The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

For a private sale, £550 tops on a good day.
But first find your 24-105mm. There still aren't any available from the major retailers.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the remote function via Smart Phone / Wireless for the A7R III - it's brilliant!

Me being the lazy person I am can now setup a baiting environment for a few birds, stack the camera on a tripod and then just take shots while sitting in the comfort of my home peering out of the window.

Maybe watch some Jeremy Kyle while I'm at it.

Has anyone tried the remote function via Smart Phone / Wireless for the A7R III - it's brilliant!

Me being the lazy person I am can now setup a baiting environment for a few birds, stack the camera on a tripod and then just take shots while sitting in the comfort of my home peering out of the window.

Maybe watch some Jeremy Kyle while I'm at it.

A show that makes me feel good about myself :D

My thoughts are to get an A7 with the 28-70 kit lens and my intention would be to use the body mainly with legacy lenses but have the 28-70 for an AF option. Having looked at the price of the Sony lenses I think they are priced high enough to stop my GAS taking over and I could limit myself to legacy lenses or maybe 7artisans or Samyang,

So that worked as planned! :oops: :$:oops: :$

2018-02-08 15.31.28.jpg

Now who wants to sell a 70-200f4 and a A7RII??

Well the final lens of my planned trio turned up today,the 35mm F2.8 so along with the 50mm F1.8 and 85mm F1.8 thats me complete for now.
I've dropped the idea of going longer as adapting my Nikon 300mm F4.5 IFED (yep the sharp one) showed me I really need 400mm + for that and it would take a lottery win to achieve! I 'm currently using some Meike metal extension tubes for macro, so may grab the 90mm F2.8 at some point.

How much are 24-70 f4 lenses going for second hand. Thinking of changing mine for the 24-105 seems to be a no brainer.

There doesn't seem to be much interest at the moment, and there are no bids over £450 for the 24-70 f4 on that auction site.

I am considering that lens, or maybe like you the 24-105!

There doesn't seem to be much interest at the moment, and there are no bids over £450 for the 24-70 f4 on that auction site.

I am considering that lens, or maybe like you the 24-105!

I think the Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f4 was criticized a lot when it came to price vs performance, if you take the price out of the picture it wasnt a bad lens providing you had a good copy.
The example I owned was pretty decent, however it was no way worth the £849 price tag.

I think the Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f4 was criticized a lot when it came to price vs performance, if you take the price out of the picture it wasnt a bad lens providing you had a good copy.
The example I owned was pretty decent, however it was no way worth the £849 price tag.
Agreed, my copy was also pretty good. Being an early adopter of the system I did pay way too much, and I got £400 in part ex☹️
I am now looking for the same range again and thought there would be a cheaper third party option by now, I may end up looking for a bargain f4 version yet

Agreed, my copy was also pretty good. Being an early adopter of the system I did pay way too much, and I got £400 in part ex☹️
I am now looking for the same range again and thought there would be a cheaper third party option by now, I may end up looking for a bargain f4 version yet
If you could stretch to the 24-105mm f4 version that would be my choice out of the two, but then £££ becomes a factor.
I think Sony could have another go at a 24-70mm f4 version under their Sony G range.

Photos of the Fuji X-H1 have been leaked, surprisingly the body appears to look bigger than the Sony A9. :eek:

What's this? A new mini SLR APS-C Fuji?

Anyway... there are those who think that cameras should be bigger than the smaller SLR style CSC's have been to date for real handling reasons or maybe just machismo so I suppose increases in size are to be expected. I prefer the smaller bodied cameras myself and so far haven't had any serious handling issues that'd make me want a bigger camera.

What's this? A new mini SLR APS-C Fuji?

Anyway... there are those who think that cameras should be bigger than the smaller SLR style CSC's have been to date for real handling reasons or maybe just machismo so I suppose increases in size are to be expected. I prefer the smaller bodied cameras myself and so far haven't had any serious handling issues that'd make me want a bigger camera.

Its basically a Fuji X-T2 but with build in IBIS, top LCD screen but no EV dial. Other improvements include better AF system.

Its basically a Fuji X-T2 but with build in IBIS, top LCD screen but no EV dial. Other improvements include better AF system.

Looks like the Panasonic. Not keen that the exposure dial has gone in favour of an lcd. Hopefully the x-t3 won’t follow that design path.

So as nobody posted them... looks cool. Liking the LCD, I never use exp comp.

Shame its going to be an x trans and not bayer. That grip will be nice, esp for zoomage people.

Fujifilm-X-H1-Front-720x499.jpg

Fujifilm-X-H1-Side.jpg

Fujifilm-X-H1-Top-720x423.jpg

Last edited:
So as nobody posted them... looks cool. Liking the LCD, I never use exp comp.

Shame its going to be an x trans and not bayer. That grip will be nice, esp for zoomage people.

Fujifilm-X-H1-Front-720x499.jpg

Fujifilm-X-H1-Side.jpg

Fujifilm-X-H1-Top-720x423.jpg

Same or similar lcd as the gfx.
Not sure why the Q button has been moved.

Too early to say but the 85 looks promising.
I second this. I went for the 85 1.8 over the G master and really can't believe how good it is.

Amazing sharpness and the AF on the A9 is amazing with it

Looks like the Panasonic. Not keen that the exposure dial has gone in favour of an lcd. Hopefully the x-t3 won’t follow that design path.
I know some see a top lcd as an advantage but I don't care about it and would rather have a dial. I suppose a top lcd will appeal to dslr users moving over.

I heard Sony are about to buy Fuji... so when they do we'll see a even more Fuji talk in here...

PS.
Some of that may not be absolutely true :D
Stranger things have happened, never say never

Tempting - very tempting. Seems so hard to get. Wonder where the greys will price it

Currently the grey's tend to be more, £1150 at Panamoz - very hard to get but most of the big UK places are expecting stock in the next 2 weeks.
I'm off to Amsterdam on Wed so might have a look for stock over there!

Nope, big daddy woof allows all sorts these days

Not that I allow... I'm not God... yet.

My intention was anything else Sony such as the A6xxx series as many of us seem to have them or at least have an interest in them and they can use the same lenses but as this is THE best thread on this site I suppose we have to mention other lesser brands from time to time if only to make ourselves feel even more superior.

:D

A couple from the beach the other day.

A7 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2.

I took about three of these from different angles and heights but I think I'm happiest with this one, the sand looked like thousands of footprints :D

1-DSC09163.jpg

The scene looked lovely and sunny but cold and Mrs woof woof wanted a couple of pictures to send to family overseas...

DSC09152.jpg

100% from that.

DSC09152-C.jpg

DSC09154-N.jpg

And 100% again.

DSC09154-N-c.jpg

:D

A last couple from the beach, it was so nice to be there and have some light and colour even though it was very cold. So often when we're there there's complete cloud cover and dead light.

A7 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2.

1-DSC09161.jpg

1-DSC09171.jpg

I'm looking forward to trying the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

Last edited:
Back