The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yeap I have it on two buttons as not all lenses have the button on. And that button is hard to find when he camera is in portrait orientation

I have mine set-up so if the AF/MF:AEL toggle toggle is AF or Eye-AF and pressing the button activates focus. Also means I can tell other people "AEL" stands for auto-eye-lock ;) So flick up for nornal AF, flick down for Eye-AF.

thank you.

no i know its very capable like most of the 85mm's still in production. i guess having shot a lot with the g master & 85mm f1.2 in recent times i was worrying that this little lens was going to fall well short.

hmmm... I am still debating if I should replace it with the 85mm/1.2 but I do like eye-AF... hmmm.... what to do...

So I've a friend that works at Sony and I can get some items with fairly decent discount

Can get the 55 1.8 for £606 Or the Zeiss 35 1.4 for £1000, decisions decisions

:(

Hope you're able to get it all sorted, and she makes a full recovery.
Thanks.

tbh I've not given it a lot of thought. i better do some research. have been really busy with work and my brother in law has just announced he and his partner are coming to stay as a surprise. its a surprise alright..

I'm taking the a7rii and 35mm f2.8

sorry to hear the new about the dog. poor thing.
Thanks.

Best way is just to get the underground trains. Costs a few euros.
Didn't even know there was an underground, thanks. Does it go out to the airport?

I think it's inevitable. Nikon announced they were going mirrorless at the end of last year, only makes sense for Canon to go the same way. I do think they've both left it a bit too late though. Whilst I'm sure Canon will still retain the lions share I do think that that lions share will not be quite as much as it once was. As for Nikon I do wonder if it's make or break for them. Yes the D850 is a triumph (so far) but the market's changing.

I think it's inevitable. Nikon announced they were going mirrorless at the end of last year, only makes sense for Canon to go the same way. I do think they've both left it a bit too late though. Whilst I'm sure Canon will still retain the lions share I do think that that lions share will not be quite as much as it once was. As for Nikon I do wonder if it's make or break for them. Yes the D850 is a triumph (so far) but the market's changing.

Canon has been slowly moving that way. They have kept improving their live view AF for a while, I am guessing that was their move to improve on-sensor focus and test it against typical PDAF while trying not to annoy thier user base. While thier dual-pixel AF has some benefits over Sony it still doesn't quite compete so well. For example they just introduced eye-AF in eos-m50 but only in AF-S. Sony could do this since A6000.

Nikon is either going to be something amazing and I'll jump ship or it'll be a downer :D

There is also question of mounts....

canon EF-M mount basically uses the same protocols as the their EF(-S) mount which makes things simpler in terms of adapting lenses. The EF to EF-M adapter is basically an electronic pass.

I wonder if nikon will go down same route or if they'll make a new mount like Sony. I wonder how it'll be received if they keep F-mount. :confused:

Canon has been slowly moving that way. They have kept improving their live view AF for a while, I am guessing that was their move to improve on-sensor focus and test it against typical PDAF while trying not to annoy thier user base. While thier dual-pixel AF has some benefits over Sony it still doesn't quite compete so well. For example they just introduced eye-AF in eos-m50 but only in AF-S. Sony could do this since A6000.

Nikon is either going to be something amazing and I'll jump ship or it'll be a downer :D
TBH I do worry about the value of my Nikon F-mount if there's a huge shift. I've not really monitored what's happened to Sony a-mount since e-mount has started to come into it's own, but a-mount hasn't ever been as big as f-mount AFAIK. I do worry too much :oops: :$:LOL:

Yeah straight from airport straight to City Centre. We stayed near Las Ramblas. you buy a ticket for 10 journeys for a few euros and it'll last you a whole weekend.
Cool, thanks for this (y)

Sony say that they predict Canon & Nikon will go mirrorless within a year in time for the CP+ 2019 show. :D

Canon are saying they are going to go on the mirrorless offensive and try to hit 50% market share.

Let the games begin :D

ive just done the math and the amount of ram needed for the A9's buffer capacity is around 8gb worth ie 200 shots in 40MB RAW files

wowzer.

I hope the A9 mk2 doubles that so we can in theory get 200 shots in the buffer of 40mp files!

ive just done the math and the amount of ram needed for the A9's buffer capacity is around 8gb worth ie 200 shots in 40MB RAW files

wowzer.

I hope the A9 mk2 doubles that so we can in theory get 200 shots in the buffer of 40mp files!
Is it as much as that though because don’t shots get offloaded to the card from the start. Buffers are needed as the data can’t be offloaded fast enough but I don’t believe it fills the buffer then offloads. I think this is why xqd cards increase the number of shots you can take as the data is offloaded faster.

Last edited:
Years ago I used to fix stuff to component level for a British manufacturer called Systime Computers, anyway, in those days a popular range was the Dec PDP and they had memory cards that were 256k if you were lucky, and rich, and the memory cards were from what I remember over a foot wide.

The good old days :D

Is it as much as that though because don’t shots get offloaded to the card from the start. Buffers are needed as the data can’t be offloaded fast enough but I don’t believe it fills the buffer then offloads. I think this is why xqd cards increase the number of shots you can take as the data is offloaded faster.
Basicaly as soon as u press the shutter, the shot goes to the RAM and then onto the card.

The RAM can only hold so much data before it fills and on the A9 is quite difficult to reach that limit. You would need to shoot constantly at 20fps from the moment usain bolt starts running and when he finishes in a 100m sprint.

XQD cards help load the data into the storage. it is vital also indeed and would make clearing the buffer faster.

im hoping the A9 mk2 has 16gb buffer and xqd so you can shoot 400 shots before it complains at 24mp size raw's and clear it in half a minute or less?

How fast is xqd compared to uhs-II?

Basicaly as soon as u press the shutter, the shot goes to the RAM and then onto the card.

The RAM can only hold so much data before it fills and on the A9 is quite difficult to reach that limit. You would need to shoot constantly at 20fps from the moment usain bolt starts running and when he finishes in a 100m sprint.

XQD cards help load the data into the storage. it is vital also indeed and would make clearing the buffer faster.

im hoping the A9 mk2 has 16gb buffer and xqd so you can shoot 400 shots before it complains at 24mp size raw's and clear it in half a minute or less?

Yeah I understand that but you quoted that the A9 had an 8gb buffer as you can take 200shots at 40mb but my point was that the buffer doesn’t need to be that big as some of the data would’ve already been written to the card and then cleared from the buffer.

Yeah I understand that but you quoted that the A9 had an 8gb buffer as you can take 200shots at 40mb but my point was that the buffer doesn’t need to be that big as some of the data would’ve already been written to the card and then cleared from the buffer.
yea good point.

Just how fast are XQD cards?

yea good point.

Just how fast are XQD cards?
Depends on the xqd card. Some of the Sony ones have write speeds of 400mb/s, not sure if there’s any faster ones.

Depends on the xqd card. Some of the Sony ones have write speeds of 400mb/s, not sure if there’s any faster ones.

The Sony SF-G SD cards are supposed to be the fastest writing SD cards currently being manufactured - 299mb/s write speeds.

Those are the Sony xQD cards which differ from UHS-II SD cards :)
I think xQD isn’t going to last as Sony don’t seem interested in using them in their own bodies, heard Compact Flash are making something to supersede them.
Yeah, we were discussing xqd when I first quoted 400mb, I didn’t notice you randomly quoted SD ;)

Wouldn’t be good for Nikon if XQD didn’t take off, especially if it continues that Sony are the only ones to make them. They are extremely pricey :eek:

Last edited:
I have an XQD card that I bought ages ago when I first thought I was getting a D500. Thought I had lost it but it’s been found. Good job really, was expensive!!

Yeah, we were discussing xqd when I first quoted 400mb ;)

Wouldn’t be good for Nikon if XQD didn’t take off, especially if it continues that Sony are the only ones to make them. They are extremely pricey :eek:

Think Sony sold them a lemon format like Sony MiniDisc ;) c-ching for Sony though £££

Does the Nikon D5 with its xQD cards outpace the Sony A9 with SF-G SD cards???

Think Sony sold them a lemon format like Sony MiniDisc ;) c-ching for Sony though £££

Does the Nikon D5 with its xQD cards outpace the Sony A9 with SF-G SD cards???
Doesn’t outpace it as the Sony shoots at 20fps ;) I think the D5 buffer is 200 14bit RAW IIRC

I have an XQD card that I bought ages ago when I first thought I was getting a D500. Thought I had lost it but it’s been found. Good job really, was expensive!!
I have one too when I had the D500. No idea what to do with it now though ;)

TBH I do worry about the value of my Nikon F-mount if there's a huge shift. I've not really monitored what's happened to Sony a-mount since e-mount has started to come into it's own, but a-mount hasn't ever been as big as f-mount AFAIK. I do worry too much :oops: :$:LOL:

Cool, thanks for this (y)

Depends on the a-mount lens tbh. Some retained the price, some have become collectors items and some have gone down in price...

If you have to shoot at 20fps constantly for 10 seconds to fill the A9 buffer, you really don’t need double the buffer, you just need to concentrate on what you’re shooting more or just shoot video!

You mainly shoot portraits and the odd F1 shot from the stadium so why would you even need a 400 shot buffer?

If you have to shoot at 20fps constantly for 10 seconds to fill the A9 buffer, you really don’t need double the buffer, you just need to concentrate on what you’re shooting more or just shoot video!

You mainly shoot portraits and the odd F1 shot from the stadium so why would you even need a 400 shot buffer?

Because when you have the best you just want more and more.

Personally I wouldn't even want 20 fps or a huge buffer. Can't stand it when I see people at airshows for example just taking aim and slamming the shutter down and following the planes like some sort of machine gun. I have shot in AF-S single shot before and got perfectly in focus shots, the shot I actually wanted and not a possible shot out of 100 from a spray and pray session.

A 24fps rate for the next A9 II would be nice if it also included a in-body RAW to 24p movie conversion option.
Imagine shooting a short 24fps moment and also having the ability to generate a quick video from it. :)

I’ve changed my mind about going higher resolution for the next A9 generation, stick to 24mp but give it so much useable high ISO & DR performance that it’ll practically end up being night vision lol global shutter too. :D

Last edited:
Back