The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm currently toying with the idea of trying out an A7. I've just sold my Fuji X-T2 but still have a collection of Fuji glass which will all be put to the side for a while.
I've really not been using any camera enough to justify having such a collection of gear.

My thoughts are to get an A7 with the 28-70 kit lens and my intention would be to use the body mainly with legacy lenses but have the 28-70 for an AF option. Having looked at the price of the Sony lenses I think they are priced high enough to stop my GAS taking over and I could limit myself to legacy lenses or maybe 7artisans or Samyang,

Thoughts please:)

I'm currently toying with the idea of trying out an A7. I've just sold my Fuji X-T2 but still have a collection of Fuji glass which will all be put to the side for a while.
I've really not been using any camera enough to justify having such a collection of gear.

My thoughts are to get an A7 with the 28-70 kit lens and my intention would be to use the body mainly with legacy lenses but have the 28-70 for an AF option. Having looked at the price of the Sony lenses I think they are priced high enough to stop my GAS taking over and I could limit myself to legacy lenses or maybe 7artisans or Samyang,

Having owned both the original A7 and recently the Fuji XT-2, the XT-2's AF system is way ahead of the Sony A7's system for AF-C (tracking). Why the move? Are you looking for that FF look?

Having owned both the original A7 and recently the Fuji XT-2, the XT-2's AF system is way ahead of the Sony A7's system for AF-C (tracking). Why the move? Are you looking for that FF look?

Yes I realise it will be a slower experience, which really shouldn't make any difference for the type of shots I usually take. Not sure if it will be a move or just a slight detour before going back to Fuji (hence holding onto the lenses for the moment)
I sold the X-T2 because it wasn't getting used enough to justify the money tied up in it, and for the occasions it was used an X-T1 would have done the job. Over the past year 95% of my shooting has been done on the X100F.
It's not even the "FF Look" that attracts me it's more to do with using legacy glass at it's intended focal length. I very much enjoyed using legacy lenses on an X-Pro1 via a lens turbo II but image quality wasn't as good as it could have been and not all lenses could be used with it.

This is what I originally thought so I went for the A7 and kit lens when they first came out but so far I haven't used the 28-70mm outside of the house and garden. Maybe you can have a think about if you'd really use the zoom? It does seem to be an excellent kit lens though.

Legacy lens wise I just went for the mass market Minolta Rokkor, Olympus Zuiko and Canon FD and all are ok. I use Novoflex adapters which are around the £100 sort of range but I do have to say that the cheap evil bay adapters costing from under £10 and up seem perfectly fine.

I think that some people start out with adapted lenses but migrate to native lenses at some point. I'm probably in a minority in that I think that some in not all of the Sony lenses are actually reasonably priced for what they are :D The 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 I have are IMO both excellent world class lenses and worth the money and others such as the 28mm and 85mm f1.8 look good too and of course there are native lenses from Samyang and the like with the possibility of Sigma lenses in the future.

I still only have four native lenses, the 28-70mm which remains almost unused, the 35mm f2.8, 55,, f1.8 and the excellent Voigtlander 40mm f1.2.

Good luck if you decide to go this way. If you (like me) want to use legacy lenses at their original FoV the A7 range is pretty much it at the mo.

Last edited:
I've just received my latest old lens :D

It's a 35mm f2.8 HG Rokkor. I mostly have the newer MD's which seem to have better coating and maybe give a touch more contrast and are maybe more resistant to flare. The appeal of the older lenses for me is that they give an older look and they're just beautifully made. This is only the third of these older lenses I've had and it's in pretty much perfect condition, it must have mostly just sat in a drawer. It came with both end caps and a hood, all look good as new.

I've been very happy with the similar 55mm f1.7 I have and I'm hoping this 35mm gives a similar look :D

If these lenses could mount straight to a FF camera or if someone would make a FE version that would I'd be very very happy.

Last edited:
Now I'm getting confused looking at cheap adapters.......

I've spent the morning watching/reading various things on the A7 & A7II and obviously the IBIS on the II would be a bonus with legacy lenses. However I've just had a quick look on Amazon at adapters the brand I usually stick to is K&F and this one says it will work with the A7 but not the A7II. Whereas the much cheaper Neewer one here says it will work with both, What do I need to look for / look out for?

I've read that A7/A7II difference too but can't comment.

One thing I do know to watch for is that some adapters for the APS-C Nex range will get in the way with lenses wider than 28mm on FF.

I've spent the morning watching/reading various things on the A7 & A7II and obviously the IBIS on the II would be a bonus with legacy lenses. However I've just had a quick look on Amazon at adapters the brand I usually stick to is K&F and this one says it will work with the A7 but not the A7II. Whereas the much cheaper Neewer one here says it will work with both, What do I need to look for / look out for?

ideally one that has some sort of felt inside to prevent light reflections creeping in

I have the same K&Fadaptor for MD and it works fine with the A7riii/A7r.

(PS will also have my A7r for sale soon)

I also need to sing the praises of these Meike all metal extension tubes , they work really well and unlike my last set I bought (plastic) the pins are still firmly in place. They also look really good, could only be better if they where orange.

I've never missed IBIS/stabilisation with the original A7 & legacy lenses. As said, make sure the adaptor is suitable for the A7/Full Frame!! I've also only ever used cheap dumb adaptors & never had any fitting/quality issues either.

I started off on legacy lenses & the FE55. Didn't get on with that lens at all!! Swapped it for a FE35/2.8 in the end which has lasted a few years now. I've got Yashica lenses, 28, 50, 50, Tokina 28-70, Canon FD 28, 50, 85, Voigtlander 40/1.4......... I AM going to be getting shot of a lot of them soon though because I don't have the time to go out phototaking on my own so much. More 'family' type days out so I've just ordered a kit 28-70OSS to try for that purpose. I'm also probably going to swap the Batis 85 out too.

I'm hoping my new line up with be A7, 28-70 purely for hiking/days out, FE85 & the FE35 (which I may replace with the Sigma FE35/1.4? WHEN it's finally available.......

Took the tentative plunge. Managed to talk myself back down through the range, after considering the A7II I then started looking at the A7RII but gave myself a slap at that point. The A7 will allow me to see if I can get on with a Sony. Expect either a stream of questions tomorrow or some random pictures of various crap on my coffee table:D

Fuji lenses all kept ready for the change back :exit:

What new Sony gear are you guys looking to purchase this year? For me nothing. I will save up for the 400mm F2.8 lens that I will try purchasing next year

What new Sony gear are you guys looking to purchase this year? For me nothing. I will save up for the 400mm F2.8 lens that I will try purchasing next year

I'll take a look at the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 when it comes out and any other fastish 35/50mm lenses. Other than that I think I have more than enough gear but a wide zoom and an 85mm f1.8 would always be welcome and looooooong lens is something I always fancy but never buy :D

The weather here is miserable, wet mist, a featureless white grey sky and I can't see the hill at all and it's just a miserable dull dull dull day :(

PS.
I very nearly ordered the Laowa 15mm f2 the other day.

Last edited:
If I stick with my A7 I'm going to take a look at the AF performance of the Samyang 35/2.8 in lower light. If it's any good I may get one to replace my manual lenses but if it's not I'll stick with manual. I wouldn't mind a longer lens for zoo visits but nothing extreme.

This year I'm going to be more focused on building/delivering my large format Chroma camera following the Kickstarter campaign so digital shooting may take a back seat.

I’ve just got the Zeiss 35mm 2.8 so looking forward to having a go with that! Would love the 55mm 1.8 and will see what sigma bring.

I think you'll like it :D It's an excellent lens and makes a very compact camera and lens combination.

The 55mm f1.8 is very very good :D

Hopefully nothing for me this year..... I keep looking at the 100-400mm GM sometimes though :D

Hi guys,

just narrowing down the lens selection to pair with the A7R III that I'm looking to get:

has anyone got any experience with this lens

Sony FE PZ 28-135mm f/4 G OSS

Seems to have some good comments/reviews but would be could if anyone has taken any pictures with it to get an idea of IQ.

Hi guys,

just narrowing down the lens selection to pair with the A7R III that I'm looking to get:

Seems to have some good comments/reviews but would be could if anyone has taken any pictures with it to get an idea of IQ.

You have seen the price right? I think it' mainly targeted at video users.

Hi guys,

It’s intended for video use.
Should be plenty of reviews on YouTube for it.

So in other words, you've had no experience using this Lens? Thanks for your opinion.

I've just found this as the first review;

https://www.cinema5d.com/sony-28-135mm-review-cine-zoom-lens/

Apart from being huge (that's a 95mm front element), it's also fully motorised so you can't zoom manually and has a de-clicked aperture, which may or may not be an issue for you.

With regards to Twists' comments, I do tend to agree if you're a stills shooter more than video. It's a very large, heavy (1.2kG) expensive lens which doesn't offer a particularly fast aperture and isn't particularly wide either. I'm sure it's an excellent cine lens if that's a larger priority for you.

Last edited:
I've just found this as the first review;

https://www.cinema5d.com/sony-28-135mm-review-cine-zoom-lens/

Apart from being huge (that's a 95mm front element), it's also fully motorised so you can't zoom manually and has a de-clicked aperture, which may or may not be an issue for you.

With regards to Twists' comments, I do tend to agree if you're a stills shooter more than video. It's a very large, heavy (1.2kG) expensive lens which doesn't offer a particularly fast aperture and isn't particularly wide either. I'm sure it's an excellent cine lens if that's a larger priority for you.

Ok thanks, looks more megaphone less lens. That would not be overly an issue but the inability to quickly zoom in/out restricted by a servo is going to be a deal breaker for me.

The A7ii/7rii/7sii have metal mounts, with closer tolerances than the earlier model's plastic mounts. K&F have subsequently said that they can't guarantee the fit on newer cameras. However, I have three different K&F adapters (M42, Minolta MD and Pentax K) that I bought for the A7s, and they all work fine on the A7rii.

I think you'll like it :D It's an excellent lens and makes a very compact camera and lens combination.

The 55mm f1.8 is very very good :D

I have these two as well and have just treated myself to the new 24mm - 105mm. All are excellent lenses.. Already eying up the 85mm F1.8.... Resist resist :)

Hi guys,

24-240mm might be a good option?

24-240mm might be a good option?

I have the 24-240mm, think it's underrated as a one lens solution, quality is ok, but the flexibility of having 24-240 covers most situations. I have a small Manfrotto holster that fits perfectly my A7r and 24-240.

Heres a sample
36876881480_3826db7897_c.jpg

Wow I haven't posted on here for ages :)

Last edited:
Back