The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It’s pretty clear that different people have a different ideas on what is good and bad low light performance. Won’t know if it’s good enough for yourself until you have a go. I imagine it’s fine for most
Like me..... Sony A9 is way more than I need at this moment in time.... :D
Different expectations and outcomes.

20 mins in a bright place. Like I say nothing beats having it at home

See there was your problem! I went outside, inside and then to the dark corners and not well lit places!

Just go buy one or you will always be thinking of one. You wanted a camera with decent live view and you are not doing sports so the D500 is not really what you need anyway!

Tom Toby will have his d750 in the ads very soon, very well looked after as any lab tecnician would :ROFLMAO:
Nope, can't afford the switch.

I've been following this over on DPR (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60890104), roughly they're saying when it's set to a small aperture and AFC regardless of the live view setting on or off it will focus open then remain stopped down, which causes focusing problems because it's effectively too dark for the camera.

So is that intended behaviour or is the setting only relevant when you're in AFS?

In that thread there's reports of different lenses acting differently, not sure if that's accurate or user error though.
That's crazy, surely that's a fault that needs fixing being as it was fixed in the A9 and A7Riii?

They probably had live view effects off. I can test tomorow if I can.
See Simon's post I've quoted above, says live view effects makes no difference.

I still don’t like EVFs even though this one is very good.
Indoor focus was not as fast as I wanted with the 70-200. And yes I tried different modes.
No top screen
Not as easy to change things on the fly (although this would improve with use)
Didn’t really feel comfortable in the hand

It is very nicely built
With the primes it felt lovely
Eye AF was really good
Much better than any mirrorless I have used or tried before
Quiet and discreet
Make a great wedding camera

I didn’t feel I was going to gain anything from swapping systems so I have decided for the moment not to make a move.
Did you try the 70-200mm f2.8 or f4? Would you say it's slower than the D750 and VRII in similar conditions.

See there was your problem! I went outside, inside and then to the dark corners and not well lit places!

Just go buy one or you will always be thinking of one. You wanted a camera with decent live view and you are not doing sports so the D500 is not really what you need anyway!
I agree...... buy the Sony A7 III and join the Sony family :D @rookies

Ffordes are doing well from me this year... another of those 'I must really try one of those some day lenses'* found its way to me on Thursday afternoon, a Zeiss C/Y Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 MM.

* The C/Y Tessar 45mm f/2.8 is also on this list; I don't know how many times I've very nearly bought one

Well, I found a nice example of a Contax Tessar 45mm f/2.8 MM succumbed to its charms this week; for an SLR lens, it is tiny.

The extra few mm allow a little more breathing space over a 50, which can be a touch tight at times. It's a tad softer than the Planar 50/1.7 at similar apertures, but that's not really significant at 24 Mpx on my A7. Distortion is marginally better than the Planar, though.

A couple of my first images with it.

Office Dog
by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Danny Oh

Last edited:
A wise choice considering the amount of money involved to change over.
I had a suspicious feeling the Sony A7 III might struggle indoors and/or dim light hence my post earlier regarding low light performance compared to the Sony A9.
Will need to do a back to back test to really confirm but online videos / reviews show the Sony A7 III to be excellent in low-light.
Lmao. Seriously ? It's the same. I've used both and it's indistinguishable to the A9 in terms of AF and like I've said, actually better Eye Af [emoji23][emoji23]

It's normal that someone wouldn't want to hear that a camera at half the price matches the AF ability of a 4300GBP one lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Lmao. Seriously ? It's the same. I've used both and it's indistinguishable to the A9 in terms of AF and like I've said, actually better Eye Af [emoji23][emoji23]

Yes, I have always been suspicious as Sony markets the AF as two times better than the previous A7 II, having owned the A7II, it wasn't great in most low light situations.
Clearly in your usage, the Sony A7 III AF system is good enough however I still firmly believe that the Sony A9's focusing and tracking abilities are better than the A7 III due to the stacked RS sensor design.
Most review's also confirm that even though both bodies have the same number of AF points, the Sony A9's is the faster / better system.
The Eye-AF might be better but is it better in low light at say 10-20fps? ;)

The Sony A9 is the king .... a game changer......
isn't that right @jonneymendoza :D lol

The most important thing to me is that wide aperture primes focus accurately, don't need tuned to each body to perform as they are meant. AF modules in dslr cameras (all of them) have issues wether it's a sigma art lens or a native L series lens. It's the single biggest reason I ditched dslrs.

Also all this banging on about d750 etc vs the 693 point af in a7iii and a9 isn't even up for debate, the outer points are at the very best poor in terms of accuracy. In fact they were that crap that I only ever used the better cross type points

The most important thing to me is that wide aperture primes focus accurately, don't need tuned to each body to perform as they are meant. AF modules in dslr cameras (all of them) have issues wether it's a sigma art lens or a native L series lens. It's the single biggest reason I ditched dslrs.

Also all this banging on about d750 etc vs the 693 point af in a7iii and a9 isn't even up for debate, the outer points are at the very best poor in terms of accuracy. In fact they were that crap that I only ever used the better cross type points
True :D end of debate lol Sony A9 wins ;) lol

JJ your reasons for not going to a7mk3 are interesting and I believe due to that. You won't ever be happy with anything Sony puts out due to evf and smaller form factor.

Its good that you have made that decision before wasting money.

Well, I found a nice example of a Contax Tessar 45mm f/2.8 MM succumbed to its charms this week; for an SLR lens, it is tiny.

The extra few mm allow a little more breathing space over a 50, which can be a touch tight at times. It's a tad softer than the Planar 50/1.7 at similar apertures, but that's not really significant at 24 Mpx on my A7. Distortion is marginally better than the Planar, though.

A couple of my first images with it.

Office Dog

Danny Oh

Yay - MOAR PHOTOS.

Why on earth are you relying on other peoples views as confirmation

Well because I'm not perfect and sometimes people consider things I don't, I tend to make better decisions with more information.

Yes obviously first hand experience trumps all but I don't have time to pop into London to play around with the camera and until I do this kind of stuff is useful to me.

Plus every minute spent here is a minute not doing actual work!

Yup, baby Otus :D
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Just need that absolutely pants weather to do one so I can get shooting with it! Have a photo gig to do tonight and a wedding next week so it'll be put through it's paces.

Will be mainly using the 28mm 55mm and 85mm with the 16-35 and 70-200 for maybe the odd few shots.

Well because I'm not perfect and sometimes people consider things I don't, I tend to make better decisions with more information.

Yes obviously first hand experience trumps all but I don't have time to pop into London to play around with the camera and until I do this kind of stuff is useful to me.

Plus every minute spent here is a minute not doing actual work!
:D

That's crazy, surely that's a fault that needs fixing being as it was fixed in the A9 and A7Riii?

That's coming from people who aren't using a A7 III so I assume it's working the same as a A7R III.

Don't really understand why this hasn't been clearly answered, anyone with 5-10 minutes and a few lenses should be able to confirm it either way.

@rookies

You asked about lenses. I tried a few and coming from the 50mm 1.8g I do not believe you will be happy with the Sony 50mm 1.8.

The 35mm both Sony and Samyang were awesome. Shame 2.8 but so small! The Samyang in particular was so light. The Sony versions hood was even more strange though.

70-200 2.8 - balances perfect and @snerkler my fingers fitted fine between lens and grip.

That's coming from people who aren't using a A7 III so I assume it's working the same as a A7R III.

Don't really understand why this hasn't been clearly answered, anyone with 5-10 minutes and a few lenses should be able to confirm it either way.
I've already confirmed it's fine on the a7r3... So done loads of shots and I was the original bloke who kicked up a fuss. Even a Sony artisan contacted me about it

Nope, can't afford the switch.

See Simon's post I've quoted above, says live view effects makes no difference.

Did you try the 70-200mm f2.8 or f4? Would you say it's slower than the D750 and VRII in similar conditions.

2.8 they did not have the f4. In caf I would say the D750 with VRii was better. And yes I know someone will disagree!

Back