The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It is a pain trying to develop a preset that you're happy with for most shots when you change cameras isn't it? Took me ages to be finally happy with one for my Olympus and D750. I've now got to develop one for my D850 although I think it's just going to require a minor tweak from the D750. The colours do seem slightly more Canon-esque to my eyes, whereas the D750 were more true to life. Could also be in part down to WB too, there's some new auto WB settings on the D850, it has 3 auto WB settings (normal, keeping warm colours and keeping white [reducing warm colours]) as well as natural light auto. They're getting too sophisticated/complicated for their own good :eek: ;)

I wish I had your eye for a photo though (y)

Cheers man,

When I do work for the school it's different again, I'm not putting my own spin on those - just trying to keep them truer to life with a bit more contrast and punch and without over-saturating the colours.

@dancook Nice set, already been said, greens.

thanks - yea, it started off I quite like them - then when I've done a bunch of photos I start to change my mind, particularly when you place them next to each other in a thread :D I'll get it right when i deliver in July!

thanks - yea, it started off I quite like them - then when I've done a bunch of photos I start to change my mind, particularly when you place them next to each other in a thread :D I'll get it right when i deliver in July!

Im sure you will (y)

Wilkinson's A73 pre-orders - Did they come through with the £300 discount?

I can’t view those images but assuming they’re similar to this? Apart from having the main things in the same place they’re pretty different looking ;)

View attachment 124464

I prefer the older interior as well, the newer one reminds me of a Halfords stereo display :LOL: Fortunately my X5 is somewhere in between. I agree that Audi interiors are nice though. I’m not a massive fan of Merc interiors but the A45 AMG’s is nice.

I don't tlike the new BMW interiors. The screen/sat nav looks like a bolt on after thought. My sis in law has a 2 series coupe and it just looks odd on the dash!

Another thumbs up for Wilkinson's from me :plus1:

Brilliant service on the printer I got from them. Very patient and helpful as I was experiencing some issues.

I borrowed a Samyang 35/2.8 off a friend of mine last night to test out the performance on my A7 and am seriously impressed. The AF speed is excellent and it's a tiny lens. Ok, I know it's 'only' 2.8 but it's sharp wide open and weighs next to nothing so seems like a bargain of a lens.

Loving the 35 f1.4 I honestly don't seen any difference between this and a Sigma Art, AF seems great. Would be tempted by the f2.8 for travel potentially.

The only problem I've had with the Sony 35mm f2.8 is throwing the background more out of the DoF at f2.8 in one or two shots and that's it, one or two out of thousands. I've not had any low light limitations as the higher ISO performance of modern cameras is enough for me.

For me the advantages of compactness and quality outweigh the disadvantages of f2.8 for DoF and low light.

You should take a look at one :D Either the Sony or Samyang :D If you think a compact quality lens will be useful :D

Last edited:
Loving the 35 f1.4 I honestly don't seen any difference between this and a Sigma Art, AF seems great. Would be tempted by the f2.8 for travel potentially.

Im a bit stuck, I know the Zeiss is better in every way and I was lucky to get a nice copy, but theres money to be saved by keeping the Samyang instead.... but its my most used FL so I really should keep the better lens... or should I.... AAARRRGGGHHHHH! Choice can be a real PITA.

Im a bit stuck, I know the Zeiss is better in every way and I was lucky to get a nice copy, but theres money to be saved by keeping the Samyang instead.... but its my most used FL so I really should keep the better lens... or should I.... AAARRRGGGHHHHH! Choice can be a real PITA.

Zeiss

did that help?

The Sigma art is soooo much cheaper and for those willing to use it with an adapter it must be very tempting. Is the Sony/Zeiss that much better?

The Sigma art is soooo much cheaper and for those willing to use it with an adapter it must be very tempting. Is the Sony/Zeiss that much better?

Its not, used Sigma and adapter is approaching 700 quid, the Zeiss is around 900 quid used. The Samyang I got for £500, tbh as much as I like the ART I think the Samyang being native is a better choice. The ART is sharper than the Samyang but sharpness isn't everything. The Zeiss is better than all of them not just in terms of IQ but also AF but more expensive.

Last edited:
... the "native" Sigma will come in at £700 but its still a DSLR design with DSLR motors.

35mm is your focal length. Keep the zeiss.

I borrowed a Samyang 35/2.8 off a friend of mine last night to test out the performance on my A7 and am seriously impressed. The AF speed is excellent and it's a tiny lens. Ok, I know it's 'only' 2.8 but it's sharp wide open and weighs next to nothing so seems like a bargain of a lens.

Thanks Steve. Seriously interested in this little thing.

I’ll take it’s off your hands if that helps?

There have been a couple of instances now on the Sony A73 facebook group where members have said that the camera has overheated just by using the menu for setting up etc... albeit over a long period...

Richard Scrope shared his first post.
New member · 11 mins
Is my A7iii a dud? Yesterday I sat down with my a9 and a7iii to get them setup the same. After about 1 hour the A7iii overheated and shut down. No lens on it just the body. The A9 was completely cool but the A7iii was hot to touch. Should I return it.

The way I see it is if you sell your Zeiss you'll get back what you paid for it or near enough. If you sell your samyang you'd probably get less even though you paid £100 less than other places I imagine others will drop down in price soon enough.

There have been a couple of instances now on the Sony A73 facebook group where members have said that the camera has overheated just by using the menu for setting up etc... albeit over a long period...

New member · 11 mins
Is my A7iii a dud? Yesterday I sat down with my a9 and a7iii to get them setup the same. After about 1 hour the A7iii overheated and shut down. No lens on it just the body. The A9 was completely cool but the A7iii was hot to touch. Should I return it.
Unusual for Sony to have overheating issues :eek: ;) :p

New member · 11 mins

1hr to setup a camera menu they are familiar with? New member, smells like BS.

Last edited:
The way I see it is if you sell your Zeiss you'll get back what you paid for it or near enough. If you sell your samyang you'd probably get less even though you paid £100 less than other places I imagine others will drop down in price soon enough.

This is also true, more of an investment, Samyang hasn't been out in the wild very long either, no teardown, Sony uprated their linear motors, who knows what Samyang is using on their first attempt.

The cost difference isn't huge between what I paid for the as new Zeiss and Samyang.... had they both been new UK stock prices I would've certainly gone for the Samyang, it is excellent VFM.

Last edited:
Move on the Zeiss and upgrade the 85 to a 1.4?

Noooooo, 35 is my no.1 FL.

I don't think Id go to the 85GM tbh, the FE 1.8 is superb, also faster to AF and lighter. I see the value in going for 1.4 at 35/50, not so much at 85 as it already provides shallow enough DOF due to longer FL.

.... no notification of shipping yet. Cant believe how long Ive waited to get this camera :(

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

My A7mk3 is there, they are trying to get it out today but no later than Wednesday :banana:
Finally (y) I look forward to seeing your pinstripe testing ;)

Back