The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Interesting he's taped the logos over in that photo? You would've thought Sony would like some hype about their lenses no?

It seems if you have a 24-105 lens with a serial number starting with 180 then you are ok... if it starts with 181 then there seem to be issues, though not all affected... Fortunately mine starts with 180 and I cant detect any issues...
Phew! Mine's 1804....

Looking at picking up an A7 in the next few weeks.

Im just wondering if there is any "Do it all" lenses that people recommend? I am taking a trip to Nepal next month so a mix of landscapes and portraits really. I was looking at the 18-105 F4 G OSS. But I could be persuaded to buy 2 lenses, a prime and a zoom maybe? Dont want to spend much either which probably doesn't help the cause!

I just picked up a 28-70OSS solely for walking/hiking landscapes..... Seems sharp enough for me so far on an A7. £200 used & about 300grams!!

My usual/favourite kit is the FE85 & FE35/2.8 - waiting on that Sigma 35mm still!!!

geting one?

I mentioned to Mrs Woof Woof that there's a new lens coming out that'd fit my camera and it's going to be about £10k and she asked me if I'd like one (she's looking for something for my birthday) :D which is what she also said when I told her about the A9 :D

Even though I'd never consider buying a £10k lens and will probably never spend what an A9 costs on a camera and would never let her spend that much on a prezzie for me it gives me a nice warm glow to think that the Mrs would spend that much on me :D

Out of interest Tom, how good is the Beercan?
Looking for something in the 100-200/300 range but not for anything more than landscaping so AF speed isn't important. Been considering a Contax Zeiss 100-300 which is all Manual Focus but seems to be legendary!

Embarrassingly I haven't even had chance to use it yet due to not having sourced an adapter. Hear good things about it though!

I mentioned to Mrs Woof Woof that there's a new lens coming out that'd fit my camera and it's going to be about £10k and she asked me if I'd like one (she's looking for something for my birthday) :D which is what she also said when I told her about the A9 :D

Even though I'd never consider buying a £10k lens and will probably never spend what an A9 costs on a camera and would never let her spend that much on a prezzie for me it gives me a nice warm glow to think that the Mrs would spend that much on me :D
For half the price you could grab a a7r3 and 70-200 F2.8 lens hehe

For half the price you could grab a a7r3 and 70-200 F2.8 lens hehe

It's my fault for winding her up at Xmas. I told her I wanted socks and that's what she got me whilst I surprised her with something shiny and expensive :D I keep reminding her what I bought her and that she only bought me socks and she's felt ashamed ever since (I think it's an Asian thing) and wants to buy me something nice :D

if my Mrs offered to buy me a £10k lens i'd certainly say yes. its my birthday in April..

if my Mrs offered to buy me a £10k lens i'd certainly say yes. its my birthday in April..

The thing is that my money is now hers and hers is now mine and it's all ours :D and although I'm flattered she'd spend her money on me I'm not so happy at the thought of so much of our money being spent on camera gear.

I'll be happy enough with my Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 when it arrives and plenty of people wouldn't spend what that costs on camera gear :D

Mostly I'm happy to get a new old lens for under £100 :D

I'm currently hovering over the bid button on evil bay for a nice old lens :D

Last edited:
I don't believe this is anything new, the Sony performs better than the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 but falls slightly short of the Canon's 24-70mm f2.8 lens for sharpness. That has always been the case (check DxO).
In reality the Sony 24-70mm f2.8 GM is sharp enough and can rival some primes when tested in isolation in real world situations.

I don't believe this is anything new, the Sony performs better than the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 but falls slightly short of the Canon's 24-70mm f2.8 lens for sharpness. That has always been the case (check DxO).
In reality the Sony 24-70mm f2.8 GM is sharp enough and can rival some primes when tested in isolation in real world situations.

not that his is a scientific test -but the few examples used looked considerably softer. which was a surprise to me.

Go on them folks, lets have a Sony 40-70mm f2.8 GM vs Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L shootout :D

Could be a crap 24-70 GM he has, they're bound to exist... I've never found fault with them at all, easily the best 24-70 I've ever owned and rivalled the Loxia 35 for sharpness when I was across in Berlin last year.

Mine is great too :)

Ello, long time no see :D

Well, i've been in NZ for just short of 5 months now, however, i've been that busy i've not had much time for photography, however, it hasn't stopped me GASsing :D

Just purchased a Sigma 16mm F/1.4 and Sony FE 70-300 G OSS yesterday, the sigma worked out at $669nz (about £330), which i've just noticed is about £100 less than UK pricing, the Sony, i got from the Sony store here in Auckland, it was up for $2499, i was going to hire it for a cruise i'm going on, but it would have been $400 to hire, so i thought sod it, i want it, i may as well buy it, so i agreed to buy it for $2499, went to the till to buy it, they said i could have it for $2124 (£1030ish). I wasn't going to argue with that haha. Anyway, that gets delivered on Friday and completes my kit now. However, i'mm not happy with my manfrotto tri medium backpack so that's going to have to change soon. Also, now, i just need to get out and use my kit now LOL.

Back