The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I've just bought some more old lenses :D

I've kept away from old Nikons in the past because I thought they were too expensive and I've also read that they're maybe not the best (sorry for any vintage Nikon lens fans out there) but I spotted a couple of pre Ai's at reasonable prices and as I've always fancied giving them a go and have read that they're amongst the best made lenses I couldn't resist. At the price what could go wrong :D

Also tamron might fix the issue by firmware update which I suspect they'll do if people properly tested the issue and reported the bug. Just moaning on a forum won't really help anyone ;)

If there's AF problems I'm not waiting around for a firmware update which may or may not come, the market would be flooded with returns anyway so you'd save more money by just buying a return/used copy.

I'm on the fence at the moment, the person who reported front focusing seems to not be having the problem now but if the AF completely fails that's hard to ignore, I don't really want to pay twice as much for the Sony and its softer centre either though.

Again I keep thinking Sigma has messed up by not introducing a lens in this range.

I'll still keep my pre-order. You can always return it if it's faulty. I wouldn't really base my decision on one report. Also I find a lot of people are poor at testing lenses.

The 24-105mm looks to be a great lens but it's not f2.8 :p
Also tamron might fix the issue by firmware update which I suspect they'll do if people properly tested the issue and reported the bug. Just moaning on a forum won't really help anyone ;)
I don't think its just one report though, been a few reports on other forums too and from actual buying users as apposed to YouTube videos.
I agree then 24-105mm f4 isn't a f2.8 lens however its a great lens across quite a few different aspects, clearly better than its rivals.

Last edited:
I'll still keep my pre-order. You can always return it if it's faulty. I wouldn't really base my decision on one report. Also I find a lot of people are poor at testing lenses.

The 24-105mm looks to be a great lens but it's not f2.8 :p

Not just one report, one “published” report maybe but seeing some similar things coming from folks in the States who have already received the lens last week.
Will,wait before becoming a beta tester

Not just one report, one “published” report maybe but seeing some similar things coming from folks in the States who have already received the lens last week.
Probably off to Dubai towards the end of the year so will be taking my A7 III. I may opt for a Sony FE 24-105mm f4 G as a one lens solution, however could also take the Zeiss 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 as prime lenses as they are pretty small and light lenses. :)

Probably off to Dubai towards the end of the year so will be taking my A7 III. I may opt for a Sony FE 24-105mm f4 G as a one lens solution, however could also take the Zeiss 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 as prime lenses as they are pretty small and light lenses. :)

Exactly the same travel kit that I use with my A7Riii. Covers all I need. St. Mary's lighthouse at Whitley Bay yesterday. The sun was actually out :)

St. Marys Lighthouse (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
I've just bought some more old lenses :D

I've kept away from old Nikons in the past because I thought they were too expensive and I've also read that they're maybe not the best (sorry for any vintage Nikon lens fans out there) but I spotted a couple of pre Ai's at reasonable prices and as I've always fancied giving them a go and have read that they're amongst the best made lenses I couldn't resist. At the price what could go wrong :D

May have shared this before, link to a website, then click on 'lenses'; most comprehensive reviews of Nikon lenses I've ever seen

www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

If there's AF problems I'm not waiting around for a firmware update which may or may not come, the market would be flooded with returns anyway so you'd save more money by just buying a return/used copy.

I'm on the fence at the moment, the person who reported front focusing seems to not be having the problem now but if the AF completely fails that's hard to ignore, I don't really want to pay twice as much for the Sony and its softer centre either though.

Again I keep thinking Sigma has messed up by not introducing a lens in this range.

Hmmm... AF failure concerned me the most. The others i.e. the misfocuss issue I am not so sure about because there wasn't full details of their settings.
As I said there is 14 days return if it turns out to be a lemon. It'll probably be another month or so before I get it anyway because of the demand. I rather not cancel now and lose my spot in the line in case it turns out to be poor testing or in case tamron quickly acts and releases a FW update.

I am waiting anyway because of low supply. If you cancel now you are in back of the line. With 14 days return policy just send it back if tamron hasn't fixed anything by the time you get it and test it. At the same time we don't know if every lens is affected either.

I am not one that pre-orders lens because I am the same I don't like being beta-tester. In fact this is the first piece of camera gear I have ever pre-ordered but its a lens I am really missing right now :(

Last edited:
the new macs are the ones having update issues! o and keyboard issues too!
Macs can have 101 issues and I'd still prefer them to Windows :p Windows 7 was great, 8 and 10 are horrendous imo.

Hmmm... AF failure concerned me the most. The others i.e. the misfocuss issue I am not so sure about because there wasn't full details of their settings.
As I said there is 14 days return if it turns out to be a lemon. It'll probably be another month or so before I get it anyway because of the demand. I rather not cancel now and lose my spot in the line in case it turns out to be poor testing or in case tamron quickly acts and releases a FW update.

I am waiting anyway because of low supply. If you cancel now you are in back of the line. With 14 days return policy just send it back if tamron hasn't fixed anything by the time you get it and test it. At the same time we don't know if every lens is affected either.

I am not one that pre-orders lens because I am the same I don't like being beta-tester. In fact this is the first piece of camera gear I have ever pre-ordered but its a lens I am really missing right now :(

Think I'll leave my order as is for the moment too until I see some more reviews/tests. Was almost ready to cancel this morning as I still have the 24-70 f4 so I'm not desperate and it's not my most used lens anyway.

And while I'm here I'll put yet another image from Thursday night up.

Oban Sunset by barrysprout, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: nog
Is there an ETA on the initial batch of Tamron 28-75s?

It was supposed to be Friday (25th) I pre ordered within an hour of it being up at WEX though and haven’t heard anything, there were rumours about a delay to June but it’s shipping everywhere else so I’m not sure why we would get hit.

Reply from Wilkinson's:

"The lenses have arrived into the UK. We were promised last week that our full order would be fulfilled, but unfortunately far fewer lenses have arrived with the UK distributor than they expected, and as a result we are only being sent one lens.
This lens has been much more popular than Tamron expected and there is now a worldwide shortage as a result. I'm afraid that I can't get a date for the next arrival currently, but we are pushing to have our stock allocated as quickly as possible."

So your guess is as good as anyone's right now :p

Thanks guys, I've actually been rethinking my purchase of one anyway. I know it's easy to get swept up with quality, corner sharpness etc and I'll admit my FE 28-240mm rarely comes out to play, but for something like a family day out at the zoo it's such a practical tool. On my own I'd have a 55mm 1.8 and 100-400mm, but as a compromise on a family day where the kid is on my shoulders 80% of the time the 28-240mm kinda filled that hole quite nicely. I was planning on trading it in but I think it's a keeper as it's proved useful numerous times now...

DSC03130 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

DSC03025 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Reply from Wilkinson's:

"The lenses have arrived into the UK. We were promised last week that our full order would be fulfilled, but unfortunately far fewer lenses have arrived with the UK distributor than they expected, and as a result we are only being sent one lens.
This lens has been much more popular than Tamron expected and there is now a worldwide shortage as a result. I'm afraid that I can't get a date for the next arrival currently, but we are pushing to have our stock allocated as quickly as possible."

So your guess is as good as anyone's right now :p

That seems odd, full order fulfilment to 1 lens in a week. So a distributor promises you something 1 week to delivering nothing the next with no ETA. I think Tamron are playing the hype game.

I think Tamron are playing the hype game

Which may bite them in the bum with people having more time to cancel pre-orders because of the initial reviews/reports.

I'm still on the fence but the longer I think about it the more I think I don't really need it anyway.

That seems odd, full order fulfilment to 1 lens in a week. So a distributor promises you something 1 week to delivering nothing the next with no ETA. I think Tamron are playing the hype game.

indeed, but may be its a blessing in disguise. If this thing does really have a focussing issues I rather others test it and report it first. So there is either a fix from tamron by the time I receive it or if its a well known fault in certain copies I can test for it and return it.

indeed, but may be its a blessing in disguise. If this thing does really have a focussing issues I rather others test it and report it first. So there is either a fix from tamron by the time I receive it or if its a well known fault in certain copies I can test for it and return it.

Part of me thinks it could be a recall.

The big thing saving Tamron just now (is stock is going to be an issue) is the similar predicament with the Sony 24-105 G lens, most people looking at the Tamron aren’t going to suddenly jump and spend another £1100 for the 24-70 GM if they have to wait a little.

It's not so much the money for me, it's the bulk.
Just spoke to WEX, they’re expecting a shipment in on 31/05 (Thursday) and mine (If I keep the order) should be in that.

Keep it, you can always return the lens if there is really an issue.

It's not so much the money for me, it's the bulk.

Keep it, you can always return the lens if there is really an issue.

It may not be money for you but I suspect for the majority it’s likely to be.

I can always return it obviously however I’ve waited so long I’m not even sure I want it now, been drooling over 24-105 shots on Flickr!

I've actually taken pictures recently which has been nice... Now if only I had the time to process them. LR CC is useful for this, as I can process/edit on my phone or at lunch (via the web).

Sidenote; got a Peak Design 10l sling from the better half for my birthday. Phenomenal bag, swallows gear with being a bucket, comfortable and doesn't look like a camera bag. Hurrah!

The 50 ART is big and quite heavy, the lens looks pretty great on camera, much better than I thought it would after looking at the pics of it off camera. AF lock is fast and no FF/BF issues, eye AF works well, image quality is excellent. Wish it had the assignable lens button.

Weather is awful but will take some snaps. Cant really test CAF today which is a shame.

Back