The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Shooting 95% with prime lenses another thing I think was the single biggest reason for me going mirrorless was not having to deal with micro adjusting every lens to every body. What a pain in the arse that was

Such a shame big Lens cost too much

Like 100/400
It's not much more expensive than the Nikkor 80-400mm which is around £2100.
So your talking £400 difference if your paying full list price, cheaper if you get a discount ;)
I believe the Sony 100-400mm GM is a better lens.

200-500 is £1000

Are Sony going bring cheaper ones or more ranges. No 3rd party yet in that range is there

Such a shame big Lens cost too much

It's not much more expensive than the Nikkor 80-400mm which is around £2100.
So your talking £400 difference if your paying full list price, cheaper if you get a discount ;)
I believe the Sony 100-400mm GM is a better lens.

I agree with Rookies the lenses are expensive, but I think the main issue is the lack of lenses tbh. Compared to the high end Canikon the Sony are only just a bit more expensive, but there's no alternatives. For example, Nikon offer the 200-500, 80-400 plus there's then the Sigma and Tamron 150-600mm which are significantly cheaper with just as good IQ. Likewise Sony only offer the 16-35mm f4 whereas Nikon have the cheaper (albeit sharper) 18-35mm. Sony need to start bringing out some mid range lenses if they want e-mount to appeal to the masses.

Are Sony going bring cheaper ones or more ranges. No 3rd party yet in that range is there
I doubt they will announce anything cheaper for the telephoto range yet, they might focus on the high end telephoto G Masters for now to meet the needs of the professional market.
The Sony A9 is still missing key sports / wildlife lenses which means that sales of the Sony A9 have been low.

I agree with Rookies the lenses are expensive, but I think the main issue is the lack of lenses tbh. Compared to the high end Canikon the Sony are only just a bit more expensive, but there's no alternatives. For example, Nikon offer the 200-500, 80-400 plus there's then the Sigma and Tamron 150-600mm which are significantly cheaper with just as good IQ. Likewise Sony only offer the 16-35mm f4 whereas Nikon have the cheaper (albeit sharper) 18-35mm. Sony need to start bringing out some mid range lenses if they want e-mount to appeal to the masses.
I agree that Sony need to start bringing out cheaper yet good quality lenses......now that the Sony A7 III is out, this body represents good value, they should make some lenses with the same idea. :)

Canon lens won’t work as fast I believe so that out of question

Canon lens won’t work as fast I believe so that out of question
There has been plenty of discussion and some say that they work great and in some instances better on Sony bodies because of features like Eye-AF.
Personally I don't think they are as fast as native FE lenses.
I thought you were going to get the FE 70-200mm f4? I have owned this lens and it was tack sharp with great IQ, you could easily crop and retain sharpness.
Do you really need more than 200mm? What's the longer Nikkor you got at the moment?

I agree that Sony need to start bringing out cheaper yet good quality lenses......now that the Sony A7 III is out, this body represents good value, they should make some lenses with the same idea. :)

They have a few?

The 50mm 1.8 looks decent for the money and not far off Nikon 50mm 1.8.
The 70-200 2.8 is on par with Nikon new version price wise
The 28-70 is much cheaper than Nikon kit lenses and meant to be decent enough.
The 70-200 f4 is a bit high on price
The 28mm 2 is cheaper than Nikon 28mm 1.8

I think because there are not really any gen 1 or gen 2 versions of lenses as they are so new, there hold used value.

They have a few?

The 50mm 1.8 looks decent for the money and not far off Nikon 50mm 1.8.
The 70-200 2.8 is on par with Nikon new version price wise
The 28-70 is much cheaper than Nikon kit lenses and meant to be decent enough.
The 70-200 f4 is a bit high on price
The 28mm 2 is cheaper than Nikon 28mm 1.8

I think because there are not really any gen 1 or gen 2 versions of lenses as they are so new, there hold used value.
Correct, when people go on about Sony lens prices, they should consider that the Sony lenses are fairly new when compared to some of the decades old designs from Nikon & Canon. They should compare the prices with the actual launch prices for the Nikon and Canon rivals to see what the difference is in launch prices, I suspect the gap will be smaller. Sony may reduce prices in a decade or two :D lol

Correct, when people go on about Sony lens prices, they should consider that the Sony lenses are fairly new when compared to some of the decades old designs from Nikon & Canon. They should compare the prices with the actual launch prices for the Nikon and Canon rivals to see what the difference is in launch prices, I suspect the gap will be smaller. Sony may reduce prices in a decade or two :D lol
That's just nonsense!

Wonder if an adapted Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 or their 180-600mm would perform well enough? Don't think you can adapt Tamrons?

That's just nonsense!
I wouldn't say its nonsense, however it depends how you look at it. If you compare original launch prices, you will see what the differences were and how Canon and Nikon prices have reduced over a set period of time since launch.
Therefore Sony lens prices could reduce over time too, its normal for manufacturers to reduce prices when newer replacement MKII lenses are released and/if production costs reduce due to sales volumes etc.

If you want the latest new Sony lenses then you've got to pay the price unfortunately.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say its nonsense, however it depends how you look at it. If you compare original launch prices, you will see what the differences and how Canon and Nikon prices have reduced over a set period of time.
Therefore Sony lens prices could reduce over time too, its normal for manufacturers to reduce prices when newer lenses are released and/if production costs reduce due to volumes etc.

If you want the latest new Sony lenses then you got to pay the price unfortunately.

But Sony lenses are not all more expensive, especially if you are not going for the G master series.

For example - UK prices (not grey):

50mm 1.8
Sony £249
Nikon £189

28mm 1.8/2.0
Sony £399
Nikon £559

Sony 28-70 £395
Nikon 24-85 £439

85mm 1.8
Sony £429
Nikon £469

70-200 F4
Sony £1249
Nikon £1049

But Sony lenses are not all more expensive, especially if you are not going for the G master series.

50mm 1.8
Sony £249
Nikon £189

28mm 1.8/2.0
Sony £399
Nikon £559

Sony 28-70 £395
Nikon 24-85 £439

85mm 1.8
Sony £429
Nikon £469

70-200 F4
Sony £1249
Nikon £1049

:D time to get shopping ;)

What Sony tc like on the 70-200 f4 anyone know pls

What Sony tc like on the 70-200 f4 anyone know pls

incompatible?

The SEL14TC teleconverter is compatible with the following lenses: SEL70200GM, SEL100400GM
The SEL20TC teleconverter is compatible with the following lenses: SEL70200GM, SEL100400GM

incompatible?

The SEL14TC teleconverter is compatible with the following lenses: SEL70200GM, SEL100400GM
The SEL20TC teleconverter is compatible with the following lenses: SEL70200GM, SEL100400GM

Another bad move from Sony ffs

To encourage you to upgrade? :D
Correct :D
The Sony FE 70-200mm f4 was designed before the G Master lenses / TC's, its rear neck opening doesn't allow the TC to slot in because of the optical element.
So it was never designed to accept a TC.

Keep on saving for the 2.8. You will NEVER be happy with the F4... thinking about what could of been!
lol the 70-200mm isnt a bad lens at all ;) but the G Master is the king, but it comes with a king price! lol
@rookies Just buy the following for now and decide later ....

Sony A7 III
Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8

incompatible?

Which illustrates why you really need to do your homework before diving headlong into Sony from Canon/Nikon.

50mm 1.8
Sony £249
Nikon £189

28mm 1.8/2.0
Sony £399
Nikon £559

Sony 28-70 £395
Nikon 24-85 £439

85mm 1.8
Sony £429
Nikon £469

70-200 F4
Sony £1249
Nikon £1049

Shouldn't you be comparing the Sony 24-70/4 with the Nikon 24-85 (24mm lenses are always more expensive then more common 28mm)?

Sony 24-70/4 - £869
Nikon 24-85/3.5-4.5 - £435
or Nikon 24-85/2.8-4 - £589

Also, where do you get the Sony FE 85/1.8 for £429 new?

Sony 85/1.8 - £561
Nikon 85/1.8 - £429

The Sony FE 50/1.8 is also £279

(all prices from CameraPriceBuster)

There's no denying that Sony lenses are more expensive than equivalents from CaNikon. Regardless of how old the lens designs are, you're still buying a brand new lens with warranty that delivers the same optical formula for considerably less across the board. Whilst there will always be some reduction of kit prices over time, I do still believe that Sony are re-couping a lot of their R&D costs from people who are willing to pay higher prices for OEM kit as there aren't any alternatives.

Whilst there will always be some reduction of kit prices over time, I do still believe that Sony are re-couping a lot of their R&D costs from people who are willing to pay higher prices for OEM kit as there aren't any alternatives.
This is true...... just the nature of the business unfortunately but it seems to be working for Sony.

Shouldn't you be comparing the Sony 24-70/4 with the Nikon 24-85 (24mm lenses are always more expensive then more common 28mm)?

Sony 24-70/4 - £869
Nikon 24-85/3.5-4.5 - £435
or Nikon 24-85/2.8-4 - £589

Also, where do you get the Sony FE 85/1.8 for £429 new?

Sony 85/1.8 - £561
Nikon 85/1.8 - £429

The Sony FE 50/1.8 is also £279

(all prices from CameraPriceBuster)

There's no denying that Sony lenses are more expensive than equivalents from CaNikon. Regardless of how old the lens designs are, you're still buying a brand new lens with warranty that delivers the same optical formula for considerably less across the board. Whilst there will always be some reduction of kit prices over time, I do still believe that Sony are re-couping a lot of their R&D costs from people who are willing to pay higher prices for OEM kit as there aren't any alternatives.

Fair point - but people make out that there is a vast difference in price - but thats not quite true.

I dont think you can compare the 24-70 to the 24-85 either due to getting more at the long end so in that case there are no real comparable kit lenses as such.

The fact that if you but the 28-70 with the A7iii is costs a mere £200 which seems cheap.

Even so, I was origiannly scared off by the price of Sony lenses, but having looked in to it properly I think they are more affordable than I first thought.

Fair point - but people make out that there is a vast difference in price - but thats not quite true.

I dont think you can compare the 24-70 to the 24-85 either due to getting more at the long end so in that case there are no real comparable kit lenses as such.

The fact that if you but the 28-70 with the A7iii is costs a mere £200 which seems cheap.

Even so, I was origiannly scared off by the price of Sony lenses, but having looked in to it properly I think they are more affordable than I first thought.

This, now only if I could get a A7III and a 35 1.4 and the 85 1.8..

I guess affordability is different for everybody...... you can't knock Sony for doing what they are doing.
At the moment it seems Sony's only real competitor is itself! lol :D

Back