The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Bloody hell, that was fast! Get hit with customs?

No, I got the last one from an authorised EU dealer. 330 euros. As opposed to $379 + possible tax and duty. (And a 50 days wait)

I think the dealer should’ve charged or could’ve charged 20% more tbh.

weren't you trying to sell off A7 related stuff to buy something else?

I sold my Kiev 88 (6x6 medium format film) and also have my OM Zuiko 35mm Shift listed here because I haven’t used it for a while. I needed a new wide angle option and saw the 20/3.5 come up for a good price.

I’m still in two minds about what to do long term but have been impressed with the Samyang 35/2.8 on my A7.

Plenty of new Sony purchases :)
I am moving over from Nikon - I think Sony now sits well for me as a landscape photographer.

I have been a bit dissapointed with Nikons wide lens selection. Used a 17-35 for a few years but know it is not the best. Tried a used 16-35 F4 and it was worse than the 17-35. Ended up having to get work done on it by Nikon and even then it was not as good as the 17-35.
The 14-24 is apparently great but I like to use grads and decided not to upgrade to the 150mm I would have needed. Cost alone for the 150mm Firecrest grads and NDs was crazy (still cheaper than a new system though :) )

Canon glass is very good, but their sensors are playing catchup.

So - time to give the GMasters a try :)

I am moving over from Nikon - I think Sony now sits well for me as a landscape photographer.

I have been a bit dissapointed with Nikons wide lens selection. Used a 17-35 for a few years but know it is not the best. Tried a used 16-35 F4 and it was worse than the 17-35. Ended up having to get work done on it by Nikon and even then it was not as good as the 17-35.
The 14-24 is apparently great but I like to use grads and decided not to upgrade to the 150mm I would have needed. Cost alone for the 150mm Firecrest grads and NDs was crazy (still cheaper than a new system though :) )

Canon glass is very good, but their sensors are playing catchup.

So - time to give the GMasters a try :)
The Nikon 18-35mm G is very good, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Sony 16-35mm going by the images Dan posted, looks very sharp.

The Nikon 18-35mm G is very good, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Sony 16-35mm going by the images Dan posted, looks very sharp.
I have had a look at the 18-35 and it was a very good lens & nice and light.

The problem is that 17mm isn't wide enough sometimes and I would have been limiting myself even more.

The difference between 18 and 16mm is quite surprising :)

I did ponder the D850 for weeks - it was the logical move.

Having a lighter backpack will also help as well - although I could save much more weight by going on a diet!

I have had a look at the 18-35 and it was a very good lens & nice and light.

The problem is that 17mm isn't wide enough sometimes and I would have been limiting myself even more.

The difference between 18 and 16mm is quite surprising :)

I did ponder the D850 for weeks - it was the logical move.

Having a lighter backpack will also help as well - although I could save much more weight by going on a diet!

The sony 16-35mm/2.8 is about the same size as the nikon 16-35mm f4 :D

But anyway if you don't need f2.8 zooms or AF at UWA end, there is plenty of weight/space you can save by using primes. If you like UWA lenses that's one place where you can make some decent weight/space saving by going to mirrorless :)

Last edited:
Pictures!
A write up!
:D

PS.
How long did it take to come and where did you get it? Order direct from their web site?

I got it from http://www.vintage217.com/nl/ which I found through Wotoncraft's own site being their official EU dealer. Official site has a 50 day delay for pre-order but I got the last brown one in the EU. They have 1 black one left. I ordered on Thursday night, arrived today, it's shipped from Holland.

The leather is really soft, quality is amazing everything is made to perfection. The smell, lovely leather smell !

The down side. there are too many large size dividers. I wish I have 2 smaller ones and 1 large one, but apart from that this is just an awesome daily.

X6tDWwi.jpg

ZZ2M9mr.jpg

hWG1S5Y.jpg

IVmSafA.jpg

This is probably how I will arrange it, so 2 dividers are not being used.

mzCX0jA.jpg

Can fit 1 body with a 50/1.4 Zeiss , with a Canon 85/1.2 and a 35/1.5L. I don't think the Sigma 85/1.4 will fit though.

H0LcWv9.jpg

Nice details

ow17Zb2.jpg

Last edited:
I got it from http://www.vintage217.com/nl/ which I found through Wotoncraft's own site being their official EU dealer. Official site has a 50 day delay for pre-order but I got the last brown one in the EU. They have 1 black one left. I ordered on Thursday night, arrived today, it's shipped from Holland.

The leather is really soft, quality is amazing everything is made to perfection. The smell, lovely leather smell !

The down side. there are too many large size dividers. I wish I have 2 smaller ones and 1 large one, but apart from that this is just an awesome daily.

X6tDWwi.jpg

ZZ2M9mr.jpg

hWG1S5Y.jpg

IVmSafA.jpg

mzCX0jA.jpg

Can fit 1 body with a 50/1.4 Zeiss , with a Canon 85/1.2 and a 35/1.5L. I don't think the Sigma 85/1.4 will fit though.

H0LcWv9.jpg

Nice details

ow17Zb2.jpg
:rolleyes: Nice

X6tDWwi.jpg

ZZ2M9mr.jpg

hWG1S5Y.jpg

IVmSafA.jpg

mzCX0jA.jpg

H0LcWv9.jpg

Nice details

ow17Zb2.jpg
Looks superb. Definitely something I'll look into.

Well - I have just pulled the trigger on a A7R3 and a 24-70GM. Waiting for the 16-35GM and 70-200 F4 to come back in stock at Panamoz and will have them as well.

Just need it to arrive before the weekend so I can have a nice play :)

Nice one Dave. I’m dipping my toe in with a used mk2 and nifty fifty.
Fancying a full frame lightweight walkabout.

Thanks for posting, it looks lovely :D

I've been looking at these since Steve Huff started going on about them. I have a Billingham, my second, which I've never used and currently use a cheap man bag but I do keep thinking about getting a nice bag... but some free time is what I really want.

Thanks for posting, it looks lovely :D

I've been looking at these since Steve Huff started going on about them. I have a Billingham, my second, which I've never used and currently use a cheap man bag but I do keep thinking about getting a nice bag... but some free time is what I really want.

This is my first camera daily, I actually don't have any. I have one that holds 1 camera with 1 body which isn't so much a bag, more a cover to put inside my luggage.

View attachment 124479

The lens itself is about the same size as my OM/M42 adaptors on their own and weighs about the same.

This has prompted me too look into this, found a long comparison vid on YouTube, actually 1st link.

They are so close I can't tell the difference most of the time, I think the Samyang is sharper and they concluded the Samyang is the better lens and cheaper too.

Back