. I think the lens cost me about £25 :)

Ring Tailed Lemurs
by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Super work and without stabilisation. I have an old Canon 200mm F/2.8 SCC that I need to try (was worried about using it with a camera without IBS)

Yeah. Gotta admit every Bayer camera I've had a images look so soft straight ooc. Not.

Probably why everyone uses sigma cameras.

the camera applies sharpening ;), but on average a foveon/monochrome will give you abit under double the sharpness/detail, per resolution, so by extension bayer isnt pin sharp at 100%

the camera applies sharpening ;), but on average a foveon/monochrome will give you abit under double the sharpness/detail, per resolution, so by extension bayer isnt pin sharp at 100%

But its not mushy and it certainly isnt the OPs problem.

Good stuff Bert. I was hoping to ignore the A7Rii but, now i think about it, the silent shutter is quite compelling.

I think the silent shutter issue only applies with artificial light sources, and am fairly sure that I read that the same issue occurs on other cameras using the same system.

I think the silent shutter issue only applies with artificial light sources, and am fairly sure that I read that the same issue occurs on other cameras using the same system.

It's most likely due to the way that electronic shutters cause the sensor to read data under fluorescents or CFLs with shutter speeds above 1/100 sec, like this

http://photo.stackexchange.com/ques...hutter-speed-create-a-problem-with-color-cast

The 'movement' of the shutter is out of sync with the frequency of the light and the banding results

Keep the shutter speed at 1/100 or 1/50 (in the UK with 50 Hz AC) and you should be able to minimise or eliminate the effect

http://m43photo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/gh3-electronic-shutter.html?m=1

It's certainly not a problem restricted to the A7R2 or Sony. Video people can get moving bands or flicker in their shots.

It's possible to induce a similar issue with mechanical shutters (conventional DSLRs*) and even on film if you push the shutter to high enough speeds. It won't affect tungsten lit scenes, but those are becoming rarer these days.

Edit: * e.g. here with a Nikon Df

https://photographylife.com/light-frequency-issue

Last edited:
The issue with the silent shutter kind of defeats the benefit of having it.

I wouldn't say so, in natural light it's brilliant. As long as you are aware of its limitations and work around them it's a fantastic tool to have.

As others have mentioned it's not a Sony specific problem, until a true global shutter is out there those problems will always remain.

I wouldn't say so, in natural light it's brilliant. As long as you are aware of its limitations and work around them it's a fantastic tool to have.

As others have mentioned it's not a Sony specific problem, until a true global shutter is out there those problems will always remain.

Yup, roll on A7r mkiv

Yeah not complaining about it being a Sony specific problem.
Generally I find outdoor shooting the shutter noise is less of an issue. It's indoors that you truly would get the benefit of a silent shutter imo. And indoors you are more likely to have artificial light.
And therefore it isn't really fit for purpose for me.

Yeah not complaining about it being a Sony specific problem.
Generally I find outdoor shooting the shutter noise is less of an issue. It's indoors that you truly would get the benefit of a silent shutter imo. And indoors you are more likely to have artificial light.
And therefore it isn't really fit for purpose for me.

But in that case, there isn't a camera (with silent shutter) that is fit for purpose for you - is the Sony fit for purpose (for you) in other respects?

But in that case, there isn't a camera (with silent shutter) that is fit for purpose for you - is the Sony fit for purpose (for you) in other respects?

You hit the nail on the head. They nearly have it right, but not quite.
Yes it looks like a lovely bit of kit and a big improvement over my a7 and I'd like to see how it performs with my zeiss 55 on it. The reports of it struggling to focus in low light is a concern though, considering the cost of the camera.

The focusing in low light issue is a concern for me too, but only a play with the camera in those conditions will be the decider for me. There are way too many people on some forums who have never tried the cameras who drone on with negative opinions that are unjustified.
I have the original A7r and am very pleased with it, likewise the D800, and would have bought neither if I read some of the posts!

Last edited:
The focusing in low light issue is a concern for me too, but only a play with the camera in those conditions will be the decider for me. There are way too many people on some forums who have never tried the cameras with drone on with negative opinions that are unjustified.
I have the original A7r and am very pleased with it, likewise the D800, and would have bought neither if I read some of the posts!

True. This is just what I've picked up from reviews online/YouTube etc. I haven't used the camera myself (chance would be a fine thing). However the low light focusing on the a7 does often get me reaching for my Nikon.

Back