The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

This eye af really catch me would take the pain out of taking portrait photos

Unless you don't generally print for the sides of buses or you compose properly in camera so you don't need to crop out 50% of your image ;)
Unless you’re a Wildlife shooter and can’t get close to the subject ;)

Unless you don't generally print for the sides of buses or you compose properly in camera so you don't need to crop out 50% of your image ;)

I don't print that big. But I print and I print small-ish. So I can get 800mm reach for my print sizes with the 100-400mm or treat a 85mm/1.4 as 135mm f2 in crop mode.

Ah but in 10 years time when I'm sitting back watching a slideshow on my greater than 8k tv the size of my largest wall it will be great to have that resolution (y)

I don't print that big. But I print and I print small-ish. So I can get 800mm reach for my print sizes with the 100-400mm or treat a 85mm/1.4 as 135mm f2 in crop mode.

Unless you print over A3, a 12mp image will look perfectly fine at normal viewing distances though. I've got an A3 portrait print on my wall from an image I shot with my old GF1/14-45 kit lens (12mp) and I can see the fibres in my daughter's denim if I look close enough.

https://flic.kr/p/Fu6gDh

Well hopefully that same phone has a time machine app so I can come back to today and shoot at a suitable resolution :D

I’m not saying don’t buy the Riii. Just that 42mp isn’t necessarily the only important feature of a camera, so if the early reports suggesting that the 7iii AFs more quickly, tracks better, has better battery life, AF joystick and is £1800 cheaper are correct, I wouldn’t discount it because it’s ‘only’ 24mp.

I remember being happy with the 3.x mp of my Fuji S602, I never thought my 8mp Canon DSLR's were puny and I thought my 12mp 5D was all the camera I'd ever need. How wrong I was :D

I do quite a few 100% crops and they're fine for screen viewing and even for good sized prints, I haven't done a 100% crop to A3 though.

On the subject of printing. I have a Medion compact and apart from a keychain camera I had a few years ago it's the worst digital camera I've had. Anyway, a while ago I came across a print I'd made, it fills an A4 sheet and I was surprised how nice it looked.

Better is always better though :D

Unless you print over A3, a 12mp image will look perfectly fine at normal viewing distances though. I've got an A3 portrait print on my wall from an image I shot with my old GF1/14-45 kit lens (12mp) and I can see the fibres in my daughter's denim if I look close enough.

https://flic.kr/p/Fu6gDh

Exactly my point, I can get 800mm of reach at 10mp with A7RIII but not A7III. With A7III I am limited to 600mm.

I take it you mean by shooting in crop mode then cropping the image further in post?

I get what you're saying though, and, in some circumstances, the larger resolution does offer the biggest benefit.
It offers a lot. You can always downsizing it but you can upgrade it so to speak

'Better' being the key word. A camera is more than just its' resolution.

Yup and each and every new camera may well have something that makes life easier or just more enjoyable.

I do like the gear but I also try to keep it real, at least to a degree :D

Yes and A7RIII will be "better" than my A7. I know it will and maybe an A9 will be better too even though it's only 24mp as it has a focus joystick and a better EVF :D

I'm not having a pop at gas though, we're only here once, life is short, you can't take it with you, we all like nice shiny new toys etc.

I'm not having a pop at gas though, we're only here once, life is short, you can't take it with you, we all like nice shiny new toys etc.

Me either. The A7iii is the first Sony body I've been genuinely interested in as an upgrade for the A7 because of the overall improvements it offers. I've never 'needed' 42mp for what I shoot but the rest of the improvements in the 7iii would be welcomed.

I take it you mean by shooting in crop mode then cropping the image further in post?

I get what you're saying though, and, in some circumstances, the larger resolution does offer the biggest benefit.

One thing I've always wanted to do is get a really nice picture of the moon but I've never managed it, not had a long enough lens or enough resolution.

I was looking at a picture recently, I forget what forum, and you could see the rings of Saturn. I'd love to do that.

One thing I've always wanted to do is get a really nice picture of the moon but I've never managed it, not had a long enough lens or enough resolution.

I was looking at a picture recently, I forget what forum, and you could see the rings of Saturn. I'd love to do that.

Get a telescope and a T-Mount adaptor then use your A7 :0)

It offers a lot. You can always downsizing it but you can upgrade it so to speak

Speaking of resolutions, I've just got a test scan back from my large format camera. The file is a 410Mb TIF with a 9246x7397 resoluton (68mp-ish). Makes the A7riii look puny ;) As a result, I've designed a slider back for my Chroma that will allow me to mount an FE body and shoot 6 images then merge them in post for a full resolution digital file. Can't wait to try it out (although the fps is pretty poor!) :)

Is this going to be an ongoing business Steve or will you just sell the batch you've made and move on?

Is this going to be an ongoing business Steve or will you just sell the batch you've made and move on?

I'm going to be building the business up after the Kickstarter campaign ends Alan. I'd originally built my figures around selling 40 cameras via KS but have just had backing for the 116th with 11 days to go! I've designed 3 additional backs to sell alongside the Chroma after the campaign end, the FE slider, 4x5 wet plate and 6x12 rollfilm so they're going to help build the brand too as the wet plate/612 backs can also be used on existing cameras as well.

I'm going to be building the business up after the Kickstarter campaign ends Alan. I'd originally built my figures around selling 40 cameras via KS but have just had backing for the 116th with 11 days to go! I've designed 3 additional backs to sell alongside the Chroma after the campaign end, the FE slider, 4x5 wet plate and 6x12 rollfilm so they're going to help build the brand too as the wet plate/612 backs can also be used on existing cameras as well.
Great stuff. I wish you every success!
:D

And I'll add...

I wont be buying a camera as I wouldn't know what to do with it :D so I just made a small contribution to the campaign. Reading the info in the campaign and the follow up email and following developments has been well worth the cost of the contribution even for someone who has never and will never own a camera like this :D

If a tightwad like me can could up a few £ and enjoy I'm sure others on this forum/thread can too :D

Last edited:
Yup and each and every new camera may well have something that makes life easier or just more enjoyable.

I do like the gear but I also try to keep it real, at least to a degree :D

Yes and A7RIII will be "better" than my A7. I know it will and maybe an A9 will be better too even though it's only 24mp as it has a focus joystick and a better EVF :D

You couldn’t possibly as you currently hold the record for most 35mm focal length glass

On the subject of 35mm's.. I think I might just pickup another Canon Sigma 35mm and MC-11 for my 35mm fox....
Whats the 35mm F2.8 Sony like? Nice and small package, just a bit slow for a prime. I think I am going to switch the D750 in for the A7iii with a 55mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 and probably a 35. Much smaller package.

Whats the 35mm F2.8 Sony like? Nice and small package, just a bit slow for a prime. I think I am going to switch the D750 in for the A7iii with a 55mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 and probably a 35. Much smaller package.

Very sharp lens but as you say not fast...

Backing up slightly - I have my Mode 1 set as "snapshot" mode, which drops the res to 18mp - still more than enough for most shots - and then when I flick it back to M/A/S it reverts back to 42mp for "proper" photos. Saves on storage space as well as processing power.

Loving my 85mm f/1.8, though didn't get as much use in Mauritius as I'd hoped - pesky children :D

Back