The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Not good folks, looking at the top level forum, our Sony thread has a Fuji photo on it. :D lol
IMG_0112.jpg

Opinions on the Batis 18mm? Returned the 16-35 GM, nice lens but thought it was pants at 35mm, couldn't get it exchanged so took the cash back.
Probably just going down a route of a few primes and a 24-105 (once i can get one!).
Could just buy another Loxia but the 18mm Batis seems to get great reviews and that extra 3mm might make all the difference some times!

Opinions on the Batis 18mm? Returned the 16-35 GM, nice lens but thought it was pants at 35mm, couldn't get it exchanged so took the cash back.
Probably just going down a route of a few primes and a 24-105 (once i can get one!).
Could just buy another Loxia but the 18mm Batis seems to get great reviews and that extra 3mm might make all the difference some times!

haven't used it but have only read excellent things about it.

My experience with all ultrawide zooms, especially 2.8s is that they deteriorate quite abit at the long end. I've had loads of them over the years and the only one that was usable at the long end was the Nikon 17-35 2.8

I generally only used them at their widest focal length so opted to only used ultrawide primes going forward

Last edited by a moderator:

Was looking to buy the 16-35 - what was wrong with it at 35mm?

Was looking to buy the 16-35 - what was wrong with it at 35mm?

It was just noticeably less sharp than the rest of the zoom range, although I suspect it was down to the normal Sony variation in lenses, one copy is excellent the next not so good.
I'd probably have just swapped it but stock is quite scare currently and for £2300 I didn't want to risk another one having the same issue.

Advice needed -

Currently have - 16-35mm F4, 28-70mm (kit lens), Zeiss 35mm 2.8, Beercan 70-210 f4.

Thinking of selling every one of them and going for the:

24-104mm F4 (Sony FE mount), 20mm FD 2.8, 50mm FD 1.8

Main focus on landscape for the time being. 16mm is wider than I like to shoot but not sure how good the 20mm FD 2.8 is!

Would you do it?

Advice needed -

Currently have - 16-35mm F4, 28-70mm (kit lens), Zeiss 35mm 2.8, Beercan 70-210 f4.

Main focus on landscape for the time being. 16mm is wider than I like to shoot but not sure how good the 20mm FD 2.8 is!

Would you do it?

If you are still planning to do weddings that 16mm will come in handy. Keep it.

Very much so - good point, cheers.

I mean I could push the boat out and go for 16-35mm + 24-105mm. :sneaky:

It’s the best lens in your bag so keep that and build around it.

Wide is sorted.

Something for low light, something medium range and something long.

So could go 16-35mm f4, 55mm 1.8, 24-105mm f4 and 70-200mm f4.

It’s the best lens in your bag so keep that and build around it.

Wide is sorted.

Something for low light, something medium range and something long.

So could go 16-35mm f4, 55mm 1.8, 24-105mm f4 and 70-200mm f4.

True - though if I was going down that route I’d probably not bother with the 24-105mm and just get the other three - can’t see me using much between 35-55 or 55-70 to be honest!

Good suggestions though!

My experience with old wide angle lenses is pretty limited as I've only had two but from that small sample :D I'd happy buy another as long as I didn't expect an old lens to match a modern one. Older lenses tend to be good enough in the centre and acceptable stopped down a bit across the frame but not up to the standard of modern lenses in the corners and at wider apertures. Having said that they'll very likely be easily good enough for even a large print full image viewed normally.

The Canon FD 20 seems to be one of the better legacy wide angles but i doubt it will hold a candle to the 16-35.... Generally any legacy lens wider than about 24-28mmis going to be lacking compared to a more modern E mount lens.

That said I've just picked up an M mount Voigtlander 28mm Ultron f2 so will see how that goes!

Looking at picking up an A7 in the next few weeks.

Im just wondering if there is any "Do it all" lenses that people recommend? I am taking a trip to Nepal next month so a mix of landscapes and portraits really. I was looking at the 18-105 F4 G OSS. But I could be persuaded to buy 2 lenses, a prime and a zoom maybe? Dont want to spend much either which probably doesn't help the cause!

Im just wondering if there is any "Do it all" lenses that people recommend? I am taking a trip to Nepal next month so a mix of landscapes and portraits really. I was looking at the 18-105 F4 G OSS. But I could be persuaded to buy 2 lenses, a prime and a zoom maybe? Dont want to spend much either which probably doesn't help the cause!

i think the 18-105 is designed for the crop sensor mount.
for a mix of landscape and portraits you probably need to consider:

24-70 f4
24-70 f2.8
24-105 f4

budget may be an issue thought.

At lot depends on how you like to shoot. If you want a general zoom then possibly the 24-105 f4 (sony or Sigma) and maybe the Samyang 14mm f2.8 for wide angle. Personally I rarely shoot at the higher end and use a Sony 16-35 f4 along with a 55mm f1.8 for general every day. The 55mm fits nicely into a pocket :) An option to reduce the cost is to look at second hand as you can save a fair few quid that way

Out of interest but what is drawing you to the A7? A lot of people seem to be getting drawn to the A7 due to the low cost of the body and offers. Whilst it is tempting, make sure you research the lenses you would want as Sony aren’t the cheapest,

I like the idea of a full frame "compact" camera really. Haven't really dont much shooting for the past 10 years when I had a Nikon d50! You seem to be able to pick up a body for £500 odd as well which seems like a decent price, missed a few under £500 though! Slowly realising the Sony's aren't that cheep!

Second hand is definitely the way forward and to be honest im not sure I would use 70mm+ apart from this trip but having not actively shot for so long im almost not sure if I will need that at all!

I like the idea of a full frame "compact" camera really. Haven't really dont much shooting for the past 10 years when I had a Nikon d50! You seem to be able to pick up a body for £500 odd as well which seems like a decent price, missed a few under £500 though! Slowly realising the Sony's aren't that cheep!

Second hand is definitely the way forward and to be honest im not sure I would use 70mm+ apart from this trip but having not actively shot for so long im almost not sure if I will need that at all!

As a thought if you picked up a second hand 24-105, you could probably sell it when you got back without losing anything. Almost like a free rental :)

To give you a cost comparison, I think I paid about £1300 for the 16-35 f4 and 55 f1.8 (the 50mm is a bit cheaper). MPB have the 24-70 f4 for £570 at the moment, add this to the Samyang 14mm f2.8 (manual focus) and you’re covered for under £1k

I am taking a trip to Nepal next month so a mix of landscapes and portraits really. I was looking at the 18-105 F4 G OSS. But I could be persuaded to buy 2 lenses, a prime and a zoom maybe? Dont want to spend much either which probably doesn't help the cause!

I only take one lens on holiday and it's a compact and reasonably fast prime. In my DSLR days it was a 50mm f1.4 Sigma on my 5D but these days although I have the Sony 55mm f1.8 it's the 35mm f2.8 that's more often on my A7. I also take a more compact camera with a zoom for use in good light for the wider and longer pictures and for when even a relatively small A7 is too intrusive. In the past this second camera has been MFT or a compact but I now have a 1" sensor camera with a zoom that's I think the equivalent of 25-250mm.

Dunno if you'd be happy with just one lens or with two cameras but the alternative is taking more than one lens and changing it on the go. I change lenses all the time when on trips out from home but if doing so away from home I'd want the ability to be able to test and clean the sensor.

The 24-105mm gets a good review...

Rumor site...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/24-105mm-fe-review-opticallimits-superior-canon-nikon/#disqus_thread

What they say...

"Overall the Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS is an obvious choice in the Sony lineup. It may not be able to touch the center quality of the Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM but the border quality is surprisingly high for such a lens – at least when stopping down to f/5.6. Lateral CAs are moderate. The quality of the bokeh is quite good for a lens within its scope.

The Sony lens isn’t flawless but just to provide a framework for comparison – it is superior to both the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 USM L IS II and Nikkor AF-S 24-120mm f/4G VR. So it’s certainly a lens we can recommend to Sony FE users."

Direct to the review...

http://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff/1034-sony24105f4goss

That's nice :D

The 24-105mm gets a good review...

Rumor site...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/24-105mm-fe-review-opticallimits-superior-canon-nikon/#disqus_thread

What they say...

"Overall the Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS is an obvious choice in the Sony lineup. It may not be able to touch the center quality of the Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM but the border quality is surprisingly high for such a lens – at least when stopping down to f/5.6. Lateral CAs are moderate. The quality of the bokeh is quite good for a lens within its scope.

The Sony lens isn’t flawless but just to provide a framework for comparison – it is superior to both the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 USM L IS II and Nikkor AF-S 24-120mm f/4G VR. So it’s certainly a lens we can recommend to Sony FE users."

Direct to the review...

http://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff/1034-sony24105f4goss

That's nice :D
geting one?

All of the film SLR's where compact FF

I own the A7r2 and A9. I use the 18-105 solely as video lens in the super 35 mode on both bodies, it's definitely not really suggested for stills on an A7 although it is capable of doing so at a lower resolution and apsc field of view

Does anyone have any experience of the 21mm ultrawide adapter for the Sony 28mm f2? If so what are your thoughts ?

geting one?

I think the chances of me getting one are absolutely positively zero :D

I'm sure it's a very good lens but typically I use a prime in the 24-85mm range and more likely a 35 or 50mm :D

I can see the advantage of these lenses and in fact years ago I had a 28-300mm and I took pictures with that lens that I still look at and like but these days I like to keep it simple and compact with a 35 or 50mm :D

You getting one?

I was very impressed with the 24-105 but sent it back when a used 24-70 was available.

I'm in in the Amazon preorder now though at £1066, there does seem to be an "iffy" batch of these though, lengthy thread over at another forum where most of the newer ones seem to have a severe focus shift issue.

Advice needed -

Would you do it?

Out of interest Tom, how good is the Beercan?
Looking for something in the 100-200/300 range but not for anything more than landscaping so AF speed isn't important. Been considering a Contax Zeiss 100-300 which is all Manual Focus but seems to be legendary!

I was very impressed with the 24-105 but sent it back when a used 24-70 was available.

I'm in in the Amazon preorder now though at £1066, there does seem to be an "iffy" batch of these though, lengthy thread over at another forum where most of the newer ones seem to have a severe focus shift issue.

It seems if you have a 24-105 lens with a serial number starting with 180 then you are ok... if it starts with 181 then there seem to be issues, though not all affected... Fortunately mine starts with 180 and I cant detect any issues...

Yeah I’m guessing a easy £10k + piece of glass. :eek:
It's got to be. The Canon version is £9,500 and the Nikon version is £10,500. Personally I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this one was £12,000.

What's more interesting is when we think it might be in the shops. Anyone?

It's got to be. The Canon version is £9,500 and the Nikon version is £10,500. Personally I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this one was £12,000.

What's more interesting is when we think it might be in the shops. Anyone?

I’d say September 2018. :)

Back