The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I didn't have time to go in there...

There were lots of people about, I had to clone two (no...three) out... clumsily...

Forget it.... Photobucket just wont play...

Last edited:
Finally went for it and picked up an A7 over the holidays. I've been shooting just film on my Leica M6 TTL for the last 5-6 years but become increasingly unhappy with the quality of developing I could get round here...and of course convenience!

Only had a chance for a quick stroll with it, but loving it so far. Great companion to my rangefinder glass, handles great on the A7. Not sure I'm going to be using the kit lens much....

This is with the 50 Summilux 1.4. I've also got a Voigtlander Nokton 35.14 and a Voigtlander 12mm ultra-wide.

DSC05536 by Chris Ashworth, on Flickr

Nice little set up :) I sold my Leitz Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 but can't bring myself to sell the Voigtlander 40/1.4 ;)

Allotment's... as captured by my A7 and old Minolta 50mm f1.2.

Pixel peeping the centre, bottom left and bottom right at 100%...

Last edited:
No, it's Saltburn in Cleveland heading from the beach towards the "Italian Gardens." There are some pictures from the same place on the previous page. The Italian Garden is maybe another couple of minutes walk from the spot the picture was taken.

No, it's Saltburn in Cleveland heading from the beach towards the "Italian Gardens." ...
It reminds me of a similar 'Grecian shrine' down by the river below Durham cathedral.
It looks like there was a spate of odd building in Victorian times along those lines.
I love the gardens at Saltburn.
We like to walk from Skelton through the woods then through the gardens to Saltburn beach.
It was even better when Ha'penny bridge existed.

It's quiet in here... Where is everyone?

I'm laid up with a heavy cold so no chance of getting out with my camera so I'm just playing with recent shots. A7 with Minolta 50mm f1.2...

100% crops from the bottom left and bottom right of this one follow...

Bottom Left...

Bottom Right...

I'm often surprised by the quality you can get from these old cheap lenses :D

I've decided that I quite like this one (I posted it a page or two back.) It's just a simple little shot but I just like it :D

Last edited:
PS.
On the subject of old cheap lenses as I'm laid up with an extremely bad case of Man Flu (a very serious condition indeed) I've been looking at what the old cheap lenses I have are going for on evil bay and they're not so cheap any more. The popularity of CSC is obviously pushing prices up but I'm sure that bargains can still be found and anyone with unused old lenses at the back of a cupboard could sell them for a pretty penny.

It takes nice photos and really its your fault the Sony is here, getting me back into mirrorless :)

Was that your plan? Did your toe in the mirrorless world with a cheap setup before deciding to plunge further in?

It was the G1 that convinced me that my future was mirrorless. As I may have mentioned that humble G1 gave my Canon 5D a good scare at a fraction of the weight. I did have the GF1 before the G1 but I didn't have the love for the GF1 that I had for the G1 as couldn't get on with back screen shooting.

Here's hoping you get on with your A7. What model did you get and what lens/lenses?

lol no i was just being jokey when i said it was a nice surprise.yes the idea was to see how i felt about it and i decided to take the plunge, almost got an Olympus Em511 but a mad moment saw me purchase the A7Mk1,
I feel this should do me fine for the foreseeable :) the A7R i didn't fancy and a couple things I've read put me off the 2,and can't afford the 11R lol. i did think about just going body only but for another £150 i thought i would get the kit 28-70 to get me started despite Them Hogans
review, he does recommend the A7 against the A7 ii funnily enough

I really can't fault the kit lens at all.

I keep thinking that I'll use mine but I never seem to get around to it. When I'm out by myself I seem to reach for the old manual lenses and when I'm with GF or anyone else I tend to stick to the Sony FE 35mm f2.8. I have often thought though that a standard range zoom and a fast prime would cover almost everything for me, well, and a macro too.

I think that one issue A7 v A7II is the grip and placement of the shutter button but personally I don't seem to have a problem so the A7 is fine for me.

Last edited:
Ive only got dinky hands so it suits me fine. :)

once I've got used to it i no doubt will be asking for a bit of advice re lenses etc :)

Oh well, if we get snow that might make for some nice shots.

Took a few shots on the weekend, mostly with the 50 Summilux but a few on the kit lens.The kit lens is fine, my only real complaint is that you have a nice metal solid feeling body with a horrible plastic thing on the front :p

Really itching to get the Sony 28 F2 , need to shift my M6 or 12mm first though

Haven't taken mine out for a while, partly the weather, partly got other projects on the go (namely building a home climbing wall - which I shot a terrible time lapse of...).

Still want a macro lens, still don't have the money.

Still haven't finished editing Canada photos from September!

Why don't we see many original A7 in the for-sale section??

You mean the Fuji for sale section? It might as well be called that looking at the back and forwards trading that goes on in Fuji land. Interesting to see Fuji converts changing their mind and going back to Nikon etc too. Maybe A7 users are a bit more settled.

I've noticed that there seem to be quite a few A7 series owners who never post in this thread and in the non forum real world there's probably a few more. I suppose checking the for sale and sold listings on evil bay might give an idea of the traffic numbers but I suspect that A7 and indeed Fuji sales are surpassed by some other kit. Doesn't the A6000 sell in big numbers?

We should be getting down to planning a trip to Thailand soon, that just might mean some nice weather to use my A7 in :D rather than the drabness of northern England.

Last edited:
I've noticed that there seem to be quite a few A7 series owners who never post in this thread and in the non forum real world there's probably a few more. I suppose checking the for sale and sold listings on evil bay might give an idea of the traffic numbers but I suspect that A7 and indeed Fuji sales are surpassed by some other kit. Doesn't the A6000 sell in big numbers?

Been a while since I posted anything :)

Today I managed 2nd place on #WexMondays with this image (taken on A7r & Sony 24-240mm), so that was a nice surprise
31168663093_b075e7cbca_c.jpg

I'm thinking of getting a new bag made. Might cost a bit but I have an idea...

Way back when I got my first soft top at the age of 21, an MG Midget, I got a leather jacket to keep me warm on the cold days because obviously I went everywhere with the top down. I collected a few more leather jackets over the years but I haven't worn one for donkeys so I had an idea to get a camera bag made from a couple of them so I could keep a little memory of them and those days. One jacket in particular was a present so although I'll never wear it again I'd like to keep some of it as a bag :D

Does that sound daft?

I'll have to find a bag maker.

There's a small company somewhere on the Northumberland coast that makes bags out of jackets, and other stuff of course.
Prices are OK.
One of our local gift/hat shops stocks them, I shall ask the wife what they are called ...

Give 'em your jacket and bingo!!

(Google is so weak these days, we'll pop into the shop and have another look at the label ...)

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting a new bag made. Might cost a bit but I have an idea...

Way back when I got my first soft top at the age of 21, an MG Midget, I got a leather jacket to keep me warm on the cold days because obviously I went everywhere with the top down. I collected a few more leather jackets over the years but I haven't worn one for donkeys so I had an idea to get a camera bag made from a couple of them so I could keep a little memory of them and those days. One jacket in particular was a present so although I'll never wear it again I'd like to keep some of it as a bag :D

Does that sound daft?

I'll have to find a bag maker.

I just wanna see a photo of you in your leather jacket with the top down.

There's a small company somewhere on the Northumberland coast that makes bags out of jackets, and other stuff of course.
Prices are OK.
One of our local gift/hat shops stocks them, I shall ask the wife what they are called ...

Give 'em your jacket and bingo!!

(Google is so weak these days, we'll pop into the shop and have another look at the label ...)
Wonderful :D

A bit...scary... and makes me think of "The midnight meat train" oh er... but I still like it :D

and STOP POSTING A6000 pictures as I want one!!!!!!

Unfortunately I have too much MFT gear to switch.

Back