The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm heading over to the Liverpool University Arts Centre in an hour to speak to the photography students about my Chroma KS campaign and photography in general. It will be interesting to see the spread of gear used by them too.
Good luck and it will be interesting indeed....... maybe count up DSLR vs Mirrorless numbers? :D

I'm heading over to the Liverpool University Arts Centre in an hour to speak to the photography students about my Chroma KS campaign and photography in general. It will be interesting to see the spread of gear used by them too.
Hope all goes well.

Holy cow, I used the A9 for an event last night .. and it was BEAUTIFUL...

Eye detection tracking so fast, silent so I could burst shots without raising an eyebrow.

I could get focus on my way to a new subject, then side step around until I had a better angle and be ready to take the photo at any time.

Image quality is great, love it all.

cfs by dancook1982, on Flickr

If you want to see the gallery here

https://danielcook.photoshelter.com/gallery/CFS-Annual-Celebration-2018/G0000Lgv_ON3w5nw
cfs-guest-view

I'm still giddy with excitement this morning...
I don't seem to be able to view the images, Flickr click through says private, and that other link requires a password?

Seems lens decision is not easy!

I can afford the 28-70 + 50mm 1.8 or the 28mm f2 & 50mm f1.8 or just the 35mm 2.8..... (to join a 70-200).

Thoughts?!

I can afford the 28-70 + 50mm 1.8 or the 28mm f2 & 50mm f1.8 or just the 35mm 2.8..... (to join a 70-200).

Thoughts?!

I be going for for 28-70 and the 85mm 1.8 i think I would love the 55mm 1.8 but my 70-200 is going be the F4 i dont need the 2.8 I dont think. I guess your going for 2.8

Click the link below not the image.

Photoshelter link.

Use the password cfs-guest-view
Thanks, great set. Nice detail, just not sure about the colours, but of course this could be down to the venue. What ISO were you using, and were you using flash for most?

Thoughts?!

Go for the 28-70mm + 50mm option, you can always upgrade in the future. :)

I be going for for 28-70 and the 85mm 1.8 i think I would love the 55mm 1.8 but my 70-200 is going be the F4 i dont need the 2.8 I dont think. I guess your going for 2.8
Oooo so your getting the Sony A7 III? :D

Thanks, great set. Nice detail, just not sure about the colours, but of course this could be down to the venue. What ISO were you using, and were you using flash for most?

Colours are something I'll need to work on, I quickly found a satisfactory look by adding some desaturated yellow to the highlights to help skin tones look warmer - there's room for improvement, but I was happy for this delivery.

I didn't use any flash (except for last group shot)

f1.4 1/250th
ISO averaged around 1000

Does the Sony 70-200 2.8 GM have the focus window?

Colours are something I'll need to work on, I quickly found a satisfactory look by adding some desaturated yellow to the highlights to help skin tones look warmer - there's room for improvement, but I was happy for this delivery.

I didn't use any flash (except for last group shot)

f1.4 1/250th
ISO averaged around 1000
Ahh that may explain it, I thought some of the skin tones look a bit too yellow but obviously that's deliberate and your taste (y). I'm assuming the A9's are keepers then?

I cant even see them even pressing link

Yes indeed they are! :)

I'll have to start expanding the lenses.. 100-400 next probably.. and/or 1.4x TC
I'm not at all jealous ;) :p How're you finding the ergonomics and grip (especially compared to the D750 and EM1)? I've only tried the A7, A7ii, and A7RII and not been keen, but I believe the A7RIII and A9 have been improved.

I'm not at all jealous ;) :p How're you finding the ergonomics and grip (especially compared to the D750 and EM1)? I've only tried the A7, A7ii, and A7RII and not been keen, but I believe the A7RIII and A9 have been improved.

I don't shoot with THIS camera held up to the eye, most of the time I hold it around chest height and use the flip screen - I'm comfortable doing this one handed even.

Can't do this so well in vertical position though because the screen doesn't go that way... so most shots are horizontal !

Ergonomics would not be a deciding factor for me with this camera, the performance would make it worth whatever arthritis it could have brought on :) but it's really not that bad

A7RIII and crop?

:) no thanks!

Yes 2.8 - will be using indoors so makes more sense!

50mm is my favourite focal length so makes sense to get that one! 28-70 seems a no brainer as its so cheap!

Go for the 28-70mm + 50mm option, you can always upgrade in the future. :)

I think I agree!

No idea - i have never used/looked at the windows on my Nikon so no deal breaker! The other Sony mount 70-200 2.8 has the window!

Riz said it doesn't as I ask does it

He is right it does not - but the mount for the other Sony series mount does.

Sounds like your really looking into it now.. Are you hoping as we know it FF which you wanted. and you hoping it be faster than D750 and maybe like the D500 Focus wise

Any chance I can get a 100-400 lens for tonight in Guildford without paying £2500 for a new one... ?

Sounds like your really looking into it now.. Are you hoping as we know it FF which you wanted. and you hoping it be faster than D750 and maybe like the D500 Focus wise
To be fair, if the AF isn't on par with the D750/D500 it's going to come down to individual shoot requirements/demands, you may not even need D750/D500 levels of AF if your shooting static subjects all the time.

A lot of people go on about the amazing the AF abilities of the D750 are but they sometimes forget real-world differences and advantages of Sony Eye-AF and EVF's

Here's one for the Nikon DSLR owners...... and imagine that the AF on the Sony A7 III isn't quite as good as the AF in the D750.

Scenario: Portrait Shoot including Focusing on the Eye.

Nikon D750
AF on subject using shutter button / move the focus point onto the eye
Take photo
Review photo for correct exposure / depth of field

Sony A7 III
AF on subject using shutter + assigned Eye-AF button
Take photo
Is there a real need to review for correct exposure / depth of field as you had already seen this via EVF thus saving time.

So in this scenario which would actually be the quicker camera considering the AF on the D750 might be better?

:D

Back